Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Shallowing Out A Swing

I posted in my league post about looking for help with shallowing out my swing but figured it would probably get more traction in here. I've been digging into the ground way too much on my iron shots. I'm actually making solid contact with the ball most of the time, but there's weak follow through due to the amount of ground I'm chunking up after.

If anybody has any tips/drills/ideas that may help I'm all ears. I'm planning on hitting the driving range this weekend ahead of our championship round next Tuesday.

Right Handed

Driver: Cobra Amp (circa ~2013)  8.5* X-Stiff

19* Hybrid: Cobra King F7 Stiff

Irons (4-PW): Titleist AP2 714 X-Stiff

52* Wedge: Vokey SM6

56* Wedge: TaylorMade Tour Preferred

60* Wedge: Vokey SM6

Putter: Nike Method MC-3i Blade

Ball: Vice Pro+

The cause for steepness can be from multiple reasons. You need to find the cause. It will be hard for anyone here to help you without video.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

I agree with @RickyBobby_PR, steepness isn't a cause, its a symptom, and there are lots of causes that can result in that symptom.  At very minimum, you'd need to post videos of your swing to be analyzed.  Then you'd need to be sure that whoever analyzes the video actually knows enough about the golf swing to determine the single most important thing you need to change right now.  Then you have to make that change.

The single worst thing you can do is troll the internet looking at the thousands of tips that COULD help you to shallow your swing.  Well, no, the worst thing is that you could try all of them to see if any of them work.  The best thing, go see a good instructor.

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Thanks guys, I'll try to get some video tomorrow at the range.

Right Handed

Driver: Cobra Amp (circa ~2013)  8.5* X-Stiff

19* Hybrid: Cobra King F7 Stiff

Irons (4-PW): Titleist AP2 714 X-Stiff

52* Wedge: Vokey SM6

56* Wedge: TaylorMade Tour Preferred

60* Wedge: Vokey SM6

Putter: Nike Method MC-3i Blade

Ball: Vice Pro+

I agree with the guys who have already spoken: chasing random swing tips is a recipe for perpetual self-sabotage.

With that disclaimer in place, here's a tip that helped me. There was a magazine article about Phil giving driving tips (ironic, I think). He has a sponsor logo on his trail arm sleeve. He wants to feel as though on the downswing, the shaft is coming under that logo.

It's been a good help for me. I can get away with a measure of steepness with irons, but when I get steep with my driver, I get a terrible mix of pulls and skyballs (with the idiot marks to remember them by). Phil's swing thought has been very effective for me to get my tee game back on track when I see those shots.

:titleist-small: TS3 9.5°, Tensei Blue
:755178188_TourEdge: CBX T3 15°, Project X HZRDUS Black
:callaway-small: Epic Super Hybrid 18°, Aerotech Steel Fiber FC HYB S
:755178188_TourEdge: C722 21°, Ventus Blue 8S
:touredgeexotics: CBX Iron-Wood 25°, Project X HZRDUS Black 6.0
:Sub70: 639 CB, Aldila NV 95 Graphite, 6–PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 48°
:mizuno-small: T22 54° and 60°
:edel-golf-1: EAS 4.0, Garsen G-Pro grip
:taylormade-small: TP5x and Tour Response

Full WITB with pictures

56 minutes ago, GolfSpy MPR said:

I agree with the guys who have already spoken: chasing random swing tips is a recipe for perpetual self-sabotage.

couldn't agree more- been doing that all summer with great results for a few holes then melt down, so you then chase another 'quick' swing tip lol

As of the last 2 days I have gone back to absolute basics and todays practice has me thinking I could smash my handicap if I can take this basic '2 turns and a swish' swingthought onto the competition course tomorrow.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"