TESTERS WANTED! ×

Titliest Continues to Dominate Equipmemt Counts on the PGA Tour

Is it fair to call them the No. 1 iron, driver, wedge in golf? 

Some notes below from a press release on just how domimate Titleist is on tour this year. 

PGA:  It was a Titleist Brand Ambassador 1-2-3 finish at the regular season-ending Wyndham Championship, where Titleist Brand Ambassador J.T. Poston earned his first career PGA TOUR victory … Poston finished one shot clear of Webb Simpson and two better than Ben An  Viktor Hovland (Pro V1), finished solo 4th, another shot back … Closing with a career-best eight-under par 62 en route to a tournament record-tying 22-under 258 victory total, Poston became the first player since 1974 to win a 72-hole stroke-play event on tour without any bogeys or worse … Simpson fired a final round 65 to secure his runner-up finish for the second straight week, while An, who held or shared the lead after each of the first three rounds, closed with a 67.

>Eleven of the 12 players who finished among the top 10 and ties trusted Titleist golf balls for their success, and so did every other player who finished in the top 35 … That’s 34 of the top 35 finishers teed up a Pro V1 or Pro V1x with so much on the line at the PGA TOUR’s regular season finale.

> Poston’s win advances the 2018-19 PGA TOUR victory total for Titleist golf ball players to 23, nearly four times the nearest competitor (6) and more than all other golf balls combined … A total of 120 (77%) players teed up a Titleist at the Wyndham Championship, more than eight times the nearest competitor with 14. 

> What’s in the Titleist Bags of the top three finishers at the Wyndham Championship:

J.T. Poston: Pro V1x, TS3 (9.5) driver, TS2 (15) fairway metal, 716 T-MB (3-5) and 718 AP2 (6-9) irons, Vokey Design SM7 pitching (46), gap (50), sand (55) and lob (60) wedges, Scotty Cameron GoLo putter.

Webb Simpson: Pro V1, TS3 (10.5) driver, TS2 (15) and 913Fd (18) fairway metals, 913Hd (20) and 915Hd (23.5) hybrids, New 620 MB (5-PW) irons, Vokey Design SM7 gap (54) and prototype lob (60) wedges.

Ben An: Pro V1x, TS3 (8.5) driver, U-500 2-iron, 716 T-MB (3-5) and 620 MB (6-9) irons, Vokey Design SM7 pitching (48), gap (52), sand (56) and prototype (60) lob wedges, Scotty Cameron TNP putter.

> For the second time this season, the Titleist brand swept all eight major equipment categories on both the PGA TOUR and Korn Ferry Tour in the same week ... It is an achievement that had never been accomplished until Titleist made history by sweeping the Travelers Championship and Wichita Open in June ... The eight major tee-through-green equipment categories include golf balls, drivers, fairway metals, hybrids, utility irons, irons, wedges and putters ... The recently introduced T100 irons were the most played single model at the event with 15 sets in play, while the TS3 driver was the field favorite with 34.

> At the Wyndham Championship, Titleist was the top choice across every category for the 11th time this year ... The other tournaments in which Titleist has topped every major equipment category include: 3M Open, Rocket Mortgage Classic, Travelers Championship, AT&T Byron Nelson, Wells Fargo Championship, Corales Puntacana Championship, Valspar Championship, Honda Classic, Farmers Insurance Open and Sony Open in Hawaii ... This marks the fourth time on the Korn Ferry Tour that Titleist has swept the counts.

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Does this mean best equipment or most money spent on recruiting players?

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Does this mean best equipment or most money spent on recruiting players?

Take Dead Aim

Titleist doesn’t throw money at guys to tee it up like TM does or did. Titleist does pay staffers and ball contracts. Most pros leave Titleist to chase the big payday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atmos Blue 6S

Atmos Red 7S
 Atmos Blue 8S
Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite S
SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M - 62M

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)

Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)

Pro V1 / Z-Star

They have been a dominant force on tour in equipment played which hasn’t been the case for several years. Their win totals and performance from brand ambassadors has been impressive too.

They only have about 23 of their 69 brand ambassadors on the pga tour inside the top 150 owgr.  

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

This is what happens when you **listen** to your consumer. Titleist was always a slow adapter to developing products and leaving their traditionalist values. The clubs followed the path of the ProV1’s level of innovation and here we are; a top to bottom offering that fits a very wide spectrum of golfer. And not only that, a very strong offering at each level.

I personally believe it started to evolve when they released the 910 series drivers. Soliciting input drove them to a point where they innovate and build a product that players would choose over a weekly royalty.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Titleist doesn’t throw money at guys to tee it up like TM does or did. Titleist does pay staffers and ball contracts. Most pros leave Titleist to chase the big payday.

Thanks. My first thought was that on the pro level they were following the TM print. 11 of 14 in my bag are Titleist regardless.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/5/2019 at 4:59 AM, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Is it fair to call them the No. 1 iron, driver, wedge in golf? 

Well, that data certainly suggests that's the case.  Anyone know which mfg's. are in 2nd thru 4th place?  I wonder how this analysis looks on the LPGA?

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

9 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Well, that data certainly suggests that's the case.  Anyone know which mfg's. are in 2nd thru 4th place?  I wonder how this analysis looks on the LPGA?

Well since most companies don't send out press releases saying we are 2nd or 4th place 😉I don't have it real handy.  i've  worked on getting the complete list weekly from the part that does the sruvey, but no luck so far.

As for LPGA, I can tell you this, PING dominates the iron category on a week in and week out basis with the I210, almost like it's the official iron of the LPGA!

6 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

As for LPGA, I can tell you this, PING dominates the iron category

Great, it's official, I play girly-man clubs 🤣

53 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

Is the retail version of Titleist products the same as what you find on tour?

Yes but to tighter tolerances. Sometimes they will have prototype heads or shafts but it’s all the same

edit: they have tour issued balls like left or right dash and +.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I was going to note that the LPGA seems to be dominated by Ping - given that many of us would do well to emulate their games that's not bad for those of us who game Ping equipment.

I would also note that the most common ball used by those Ping players is Titleist.

So Rob why don't you talk Titleist into having MGS test their irons to see if they really are number one - not on tour but with a normal set of golfers? 🙂

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

8 minutes ago, Middler said:

+1. Not that the Titleist Pro V1/V1X isn’t one of the best balls, but it’s all about endorsement $ in the end. Titleist balls have a lot of wins because they endorse a lot of players.

Has there been a player whose performance changed significantly after changing balls, clubs, apparel, etc.? Do you think any pro would switch for $ knowing their performance might suffer?

Look at players not under contract and see what they play. Lots of non contracted players using titleist and some using Bridgestone balls.

mizuno irons get a lot of non contracted players and ping, titleist and Tm get a lot in the woods/hybrids. Woodland switched his ping fw for a new titleist one. 

Has there been a player whose performance changed significantly after changing balls, clubs, apparel, etc.? Do you think any pro would switch for $ knowing their performance might suffer?

I am pretty sure the answer to this is yes. Name that comes to mind is Bubba to Volvik balls. I know there are others but the names escape me; most are ball change related.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 hours ago, revkev said:

So Rob why don't you talk Titleist into having MGS test their irons to see if they really are number one - not on tour but with a normal set of golfers? 🙂

That request has been made several times, and will be brought up again more than once over the next couple days while I'm in WI. 

38 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

That request has been made several times, and will be brought up again more than once over the next couple days while I'm in WI. 

I volunteer to test the toe forgiveness on the cb 😃🤪

+1. Not that the Titleist Pro V1/V1X isn’t one of the best balls, but it’s all about endorsement $ in the end. Titleist balls have a lot of wins because they endorse a lot of players.

Did you happen to catch the MGS ball test? Actually it is one of the best balls and guys from other OEMs use it - particularly Calloway.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

I owe Middler an apology - I didn't properly read his post - I read "The Pro VI and Pro V1x are not one of the best balls...." rather than what he actually wrote.

Sorry about that.

And it's raining again. 😞

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

On 8/27/2019 at 9:24 AM, revkev said:

I was going to note that the LPGA seems to be dominated by Ping - given that many of us would do well to emulate their games that's not bad for those of us who game Ping equipment.

So I should be channeling Lexi Thompson instead of Tony Finau?  🙂

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

So I should be channeling Lexi Thompson instead of Tony Finau?  🙂

Neither. Channel what your body can do

So I should be channeling Lexi Thompson instead of Tony Finau?  

Those are two outstanding young athletes - good luck with that. :)

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Neither. Channel what your body can do

Umm, you're not giving me much to work with here 😉.  I always channel my Rickie Fowler or Brandt Snedeker on the putting green.  I like those decisive "pop" putt strokes.

18 minutes ago, Middler said:

Though legit examples, they’re exceptions that don’t disprove the point. I doubt most players would change balls, equipment if it’s going to hamper their performance. When they do change, they probably don’t see any significant change good or bad. The big name companies can all make a good tour ball and/or good clubs. And isn’t it well known that big name pros can have any club mods they want as long as the sponsors name is on it. Sorta like NASCAR where the cars may resemble stock, but there’s nothing stock on the race car.

Agree to disagree. 

Every Tour player will say that the single hardest piece of equipment to adjust to is a new ball. 

A ball changes feel, spin, launch window, wind performance, angle of descent etc 

35 minutes ago, Middler said:

Though legit examples, they’re exceptions that don’t disprove the point. I doubt most players would change balls, equipment if it’s going to hamper their performance. When they do change, they probably don’t see any significant change good or bad. The big name companies can all make a good tour ball and/or good clubs. And isn’t it well known that big name pros can have any club mods they want as long as the sponsors name is on it. Sorta like NASCAR where the cars may resemble stock, but there’s nothing stock on the race car.

A majority of pros play the same ball as retail version and most have clubs the same as retail but with tighter tolerances. No players can’t just have any club made with their sponsor stamp. Rory tried that with tigers miuras and was told no 

15 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Agree to disagree. 

Every Tour player will say that the single hardest piece of equipment to adjust to is a new ball. 

A ball changes feel, spin, launch window, wind performance, angle of descent etc 

I’m with jlukes. There’s a reason tiger has played the same ball forever and why bubba struggle when he went to volvik, rory when he first switched to Nike. Why Brooks still plays titleist.

9 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

A majority of pros play the same ball as retail version and most have clubs the same as retail but with tighter tolerances. No players can’t just have any club made with their sponsor stamp. Rory tried that with tigers miuras and was told no 

I’m with jlukes. There’s a reason tiger has played the same ball forever and why bubba struggle when he went to volvik, rory when he first switched to Nike. Why Brooks still plays titleist.

Heck, just look at the ryder cup and we always hear about guys needing to decide on a ball to use for alt shot and sometimes pairings being made based on who plays a similar ball 

Heck, just look at the ryder cup and we always hear about guys needing to decide on a ball to use for alt shot and sometimes pairings being made based on who plays a similar ball 

I remember when Payne Stewart switched to a two piece Top-Flite ball from a Titleist wound ball - he really struggled - almost lost his game. He also went from forged blades to cast cavity backs too but the ball was the biggest issue. When he won the 1999 US Open he had gone back to Mizuno MS 4's and Titleist Tour Prestige.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

On 8/29/2019 at 8:50 PM, jlukes said:

Agree to disagree. 

I would also say that as we move down the list of players from the top tier to those that struggle to stay on tour that pay to play becomes more prevalent and what they get paid to play may not be best for their game.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Charles Howell III
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

1 hour ago, Middler said:

Without knowing the endorsement deals, how do we know why players choose or stay with a particular brand ball, clubs, etc.? I did a Google search and found little to nothing. A player sticking with a brand doesn't prove the loyalty is to the product vs the $ endorsement deal.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to believe pros choose sponsors based on product first, endorsement $ second. There's just no evidence to support either view.

And again, several of you point out examples of players who have seemingly lost their way after a change. In some examples, for all we know the players game went bad and it had little to do with the change. Players, pros and amateurs, can have their game fall apart without knowing why. Unless you have many examples, finding an exception or two doesn't negate the overriding incentive, $. "Proof by exception" isn't proof...

Of course we will never know why a player chooses what sponsor over another, whether it was the only deal they were offered or if one deal was worth more than others. 

Abraham Ancer didn’t want a deal that required him to play all 14 clubs or something along those lines and everything he put in his bag was what he felt performed best for him and old his mgmt team if they can work out a deal that great if not then that’s cool too I’m still playing it.

https://www.golf.com/gear/2019/08/29/abraham-ancer-fully-equipped-podcast-miura-artisan-equipment/

Brooks, Reed and others without contracts don’t need the money and are playing what they want. But they stick with equipment that works because it avoids adjustment periods. Whether you believe that or not i can’t convince you of and whether you do or don’t wont affect me and whatever reason they do doesn’t affect my day to day life or my equipment choices and what’s played on tour never has