Neither. Channel what your body can do

Driver: Titleist 917D3 9.5 with Graphite Design MAD Pro 65g S

Wood: Titleist 917F2 with UST Mamiya Helium 5F4

Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21 with Atmos Blue 85 S

Irons: Titleist 718 AP3 4i, 718 CB 5-6, MB 7-9 with KBS $ Taper 125

Wedges: Vokey SM7 46/50/54/60 with DG s200

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

So I should be channeling Lexi Thompson instead of Tony Finau?  

Those are two outstanding young athletes - good luck with that. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Alpha Distanza 40 weak R flex shaft

Tour Exotics EX 10 3 wood

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,58

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Neither. Channel what your body can do

Umm, you're not giving me much to work with here 😉.  I always channel my Rickie Fowler or Brandt Snedeker on the putting green.  I like those decisive "pop" putt strokes.

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

18 minutes ago, Middler said:

Though legit examples, they’re exceptions that don’t disprove the point. I doubt most players would change balls, equipment if it’s going to hamper their performance. When they do change, they probably don’t see any significant change good or bad. The big name companies can all make a good tour ball and/or good clubs. And isn’t it well known that big name pros can have any club mods they want as long as the sponsors name is on it. Sorta like NASCAR where the cars may resemble stock, but there’s nothing stock on the race car.

Agree to disagree. 

Every Tour player will say that the single hardest piece of equipment to adjust to is a new ball. 

A ball changes feel, spin, launch window, wind performance, angle of descent etc 

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 Plus Ping 9* VA Nemesys 65FIVE
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* VA Vylyn 75FIVE
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49 F - 54 S - 59 D
:mizuno-small: M Craft II
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

35 minutes ago, Middler said:

Though legit examples, they’re exceptions that don’t disprove the point. I doubt most players would change balls, equipment if it’s going to hamper their performance. When they do change, they probably don’t see any significant change good or bad. The big name companies can all make a good tour ball and/or good clubs. And isn’t it well known that big name pros can have any club mods they want as long as the sponsors name is on it. Sorta like NASCAR where the cars may resemble stock, but there’s nothing stock on the race car.

A majority of pros play the same ball as retail version and most have clubs the same as retail but with tighter tolerances. No players can’t just have any club made with their sponsor stamp. Rory tried that with tigers miuras and was told no 

15 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Agree to disagree. 

Every Tour player will say that the single hardest piece of equipment to adjust to is a new ball. 

A ball changes feel, spin, launch window, wind performance, angle of descent etc 

I’m with jlukes. There’s a reason tiger has played the same ball forever and why bubba struggle when he went to volvik, rory when he first switched to Nike. Why Brooks still plays titleist.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

A majority of pros play the same ball as retail version and most have clubs the same as retail but with tighter tolerances. No players can’t just have any club made with their sponsor stamp. Rory tried that with tigers miuras and was told no 

I’m with jlukes. There’s a reason tiger has played the same ball forever and why bubba struggle when he went to volvik, rory when he first switched to Nike. Why Brooks still plays titleist.

Heck, just look at the ryder cup and we always hear about guys needing to decide on a ball to use for alt shot and sometimes pairings being made based on who plays a similar ball 

• Like 4

In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 Stand Bag

:ping-small: G410 Plus Ping 9* VA Nemesys 65FIVE
:ping-small: G410 LST 14.5* VA Vylyn 75FIVE
:titelist-small: 818 H2 20* Tour AD DI 85X
:mizuno-small: MP20 HMB 4 Tour AD 95X
:mizuno-small: JPX 919 Tour 5-PW Oban CT 115 X(-)
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 49 F - 54 S - 59 D
:mizuno-small: M Craft II
:bridgestone-small: Tour B X

SuperSpeed Forum Tester
Initial Driver Speed on Provided Monitor: 109 MPH

Heck, just look at the ryder cup and we always hear about guys needing to decide on a ball to use for alt shot and sometimes pairings being made based on who plays a similar ball 

I remember when Payne Stewart switched to a two piece Top-Flite ball from a Titleist wound ball - he really struggled - almost lost his game. He also went from forged blades to cast cavity backs too but the ball was the biggest issue. When he won the 1999 US Open he had gone back to Mizuno MS 4's and Titleist Tour Prestige.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 3

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

On 8/29/2019 at 8:50 PM, jlukes said:

Agree to disagree. 

I would also say that as we move down the list of players from the top tier to those that struggle to stay on tour that pay to play becomes more prevalent and what they get paid to play may not be best for their game.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* with UST Proforce V2
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :srixon-small: 765 6-AW with KBS Tour shafts
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

+1. Not that the Titleist Pro V1/V1X isn’t one of the best balls, but it’s all about endorsement $ in the end. Titleist balls have a lot of wins because they endorse a lot of players.
Has there been a player whose performance changed significantly after changing balls, clubs, apparel, etc.? Do you think any pro would switch for $ knowing their performance might suffer?

Charles Howell III

• PING G400 LST 8.5 Evenflow Black 65g 6.5
  • PING G 3W HZRDUS Yellow 75g 6.0
  • Mizuno HMB MP20 3i Nippon Modus 3 120S
  • Maltby TS1 4-G Nippon Modus3 120S
  • Maltby TSW 52 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Maltby TSW 58 Nippon Modus Wedge
  • Bettinardi BB8 Wide 2020
  • Oncore Elixr

Currently testing the Ben Hogan PTx Combo irons https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/38486-2020-official-member-review-ben-hogan-icon-ptx-proicon-combo-irons/

Rochester, NY

4.3 Index

1 hour ago, Middler said:

Without knowing the endorsement deals, how do we know why players choose or stay with a particular brand ball, clubs, etc.? I did a Google search and found little to nothing. A player sticking with a brand doesn't prove the loyalty is to the product vs the $ endorsement deal.

Don't get me wrong, I'd like to believe pros choose sponsors based on product first, endorsement $ second. There's just no evidence to support either view.

And again, several of you point out examples of players who have seemingly lost their way after a change. In some examples, for all we know the players game went bad and it had little to do with the change. Players, pros and amateurs, can have their game fall apart without knowing why. Unless you have many examples, finding an exception or two doesn't negate the overriding incentive, $. "Proof by exception" isn't proof...

Of course we will never know why a player chooses what sponsor over another, whether it was the only deal they were offered or if one deal was worth more than others. 

Abraham Ancer didn’t want a deal that required him to play all 14 clubs or something along those lines and everything he put in his bag was what he felt performed best for him and old his mgmt team if they can work out a deal that great if not then that’s cool too I’m still playing it.

https://www.golf.com/gear/2019/08/29/abraham-ancer-fully-equipped-podcast-miura-artisan-equipment/

Brooks, Reed and others without contracts don’t need the money and are playing what they want. But they stick with equipment that works because it avoids adjustment periods. Whether you believe that or not i can’t convince you of and whether you do or don’t wont affect me and whatever reason they do doesn’t affect my day to day life or my equipment choices and what’s played on tour never has