FedEx Cup Playoffs

Our Sponsors

IMG_6271.JPG

Race for the FedEx Cup... we’ve heard that a few times this year.

I personally am not a fan of the playoffs how they are. Feels cheap, commercial, and boring.

But it’s all about them Benjamin’s... a FedEx truck load to be exact.

There is no way BK doesn’t win this. I have him for the sweep. All three.

You?

• Like 6
  • Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I understand that the FedEx Cup playoffs are for the players that played consistent golf throughout the year, but IMHO it can't be called the Tour Championship anymore.  Not when Major champions Tiger

It's like playing in a handicap tournament, only you are giving the best players strokes.  🤐

Livelyhood? What about poor Viktor Hovland that got screwed out of a card by a few points... and then they change the rule the following week... that is crap.  

Posted Images

I’m not seeing a sweep but must confess that I’m lost in regards to format for this - that’s not good given how big a golf fan I am.

Am I correct that only the top 10 entering the championship can win the overall title?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

• Like 3

Ping G410 - set at 12 degrees, fade setting - Fujikura Motore X R flex

Ping G410 5-9 wood

G30 6-PW -  Aerotech FT 500 shafts

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Titleist Pro VIx optic yellow with revkev stamped on them

I’m not seeing a sweep but must confess that I’m lost in regards to format for this - that’s not good given how big a golf fan I am.

Am I correct that only the top 10 entering the championship can win the overall title?

I believe so. I am also lost.

What’s with the -10 head start?

This has to be the worst possible way to crown a champion. Are we watching NASCAR or golf?
  • Like 4

Anyone inside the top 30 can win the FedEx Cup as usual. They changed the format for this year as a means of simplifying the championship so that whoever wins the Tour Championship will also win the FedEx Cup and they won't need an MIT algorithm to calculate winners. #1 in points heading into the Tour Championship starts at -10 so they have the biggest advantage, but #30 could win it all, they'd just have to make up 10 shots.

It's not my favourite, but I get why they're doing it. I'd prefer a 2 day stroke play event, then top 16 after that go into a match play bracket personally.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

I’d like to see a 5th major-like be the Tour Championship.

Set it up like a WGC. Top 70 get in, and like you said first 2 days stroke play. Then match play on Saturday and Sunday.

Scrap the “bubble boy” crap. Yeah, these guys are playing for their livelihood, but it would give them more incentive to play well throughout the year.

And please move it to a more interesting venue.

I honestly don't like the playoffs and all the emphasis on money. To be clear, I'm happy for them to win the money - I don't begrudge it at all. I hate, though, money being thr emphasis. It used to be 10 million now it's 15. I think it likely that BK will win that and he just won the Wyndham Rewards ($2 million) so $17 million just in bonuses for one year is a but much - especially to outsiders.

Golf gets overshadowed in my opinion and it's also not very exciting but again just my opinion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

27 minutes ago, golfertrb said:

I hate, though, money being thr emphasis.

The problem is that the money is really all that makes it interesting.  The "problem" with professional golf is that we get interested four times a year, during the majors.  Maybe once more for the Ryder/President's Cup.  Four or five times a year, it's about more than the money.  You can't manufacture history; you can't invent drama.

I'm not a fan of the new format.  If you had this format last year, Tiger doesn't win the Tour Championship and the start of Tiger's comeback.

What would I like to see?  Match play.  Put the top 16 in the points list into a bracket and play 36 hole matches over two weekends.  The two finalists playing 36 holes for $15 million?  I'd watch that.

• Like 3

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (16*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
2 Iron - :mizuno-small: FliHi (18*) - Recoil 760 ( S )
4i - GW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
SW - LW - :cobra-small: F8 - N.S. Pro Modus3 Tour105 ( S )
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Black)
Ball -  :srixon-small: Z-Star XV
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

Considering all the insult to the brain programs being aired these days, I'll watch just about any golf tournament... even the FedEx Playoffs.

• Like 5

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

It's like playing in a handicap tournament, only you are giving the best players strokes.  🤐

• Like 8

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Considering all the insult to the brain programs being aired these days, I'll watch just about any golf tournament... even the FedEx Playoffs.

Yes to this

I had honestly forgotten about the strokes thing until this thread caused me to go check. I didn’t mind the other way so much. I like reducing it to three tournaments. Although 3 down to 16 for three days of match play sounds exciting - great game dea actually

• Like 2

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

Glad it's not just me who doesn't really understand the format and overall scoring. I'll watch regardless as it's Golf.

The Scottish ladies Open starts here today, I think I might find that more interesting overall 😉

• Like 6

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

So I just read about the changes on pgatour.com and it sounds like whoever is #1 going into the TOUR CHAMPIONSHIP will start the tournament at -10...can anyone confirm that I'm reading that correctly?  If the #1 player birdies the first hole in the Championship, does that mean that they'll show his score to be -11?

Also, with the FedEx Cup Playoff Pick 'em that @GolfSpy MPR sent out, does that mean that the starting score of -10 will factor into the winning score that I put down in that thread?  

• Like 4

In my ATumSBM.jpg Silencer

:cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size

SONARTEC 3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride G2 Tour Wrap

Gigagolf.com - TXR Hybrid: 3H, UST Proforce V2 S-flex, with GolfPride G2 Tour Wrap

:ping-small: G 2016, 4-PW, AWT 2.0 S-flex, +1/2", black dot, with Super Stroke - Soft Wrap TC

:titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D

:EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft

:Snell: MTB-X

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope

FYI, in case you missed it...

The FedEx Cup leader begins the tournament at 10 under,
#2 at 8 under,
#3 at 7 under,
#4 at 6 under and
#5 at 5 under.

Players 6-10 will be at 4 under,
11-15 at 3 under,
16-20 at 2 under,
21-25 at 1 under and
26-30 will start at even par.

Under this new scoring system, only one winner will be crowned on Sunday: the overall FedEx Cup champion.

• Like 2

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 hours ago, M. Parsons said:

So I just read about the changes on pgatour.com and it sounds like whoever is #1 going into the TOUR CHAMPIONSHIP will start the tournament at -10...can anyone confirm that I'm reading that correctly?  If the #1 player birdies the first hole in the Championship, does that mean that they'll show his score to be -11?

Also, with the FedEx Cup Playoff Pick 'em that @GolfSpy MPR sent out, does that mean that the starting score of -10 will factor into the winning score that I put down in that thread?  

Added a clarification on this to the contest rules a couple days ago, after being asked about it in DMs a few times. Because the score with the starting "handicap" is the official score, it is the score we are using for the contest.

• Like 2

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero, 9°, Aldila Rogue White 70 X
:taylormade-small: M4 3HL 16.5°, Atmos Red 60
:cobra-small: F6 5-6W, 19.5°, Fujikura Motore 6.3
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX 20°, Project X HZRDUS 85 5.5
:Sub70: 699 Pro, Modus3 105, 5–PW
:Sub70: Forged Black 50°, 54°, and 58°
:odyssey-small: Stroke Lab EXO Seven Mini, 34"
:srixon-small: Z-Star XV

1 hour ago, Kenny B said:

FYI, in case you missed it...

The FedEx Cup leader begins the tournament at 10 under,
#2 at 8 under,
#3 at 7 under,
#4 at 6 under and
#5 at 5 under.

Players 6-10 will be at 4 under,
11-15 at 3 under,
16-20 at 2 under,
21-25 at 1 under and
26-30 will start at even par.

Under this new scoring system, only one winner will be crowned on Sunday: the overall FedEx Cup champion.

Could I start at minus 50?  That way I'd have a chance. 🙂

There's a thread - what would a scratch golfer need to start at to have a chance to win the Cup at East Lake as it's set up for the Championship with the top 30 guys in the field  - I will open the bidding at -40

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Ping G410 5-9 wood

SCOR 48,52,56,60

EVNRoll ER 5

4 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Added a clarification on this to the contest rules a couple days ago, after being asked about it in DMs a few times. Because the score with the starting "handicap" is the official score, it is the score we are using for the contest.

We're screwed!!!  I'm thinking -28

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

Missed that one, I guess I can only hope that the #1 player either doesn't play that well, or the person that wins is only at -19, or whatever tiebreaker I picked.  However, the winning score has been right around that number for the last few years.  So, if that's the case, then the winning score should be closer to -30.

• Like 1

In my ATumSBM.jpg Silencer

:cobra-small: King F9 set to 9*, Tour length Hzrdus Smoke Black 6.0 S-flex, with GolfPride MCC +4 mid-size

SONARTEC 3W - 13*, UST Mamiya 65 Gold S-flex, with GolfPride G2 Tour Wrap

Gigagolf.com - TXR Hybrid: 3H, UST Proforce V2 S-flex, with GolfPride G2 Tour Wrap

:ping-small: G 2016, 4-PW, AWT 2.0 S-flex, +1/2", black dot, with Super Stroke - Soft Wrap TC

:titelist-small: :vokey-small: - SM8 Tour Chrome, 50.08F - 54.10S - 58.12D

:EVNROLL: Custom Fit 35" ER6 Red at 68 degree lie angle and 4 degrees of loft

:Snell: MTB-X

:918457628_PrecisionPro: NX7 Pro Slope

True that....
We’ve got 500 channels and there’s nothing to watch.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

It's like playing in a handicap tournament, only you are giving the best players strokes.  

Interesting but true.

• Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

17 hours ago, Kenny B said:

This is messed up IMHO 🤨.

• Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter