Testers Wanted! AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

FedEx Cup Playoffs

Shankster

The issue really is that we and the PGA Tour are imposing the way other sports work on Golf.  For Golf it has been about the Majors since Bobby Jones made it about the Majors and Jack Nicklaus' ratified Jones' record by talking so much about it.  Since then it has been about the Majors.  
There's little doubt that the Player's Championship boasts a tougher field than the Majors and it is played on a top course that everyone agrees favors no one.  But it can't crack those four and probably never will.  Honestly the Golf Playoffs are nothing more than a glorified skins game.  None of the tournaments has any sort of history behind it - Did Ben Hogan ever win the Northern Trust? 
Like it or not history matters in Golf - That is very unlikely to change given that those who love the game love its history.  We are going to gravitate towards the majors as markers for a successful season.  My guess would be that Rory would trade the 15 millions dollars for one of the majors this past year in a heartbeat.  He'd probably trade every penny that he earned this season and last for a Masters (he'd make more than that later anyway.) 
The best thing about the Playoffs is they keep the better players around later into the season. 

Well said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

6 hours ago, revkev said:

The issue really is that we and the PGA Tour are imposing the way other sports work on Golf.  For Golf it has been about the Majors since Bobby Jones made it about the Majors and Jack Nicklaus' ratified Jones' record by talking so much about it.  Since then it has been about the Majors.  

There's little doubt that the Player's Championship boasts a tougher field than the Majors and it is played on a top course that everyone agrees favors no one.  But it can't crack those four and probably never will.  Honestly the Golf Playoffs are nothing more than a glorified skins game.  None of the tournaments has any sort of history behind it - Did Ben Hogan ever win the Northern Trust? 

Like it or not history matters in Golf - That is very unlikely to change given that those who love the game love its history.  We are going to gravitate towards the majors as markers for a successful season.  My guess would be that Rory would trade the 15 millions dollars for one of the majors this past year in a heartbeat.  He'd probably trade every penny that he earned this season and last for a Masters (he'd make more than that later anyway.) 

The best thing about the Playoffs is they keep the better players around later into the season. 

Agree we as golf fans especially the more hard core ones put the majors in high regards especially these days since the media puts so much emphasis on them and Tigers chase of Jack, while saying the other events aren’t as important but that the Players is the 5th major and WGCs are a close second.

the long time fans were used to the fall season being the silly season and most were not really into watching that. Then the tour added FedEx cup and then points to the fall schedule an the wrap around season.

then we got two winners a few times splitting the tour championship and FedEx cup money and because of football and post majors lower viewership. So they made changes and reduced the playoffs to finish before football. Like you said we get to see bigger names post majors and part of the fall...which is a win for the tour and viewership.

i don’t agree rory would turn in 15 million for a major to include the masters and the career grand slam.

I get we want golf to be how we remember it and for majors and the greats to be given special treatment but the tour has set their criteria to 1) keep a card 2) qualify for the playoffs 3) how to advance thru the playoffs.

what I don’t get is the negativity like it affects anyone’s life. I’m all for criticism but to constantly harp on how bad the playoffs are or how the tour is ruining golf. The tour is a business and are doing things that they feel will bring them the most attention and revenue. I’m of the opinion if you don’t like something then avoid it and let those who like it enjoy it. If enough people don’t like something then the owner(s) of that will get the message and work to change it to make it better

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

3 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

If enough people don’t like something then the owner(s) of that will get the message and work to change it to make it better

Yes, that's exactly what they have been doing.  The points keep changing, the format changes, and they still haven't got it right.  Maybe one day they will.

I know the FedEX Cup is all about consistent play throughout the year, but a Tour Championship with the winners of Masters and the Open Championship not present is hard to take seriously.  I suspect more changes will be coming.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

5 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Yes, that's exactly what they have been doing.  The points keep changing, the format changes, and they still haven't got it right.  Maybe one day they will.

I know the FedEX Cup is all about consistent play throughout the year, but a Tour Championship with the winners of Masters and the Open Championship not present is hard to take seriously.  I suspect more changes will be coming.

Right by whose standards? They had a formula they used until last year. Tiger wins the event and Rose the Fedex Cup. Sure fans wanted to see Tiger win both but it didn’t happen...no ones lives changed but the tour didn’t like the optics so they changed the format to get one winner.

the tour championship is the culmination of the playoffs which has a field determined by the season and has rules for advancing. The masters champ played 12 events and withdrew from one of the playoff events. It’s the masters fault he wasn’t in the tour championship. The open championship winner played in 14 events and missed the cut in 5. He didn’t play enough to gain points and advance. That’s not the yours fault. 

Nobody gets a bye into a championship they have to earn it. The tour sets their system and the players know what they need. Some get it done and some don’t. 

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

12 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Agree we as golf fans especially the more hard core ones put the majors in high regards especially these days since the media puts so much emphasis on them and Tigers chase of Jack, while saying the other events aren’t as important but that the Players is the 5th major and WGCs are a close second.

the long time fans were used to the fall season being the silly season and most were not really into watching that. Then the tour added FedEx cup and then points to the fall schedule an the wrap around season.

then we got two winners a few times splitting the tour championship and FedEx cup money and because of football and post majors lower viewership. So they made changes and reduced the playoffs to finish before football. Like you said we get to see bigger names post majors and part of the fall...which is a win for the tour and viewership.

i don’t agree rory would turn in 15 million for a major to include the masters and the career grand slam.

I get we want golf to be how we remember it and for majors and the greats to be given special treatment but the tour has set their criteria to 1) keep a card 2) qualify for the playoffs 3) how to advance thru the playoffs.

what I don’t get is the negativity like it affects anyone’s life. I’m all for criticism but to constantly harp on how bad the playoffs are or how the tour is ruining golf. The tour is a business and are doing things that they feel will bring them the most attention and revenue. I’m of the opinion if you don’t like something then avoid it and let those who like it enjoy it. If enough people don’t like something then the owner(s) of that will get the message and work to change it to make it better

I want to be clear that I have not been entirely negative nor even especially negative about the playoffs - I don't make a tongue and cheek remark about awarding so many points for playoff wins - I don't know that there's a proper formula for that though because golf has always been so streaky - top players are going to try and gear their prep for the Majors before they do the playoffs anyway so almost no matter what you do you can't win - beyond saying that the finals will include the 4 major winners - that actually makes sense.

As stated earlier, I like the new rhythm created by this year's schedule.  It even allows for an avid fan to watch golf in the fall.  I will, if the Giants or Packers aren't playing I'm not watching football anyway until the playoffs and even then it's spotty as given the chance I will play golf over watching any sporting event - I have unlimited data and can always stream the event on the course as I did all four final rounds of the majors this year - my foursome and I found that fun.

Looking forward to the Korn Ferry finals on Sunday - I'm playing Saturday, weather permitting, so I won't be seeing any golf that day.  But I won't be playing Sunday as we will be preparing for some sort of tropical event on Monday.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

12 minutes ago, revkev said:

I want to be clear that I have not been entirely negative nor even especially negative about the playoffs - I don't make a tongue and cheek remark about awarding so many points for playoff wins - I don't know that there's a proper formula for that though because golf has always been so streaky - top players are going to try and gear their prep for the Majors before they do the playoffs anyway so almost no matter what you do you can't win - beyond saying that the finals will include the 4 major winners - that actually makes sense.

As stated earlier, I like the new rhythm created by this year's schedule.  It even allows for an avid fan to watch golf in the fall.  I will, if the Giants or Packers aren't playing I'm not watching football anyway until the playoffs and even then it's spotty as given the chance I will play golf over watching any sporting event - I have unlimited data and can always stream the event on the course as I did all four final rounds of the majors this year - my foursome and I found that fun.

Looking forward to the Korn Ferry finals on Sunday - I'm playing Saturday, weather permitting, so I won't be seeing any golf that day.  But I won't be playing Sunday as we will be preparing for some sort of tropical event on Monday.

The negativity comment wasn’t directed at you or anyone in specific but rather the growing sentiment I’ve seen around various forums and other social media platforms not only about the playoffs but tv coverage of events and in general anything people don’t like.

there used to be a time in society where if you didn’t like a show you didn’t watch it, if you didn’t like a product you didn’t buy it, if you didn’t like a specific food you didn’t eat it and so on. These days the sentiment of complaining and wanting or in some cases demanding change is the new norm. Painting a broad stoke here but way to many people with the my opinion is the only one that matters and if something doesn’t fit my criteria it’s wrong.

i think the pga tour is doing a good job of trying to build interest throughout the year for a sport that is more niche than mainstream like baseball, football and basketball with the last two getting most of the attention at the start of the wrap around season of end of it.

is the system perfect? Nope but it’s applied equally to each golfer and they know what they need to go to reach the playoffs and to advance. 

Edit: I wanted to see tiger at east lake not because he won the masters this year but because he is tiger. I would have liked to see Lowry there too not because he won the open but because I like him as a golfer and wanted to see him play

Why do you think that a player that is exclusively a European tour player that wins the Open and never plays on the PGA tour should automatically be added to the Tour Championship field? As for Tiger, he didn’t play at a high enough level to advance in the playoffs.

Right or wrong the fed ex cup is about consistent play throughout the year and continually having good performance against the best players. The Tour Championship showcased the 30 players that performed. Playoff formats occasionally eliminate the best early.

No matter what system is setup there will be people that think the system is flawed.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

“But I feel that if I keep doing the things I’m doing, sooner or later I’ll get another one and all this noise will then go away. However, if the narrative becomes that the majors are the only important thing in golf, then that’s dangerous because are fans not going to care for the other 48 weeks of the year?”

Rory McIlroy 

“But I feel that if I keep doing the things I’m doing, sooner or later I’ll get another one and all this noise will then go away. However, if the narrative becomes that the majors are the only important thing in golf, then that’s dangerous because are fans not going to care for the other 48 weeks of the year?”
Rory McIlroy 

That’s already true for many people and has been for decades

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD