Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Suddenly pushing my irons

For some reason I was pushing my irons badly from hole 1 to hole 18 this weekend. Driver was fine...it was just my irons, which is odd because I usually hit my irons well and struggle with my driver. It was a problem from my wedges to my I4. Obviously I don't have any video to show you, but are there some common problems that are likely to explain this? The issue was very consistent, which made it incredibly frustrating. Fortunately I putted and drove well (both anomalies), so my score was about average for me, but man o man I was going nutso by the turn. I don't drink , so alcohol was not a factor.

LACK of alcohol, maybe, but not the presence of alcohol.

Mizuno JPX 900 Hot Metal irons, loft std, lie 1 degree flat
Taylormade R15 driver, 14°, regular flex
Right-handed
Amarillo, TX
Hdcp 16

Easiest think to check would be alignment. Also check if ball position has moved. It could also simply just be how your swing was working that particular day.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Another easy thing to check would be your grip.  I'm not sure how often you play or swing a club, but most of the time it's the little things we forget to think about.

• In my :mizuno-small: BR-D4 6-way
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

My instructor recently (like, 6 weeks ago) changed my grip, but it now feels much more comfortable. He had me rotate my left (leading) hand to the right, so I now have a significant bow in my left wrist at address, and my right hand to the left, so my right palm faces the target, and my right thumb now overlaps my left thumb. Felt very odd at first, but I'm now used to it, more or less. 

I say "more or less" because I understand that may be part of the problem...I'm just getting used to a new grip. But s***...even if that's the case, I'm not sure how to accommodate my new grip. Is this just something I'll get used to...something that will work itself out?

Or, of course, that may have nothing to do with it. Golf is hard.

Golf is hard.

Edited by MatMan

Right-handed
Amarillo, TX
Hdcp 16

I was pushing my irons and I was told I was holding the club too tightly and the head wasn’t releasing. Loosened my grip and boom....now I pull everything.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Wedgie

Driver - XXIO X Driver 9.5

:cleveland-small: - Launcher Turbo 2 hybrid

:cobra-small: - F9 One Length 3-L

:EVNROLL: - ER 1.2

Top Flite Gamer

Play Right

2 hours ago, MatMan said:

My instructor recently (like, 6 weeks ago) changed my grip, but it now feels much more comfortable. He had me rotate my left (leading) hand to the right, so I now have a significant bow in my left wrist at address, and my right hand to the left, so my right palm faces the target, and my right thumb now overlaps my left thumb. Felt very odd at first, but I'm now used to it, more or less. 

I say "more or less" because I understand that may be part of the problem...I'm just getting used to a new grip. But s***...even if that's the case, I'm not sure how to accommodate my new grip. Is this just something I'll get used to...something that will work itself out?

Or, of course, that may have nothing to do with it. Golf is hard.

Golf is hard.

That sounds like a very weak grip for a mid-handicapper, but what do I know, I'm not an instructor.  Just curious why he would change your grip...were you hooking everything before?  I like what @Wedgie said about grip pressure, that's a good thing to be aware of as well.  And YES, golf is hard.

Edited by M. Parsons
Just re-read your post, it rather sounds like the hands are working against each other...like I said, what do I know.
  • :cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size
  • image.png.27e1496834233542c5d124bf8b9e3352.png3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :taylormade-small: SIM UDI 2-iron - 18*, Mitsubishi Diamana Thump 100 X-flex, with GolfPride MCC Align
  • :srixon-small: ZX5 4-5 & ZX7 6-PW, :Nippon: Modus3 120 Tour S-flex, +1/2", with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D, DG Wedge Flex, with GolfPride Tour Wrap 2G
  • :Snell: MTB-X            :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope             Tracked by :Arccos:         #WPS 🐗

6 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

That sounds like a very weak grip for a mid-handicapper, but what do I know, I'm not an instructor.  Just curious why he would change your grip...were you hooking everything before? 

No, I wasn't! If anything, I was unintentionally fading my driver/hybrids/long irons. I'm not experienced enough to question my instructor...I just do what he says, and he doesn't always explain why. The grip change was literally the first thing he did when I started using him about 2 months ago.

Edited by MatMan

Right-handed
Amarillo, TX
Hdcp 16

13 minutes ago, MatMan said:

No, I wasn't! If anything, I was unintentionally fading my driver/hybrids/long irons. I'm not experienced enough to question my instructor...I just do what he says, and he doesn't always explain why. The grip change was literally the first thing he did when I started using him about 2 months ago.

I understand where you're coming from, but I wouldn't think it would be a bad thing for you to ask questions...that will only make you more knowledgeable about what he wants you to do and why.

"If you ask a question, you'll appear a fool for 5 minutes, but be wise for life. If you don't ask a question, you'll appear wise for 5 minutes, but remain a fool for life."  - author unknown 

45 minutes ago, M. Parsons said:

That sounds like a very weak grip for a mid-handicapper, but what do I know, I'm not an instructor.  Just curious why he would change your grip...were you hooking everything before?  I like what @Wedgie said about grip pressure, that's a good thing to be aware of as well.  And YES, golf is hard.

The left hand to the right is a stronger left hand and the palm facing the target for right hand is neutral to strong. Weak would be left hand and right hand going towards the left.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

21 hours ago, MatMan said:

Here lies the trouble.  You are not questioning his knowledge when you ask why.  I never want any of my players to be without knowledge.  If I get a text or call saying why am I doing XY or Z then I have completely failed this student.  When a change happens there must be a reason for it and the outcome or lack thereof should be quantifiable.   Don't ever just do what someone says and shame on him for not explaining why.  Everything has a purpose and everything is a cause & effect relationship.  Otherwise you are trying and hoping.  It would be ok for my player to say "I was pushing my irons to the right because of X, I attempted to Y but it didn't seem to improve.  Did I select the wrong fix or the right fix but didn't accomplish it?"  Making the right choice can take time to learn and learn to execute.