Testers Wanted! Titleist SM10 and Stix Golf Clubs ×

Suggestions for Irons to Replace 9 year old Diablo Forged

dixonterp10

After 9 years with the Diablo Forged irons, I am considering replacing them. Looking to get a bit more distance, but more consistent distances off the face, especially higher irons.

Problem is, there are not a ton of quality golf shops in the area that offer a variety of options, outside the major OEMs.

Any suggestions on brands and models I should try? Does not have to be forged but I still want something that has a nice feel on impact. There seems to be so many great options, but limited in this area.

Thanks in advance.

Having just gone through a bag refitting - and then done it again to get it correct a second time - I found a few brands that were completely under the radar that performed amazingly well.

BEST LOW COST - I don't think there is a more solid option in the sub $1000 category out there than @GolfSub70 I was able to test drive the 639MB a few months back and I'm still kicking myself for not waiting an extra month and a half to make the move to them instead of the Wilson Staff Models. The performance of the SM's isn't a bad thing at all, but when you think about the 639MB's being less than half the cost - it's a NO BRAINER. They have since added a few additional options to that line that make it an even better value.

BEST "OFF-BRAND" TO TRY - If the Sub70 seems too good to be true (which I will tell you they are every bit as good as any club on the market today) you could opt to try the New Level irons. They have some great designs as well, but again, cost vs. performance, I have to give the nod to the guys at Sub70 due to price vs. performance. New Level is great, and Eric was amazing through the process, but at $200 an iron vs $85 

BEST HIGH PERFORMANCE/IMPROVEMENT - I don't think there's a better blended iron right now than the Mizuno 919 Tour. It's the feel of a blade with just that added touch of forgiveness. I tried the 900 Forged model earlier this year and it wasn't for me, but the 919 Tour could have gone in the bag if it weren't for the Wilson's hitting the shelves right before I hit them.

BEST BLADE - If you're looking for straight up ball control performance, I will always choose a blade. There's no hot spots, cold spots or craziness to them - it's just a chunk of metal on a stick. Now that said, there's not a bad blade out there, but I have to say the new Wilson SM's are fantastic. Great feel, penetrating ball flight, etc... If I were in the market right now and hadn't just dialed these in, I would have a tough time recommending them, but since they were perfectly done for me, I have to give them the nod.

Now, If it were me, right now, and I was ready to upgrade, I'd be sending Sub70 my check for $840 and getting a set of the 639MB's with the KBS C-Taper X shafts and calling the search over. Though I'd be tempted to take the $600-800 savings and grab a set of the RAW wedges to go with them...

In The Bag:

:wilson-small: Cortex Driver - 9° - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 7 X-Flex Shaft - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: Staff Model Blades - 3-PW - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: PMP RAW Wedges - 50°, 54° & 58° - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:odyssey-small: Tri-Hot #3 (2002) Putter - Super Stroke Flatso 2.0 Grip

:titelist-small: AVX Balls  +  :wilson-small: Exo Bag  +  :footjoy-small: shoes

5 minutes ago, Waazzupppp said:

Having just gone through a bag refitting - and then done it again to get it correct a second time - I found a few brands that were completely under the radar that performed amazingly well.

BEST LOW COST - I don't think there is a more solid option in the sub $1000 category out there than @GolfSub70 I was able to test drive the 639MB a few months back and I'm still kicking myself for not waiting an extra month and a half to make the move to them instead of the Wilson Staff Models. The performance of the SM's isn't a bad thing at all, but when you think about the 639MB's being less than half the cost - it's a NO BRAINER. They have since added a few additional options to that line that make it an even better value.

BEST "OFF-BRAND" TO TRY - If the Sub70 seems too good to be true (which I will tell you they are every bit as good as any club on the market today) you could opt to try the New Level irons. They have some great designs as well, but again, cost vs. performance, I have to give the nod to the guys at Sub70 due to price vs. performance. New Level is great, and Eric was amazing through the process, but at $200 an iron vs $85 

BEST HIGH PERFORMANCE/IMPROVEMENT - I don't think there's a better blended iron right now than the Mizuno 919 Tour. It's the feel of a blade with just that added touch of forgiveness. I tried the 900 Forged model earlier this year and it wasn't for me, but the 919 Tour could have gone in the bag if it weren't for the Wilson's hitting the shelves right before I hit them.

BEST BLADE - If you're looking for straight up ball control performance, I will always choose a blade. There's no hot spots, cold spots or craziness to them - it's just a chunk of metal on a stick. Now that said, there's not a bad blade out there, but I have to say the new Wilson SM's are fantastic. Great feel, penetrating ball flight, etc... If I were in the market right now and hadn't just dialed these in, I would have a tough time recommending them, but since they were perfectly done for me, I have to give them the nod.

Now, If it were me, right now, and I was ready to upgrade, I'd be sending Sub70 my check for $840 and getting a set of the 639MB's with the KBS C-Taper X shafts and calling the search over. Though I'd be tempted to take the $600-800 savings and grab a set of the RAW wedges to go with them...

1. Thank you for the detailed write up, this is much appreciated.  Do you know any ideas of where I could hit the Sub70?  Also, I would be needing more of a Cavity Back for foregiveness, not consistent enough to hit a blade.

3 minutes ago, dixonterp10 said:
  1. Thank you for the detailed write up, this is much appreciated.  Do you know any ideas of where I could hit the Sub70?  Also, I would be needing more of a Cavity Back for foregiveness, not consistent enough to hit a blade.

go to https://www.golfsub70.com/ and you can go to demo products and they will send anything you want to try out to you!

WITB 2019

Driver: :taylormade-small:Taylormade M2 8.5 w/ Xstiff Aldila RIP Beta shaft

2 Iron: :taylormade-small:Talormade P790 UDI 17 degree w/ Hazardus Xstiff driver shaft

4-PW: :taylormade-small:Taylormade PSI iron w/ KBS C-taper stiff iron shafts

52 degree: :cleveland-small:Cleveland RTX 3

56 degree: :callaway-small:Callaway Mac Daddy 4

60 degree-::taylormade-small:Taylormade milled grind

Putter: :cameron-small:Scotty Cameron Dual Balance X5

Ball::titelist-small:ProV1x

Contact them directly. For a few bucks, they will setup a club and get one out to you. Try reaching out to Jason - [email protected] after checking out their website and deciding what you want to take a look at. These guys are top notch in the service department and can help you get dialed in ASAP.

In The Bag:

:wilson-small: Cortex Driver - 9° - Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Black 7 X-Flex Shaft - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: Staff Model Blades - 3-PW - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:wilson-small: PMP RAW Wedges - 50°, 54° & 58° - KBS C-Taper 130 X Flex Shafts - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 Grip
:odyssey-small: Tri-Hot #3 (2002) Putter - Super Stroke Flatso 2.0 Grip

:titelist-small: AVX Balls  +  :wilson-small: Exo Bag  +  :footjoy-small: shoes

I recently bought a set of irons from Sub 70. These are great people to work with and Jason will go the extra mile.

D- Tour Edge EXS 220

4W- Sub 70 949X

Hybrid- Sub 70 949X

Utility- Sub 70 699 U  21 degree

Irons- Sub 70 749 5-PW

Wedges- Sub 70 286 50+54, Tour Edge 1 out 58 degree 

Putter- Cleveland Huntington Beach soft # 11

Ball- Titleist Tour Soft

Try secondswing.com for a two week trial on a couple clubs. As for selection, they have almost everything you would want.

Personally, if it was me, after the Diablo’s I would seriously look at a prior year Cobra GI set, such as the F8’s.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder