...that’s all folks.

End of a very good season of golf.

Players: Rory
Masters: Tiger
PGA: Brooks
US Open: G. Wood
The Open: Shane
Tour Champ: Rors

Lots of other winners in between, I hope they revamp the value of a Major next year.

You and me both. I think something is wrong when two major champions aren't at the Tour Championship and a guy who hasn't won until the BMW Championship went into the week with the lead. I did find the Tour Championship/FedEx Cup was simpler but the Majors need more value IMHO.

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

First man to win The Players and the FedEx Cup in the same year. It's been a great year for him. I really expect this to be a big boost for him. 

Yea Rors!!
Interesting back 9, glad I watched most of it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Didn't end up watching the final round. Was out seeing Tarantino's latest flick.

Happy to see Rory win. Had a great season. More than deserving of the W.

Overall the format has to be considered a success in year one. Obviously there's going to be some years where the frontrunner just runs away with things but we got some real drama this year which was good to see.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

DRIVER PXG 0811XF GEN4 (10.5°)

FAIRWAY WOODS PXG 0341XF GEN4 (16°)

HYBRIDS PXG 0317XF GEN4 (19°), PXG 0317X GEN4 (22°)

IRONS PXG 0311T GEN3 (5 - 9)

WEDGES TAYLORMADE MG3 (45°, 50°, 55° TW Grind, 60° TW Grind)

PUTTER PXG BATTLE READY ONE & DONE

Guy that played the best over 4 days won. I think the pga tour got what they were going for from the format

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

Guy that played the best over 4 days won. I think the pga tour got what they were going for from the format

Absolutely - had the drama they wanted, a format everyone could follow without being a mathematical genius and a clear cut winner. Win for the Tour for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

12 hours ago, Shankster said:

I hope they revamp the value of a Major next year.

We had a 30 degree temperature swing from Friday to Saturday!  Quite the contrast!  The damp, overcast, 61 degree day on Saturday scared the course nearly empty.  I played the final 5 holes with a 12 year old kid.  Very talented player for his age and size.  He finished that 5 hole stretch +2.  He is also much smaller than my 11 year old daughter.

Anyway, his idea for fixing the FedEx Cup was fascinating.  Break the season into six - 30 day segments with each culminating with the "major" that month corresponds too.  

• February-March - The Players
  • March-April - The Masters
  • April-May - PGA
  • May-June - US Open
  • June-July - The Open
  • July-August - Tour Championship

The top five players from each segment not already qualified from previous segments, gets an exemption into the Tour Championship.  It rewards majors while almost guaranteeing the best players are in the Tour Championship.

I thought that was a pretty incredible idea coming from a 12 year old kid!

I like that, but what about September through January?

I don’t like football that much.

That’s where the “World Tour” should go. But I guess everyone needs a break, all sports have an off season.

Another thing I’d like to see them tone back is the thing. I watched 2 hours and all I heard was bonus, money, cash, cars.... that is setting a terrible example for the up and comers (kids).

What other sport is money talked about so much? Yes they are paid large sums of money to play basketball, football, baseball etc. but they don’t focus on that.

Yes it is cool that they win 15 mil. But it takes away from the golf I think.

4 minutes ago, Shankster said:

That’s where the “World Tour” should go. But I guess everyone needs a break, all sports have an off season.

Another thing I’d like to see them tone back is the emoji383.png thing. I watched 2 hours and all I heard was bonus, money, cash, cars.... that is setting a terrible example for the up and comers (kids).

What other sport is money talked about so much? Yes they are paid large sums of money to play basketball, football, baseball etc. but they don’t focus on that.

I hadn't thought about it to be honest.  I was just impressed with this kids idea as it was.  Maybe the WGC's could fall around the world at that time.  I would especially like to see a WGC in Australia.

The other sports focus on money. We hear about contract holdouts, free agency, and not reporting to camp because they don’t make enough. Other sports are “salaries” and they have a contract that dictates what they will be paid for a period of time. Golf is more of an “hourly” job and you are never guaranteed to get money. How many golfers get a TV show to announce their signings like Lebron. The money factor with golf is really only discussed when talking about the FedEx cup so it has been a topic over the past few weeks.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

13 hours ago, Shankster said:

I personally can’t wait for the Rory vs Brooks Ryder Cup when they are Captains.

That’d be show business.

Happy that BK didn't win...he comes off as an egotistical a...

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Cobra  LTD 3w 15*, 5W 19*,  F9 24* 
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Wedges- Callaway Jaws Raw (54/58)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Ball- Maxfli Tour X/Wilson Triad
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0
Bag- Callaway Org 14/Fairway C

12 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Happy that BK didn't win...he comes off as an egotistical a...

On one hand, I agree.  He's probably not somebody I would choose to spend time around.  On the other hand, I love the fact that his egotism allows him to get after other players.  Bryson isn't somebody I would choose to spend time around either.  And guys like him need to be called out for their garbage. 

12 minutes ago, sixcat said:

On one hand, I agree.  He's probably not somebody I would choose to spend time around.  On the other hand, I love the fact that his egotism allows him to get after other players.  Bryson isn't somebody I would choose to spend time around either.  And guys like him need to be called out for their garbage. 

Pretty sure if I was offered the chance to play a Pro-Am with him I'd decline.... he probably doesn't say a word to the am he's paired with....he seems to have a "holier than thou" attitude. Bryson is just quirky.

But...it was a good season...not as much drama as in the past.  

Good to see the new schedule change doesn't conflict with the football season.  When that starts I don't even think about watching the PGA....it's boring enough as it is.

Rory was supposed to get his career slam this year but fell short... great player and when he drives accurately and putts well, forget about it.  Happy to hear him with a little dig of Brooks in the interview about how he wanted payback for Memphis.

Hopefully he can get his Masters next year.

Chalk one up for the fit golfers... they look like athletes and played like athletes.  Glad to see that.

Turning the corner.....LET'S GO PATRIOTS !!

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

The other sports focus on money. We hear about contract holdouts, free agency, and not reporting to camp because they don’t make enough. Other sports are “salaries” and they have a contract that dictates what they will be paid for a period of time. Golf is more of an “hourly” job and you are never guaranteed to get money. How many golfers get a TV show to announce their signings like Lebron. The money factor with golf is really only discussed when talking about the FedEx cup so it has been a topic over the past few weeks.

See there I was ignorant to that because I don’t watch those sports. Good to know.

Still think it takes away from the game though.

49 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Nailed it. Employees that are part of a union with collective bargaining agreements compared to individual contractors who get paid only when they work and meet the minimum requirements for the weeks task aka make the cut. Unlike the paid endorsement deals for athletes of team sports that add to their either fully guaranteed contracts like baseball or partially guaranteed like football, golfers use them to offset their income

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

I think Brooks is largely misunderstood, misquoted, or taken out of context. He's a straight shooter and he keeps things simple. You can see it in his press conferences. It's not that other players don't think along similar lines, they just don't say it out loud. I'd be happy to spend the day with someone like Brooks because when the day is over, you'd know exactly where you sit with him.

Driver: :mizuno-small: ST190 9.5* Fujikura Atmos Blue 5S
Fairway Wood: :mizuno-small: ST190 15* Fujikura Atmos Blue 6S
Hybrid: :mizuno-small: CLK 17* Fujikura Speeder EVO HB
Irons: :bridgestone-small: J40 CB (3-PW) Dynamic Gold Tour Issue X100
Wedges: :taylormade-small: Milled Grind 2 54* & 58* Dynamic Gold S200
Putter: :odyssey-small: Tri-Hot 5k Two 34"
Bag: :titleist-small: Players 5 Stand Bag
Ball: Maxfli Tour

1 minute ago, sixcat said:

Oh lord!  You lost me there!

Guessing you must be a Redskins fan since you're in VA...and in that case, you have my sympathies. 

Dan Snyder is slowly destroying a once great franchise.

But...don't mean to derail the topic.

BEST thing about the playoffs this year - VERY BEST THING is that the format isn't the main topic of discussion.... man that would have been terrible.  

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

1 minute ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Guessing you must be a Redskins fan since you're in VA...and in that case, you have my sympathies. 

Living in southwest Virginia means you're really not a part of Virginia at all......sadly!  Richmond believes the the part of Virginia west of Blacksburg and Virginia Tech belongs to someone else.  I live 340 miles from FedEx Field and 112 miles from Bank of America Stadium.  The folks in southwest Virginia identify more with North Carolina and Tennessee, depending on how far west in SWVA you go.

With that said, Dan Snyder may be the worst owner in professional sports.  I don't have a "favorite" NFL team.  I grew up feeling isolated from major sports teams because we were so far removed from them.  The Carolina Panthers didn't exist yet and the Titans were still in Houston.  Which means the Atlanta teams were closest to us.

It's always fascinated me that the western most point of Virginia is further west than Detroit!  Oddly shaped state with very different demographics the further east you travel.

5 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Living in southwest Virginia means you're really not a part of Virginia at all......sadly!  Richmond believes the the part of Virginia west of Blacksburg and Virginia Tech belongs to someone else.  I live 340 miles from FedEx Field and 112 miles from Bank of America Stadium.  The folks in southwest Virginia identify more with North Carolina and Tennessee, depending on how far west in SWVA you go.

With that said, Dan Snyder may be the worst owner in professional sports.  I don't have a "favorite" NFL team.  I grew up feeling isolated from major sports teams because we were so far removed from them.  The Carolina Panthers didn't exist yet and the Titans were still in Houston.  Which means the Atlanta teams were closest to us.

It's always fascinated me that the western most point of Virginia is further west than Detroit!  Oddly shaped state with very different demographics the further east you travel.

Yeah... I grew up outside of Eugene OR and the only pro sports team in the state is the Trailblazers....I get what you're saying.

I became a fan of what was on the television most Sundays in my area - The 49ers.... but not a die hard; Since I moved to the Boston area 20 y/ago I jumped on the Pats bandwagon.

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

3 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

Yeah... I grew up outside of Eugene OR and the only pro sports team in the state is the Trailblazers....I get what you're saying.

I became a fan of what was on the television most Sundays in my area - The 49ers.... but not a die hard; Since I moved to the Boston area 20 y/ago I jumped on the Pats bandwagon.

I have gone to a few Panthers and Hornets games through the years but haven't jumped on the bandwagon.  I tend to like players and they change teams so often, it's hard to build an allegiance. 

My brother has lived in the Charlotte area for nearly 20 years and he hasn't jumped on the bandwagon either.  

59 minutes ago, GolfSpy Stroker said:

But...don't mean to derail the topic.

BEST thing about the playoffs this year - VERY BEST THING is that the format isn't the main topic of discussion.... man that would have been terrible.  

Saw somewhere yesterday that he would have won the event and cup under the old format.

im sure if someone who was near the bottom at the start played well and fell a little short of a mediocre JT there would have been discussion about the format 

40 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Saw somewhere yesterday that he would have won the event and cup under the old format.

im sure if someone who was near the bottom at the start played well and fell a little short of a mediocre JT there would have been discussion about the format 

In my mind, had JT pulled it off, it would have been like a wildcard team winning the Super Bowl - play well enough over the "regular" season to get in, and get hot when it matters. With that same analogy, I don't think he deserved the two stroke head start he received as his season long play was not that good.

Driver:  :callaway-small:Epic Speed 9* (set -1) MMT 70X
3W:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR Recoil 760ES
3H, 4H: :bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR 19*, 23* Recoil 780ES
4-AW:bridgestone-small: Tour B JGR HF2 Modus3 Tour 105
SW: :cleveland-small: RTX Zipcore Black Satin 54*
LW:Sub70: TAIII Black 58*
Putter:ping-small: Scottsdale TR Senita
Bag: BigMax Dri Active Lite
Ball:taylormade-small: TP5x or :titleist-small: AVX (yellow)
Pushcart: BigMax iQ+

Testing Complete, Final Review PostedSub70 TAIII Forged Wedges

17 minutes ago, MaxEntropy said:

In my mind, had JT pulled it off, it would have been like a wildcard team winning the Super Bowl - play well enough over the "regular" season to get in, and get hot when it matters. With that same analogy, I don't think he deserved the two stroke head start he received as his season long play was not that good.

Considering he missed time due to injury and player several events with the injury before stepping away his season was pretty good. He deserved what he earned which was the top spot going into the championship.

Golfers for the most part don’t just luck into anything. They make get some breaks but in this era with the depth of field things are earned more than given 

he had a bunch of top 10s early, struggled a little before and after the masters then played well from The Open thru the playoffs.

they're just like us!  HAHA

DriverCobra  Aerojet LS
Woods-
Irons- XXIO X (6-A)

Putter- Bettinardi BB56
Buggy- Clicgear 4.0

Another thing I’d like to see them tone back is the thing. I watched 2 hours and all I heard was bonus, money, cash, cars.... that is setting a terrible example for the up and comers (kids).

They do that because it's the ONLY thing that adds drama to it. It's the only reason theses guys are nervous. To be clear - I totally agree - but that is the whole thing with the FedEx Cup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

Considering he missed time due to injury and player several events with the injury before stepping away his season was pretty good. He deserved what he earned which was the top spot going into the championship.
Golfers for the most part don’t just luck into anything. They make get some breaks but in this era with the depth of field things are earned more than given 
he had a bunch of top 10s early, struggled a little before and after the masters then played well from The Open thru the playoffs.

We may complain about things but they know the way it works before the season starts. He did play well down the stretch and earned earned what he earned.

Rory had a great start and end to the season - he was the best player in all the Fed Ex tournaments. Brooks won the majors portion so he was POY while Rory won the Fed Ex cup - I think that was reasonable. They got what they earned by their play.

It’s not a bad rhythm. This week we get the Korn Ferry finals which will be very exciting as guys get their cards for next year. The following week we get to see the newbies try out their chops and meet them throughout the fall season if we want to watch - there’s still pretty good golf going on for those of us who wish to watch it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

5 hours ago, Kenny B said:

The playoff events shouldn't be worth so many points... Majors should be worth more points.

The majors are worth more points than other events and other wgc as well. The playoffs are an elimination event so those who earned their spot now have the change to be rewarded more for their play against the top guys for the season.

the playoffs on other sports are more important than the regular season.

if the tour wants to improve the fields during the year then don’t count the playoffs as events that qualify under the 25 event rule if one chooses not to play an event they haven’t played i 4 years or for those that did make that choice the playoffs don’t count towards the minimum a player needs to maintain their card

7 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

The majors are worth more points than other events and other wgc as well. The playoffs are an elimination event so those who earned their spot now have the change to be rewarded more for their play against the top guys for the season.

the playoffs on other sports are more important than the regular season.

if the tour wants to improve the fields during the year then don’t count the playoffs as events that qualify under the 25 event rule if one chooses not to play an event they haven’t played i 4 years or for those that did make that choice the playoffs don’t count towards the minimum a player needs to maintain their card

The issue really is that we and the PGA Tour are imposing the way other sports work on Golf.  For Golf it has been about the Majors since Bobby Jones made it about the Majors and Jack Nicklaus' ratified Jones' record by talking so much about it.  Since then it has been about the Majors.  

There's little doubt that the Player's Championship boasts a tougher field than the Majors and it is played on a top course that everyone agrees favors no one.  But it can't crack those four and probably never will.  Honestly the Golf Playoffs are nothing more than a glorified skins game.  None of the tournaments has any sort of history behind it - Did Ben Hogan ever win the Northern Trust? 

Like it or not history matters in Golf - That is very unlikely to change given that those who love the game love its history.  We are going to gravitate towards the majors as markers for a successful season.  My guess would be that Rory would trade the 15 millions dollars for one of the majors this past year in a heartbeat.  He'd probably trade every penny that he earned this season and last for a Masters (he'd make more than that later anyway.) 

The best thing about the Playoffs is they keep the better players around later into the season. 

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD