Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

Cleveland UHX Launcher 3 Iron

PING G30 5-PW

Cleveland RTX 3.0 50/10 V-MG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 54/14  V-FG

Cleveland RTX 3.0 58/12 V -FG

EVNROLL ER-3

Great job on the stage 1! The Atomics look good in the bag and I love that Cobra headcover. Takes me back to my childhood watching G.I. Joe.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Oh yeah! And of course that’s a Cobra Hybrid under there too!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

PING G30 5-PW

EVNROLL ER-3

I am noticing a tendency for a draw with these irons more than with my Cobra's. They can produce a nice, straight flight, but I'm seeing some right to left movement on occasion. The 60 gram tungsten weight in the toe definitely helps close the face.

I went to the range tonight after work and can't say I had my best ball striking round. Lots of chunks and tops. Lots. The balls I did hit pure were a delight. Nice high ball flight and good distance, for range balls.

I'm planning on playing again on Friday, of the HVAC guy shows up on time. If not, I'll definitely be out on the course this weekend to gather some more data.

Bump

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

PING G30 5-PW

EVNROLL ER-3

Trying to keep these reviews up and trending

Titleist 917D2 10.5

Ben Hogan GS53 3 Wood

PING G425 MAX 5 Wood

PING G30 5-PW

EVNROLL ER-3

After a horrendous range session on Wednesday where I think I forgot how to hit a golf ball, I got out and played today. Shot a personal best 47/41 for an total of 88! Since gaming the Atomics I've had two rounds below 90, and a few over 100.

I caught fire on the back nine, highlighted by a drive on the 250 yard par 4 that hit the green. As for the irons, the Atomics are starting to come along nicely. I hit a 122 yard 9 iron into the 8th, a 142 yard 8 iron into the 3rd, and a 104 yard PW that was just left on the 9th. I'm still struggling with the 4 and 5 irons and might eventually have to look to replace those with hybrids.

I thought I would look again at the numbers through seven rounds and compare with my Cobras.

Cobra

Screenshot_20190816-192355.jpeg.8c998897daaf5894b4c2f5923c513db5.jpeg

Tommy Armour

Screenshot_20190816-183500.jpeg.8ee1e876d921cb3163c9e55dae6cbc98.jpeg

I'm still seeing similar results with the long irons and wedges, but the 7, 8, and 9 irons are 13, 5, and 37 yards longer at the same point with the Cobra's.

Overall, through every round I've tracked with Arccos here's the difference I've seen in distances. Screenshot_20190816-203133-01.jpeg.1e392f4a12b7fb7701a09a48eb5e6e2e.jpeg

I also looked at the handicap differences through 7 rounds and am playing to a 2.1 stroke difference between the Atomics and Cobra's. Plus my approach handicap is 2 strokes better. 20190816_193504.jpeg.dcd7425847a55b996770979c419c50b3.jpeg20190816_193548.jpeg.353fc91c43bf94492583e18b34aabe1f.jpeg

I know some players worry about the jacked lofts and how they will stop on the greens. I had two shots today, from a distance that hit the green and performed well.

The first is the 143 yard 8 iron into the 3rd.

20190816_162047-01.jpeg.30b7958c568b3bea6dd885de21c7facf.jpeg

The second is a 7 iron from 150.20190816_171650-01.jpeg.d191a398d90e8729f4856ff527bf005d.jpeg

You guys are testing the regular and not the max irons correct?

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

As far as I know, we are. You would be more than welcome to come on here and give us your review on the Max irons, as I'm sure some people would love to hear about them.

I'd be interested in that too, as it appears only the Max comes with graphite shafts. That's a must-have for my next set. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

9 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

As far as I know, we are. You would be more than welcome to come on here and give us your review on the Max irons, as I'm sure some people would love to hear about them.

8 hours ago, russtopherb said:

I'd be interested in that too, as it appears only the Max comes with graphite shafts. That's a must-have for my next set. 

My Atomic Max irons have "MAX' written on the badge and the shafts are steel.  Love em! 

Cleveland

Played another nine holes this evening. I didn't have my best ball striking round, but I still shot 45. I'm having issues topping the ball, but even on Mis-hits the Atomics are performing admirably. I'm really starting to love the set wedges, from 100-115 these are great! I'm still having issues off the tee with the long irons. I only hit the 5 iron once today on the first and hit a pull hook that left me with a 4 iron punch out under some tree branches. Screenshot_20190817-203909.jpeg
The shot with the PW (50) was my shot of the day and was pure luck. I probably would have been over the green, but struck the tree that in the Arccos picture that has no leaves and the ball ricocheted straight right and left me with a 14 foot putt.

20190817_210420-01.jpeg.1c75a253980aecd6168a03dace05b71b.jpeg

20190817_181005-01.jpeg.bc131fae3ed974b9c68053a7882a8849.jpeg

I'm planning on playing again Friday, and I'm really excited because my wife will be tagging along to learn about this game we all love. She has been with me once before, years ago. I can't wait to share the golfing experience with her.

Hello, all.  So, first off, a little bit about me.  My name is Chad and I currently live in Columbus, OH.  Im 39 years old and have playing golf for 22 years.  Im currently playing at about a 15 handicap.
So, about my game.  I would say that Im not the longest hitter in the world but I am pretty decent with my driver, wedges and putter.  The best part of my game is my wedges and putter.  Im a flop shot master and I excel at lag putting.
My weakness is probably my irons.  I just dont seem to be very good at getting my approach shots close to the hole.  Thats probably why Im so good at lag putting.  LOL
My typical ballflight is a lower trajectory with a slight draw.
So, first impression on the Atomic irons.  I actually think they have a semi-classic look to them in that they dont have super fat soles and dont have as much offset as some GI irons that Ive played.  They dont have thin soles either though and do have some offset, so for me they kind of sit somewhere in the middle of being a player's iron and an SGI shovel.  They actually are quite pretty as far as GI irons go, although the lack of a cavity gives them a somewhat intersting look.
Another thing that I noticed is just how light there are.  Compared to my vintage Spaldings from the '30s and my Titleist DCI 981s from the early '00s, they are super, super light.  At first Id though maybe it was just my bias but I had my wife hold them and didnt tell her that I thought they were very light and she commented at how light they are.
I will be interested to see how they play because they do have very strong lofts and I have some concerns for being able to hit the ball high enough to get the ball to check up on the greens.  With strong lofts when you get to the mid and long irons you get to where the launch angle is low and there simply isnt enough spin to keep the ball in the air but we shall see.  My normal set of irons right how is a set of Titleist AP1s and the TAs have stronger lofts than the AP1s do, so it will be intesting to compare them.
So, that brings me to the questons that I have for these irons:
1.)  With such strong lofts, will I be able to get enough launch angle with them to hit the ball off the deck with the mid and long irons and with all of the irons will I be able to get enough launch to get the ball to hold the green.  I typically play less expensive balls that arent quite so spinny, so I need to use height instead of spin to get the ball to stop on the green.
2.)  How much more distance will the stronger lofts give me?
3.)  How is the feel?  With the feel be clicky or will there be no feel at all?  Typically, GI irons are more forgiving at the cost of feel.
Great write-up@ZenGolfer! How are you finding the launch angle to be so far with the Atomics? I'm seeing some high launch with the mid to low irons, but am having fits with the long irons off the deck.

8 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

Great write-up@ZenGolfer! How are you finding the launch angle to be so far with the Atomics? I'm seeing some high launch with the mid to low irons, but am having fits with the long irons off the deck.

The launch is good so far.  I find it to be from high to mid-high.  I was a bit surprised when I first started playing them now high I was hitting the ball and how it just sees to float in the air.  I found that I was airmailing greens by 10-20 yards.

Im kind of struggling with judging distance with them.  I seem to either air mail it way over the green or some up short and I struggle with being inbetween clubs and throttling it back.  It will come with time, I think but Im not hitting very many greens right now.  

I had a round recently where I just started aiming for the greenside bunkers and trusting my shortgame.  It actually worked quite well.  My short game and sand game isnt bad and I found it safer to use an explosion shot out of a bunker than to have a 20 yard pitch from the rough.

Edited by ZenGolfer

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Hey guys. Great job so far with the data you are posting. I am back from a week in Maine with the FAM, so ill be posting some stage 2 write ups this week. I should have another 2 rounds in by Friday, so ill look to get this done Friday night or Saturday morning.  Keep the data coming. Looks great!!!

Golf is cool

A few thoughts on what I'm seeing with the MAX version of the Atomic irons. 

If you're an old coot and there are many of us on this forum, you might want to consider these irons. For the price ($399.00 for steel & $449.00 for graphite) you would find a hard time beating the value of these irons!  You young coots could enjoy these as well as they are absolutely user friendly and loaded with distance and forgiveness.  I've gained at least a club back in the distance category which makes this game a bit easier for us geritol junkies.  I know I know the lofts are jacked up however with the MAX version you also get plenty of high soft shots landing on the green like a butterfly with sore feet which keeps the ball closer to your desired location. 

They have big butts!   Big butts means the weight is moved down under for maximum forgiveness and for us hackers that's a big deal. Big butts are a good thing.  I've included a toe view where you can see the offset which helps us hit those high soft shots.  Did I say they feel softer than a little duck's butt!  These irons are smoother than slugging down a nice cold glass of prune juice for your nightcap.  You ask are they forgiving?  Take a look at the next pic and drool over that cupface smile and those grooves are no doubt groovy 😎for those approaches over obstacles.   

These are GOOD looking irons folks! 😍   They work exceptionally well for this ole coot and I see no reason not to game these for a lonnnnnnnng time.  My version came with the True Temper XP 85 Steel Shafts which are right up my alley as they promote a high ball flight and the trajectory is beautiful.  The graphite version comes with the UST Recoil ES 760 Graphite Shafts.

457566872_facemaxview-Edited.jpg.b71739730f7eb1d2bc93a6615c9e54f2.jpgYou can see "Max" under the Name ATOMIC

307854439_backmaxview-Edited.jpg.a706e34167cd01b6a4330d1d03fb87d1.jpg326451130_toemaximage-Edited.jpg.0c07c36ff0169ae49f65d7faabaa461c.jpg1271838851_groovesmaxview-Edited.jpg.f3f61d3079474d332627e90e6f973b3b.jpg

Cleveland

2 hours ago, ole gray said:

If you're an old coot and there are many of us on this forum, you might want to consider these irons. For the price ($399.00 for steel & $449.00 for graphite) you would find a hard time beating the value of these irons!  You young coots could enjoy these as well as they are absolutely user friendly and loaded with distance and forgiveness.  I've gained at least a club back in the distance category which makes this game a bit easier for us geritol junkies.  I know I know the lofts are jacked up however with the MAX version you also get plenty of high soft shots landing on the green like a butterfly with sore feet which keeps the ball closer to your desired location. 

They have big butts!   Big butts means the weight is moved down under for maximum forgiveness and for us hackers that's a big deal. Big butts are a good thing.  I've included a toe view where you can see the offset which helps us hit those high soft shots.  Did I say they feel softer than a little duck's butt!  These irons are smoother than slugging down a nice cold glass of prune juice for your nightcap.  You ask are they forgiving?  Take a look at the next pic and drool over that cupface smile and those grooves are no doubt groovy 😎for those approaches over obstacles.   

These are GOOD looking irons folks! 😍   They work exceptionally well for this ole coot and I see no reason not to game these for a lonnnnnnnng time.  My version came with the True Temper XP 85 Steel Shafts which are right up my alley as they promote a high ball flight and the trajectory is beautiful.  The graphite version comes with the UST Recoil ES 760 Graphite Shafts.

457566872_facemaxview-Edited.jpg.b71739730f7eb1d2bc93a6615c9e54f2.jpgYou can see "Max" under the Name ATOMIC

307854439_backmaxview-Edited.jpg.a706e34167cd01b6a4330d1d03fb87d1.jpg326451130_toemaximage-Edited.jpg.0c07c36ff0169ae49f65d7faabaa461c.jpg1271838851_groovesmaxview-Edited.jpg.f3f61d3079474d332627e90e6f973b3b.jpg

Excellent write-up @ole gray, I always enjoy hearing your thoughts and thank you for sharing this. 

3 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Excellent write-up @ole gray, I always enjoy hearing your thoughts and thank you for sharing this. 

Thank you sir and I'm looking forward to the stage 2 writeups on the regular version of the atomic irons!

Cleveland

3 hours ago, ole gray said:

Hey I'm not *quite* at old coot status yet at the ripe young age of 43, but with my schedule I need all the help I can get when I'm able to get out on the course. There's something about hybrid-type irons that seems to just get into my head, but I have no problem with irons that have some junk in the trunk that help promote high ballflight. Thanks for the writeup on the Max version of these irons!

7 hours ago, ole gray said:

Honestly, before I got name as a tester, I was looking at the Atomics and the Atomic Max and if I had dropped my hard earned cash on it, I probably would have went with the max.  Im enjoying the regular Atomics but you can never go wrong with more forgivness and thats certainly something that Maxs have in their corner.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

Honestly, before I got name as a tester, I was looking at the Atomics and the Atomic Max and if I had dropped my hard earned cash on it, I probably would have went with the max.  Im enjoying the regular Atomics but you can never go wrong with more forgivness and thats certainly something that Maxs have in their corner.

The Max irons are so much fun to game and the forgiveness is second to none.

Cleveland

Hi Spies,

Stage 1 is up and running. looking forward to hearing from you and fielding any questions.

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

8 hours ago, BigtazzGolf said:

Hi Spies,

Stage 1 is up and running. looking forward to hearing from you and fielding any questions.

It's funny you mention the Speedblades, as they are one of my favorite irons (I've owned 2 sets in the past) and I've been tossing around the idea of picking them up again, but in graphite. I'll definitely be interested to see what your comparison thoughts are here!

Coming from a more "bladed iron", there is definitely an adjustment period. I am struggling out of the deeper rough with these clubs as the thick grass tends to wrap around the area where the shaft meets the club face.  I need to keep it in the fairway more but as an "old school" player,  I am not fully buying into the technology of these clubs.  Are they easier to hit? not sure. They get the ball up in the air, that's for sure and maybe that's enough. The jacked up lofts? who cares if my club says # 5 or # 7 on it....

as I am hitting these more and more, I am getting into the groove with them, but is it the technology that is helping or just a swing adjustment that I am not recognizing?  Stay tuned because i have two rounds coming up this week.

Any questions??? 

Golf is cool

Just a real quick preview of what the low irons sound like around the green at slow swing speeds. Hitting it flush, hitting it low on the face...can u hear the sound changes? ....more to come.

P.S. Ignore the white ankles....no tan man

Edited by Tsecor

Golf is cool

They have big butts!   Big butts means the weight is moved down under for maximum forgiveness and for us hackers that's a big deal. Big butts are a good thing.  I've included a toe view where you can see the offset which helps us hit those high soft shots.  Did I say they feel softer than a little duck's butt!  These irons are smoother than slugging down a nice cold glass of prune juice for your nightcap.  You ask are they forgiving?  Take a look at the next pic and drool over that cupface smile and those grooves are no doubt groovy for those approaches over obstacles.   

These are GOOD looking irons folks!    They work exceptionally well for this ole coot and I see no reason not to game these for a lonnnnnnnng time.  My version came with the True Temper XP 85 Steel Shafts which are right up my alley as they promote a high ball flight and the trajectory is beautiful.  The graphite version comes with the UST Recoil ES 760 Graphite Shafts.

Great write up. I always appreciate your perspective. I have a young man new to the game that doesn't have much time to commit to practice and I'm thinking the "big butts" might be helpful haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

6 hours ago, golfertrb said:

Great write up. I always appreciate your perspective. I have a young man new to the game that doesn't have much time to commit to practice and I'm thinking the "big butts" might be helpful haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank ya cuz!  Yea I'm thinking those big butts will make your son happy. 😉

Cleveland

Here you can see the comparison to the vokey wedge. Looks very good next to the leading wedge in the business. The only minor complaint on the Atomic from a design standpoint is the inconsistent finish across the club face from heel to toe. The Vokey is mainly satin whereas the Atomic has a partial satin toe, polished heel / shaft area and a very pronounced border at the top of the club.  I just think the Vokey design is smoother. No sun glare.

vokey vs Atomic2.jpg

Edited by Tsecor

Golf is cool

This is a sleeper good review thread - I’m following it closely - all for stuff that is affordable and makes the game easier.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD