Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

FedEx Cup Playoffs

Shankster

It's not my favourite format but it's no different to qualifying sessions in Motorsports. The driver who gets pole has a better starting position than the rest come race day. That's really all it is.

I’m sorry but this handicapping is the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen in professional sports.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

48 minutes ago, bens197 said:

I’m sorry but this handicapping is the stupidest thing I’ve ever seen in professional sports.

And yet on day 1 there’s been excitement and the leader going in is now tied. It did a good job creating some drama last week and now starting off with it

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

It's not my favourite format but it's no different to qualifying sessions in Motorsports. The driver who gets pole has a better starting position than the rest come race day. That's really all it is.

That would be cool if golf were Motocross. Whatever, adapt or die right?

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

And yet on day 1 there’s been excitement and the leader going in is now tied. It did a good job creating some drama last week and now starting off with it

I get it, I just disagree with the premise.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

First of all, accusing an engineer of being an architect is grounds for fisticuffs! As the old saying goes, it’s an architects job to make it pretty. It’s an engineers job to make it work!

I can’t take credit for the idea of shorter courses with more width and angles. I have listened to The Golfers Journal and The Fried Egg podcasts a lot over the past couple of years. Especially the episodes featuring Geoff Ogilvy. His insights are revolutionary and quite unique in my estimation. I can’t recommend them enough!

Forcing players to shape shots is something modern Tour setups rarely offer. Guys bomb the driver and wedge it to the middle of the green. Angles and width would play a vital role in proper placement of the tee shot in order to get to certain portions of a green.

I can’t explain it as well as Ogilvy and Andy Johnson. I would strongly suggest listening to those podcasts. It was eye opening for me.

Sorry that I misunderstood your vocation - I’m acutely aware of the difference.:)

I would love to see a greater emphasis in hitting shots - I’m watching a classic example of bomb and gouge as I watch today’s replay - I remember going to Westchester as a teen and young adult. 10 under rarely won on a course that was well under 7,000. It required shots and was fun to watch. It also had plenty of holes where straight and long were rewarded particularly on the back (as they played the course).

8, 10, 15, 18 jump to mind as holes that could be played in a variety of ways - bombers could try and take them on but if they missed they were punished.

That’s great, exciting golf

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

While we are here let’s talk pace of play, too. I well remember Fuzzy and Norman completing a playoff for the US Open in under 3 hours on a brutal course.

Under 3 hours for the US Open —
And Fuzzy shot in the 60’s

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

7 hours ago, revkev said:

While we are here let’s talk pace of play, too. I well remember Fuzzy and Norman completing a playoff for the US Open in under 3 hours on a brutal course.

Under 3 hours for the US Open —
And Fuzzy shot in the 60’s

I remember that.  Winged Foot in 1984.  I was 9 years old.  Being the only person in my extended family interested in golf, my dad and uncles were teasing me for being glued to the TV on a beautiful summer day to watch golf.

I believe there is a lot of "paralysis by analysis" on Tour today.  Guys try so hard to get every little detail perfect, they forget the biggest factor is the 6 inches between the ears.

8 hours ago, revkev said:

Sorry that I misunderstood your vocation - I’m acutely aware of the difference.:)

I would love to see a greater emphasis in hitting shots - I’m watching a classic example of bomb and gouge as I watch today’s replay - I remember going to Westchester as a teen and young adult. 10 under rarely won on a course that was well under 7,000. It required shots and was fun to watch. It also had plenty of holes where straight and long were rewarded particularly on the back (as they played the course).

8, 10, 15, 18 jump to mind as holes that could be played in a variety of ways - bombers could try and take them on but if they missed they were punished.

That’s great, exciting golf

No worries.  It was all meant in good humor.  We have actually worked with several course architects through the years.  Mostly courses in Virginia, North Carolina and Tennessee.  Those guys have a good idea how they want courses to fit the topography but regulatory agencies require licensed engineers to sign and seal a set of design plans. 

10 hours ago, bens197 said:

I get it, I just disagree with the premise.

So you wont be watching any of the tournament then?

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

So you wont be watching any of the tournament then?

No. On vacation with my family this week.
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

28 minutes ago, bens197 said:

No. On vacation with my family this week.

Would you watch it if you were at home?

Would you watch it if you were at home?

Eh. Maybe. I’ll be honest, I don’t spend much time in front of a tv unless it’s a major or the first few events of the year. I’d rather be spending time with my daughter or out playing myself.

• Srixon Z-Star XV 

14 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

It’s the playoffs. You don’t play good you don’t advance. The majors while given high importance with the moniker it’s still just one event on the schedule. In other sports the team with the best record isn’t guaranteed a spot in the championship game. 

If someone won a major and missed every cut in the other events they played should they get a spot in the tour championship?

what if a pga teaching pro won the pga championship should they get a spot?

YES, likely would never happen, but yes... they deserve a chance.

I understand it's the "playoffs", but golf is different than any other sport that has playoffs.  Go ahead and call it "The Playoffs", but it is NOT the Tour Championship.  The Tour Championship would have anyone that won any tournament during the year and players that came close to winning... maybe several top tens or a top five.  These are the players that competed throughout the year and had good performances, not players that played a lot of events and made a bunch of cuts but were outside the top 10.  Maybe the Tournament of Champions at Kapalua needs to be eliminated and replaced by the Tour Championship using these criteria?

In this new system who wins the "Tour Championship"... the player that shoots the lowest score this week against the field, or the player that has the biggest head start?  If this format continues, I can see that one of these years a player from the back of the pack has 4 great rounds and shoots -21 and loses to the guy that started off -10 by 5 shots.  The player that played the best at the "Tour Championship" loses The Tour Championship.  Is that compelling golf?  Or how about the year that the #1 seed started at -10 and shoots -20 to end up at -30 and win the "Tour Championship" by 10 shots.  A great tournament, but is that compelling golf?  Who watches that final round?  

Go ahead and call it the FedEX Cup Playoffs, but in no way is this the "Tour Championship!"

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

38 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

YES, likely would never happen, but yes... they deserve a chance.

I understand it's the "playoffs", but golf is different than any other sport that has playoffs.  Go ahead and call it "The Playoffs", but it is NOT the Tour Championship.  The Tour Championship would have anyone that won any tournament during the year and players that came close to winning... maybe several top tens or a top five.  These are the players that competed throughout the year and had good performances, not players that played a lot of events and made a bunch of cuts but were outside the top 10.  Maybe the Tournament of Champions at Kapalua needs to be eliminated and replaced by the Tour Championship using these criteria?

In this new system who wins the "Tour Championship"... the player that shoots the lowest score this week against the field, or the player that has the biggest head start?  If this format continues, I can see that one of these years a player from the back of the pack has 4 great rounds and shoots -21 and loses to the guy that started off -10 by 5 shots.  The player that played the best at the "Tour Championship" loses The Tour Championship.  Is that compelling golf?  Or how about the year that the #1 seed started at -10 and shoots -20 to end up at -30 and win the "Tour Championship" by 10 shots.  A great tournament, but is that compelling golf?  Who watches that final round?  

Go ahead and call it the FedEX Cup Playoffs, but in no way is this the "Tour Championship!"

Sure, the majors hold high importance while only holding a single week on the calendar just like the playoff format.  Then again, so does week 4 of the NFL pre-season and the Super Bowl!!!!!

Doesn't mean they are on equal footing!!!!!

I may have missed it but has anyone thrown out an idea of how to fix it!? 

The tour is trying to create the drama that is associated with other sports come playoff time. Their biggest hindrance is that it is Golf and not other sports. Baseball, football, basketball, hockey, motorsports whatever the last one standing is the winner. This format doesn't accomplish that because you could have someone play better for 4 days at East Lake and not win the "Championship"

My only idea is to play a 288 hole tournament for the playoffs. Cumulative score. Top 100 players make it, player with lowest score after 4 72 hole tournaments wins. You can make cuts wherever you want but something along these lines might be better.  

:taylormade-small:     Stealth 2+ 9 (Diamana PD 60 S 45") 

image.png.dee92ef6cebb2ac4a3883744fc248f12.png     Stealth 2+ 15 (Diamana PD 70 S 43")

:ping-small:          G425 19 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:ping-small:          G425 22 (Raijin 2.0 85x)

:srixon-small:            ZX7 5-9 (KBS C Taper S)

:titleist-small:            Vokey SM9 45 10 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 49 08 F (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 55 08 M (KBS 610)

:titleist-small:           Vokey SM9 59 04 T (KBS 610)

:taylormade-small:     Spider GT Splitback 34"

:titleist-small:           ProV1 #23

Twitter             @THEZIPR23

"One thing Golf has taught me, is that my muscles have no memory."

26 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

The tour is trying to create the drama that is associated with other sports come playoff time. Their biggest hindrance is that it is Golf and not other sports. Baseball, football, basketball, hockey, motorsports whatever the last one standing is the winner. This format doesn't accomplish that because you could have someone play better for 4 days at East Lake and not win the "Championship"

My only idea is to play a 288 hole tournament for the playoffs. Cumulative score. Top 100 players make it, player with lowest score after 4 72 hole tournaments wins. You can make cuts wherever you want but something along these lines might be better.  

The change to this format was to fix optics of event winner and cup winner could be 2 different players.

theres no perfect system but I think for the guys who are in the prefer the it’s in my hands to determine if I get the cup instead of playing well and if not in the top 5 pts heading on that they need help.

i think this format creates more drama because players are using the two prior events but especially the bmw to position themselves closer to the -10 start as possible. As we saw yesterday a hot round changes the leaderboard outlook. 

As I've mentioned before, it's not my favourite format but it is certainly an improvement on what was used prior. I'd prefer to see a match play finale with the top 5 guaranteed to be in the bracket and have a two round stroke play event to determine the next 11 players in the bracket and then standard elimination bracket from then on.

That being said, this new format takes away some of the protection for the top ranked player in the standings, which I think is a good thing. The old format didn't really give the fringe players a real chance at winning the FedEx Cup unless the top guys really choked.

It's like Motorsports, you have to have a really good race to make your way through the field if you're starting at the back but it's more doable in this format than it was in the old format and that's overall a good thing, imo.

I like the match play idea without the stroke play - perhaps top 8 get a bye and 24-9 play an additional round to advance or you start with 32.

I’ve tried watching - got bored and I’m laying down for a nap.

Playing golf Sunday afternoon and working tomorrow so that’s that

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Weather delay... Players should be back on course at 5:35 pm.

Couple of jamokes audibly laughing derisively at Patrick Cantlay missing a short bogey putt on 17 before getting shouted down.

I mean come on, whatever your feelings on the guy, there's no need for that.

Well, Koepka takes the outright lead at -13 on a tough day for scoring. McIlroy and Thomas are both one back at -12 and Schauffele eagled 18 to get to -11.

Couple of jamokes audibly laughing derisively at Patrick Cantlay missing a short bogey putt on 17 before getting shouted down.

Agreed. When Justin Thomas hit his shot long I made the comment that I hope it hit the laughing morons.

What is in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag or Jones MyGolfSpy bag

Driver:    :cobra-small: Dark speed LS 8* set to -1.5* with an Attas Daaas 4x shaft @ 45”

Fairway: :srixon-small: F85 3 wood with a XPhplexx Agera X @ 42.5”

:srixon-small: F85 5 wood with a UST Elements Chrome 7F5 @ 41.5"

Driving Iron: :ping-small: Rapture 2-Iron 

Irons: :edel-golf-1: SMS Pros 4-PW with Steelfiber I95s 

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50* T grind with Steelfiber i110s

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 46* zz wedge shaft

:ping-small: Glide 4.0 E grind 54* zz wedge shaft

Putters: :L.A.B.: Mezz.1 34” 69* lie

:EVNROLL: EV5.1 black 33.5” 69* lie

Heard those guys also, no reason to prove your an ahole.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Well, Koepka takes the outright lead at -13 on a tough day for scoring. McIlroy and Thomas are both one back at -12 and Schauffele eagled 18 to get to -11.

When Brooks gets going not much stops him.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Looking like another tough day for scoring. JT back in the lead at -12.

And we gots ourselves another weather delay. Horn just went.

Scary scene at East Lake. Mike Tirico just reported at least 4 fans are being treated for non-life threatening injuries. Sounds like they may have been struck by some lightning.

At least 6 injured. Play has been suspended for the day and will resume tomorrow at 8 am.

At least 6 injured. Play has been suspended for the day and will resume tomorrow at 8 am.

The lightning strike was on the news, scary. Lucky no life threatening injuries.

Rick

Left Hand,