TESTERS WANTED! ×

New Golf Cart Batteries, Trojan Lead Acid or Upgrade to Lithium?

deejaid

So it’s time for me to get new batteries for my golf cart. As you know, this is not an inexpensive purchase but I’ve been reading more about maintenance free lithium batteries and am intrigued.

My Club Car DS is a 48v and has 6- 8volt Trojan batteries in it. To replace with the same batteries I am looking at $1100-$1200. Cheaper Duracell batteries can be had for about $850. For $2000 I can upgrade to lithium batteries that claim to last for 5x the charge cycle of lead acid batteries, are maintenance free, weight 300 lbs less which will help performance of the cart.

So has anyone upgraded their cart to run lithium batteries? I’m looking at these from Allied Battery.

https://acegolfcartcovers.com/products/golf-cart-lithium-battery-set-for-club-car-ds2000-set-of-4-batteries-48v?variant=28357144936541

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

WITB:

Stan Thompson “Reactionizer” persimmon woods 1-4

Spalding Tour Edition 3-PW

Spalding Top-Flite E.V.A. Sand Club

Rife Legend Z Putter

Are AGM batteries available for golf carts? I put a Duracell AGM in my truck and it's miles better than the lead acid that was once in it. The price difference was only about $30.

In the bag:
Driver: :titelist-small: TSR2 Project X HZRDUS Black 5.5
Fairway: :callaway-small: Apex UW 19° & 21° Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 5.5

Irons: :mizuno-small: JPX 923 HMP 5-PW UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Wedges: :mizuno-small: T-22 Denim Copper 48°, 52° & 56° UST Mamiya Recoil 95 F4
Putter :Sub70: Sycamore 005 Wide Blade
Bag: 
:Ogio: Alpha Convoy 514
Balls: :callaway-small: Chrome Soft X

Cart: :CaddyTek: CaddyLite ONE Ver. 8

God Bless America🇺🇸, God save the King🇬🇧, God defend New Zealand🇳🇿 and thank Christ for Australia🇦🇺!

Are AGM batteries available for golf carts? I put a Duracell AGM in my truck and it's miles better than the lead acid that was once in it. The price difference was only about $30.

Don’t think the Duracell for golf carts is AGM, at least, I see no mention of AGM on the website.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Big difference between AGM and Lithium. AGM's have been a fairly common upgrade in boats for years, however you need a charger (on boats) that accommodates AGM's as the charge cycle is different. The charging I'm referencing is from 110 vs. charging off of an alternator as Matt has in his truck.

I imagine that the same is true for Lithium - special charger required. However, even with that in mind I'd be interested in learning more. I have 4 Trojan 12v that are at the end of their life. Current replacement cost in my area is about $1,000. (With my doing the replacing). Those Trojans are heavier than all heck so more life and lighter batteries is compelling. So definitely some interest on my part.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

We have just placed an order for 20 new EZ Go TXT cars with lithium batteries to replace 10 old off lease lead/acid cars. Should take delivery in 3-5 weeks. I’m quite excited about the reduced maintenance costs and wear and tear on the course due to lighter cars.

It’s my understanding that you can retrofit older golf cars with lithium ion batteries from a Prius. Might want to look into that as a possibility. (I think there is some type of conversation kit that has to be purchased and installed).

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver - Ping G430 Max 9° | Ventus Blue TR 
Hybrid - :srixon-small: ZX 16° & 18° | GD Tour IZ S

2 Iron - :srixon-small: ZU65 17° | AeroTech SteelFiber 110icw S

Irons -  :srixon-small: ZX7 MKII  4-Pw | TTDGTI S400, std length  1° flat
Wedges - :cleveland-small: RTX 6 Tour Rack 50° 54° 58° | TTDGTI S400, std length 1° flat

Putter -  L.A.B. Golf Link.1 | LA Golf P135 shaft | Garsen Quad Tour grip

I found a dealer local and got 6 new 8V Trojan Lead Acid batteries for $900. I like the idea of the lithium as, like you said Tony, the Lead Acid weigh 70lbs each, so the weight savings with lithium would have been 300 lbs, but it would have been $2000 for the lithium batteries and new charger. I figured I’d go with the Trojans this time and in 6-7 years lithium prices should have come down.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

We have just placed an order for 20 new EZ Go TXT cars with lithium batteries to replace 10 old off lease lead/acid cars. Should take delivery in 3-5 weeks. I’m quite excited about the reduced maintenance costs and wear and tear on the course due to lighter cars.

It’s my understanding that you can retrofit older golf cars with lithium ion batteries from a Prius. Might want to look into that as a possibility. (I think there is some type of conversation kit that has to be purchased and installed).

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

If I get a chance I'll post on a golf cart forum to see it anyone has done the upgrade. If you have to make upgrades to the electronics on board - it may not be cost effective.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

So after some research it looks like the Lithium can be a direct drop in replacement for FC Batteries. However in pricing out both the batteries and charger - it doesn't make economic sense (between 1,900 - 2,400 for batteries and charger) .  On the other hand if I was buying a new cart I'd opt for the Lithium since the upcharge isn't that high 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up dropping 4 new wet cells in this past weekend. I got the new Crown batteries from my marina - they're standard golf cart batteries and ended up costing me $150. each. The identical Crown batteries at one local golf cart dealer were $190. The other local dealer stocks only Trojan 12v and he wanted $230 a piece. The Crown and Trojan batteries are identical in amp hr ratings.

Since this last set of Trojans only lasted me 4 years it didn't make sense to spend the extra $ for them. Also saved myself lots of $$$ by putting them in myself. Note: not recommended for people with bad backs since they weight 80+ lbs a piece.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

Good find on the lithium upgrade, I'll definitely look in to that for next time.  Last time I'd looked in to it was a few years ago and there was no direct drop in solution.  Still cost at least $2k and you had to get a new charger and change the wiring in your cart.  

4 new 12v Trojans run me $800 up here.  Doesn't matter if I install or have the dealer do it, same price.  I can usually get 4-6 years out of a set so I'm a ways away from having to replace again.  If they truly last 5x as long and only cost twice as much it really does seem like a no brainer to go lithium.

Driver: :taylormade-small: SLDR w/ Fujikura Ventus Black

3w: :taylormade-small:'16 M2 hl w/ Diamana D+ 82

5w: :cleveland-small: Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Yellow

Hybrid: :cleveland-small: 22 deg. Launcher HB w/ HZRDUS Black

Irons: :cleveland-small: 5i - gap Launcher CBX w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 54 CBX & 58 Zipcore w/ Nippon Modus 3 125

Putter: :odyssey-small: Red 7s

Good find on the lithium upgrade, I'll definitely look in to that for next time.  Last time I'd looked in to it was a few years ago and there was no direct drop in solution.  Still cost at least $2k and you had to get a new charger and change the wiring in your cart.  
4 new 12v Trojans run me $800 up here.  Doesn't matter if I install or have the dealer do it, same price.  I can usually get 4-6 years out of a set so I'm a ways away from having to replace again.  If they truly last 5x as long and only cost twice as much it really does seem like a no brainer to go lithium.

Great price on the Trojans installed. The golf cart dealers around here want $200 to do the install which is why I did it by myself.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

17 hours ago, tony@CIC said:

Great price on the Trojans installed. The golf cart dealers around here want $200 to do the install which is why I did it by myself.

I did it myself last time too.  Made a DIY battery strap with some chain and carabiners and it worked great.  So much easier to get them out of the cart compared to doing it by hand without the strap.

• 4 months later...

I was hoping to see some feedback from someone who had switched from lead acids to the drop in lithiums. I ordered the Allied drop in set last weekend, very curious to see how they perform in my 48v Club Car Precedent. Current batteries are Trojans but on the older side. Also upgraded the motor to a high speed, high torque unit that consequently wears the Trojans a little quicker that before. 

I was hoping to see some feedback from someone who had switched from lead acids to the drop in lithiums. I ordered the Allied drop in set last weekend, very curious to see how they perform in my 48v Club Car Precedent. Current batteries are Trojans but on the older side. Also upgraded the motor to a high speed, high torque unit that consequently wears the Trojans a little quicker that before. 

Once installed and running any details would be appreciated.

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

On 12/24/2019 at 5:26 PM, tony@CIC said:

Once installed and running any details would be appreciated.

Yeah, I’d love to hear how they work out for you, although I hope I’m not buying any more batteries for a few years.

WITB:

Rife Legend Z Putter

Not sure if this will assist.

If you Google Cell site batteries you will find deep cell 12 v 185Ah batteries well under the prices I see in this thread. Just hook them in series for you 48 volt system.

Size would've the big issue 

Just an option, I use them for all kinds of charge discharge stuff like golf carts, trolling motors and LED lights

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Don’t recommend the Allied. Have put them in 7 golf carts and have had issues with 4 carts. Original ads claimed drop in and use your own charger. Now with some Club Cars you have to bypass the onboard computer and change to their charger. On Ezgo, Allied now requires you use their charger. All installs require a battery balancer. All at your cost. Adds 3-4 hundred bucks to price of batteries. Not really a drop in solution anymore. When Allied discovers an issue, they require the customer to buy additional items to make the batteries work. I have had to buy 5 chargers, 3 bypass kits (OBC club cars) and 3 battery balances. Now Allied is pushing 2-  48 volt battery packages. When these started having issues, they want you to add a 3rd battery. They claim it’s due to controllers being turned up on non fleet carts.  Best to avoid this company right now. Carts that I have installed these batteries in that have no issues, they work well and people like them. Carts that have issues, and I have one that has been down for months with no help from Allied, can’t even get a support person to return a call, are very bad. Do some research before buying Allied. I have posted my problems on their site and they will not publish or attempt to resolve simple issues. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/31/2019 at 5:45 PM, deejaid said:

Yeah, I’d love to hear how they work out for you, although I hope I’m not buying any more batteries for a few years.

I would not look into changing the battery type until it is time for a completely new cart. That what the charger and all can be included at the same time. 

Golf is simple - people are complicated.

5w Taylormade SLDR S 19* - 220yd, Ping G2 5-U - 190-105, Maltby M+ 54* & MG 60* - 95-75, Evnroll ER8, Titleist 816 H1 4h 21*, Maltby 4 Hybrid Iron 24* - 210-200, Callaway XR16 8* - 235 carry

886809507_image1(5).jpeg.56bc697c3b02b1fb00feb8d4b66389bc~2.jpeg

In my experience with carts retrofitted with lithium cells are something to be avoided. However, my experience with them and talking to the manager at the course that used them was a couple years ago, so I imagine things have improved. The problem wasn't with the batteries themselves, it was always the electronics messing up. Additionally, one of the benefits of lead acid batteries is actually their weight. 4 or 6 deep cycle batteries keeps the center of gravity low on carts and makes it hard to tip them unlike gas and lithium carts but that is more of a concern for rental fleets and not personal carts. My other thing with lithium retrofit carts is that they always seem sluggish but that is probably tied to the electronics protecting the batteries. Lithium carts are the future but I'm not a fan of the retrofitting old carts. If you want cheaper batteries and can install them yourself, I would recommend calling your local battery distributors and avoid the golf cart shops. It seems you can usually find the Trojans for under $100/battery. In my experience, Trojans seem to last the longest but there are cheaper options. I've used the Interstate deep cycle in the past and they lasted about 40% less than the Trojans, so the savings wasn't worth it. 

• 2 months later...

I decided to take the jump to Allied Lithium 48V 30AH in my Yamaha G29 in January 2021.  My cart is mostly used for pleasure along 100+ miles of paved cart paths.  My cart is is very good condition for its age, so it will be many years before I need a new one.  I was tired of dealing with the lead acid maintenance challenges and the inconsistent power they provided.  I spoke to a couple different shops.  The first guy said, there was no way he would install the 2 battery unit in my cart. I would not be happy with the mileage and would experience power failure on inclines.  He said a 3 battery setup would be the least he would install if I wanted them.  The second shop I spoke to said, try the 2 battery install, and I could always add more batteries if needed.  I went with the second guy, but shortly after added a third and then a 4th battery.

I must say. the cart runs much better now.  Smoother acceleration, consistent power and speed, 50-60 miles between charges on a much lighter cart.  The cart has a stock controller and motor, so its not much for speed, which I would like to change.  Top end is about  14mph and I'd like to get it around 20-22 mph.  Trying to understand my options for improving top end while minimizing the loss of torque needed for extra passengers. 

Any suggestions?

1 hour ago, Lucky Guy said:

I decided to take the jump to Allied Lithium 48V 30AH in my Yamaha G29 in January 2021.  My cart is mostly used for pleasure along 100+ miles of paved cart paths.  My cart is is very good condition for its age, so it will be many years before I need a new one.  I was tired of dealing with the lead acid maintenance challenges and the inconsistent power they provided.  I spoke to a couple different shops.  The first guy said, there was no way he would install the 2 battery unit in my cart. I would not be happy with the mileage and would experience power failure on inclines.  He said a 3 battery setup would be the least he would install if I wanted them.  The second shop I spoke to said, try the 2 battery install, and I could always add more batteries if needed.  I went with the second guy, but shortly after added a third and then a 4th battery.

I must say. the cart runs much better now.  Smoother acceleration, consistent power and speed, 50-60 miles between charges on a much lighter cart.  The cart has a stock controller and motor, so its not much for speed, which I would like to change.  Top end is about  14mph and I'd like to get it around 20-22 mph.  Trying to understand my options for improving top end while minimizing the loss of torque needed for extra passengers. 

Any suggestions?

I'm not an expert, but always thought there was a governor on carts. We have an EZ Go RXV that had some motor work done about 3 yrs ago and it zooms by the other carts. now. I'm thinking they disconnected the governor or forgot to reconnect it. There are a number of dedicated golf cart forums that can give you specific advice. 

Left Hand orientation

EZGO TXT 48v cart

I took the plunge with my old cart this week.  Ordered a 2 battery setup from Allied for the 36v EZGO txt.  Took out the 6 lead acid batteries and put in two 36v 36ah Allied's.  So far all my electronics work and the cart runs about 2mph faster than before.  My course opens this coming Sat so that will be the real test.  If I can get in 36 holes on a charge and still make it home I'll be happy.  I've got 2 years to be able to add an additional battery if I want more range.  Got the batteries and a charger for $1950 shipped with no tax.

• 1 month later...

I have a Yamaha Drive2 PTV golf cart with Yamaha’s AC motor, and it came new with six 8-volt lead acid batteries.  The cart gets used an average of three times per week on one of our two golf courses, both of which have sizeable elevation changes throughout the courses.  After three and one-half years the original Trojan T-875 batteries were failing and barely able to make it through one round.  Based on my research, I decided to go with RELi3ON® InSight lithium batteries, provided at cost by RELi3ON®.

While most applications will work fine with just 2 of the InSight lithiums (each is 48 volts, 30 amp-hrs), because of the frequency we use our cart and the elevation changes, I went with 4 InSights for a total of 120 amp-hrs.

After my first couple month’s use of the RELi3ON® InSight lithium batteries, I have found that they perform perfectly.  No matter how hard the cart is pushed, they never even get warm to the touch.  They charge back to 100% and 120-amp hours in just a few hours.  Even after driving around and playing 36 holes on my very hilly courses, the remaining charge is still in the mid 60% range.

Handling and “zippiness” are superb due to the permanent weight reduction.  Another bonus is not ever having to think about checking and adding distilled water to the batteries.

The install was straight forward.  I have done a write-up with pictures if you are interested.  It is at https://insight.daumphotography.com/2021/04/26/36-holes-no-problem-powered-to-go-and-go-with-reli3on-insight-lithium-batteries/

Let me know if you have any questions.

InSight-18b.jpg

• 2 months later...

I ran into the issue Captgriff mentioned. I would recommend replacing them with the same type the original cart came with (doesn't have to be same brand) 

More than likely, newer carts are going to be equipped with newer batter types like lithium. 

For reference, I found this article pretty useful. 

https://www.golfcartgarage.com/blog/types-of-golf-cart-batteries-explained/

Just trying to get good enough to beat my brother

• 1 month later...

This is an update on my post above on April 27th, re converting my Yamaha Drive2 PTV to run on RELi3ON® InSight lithium batteries.  Recently I was away on an extended trip and shoot so my cart sat for more than 7 weeks.  I don't like leaving the golf cart on a charger when I am away, so I set it to "Tow" and powered down the lithium batteries.  When I returned and turned the cart back on, the batteries were at 99% of a full charge!  Pretty outstanding.  Never could do that with lead acid batteries in the cart.

• 5 months later...

Reply to EzgoOwnerx2. Absolutely agree Allied are a joke and should be avoided at all costs. They continually lie about delivery dates and when I cancelled, they told me I couldn’t. I have told them to f... off and they haven’t responded. Aid they do I am filing an FTC complaint and also contacting the FBI as I believe they are just scam artists. Beware.

My update on the Allied batteries.  Used them for an entire season and am very pleased with the performance.  I still have the 2 battery setup.  I can get in 27 no problem.  I think 36 would be pushing it, but I could always add a 3rd battery and get more range.  

For price, ease of install and zero issues I would have no problem recommending them.  I have 2 other buddies that have since gotten them last season and 2 more that are switching this season.  

Here's the only 2 issues we have seen between the 3 carts that have them installed already.  One of my buddies has a lifted and sped up EZGO RXV.  He had to go with a 3 battery setup right away because his cart would cut out when going full speed (around 30mph)  Adding the 3rd battery solved his problem.

The last issue is going to be with any lithium setup vs lead acid.  There is no "run down" period.  With lead acid as the batteries get close to empty the cart will slow down and you can often limp home.  With lithium batteries your cart will go full speed until it dies and then IT WILL NOT MOVE!  We had one night we had to haul a generator out to the course and charge a cart long enough to get it home.  (FWIW that's about 2 beers worth of time)  So just a heads up to keep an eye on your battery meter if you make the switch.

LITHIUM. Before getting into golf the manufacturing company I was with dealt with numerous battery products, mostly lead-acid. When LI batteries appeared, every product increased it's performance.

Certified Club Fitter.

Ping G425 Max Driver 10.5° w/Fujikura Ventus TR

Ping G425 Max 5-7-9 Fairway Woods w/Ping Alta CB

Ping G425 Irons 5-U w/Ping Alta CB (Power-Spec Lofts)

Ping 4.0 Eye2 Glide Wedges 54°-58° w/Recoil SmacWrap

Ping Redwood ZB Putter w/PP58

PING Pioneer Cart Bag

Lamkin Sonar+ Wrap Mid-Size Grips