TESTERS WANTED! ×

Clicgear 3.0 Push Cart (Review)

• SPY VIP

MyGolfSpy.com Gadget Review: Clicgear 3.0 Push Cart

http://www.clicgearusa.com/

Really, A $200 Pushcart?

In the spirit of full disclosure, I am an owner of the Clicgear 2.0 cart and I love it. I have used the cart weekly going on three years now. For me the decision to move to a pushcart when walking was one of economics, comfort, and performance. Economically spending $200 on a pushcart may not seem like a sound investment at first glance. But once you start calculating cart fees (about $15 per round around here) you see that the use of the pushcart will save you money in the long run. Obviously those of you who only walk and carry won't see the same savings.

The other two factors, comfort and performance, really sealed the deal for me. Walking without the bag on my back makes the round nice and relaxing. However, when I used the classic two wheeled pull carts, I could feel the strain on my shoulder as I pulled it around. Also, when I used a cart of any kind, my scores were better than when I carried. It seems like a simple relationship between how much energy one needs to carry the clubs and then how much energy is left over to play.

IMG_0853.jpg

I purchased the Clicgear 2.0 primarily because of its compact size when folded. At the time, I was driving a Honda Civic and trunk space was at a premium. Many people suggested the more well known Sun Mountain Speed Cart to me, and after demoing one of the Speed Carts, I am sure that I would have been totally satisfied on the course with the quality and features of the Speed Cart. However, the Sun Mountain carts were still using inflatable tires at the time as well and I found the solid tires of the Clicgear more appealing. Ultimately though, the compact folded size was the ultimate decision maker for me. Never once did I look back and regret my decision to go with the Clicgear.

Motivation to Review

So if I am so happy with my cart, why am I interested in the new model? Are you still happy using your Nokia cell phone from 1998? If something that I already really like is released as “new and improved” how could I not be curious about what was changed and if, in fact, the new model represents a significant improvement over the previous model?

Before getting to the comparison between the old and new models though, I would like to give you my thoughts on the Clicgear 3.0 so that those of you who may be unfamiliar with it can see why I am so high on the cart in the first place.

Review For the Clicgear Rookies

Here is a more general review and scoring for those of you looking to make the purchase of your first high quality push cart. Some of this review does reflect my experience with the 2.0 model, but I will address 3.0 upgrades toward the end of the review. I'll rank the Clicgear cart in the following areas: Innovation, Ease of Use, Value, Aesthetics, and Performance.

Innovation

I judge innovation by how something compares to other things, both present and past. The innovation in design becomes readily apparent in the Clicgear 3.0 cart the first time you unfold it. A common response that I have from people who watch me unfold the cart is “Wow”. People are amazed at the size of the folded cart compared to the long and wide wheelbase of the expanded cart. Although it is one of many three-wheel carts in the marketplace these days (including some Clicgear “clones”), visually it shares little with its competitors. The design is unique to Clicgear carts.

Score: 10/10

Ease of Use

One of my concerns when I first saw the cart was that the unfolding/folding process was too complicated. Granted there are multiple levers and buttons and a sequence for engaging them, but with a bit of practice, it is a non-issue. You play golf. You know that practice improves your skill set. Rest assured that your skill set will move to mastery level very quickly in the folding/unfolding the cart realm.

Unfolding Video From Clicgear

Folding Video from Clicgear

Once the cart is set-up, adding the bag to the cart is very simple. I am currently using a Nike SQ Tour bag and it works great with the cart. However, the Clicgear's bag strap system is easily adjustable to fit most bags. One of my playing partners bought a Clicgear cart a week ago and it took us mere seconds to adjust the straps to fit his ultra-light, and much smaller bag.

Loading the cart in and out of the trunk is also easily accomplished thanks to its compact folded geometry (13”x15”x24”) and light weight (18 lbs.). I find that the wheels actually help it to slide deeper into the trunk when I load it. It fits in the trunk of my Accord with loads of room to spare.

IMG_0864.jpg

Score 10/10

Value

As you read previously, if you make the transition from driving to walking the course, the Clicgear 3.0 cart pays for itself in a very short time. Who knows, maybe walking the course will improve your overall fitness and lower your future healthcare costs. (OK so the healthcare part is speculation, but it stands to reason.)

Clicgear 3.0 is priced very competitively with the carts of a similar quality. This is not a $30 cart that you find at a sporting goods store and ditch after it quickly falls apart. This cart will work for rounds and rounds, or more appropriately years and years. And not just work, but work at the same high level that it did the first time you used it.

Score: 10/10

Aesthetics

I hesitate to even include this category, because it can be quite subjective. That being said, if you check out the Clicgear website and look at the available colors, I am sure that you can find one that is appealing to your eye. Look at the white model. Wow! Obviously from the photos included in this review, I am using the black model. Perhaps the best aesthetic feedback came from my young son who looked at the cart and said “Dad, that cart is totally ninja!” So there you go, total ninja in appearance.

Score 10/10

Performance

So I have saved the last sixty points in this review for performance, because ultimately this is what matters most is the performance of the cart on the course. The first term that comes to mind with the cart is tank. Not because it is heavy like a tank, but because it is a solid machine that just keeps going forward, rolling over any terrain that you put in front of it. Here is a list of what I see as the strengths of the cart on the course:

•Stability: This cart does not fall over, ever! As you push it, there is no wobbles or wiggles. I frequently give it a shove and let it roll out in front of me as I walk, or push it free to roll down a hill. Never once has it fallen over. The wide wheelbase and the quality break keep it secure when stopped. It rolls dead straight too, and if it did veer a bit off course after pushing, the alignment of the front wheel is easily adjusted.

•Securing the Goods: Your gear is going to stay attached to the cart. The clips that hold the bag work great. I have never even noticed the bag change position during a round. The console lid stays closed during use. Scorecards stay attached to the elastic cord on the top of the console.

•Ease of Pushing: This cart rolls great over all surfaces. The wheels may get muddy in wet conditions, but they usually collect way less stuff than my spikes do. The cart is very well balanced and the adjustable console height can easily be changed to accommodate individual preferences. I have never struggled to push the cart along through the fairway, rough, cart path, adjacent fairway, water hazard, and so on.

•Accessories: So maybe this is not directly performance related, but the ability to attach a shoe brush to the axle, mount a hook to hang the cart in the garage, and cover the muddy wheels with a fitted cover before placing it in the trunk all improve the overall experience with the cart. Take a look at what is available here: http://www.clicgear....ccessories.html I am definitely going to get one of the new seat accessories and maybe the cooler or hydrapack for the 100 degree rounds here in the Sacramento summer. A cold adult soda and a portable seat is a recipe for win during a hot summer round of golf. Best of all, the Clicgear carries it all for you.

Honestly, I am hard pressed to come up with a way that the cart could be changed to improve performance.

Score 60/60

ClicGear 3.0 Cart

Total Score: 100/100

(Even if you don't agree with my rating of the aesthetics, this cart would still be a solid performing 90/100.)

To Upgrade or Not To Upgrade…

Overall, if you own a pervious version of the Clicgear cart and you are wondering if the new features found in the Clicgear 3.0 cart warrant upgrading, I would confidently say yes. Here are some reasons why I feel so strongly positive about this new cart.

Upgraded Features of the 3.0 Clicgear Cart

As you can see from the video above and also the quoted passage later in the article, a number of features have been changed, as per user suggestion, moving from the 2.0 to the 3.0 model. Rather than going through all of the features, I will highlight the changes that really stood out for me.

Braking Mechanism

The 2.0 model used a L-shaped lever to set the brake. You needed to pull and then twist the handle to set the brake. The brake always worked well on my 2.0 cart, but I did notice that there were times when I needed to roll the cart a half wheel forward to engage the brake easily. The Clicgear 3.0's break control is now located just below the push handles and is a simple lever that you pull back to engage. It is definitely easier to engage and is located in a great place relative to your hands and the console in general.

IMG_0858.jpg

Front Wheel and Side Tube Releases

Folding and unfolding the various parts of the cart are accomplished be manipulating a few levers at key places on the cart. Two of these mechanisms have been altered/upgraded in the Clicgear 3.0 version. The lever that was pressed to rotate the front wheel on the 2.0 has been replaced with a button at the end of the tube, and the side-locking handle that locks and unlocks the folding of the cart has been changed from a flat handle to an open loop handle. This is an area that I never had difficulty with, but the new handle and button are very easy to use and securely hold the cart in place.

IMG_0854.jpg

IMG_0855.jpg

Console

The console on the ClicGear 3.0 is vastly improved over the 2.0 version. I'll highlight what I think are the major improvements.

Size

Internal storage is dramatically improved over the 2.0 as is the engineering of that space. The new console interior has a specific plastic clamp that holds the balls in place while the 2.0 relied on a groove on the bottom of the console to do the same job. Many times I would have to make sure all of the stuff I was holding in the 2.0's console (balls, tees, iPhone, wallet…) was in perfect alignment so the lid would close. The 3.0's console holds the balls in place and leaves me plenty of room to toss in other stuff with reckless abandon. One thing that I will add to the 3.0 console is the same rubber pad that I put in the bottom of the 2.0 console to keep the phone from sliding around as I walk.

Tee Holders

If there was a design flaw in the 2.0 cart, it was the console's tee holders. They were tabbed plastic holes that over time became worn down and ultimately too large to hold tees securely. No tabs in the 3.0 holes, therefore no widening of the opening with use and thus no longer an issue with the new cart.

Beverage Holder

Those of you familiar with my work on this site know that I am not opposed to a tasty adult beverage during a round with the buddies. The beverage holder on the 2.0 cart was too small and often times would generate foamy brews if you left the can in the holder as you pushed the cart. Using a can coozie to keep it cold was out of the question as the diameter of the holder was much too small. Enter the majesty of the 3.0 hanging beverage holder. It's bigger and it swings freely from the side so some of the motion of movement is dampened and parking the cart at an angle no longer causes spills. There are four places to hook it on so you can place the folder where you choose, or better yet buy three more holders and make your cart the holder for the foursome. You can fold cart with the holder attached at the rear position, but make sure it is out of the way before you fold it all the way.

IMG_0856.jpg

IMG_0857.jpg

Cargo Net

Don't spend too much time trying to find the cargo net on the 2.0 cart, there isn't one. This is a great new feature found in the 3.0 model. So nice to have a place to drop your fancy putter headcover when you putt, place your laser while you make your shot, and etc. This is a great upgrade.

To Upgrade or Not To Upgrade…

Overall, if you own a previous version of the Clicgear cart and you are wondering if the new features found in the Clicgear 3.0 cart warrant upgrading, I would confidently say yes.

Summary

TheClicgear 3.0 represents a significant improvement on an already excellent three-wheel push cart. If you are already using a pull or push cart, you will not be disappointed after you change to the Clicgear. This is an excellent cart that may in the long run, save you money and even strokes off your round. You may wonder how you ever played without one.

From the Clicgear website: http://www.clicgear.com/pushcart.html

The Clicgear Cart is the original compact three wheel golf pushcart and winner of the 2007 Best New Product Award at the PGA Merchandise Show in Orlando, Florida. Clicgear offers a full sized three wheel golf pushcart that glides smoothly down the fairway and yet still folds up incredibly small. At only 13" x 15" and 24" when folded, it won't take over your car trunk or garage.

The Model 3.0 has had a major upgrade for 2010. Most of the changes came from suggestions from our customers who loved the cart but wanted to see a couple of things added or improved. So the Model 3.0 has ended up as an answer to all of those requests.

• The handle console has been completely redesigned with almost double the storage room and even more room underneath with our new storage net.

• A new center mounted brake handle which is easier to use

• The handle foam has been replaced with a much more durable material.

• A new push button lock design for the front wheel pivot is more robust and intuitive to use.

• We have also added three accessory tabs to the handle to easily install Clicgear accessories including the new standard cup holder that fits just about any bottle, cup or can we could find

At Clicgear, we didn't invent the three wheel cart, we just made it compact and cool!

Volvo Intorqueo

All the cool kids follow me on twitter: @GolfspyDave

If you are not a cool kid, following me on twitter will make you cool...

excellent review... My wife just bought me a Walter Hagan one last year for $100 so I doubt she would be too happy if I came home with something new.

BUT... when teh time comes I need a new cart, I am thinking Clic Gear is the way to go...

Again, thanks for the review, it answered any question anyone could ask...

can we get some pics with your clubs on there?

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

• SPY VIP

excellent review... My wife just bought me a Walter Hagan one last year for $100 so I doubt she would be too happy if I came home with something new.

BUT... when teh time comes I need a new cart, I am thinking Clic Gear is the way to go...

Again, thanks for the review, it answered any question anyone could ask...

can we get some pics with your clubs on there?

Anything for you Mud...

IMG_0449.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0450.jpg

Volvo Intorqueo

I bought my 2.0 right when the 3.0 came out. Add in some Golf Galaxy gift cards and reward coupons and I only paid $15.00 for it. Without a doubt, the best $15.00 Ive ever spent on golf. All of the upgrades that you've listed are not anything that would cause me to upgrade. A Gatorade bottle fits great in the cupholder, and never had a problem with the compartment on the 2.0 (although the rubber pad is a great idea that I will be adding quickly). The only problem Ive had, which I doubt has been fixed is that since Im tall, I have the handle set all the way up and cant fill out my scorecard on the door easily. I added a scorecard app to my phone so I dont have to mess with it.

Nothing helps you find a lost ball better than a provisional hit straight down the middle.

I bought my 2.0 right when the 3.0 came out. Add in some Golf Galaxy gift cards and reward coupons and I only paid $15.00 for it. Without a doubt, the best $15.00 Ive ever spent on golf. All of the upgrades that you've listed are not anything that would cause me to upgrade. A Gatorade bottle fits great in the cupholder, and never had a problem with the compartment on the 2.0 (although the rubber pad is a great idea that I will be adding quickly). The only problem Ive had, which I doubt has been fixed is that since Im tall, I have the handle set all the way up and cant fill out my scorecard on the door easily. I added a scorecard app to my phone so I dont have to mess with it.

Damn... I may need to go out and get one of these now... this board is costing me too much $$$...

Clic Gear plus the GPS adapter and GolfShot GPS, and I would have it made...

clicgear_gps_use.jpg

My Bag:
Driver - 
:cobra-small:  King F6+

3 Wood -  :callaway-small: XR16
Hybrids -  :srixon-small:  ZH45
Irons -  :mizuno-small:  JPX 850 Pro

Wedges -  :callaway-small: Mac Daddy 2
Putter -   :taylormade-small: Spider Tour Red
Bag - Ogio Grom Stand

That phone holder looks like it would be a great idea, except that it leaves the phone in the sun for 4 hours, never a good thing for electronics.

Nothing helps you find a lost ball better than a provisional hit straight down the middle.

• SPY VIP

I got mine at the end of last season. I didn't necessarily need one, but I had quite a bit of pro shop credit to burn. I'm coming from a Sun Mountain Speed Cart, and although that's a great cart, so far I like the ClicGear better. The ClicGear one me over with it's more compact size (when folded), better breaking system, and most significantly, the molded tires. No more carrying around a pump.

MyGolfSpy is only major golf site that refuses advertising from large golf companies. With your support we can keep it that way. Donate Today

Subscribe to the MyGolfSpy Newsletter

I should've bought them when Modell's had the 40% off coupon and it wasn't an exclusion. I know a ton of people that got them then for $119 shipped.

In The Bag
Driver: TaylorMade M2 (2017) w/ Project X T1100 HZRDUS Handcrafted 65x 
Strong 3 wood: Taylormade M1 15* w/ ProjectX T1100 HZRDUS handcrafted 75x
3 Hybrid: Adams PRO 18* w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4 Hybrid: Adams PRO 20* (bent to 21*) w/ KBS Tour Hybrid S flex tipped 1/2"
4-AW: TaylorMade P770 w/ Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400

SW: 56* Scratch Tour Dept(CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
LW: 60* Scratch Tour Department (CC grooves) w/ Dynamic Gold Spinner
XW: 64* Cally XForged Vintage w/ DG X100 8 iron tiger stepped
Putter: Nike Method Prototype 006 at 34"

Have a ton of back-ups in all categories, but there are always 14 clubs in the bag that differ depending on the course and set-up. Bomb and gouge. Yes, I'm a club gigolo.

I just received mine in the mail last night. The unfolding/folding took a few tries to figure out, but overall it's not too hard. The most surprising part for me was how large the cart was when unfolded, the design is pretty amazing.

sold! i will be ordering mine in kiwi color and my wife's in pink!

:cobra-small: SpeedZone 9* w/ Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
:callaway-small: X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5* w/ Aldila Tour Green 75 S
:taylormade-small: JetSpeed 5W 19* w/ Matrix Velox T 69 S OR :adams-small: Super LS 3H 19* w/ Kuro Kage Black 80 S
:mizuno-small: JPX919 Forged 4-PW w/ Modus3 105 S
:titelist-small: Vokey SM7 50/08F, 54/14F & 58/08M w/ Modus3 115 Wedge
:EVNROLL: ER1 34" w/ SuperStroke Fatso 2.0
MfleKCg.jpg Pro / 9dZCgaF.jpgH2NO Lite Cart Bag / :Clicgear: 3.0 / :918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro LRF

My reviews: MLA Putter // Titleist SM7 // PING i500 // PuttOUT

I own the 2.0 version, excellent cart, the 3.0 has made some significant improvements especially with the brake position and operation.

The only accessories these babies, and all carts need - are mud flaps, I'll build my own if I have to but push carts throw mud and water backwards...on me.

Come on designers.

Post theft of my clubs and gear, I have all new:In the bags:

ClicGear cart bag; Mizuno Carry Bag.

Clic Gear 2.0 cart.

Lamkin mid size grips on all.

KZG VC-420 Driver 10.5 deg with 38 lb flex black NovaTech 6000 shaft.

KZG Q 3 Wood 15 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG Q 5 Wood, 19 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG H370 Tour hybrid 22 deg with Silver NovaTech shaft 38 lbs

KZG forged cavity back CBIII wedges AW -5 iron, bent 3 deg up, with silver 38lb graphite NovaTech shafts

KZG 60 degree forged wedge NS shaft.

Callaway X Jaw 64 degree wedge

Odyssey Putter.

Vision Golf Balls Test Pilot, Titleist ProV1x

Open for sponsorship

• SPY VIP

There should be a way to put some clip on fenders on the unit...

I just make sure to give it a hard push down the fairway here and there and that causes most of the wheel junk to fly off.

Volvo Intorqueo

• 3 weeks later...

This is my 3rd season with my Clic Gear 2.0 and I love it! I've looked at the 3.0 and definitely like the improvements to the console, cargo net, and the beverage holder (I am not quite as critical as you of the 2.0's cup holder, but do like the look of the new cup holders).

I will probably upgrade at some point but so far have not seen the need to, my 2.0, with the exeption of some frayed foam on the handle, is just as good as the day I bought it!

Great Review Dave! Very fair and accurate throughout!

Ping I20 8.5* - Aldila NV 65g S
Adams XTD Super Hybrid 15* - Stock Fubuki S
Adams DHY 21* - Stock Matrix Ozik White Tie S
Mizuno MP58 4-8 Irons - Fujikura MCI 100 S
SCOR 42,46,50,54,58* - SCOR/KBS Genius S
STX Robert Ingman Envision TR 35", Iomic grip

There should be a way to put some clip on fenders on the unit...

I just make sure to give it a hard push down the fairway here and there and that causes most of the wheel junk to fly off.

I get my caddy to do that but sometimes when he is hunting in the ponds for my Vision golf balls I have to push the thing myself; I hate getting mud splatters on my white Ecco golf shoes and on my trouser legs.

Post theft of my clubs and gear, I have all new:In the bags:

ClicGear cart bag; Mizuno Carry Bag.

Clic Gear 2.0 cart.

Lamkin mid size grips on all.

KZG VC-420 Driver 10.5 deg with 38 lb flex black NovaTech 6000 shaft.

KZG Q 3 Wood 15 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG Q 5 Wood, 19 deg with 37 lb Fierce Full Force shaft silver

KZG H370 Tour hybrid 22 deg with Silver NovaTech shaft 38 lbs

KZG forged cavity back CBIII wedges AW -5 iron, bent 3 deg up, with silver 38lb graphite NovaTech shafts

KZG 60 degree forged wedge NS shaft.

Callaway X Jaw 64 degree wedge

Odyssey Putter.

Vision Golf Balls Test Pilot, Titleist ProV1x

Open for sponsorship

• 2 weeks later...

I'm tempted to grab one. I have a SpeedCart which is still in great shape. I really like it but really HATE when I have to inflate the tires; they're not the easiest valve-stems to reach. Also, storage is virtually non-existent. I had no idea the ClicGear packed so much into such a small package.

A buddy of mine wants a push-cart. Maybe I'll sell him mine for next-to-nothing and get the 3.0.

...It's not like I need a big push. I'm very easily enabled. ;)

Archived