Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Blind squirrel trying to find a nut

Sgrant9607

My son bought me a Ping g400 driver for christmas last year. Great club and I hit it way farther than my old BB, but only if I de-loft it to 9.5 (big minus setting), slow my swing down a bit and play it back in my stance (de-loft some more). Of course, anything other perfect timing and  its either snap hook or balloon like crazy. The shaft is an Alta 55 soft regular. I'm thinking this shaft is a little too soft for my swing (swing speed =95 mph). Here's where the bling squirrel comes in,  in Springfield ,IL your only options for anything Ping is Dick's or Scheels. Both are woefully lacking in any type of shaft to demo (each had 1 Alta in stiff only), so I'm here looking for any suggestions. Thanks in advance.

I have a G400 Max with the Alta in stiff and swing 105+. While there are lots of other variables in the swing, the regular may not be too soft, you should be okay with the stiff to at least try the shaft, and as mentioned the ping tour shafts are good shafts to try as an inexpensive option.

That said swing speed isn’t the only factor to consider when looking at shafts. You also need to consider how you load the shaft which would influence shaft characteristics such as weight, flex, and shaft profile. Many of the club and aftermarket shaft companies have fitting tools on their sites to help you pick shafts. I have even seen sites that offer $20 trials.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Everything @cnosil said is spot on, as usual.  I had that same Alta 55 R in my G400 SFT, but I had to change it out for a stiffer shaft because it was just too inconsistent for me (my swing might've had some inconsistencies in it as well).  The thing that I've found at Dick's is they go strictly off of your swing speed to fit you.  While I wasn't fit at Dick's for this driver, I do know that this is the same method for how I was fit.  I was swinging around 88 mph that day, in that bay, but I had never played an R-flex before, nor that long of a shaft.  When I went out to the range I was having the same troubles you are describing with the ballooning, which is the main reason I went back to an S-flex.   If you still have your old driver laying around, you might snag that shaft and throw the Ping adapter on it and give it a shot.  Also, try choking down on your current set-up and see if that helps.

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

I should add that I was able to demo the Alta in S flex and did not hit it as well. I think it was a little too stiff. One thought did occur to me, Scheels had some shafts for the G410, but the adapter is different than the 400, so we didn’t try it. If I demoed the 410 with different shafts, do you think the results would be similar in a relative sense if I had that shaft on the 400, or are we talking apples and oranges here?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• 2 weeks later...
I should add that I was able to demo the Alta in S flex and did not hit it as well. I think it was a little too stiff. One thought did occur to me, Scheels had some shafts for the G410, but the adapter is different than the 400, so we didn’t try it. If I demoed the 410 with different shafts, do you think the results would be similar in a relative sense if I had that shaft on the 400, or are we talking apples and oranges here?

They are definitely different. I’ve games both in fact. The 410 is louder but far more adjustable - if you were to find the proper fit there it is unlikely that you could replicate it in the 400. My fit in the 410 is far different including shaft weight and flex. The 400 is a 10 degree turned up to 11 with a Ping Pro R flex that weighs 65 grams. My 410 is a 12 turned down to 11, weight set to fade and shaft is a 45 gram senior flex.

Both were fit by fitters - I’ve actually gained clubhead speed between the fittings but ended on a lighter, weaker shaft - my driver SS is 92-95 so around yours.

I know we all try to grab that extra little nut. Were you able to try your current set up on an LM at Dicks. If your numbers are good I wouldn’t change it. I honestly think it’s far easier to game a shaft that is too “weak” than one that’s too strong.

I hope this helps - good luck

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

They are definitely different. I’ve games both in fact. The 410 is louder but far more adjustable - if you were to find the proper fit there it is unlikely that you could replicate it in the 400. My fit in the 410 is far different including shaft weight and flex. The 400 is a 10 degree turned up to 11 with a Ping Pro R flex that weighs 65 grams. My 410 is a 12 turned down to 11, weight set to fade and shaft is a 45 gram senior flex.

Both were fit by fitters - I’ve actually gained clubhead speed between the fittings but ended on a lighter, weaker shaft - my driver SS is 92-95 so around yours.

I know we all try to grab that extra little nut. Were you able to try your current set up on an LM at Dicks. If your numbers are good I wouldn’t change it. I honestly think it’s far easier to game a shaft that is too “weak” than one that’s too strong.

I hope this helps - good luck

Rev,

Is your 45g a stock shaft? I'm also surprised that given your swing speed they put you into a senior shaft. When I was fitted I had the 410 on a senior flex (part of the Official Tester for 410), but my fitter changed me out to a regular flex. My swing speed currently tops out at about 81. Note the reg flex is on a stock Alta CB 55 cut down about 1/2"

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Left Hand orientation

:taylormade-small:SIM 2 D Max with Fujikura Air Speeder Shaft 

Cobra  Radspeed 3W/RIptide Shaft
:ping-small:  410  Hybrids 22*, 26*

Cobra Speed Zone 6-GP/Recoil ESX 460 F3 Shafts 

:titelist-small: SM7 54* Wedge

:ping-small: Glide 3.0  60* Wedge

:odyssey-small: O Works putter

:ShotScope: V3
:918457628_PrecisionPro:NX9-HD

:CaddyTek: - 4 Wheel 

EZGO TXT 48v cart
:footjoy-small: - too many shoes to list and so many to buy

:1590477705_SunMountain: And  BAG Boy

Golf Balls: Vice Pro Plus 

2020 Official Teste:SuperSpeed: Beginning Driver Speed  - 78

2019 Official Tester :ping-small:  410 Driver

2018 Official Tester :wilson-small: C300

@tony it’s the Alta Distanza - not stock but a no upcharge option on the G410.

My Ping Long game fitter, the regional Ping Rep, was the one who fit me for it. He acknowledged that it was a seemingly bizarre combination for me.

It proves that you can’t base flex solely on SS - based on SS I’m between R and S. This combo is very accurate and consistent for me - I gained 10 plus yards of carry over the G400 LST and a few yards total

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD