Golfspy_CG2

Titliest Continues to Dominate Equipmemt Counts on the PGA Tour

On 8/27/2019 at 9:24 AM, revkev said:

I was going to note that the LPGA seems to be dominated by Ping - given that many of us would do well to emulate their games that's not bad for those of us who game Ping equipment.

So I should be channeling Lexi Thompson instead of Tony Finau?  🙂

1 hour ago, fixyurdivot said:

So I should be channeling Lexi Thompson instead of Tony Finau?  🙂

Neither. Channel what your body can do

So I should be channeling Lexi Thompson instead of Tony Finau?  

Those are two outstanding young athletes - good luck with that. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Neither. Channel what your body can do

Umm, you're not giving me much to work with here 😉.  I always channel my Rickie Fowler or Brandt Snedeker on the putting green.  I like those decisive "pop" putt strokes.

On 8/27/2019 at 12:02 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Look at players not under contract and see what they play. Lots of non contracted players using titleist and some using Bridgestone balls.

mizuno irons get a lot of non contracted players and ping, titleist and Tm get a lot in the woods/hybrids. Woodland switched his ping fw for a new titleist one. 

On 8/27/2019 at 12:14 PM, cnosil said:

I am pretty sure the answer to this is yes. Name that comes to mind is Bubba to Volvik balls. I know there are others but the names escape me; most are ball change related.

On 8/27/2019 at 1:08 PM, jlukes said:

Rory to Nike.  The Nike ball hindered Rory's game for awhile 

Though legit examples, they’re exceptions that don’t disprove the point. I doubt most players would change balls, equipment if it’s going to hamper their performance. When they do change, they probably don’t see any significant change good or bad. The big name companies can all make a good tour ball and/or good clubs. And isn’t it well known that big name pros can have any club mods they want as long as the sponsors name is on it. Sorta like NASCAR where the cars may resemble stock, but there’s nothing stock on the race car.

18 minutes ago, Middler said:

Though legit examples, they’re exceptions that don’t disprove the point. I doubt most players would change balls, equipment if it’s going to hamper their performance. When they do change, they probably don’t see any significant change good or bad. The big name companies can all make a good tour ball and/or good clubs. And isn’t it well known that big name pros can have any club mods they want as long as the sponsors name is on it. Sorta like NASCAR where the cars may resemble stock, but there’s nothing stock on the race car.

Agree to disagree. 

Every Tour player will say that the single hardest piece of equipment to adjust to is a new ball. 

A ball changes feel, spin, launch window, wind performance, angle of descent etc 

35 minutes ago, Middler said:

A majority of pros play the same ball as retail version and most have clubs the same as retail but with tighter tolerances. No players can’t just have any club made with their sponsor stamp. Rory tried that with tigers miuras and was told no 

15 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Agree to disagree. 

Every Tour player will say that the single hardest piece of equipment to adjust to is a new ball. 

A ball changes feel, spin, launch window, wind performance, angle of descent etc 

I’m with jlukes. There’s a reason tiger has played the same ball forever and why bubba struggle when he went to volvik, rory when he first switched to Nike. Why Brooks still plays titleist.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

A majority of pros play the same ball as retail version and most have clubs the same as retail but with tighter tolerances. No players can’t just have any club made with their sponsor stamp. Rory tried that with tigers miuras and was told no 

I’m with jlukes. There’s a reason tiger has played the same ball forever and why bubba struggle when he went to volvik, rory when he first switched to Nike. Why Brooks still plays titleist.

Heck, just look at the ryder cup and we always hear about guys needing to decide on a ball to use for alt shot and sometimes pairings being made based on who plays a similar ball 

• Like 4

Heck, just look at the ryder cup and we always hear about guys needing to decide on a ball to use for alt shot and sometimes pairings being made based on who plays a similar ball 

I remember when Payne Stewart switched to a two piece Top-Flite ball from a Titleist wound ball - he really struggled - almost lost his game. He also went from forged blades to cast cavity backs too but the ball was the biggest issue. When he won the 1999 US Open he had gone back to Mizuno MS 4's and Titleist Tour Prestige.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

On 8/29/2019 at 8:50 PM, jlukes said:

Agree to disagree. 

I would also say that as we move down the list of players from the top tier to those that struggle to stay on tour that pay to play becomes more prevalent and what they get paid to play may not be best for their game.

+1. Not that the Titleist Pro V1/V1X isn’t one of the best balls, but it’s all about endorsement $ in the end. Titleist balls have a lot of wins because they endorse a lot of players.
Has there been a player whose performance changed significantly after changing balls, clubs, apparel, etc.? Do you think any pro would switch for $ knowing their performance might suffer?

Charles Howell III

Posted (edited)
On 8/29/2019 at 9:05 PM, RickyBobby_PR said:

Without knowing the endorsement deals, how do we know why players choose or stay with a particular brand ball, clubs, etc.? I did a Google search and found little to nothing. A player sticking with a brand doesn't prove the loyalty is to the product vs the $ endorsement deal.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to believe pros choose sponsors based on product first, endorsement $ second. There's just no evidence to support either view.

And again, several of you point out examples of players who have seemingly lost their way after a change. In some examples, for all we know the players game went bad and it had little to do with the change. Players, pros and amateurs, can have their game fall apart without knowing why. Unless you have many examples, finding an exception or two doesn't negate the overriding incentive, $. "Proof by exception" isn't proof...

Edited by Middler

1 hour ago, Middler said:

Without knowing the endorsement deals, how do we know why players choose or stay with a particular brand ball, clubs, etc.? I did a Google search and found little to nothing. A player sticking with a brand doesn't prove the loyalty is to the product vs the $ endorsement deal.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to believe pros choose sponsors based on product first, endorsement $ second. There's just no evidence to support either view.

And again, several of you point out examples of players who have seemingly lost their way after a change. In some examples, for all we know the players game went bad and it had little to do with the change. Players, pros and amateurs, can have their game fall apart without knowing why. Unless you have many examples, finding an exception or two doesn't negate the overriding incentive, $. "Proof by exception" isn't proof...

Of course we will never know why a player chooses what sponsor over another, whether it was the only deal they were offered or if one deal was worth more than others. 

Abraham Ancer didn’t want a deal that required him to play all 14 clubs or something along those lines and everything he put in his bag was what he felt performed best for him and old his mgmt team if they can work out a deal that great if not then that’s cool too I’m still playing it.

https://www.golf.com/gear/2019/08/29/abraham-ancer-fully-equipped-podcast-miura-artisan-equipment/

Brooks, Reed and others without contracts don’t need the money and are playing what they want. But they stick with equipment that works because it avoids adjustment periods. Whether you believe that or not i can’t convince you of and whether you do or don’t wont affect me and whatever reason they do doesn’t affect my day to day life or my equipment choices and what’s played on tour never has