Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Tommy Armour Atomic Irons

Golfspy_CG2

8 hours ago, Tsecor said:

Here is a shot of the Atomics in the bag. They look good.

clubbag.jpg

They really are lookers! 😍   I had one of the old coots at my club ask me what kind of clubs are those?  I replied, "they're the kind that's gonna whup yo arse today!" 😁

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Great looking stage 1's guys, just catching up on this thread. @sirchunksalot and @Tsecor - liking the play by play commentary, and the couple videos.  Keep em coming.  Also @ole gray - glad the Atomic Max irons are doing their job for you! 

Looking forward to the further commentary after a few more rounds, especially further discussion around any specific performance metrics (distance, shot dispersion, launch angles, etc.) and of course any improvements you guys see in scoring.

-Tommy Armour Golf Team

4 minutes ago, TommyArmourGolf said:

Great looking stage 1's guys, just catching up on this thread. @sirchunksalot and @Tsecor - liking the play by play commentary, and the couple videos.  Keep em coming.  Also @ole gray - glad the Atomic Max irons are doing their job for you! 

Looking forward to the further commentary after a few more rounds, especially further discussion around any specific performance metrics (distance, shot dispersion, launch angles, etc.) and of course any improvements you guys see in scoring.

-Tommy Armour Golf Team

I think it's really classy & cool that you guys are on here checking out the reviews.  Appreciate ya!

Cleveland

This is a sleeper good review thread - I’m following it closely - all for stuff that is affordable and makes the game easier.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
Great looking stage 1's guys, just catching up on this thread. [mention=80128]sirchunksalot[/mention] and [mention=87514]Tsecor[/mention] - liking the play by play commentary, and the couple videos.  Keep em coming.  Also [mention=67397]ole gray[/mention] - glad the Atomic Max irons are doing their job for you! 
-Tommy Armour Golf Team

This is a sleeper good review thread - I’m following it closely - all for stuff that is affordable and makes the game easier.

Thanks@revkev! I think you hit the nail on the head with the term "sleeper". I personally think a lot of people would pass these irons up due to the stigma of being a "house brand", when they really should give them a serious look, especially for people who are looking for more distance, forgiveness, or for just having fun in the golf course.

When doing the initial research on the Atomics, one of the things that impressed me was the quality of the construction. Whether it's the DAT55 titanium or how they braze the titanium to the steel, these are things that not a lot of other manufacturer's do. I know Tour Edge brazes their metal woods, and some JDM clubs also utilize the technique. Again, there is a great article on the homepage here at MyGolfSpy that can explain this better.

Great looking stage 1's guys, just catching up on this thread. [mention=80128]sirchunksalot[/mention] and [mention=87514]Tsecor[/mention] - liking the play by play commentary, and the couple videos.  Keep em coming.  Also [mention=67397]ole gray[/mention] - glad the Atomic Max irons are doing their job for you! 
-Tommy Armour Golf Team

Thank you for the kind words and for following along with us.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I swung by DSG while making a Target run this morning and took a few minutes to look at both Atomic lines. I didn't hit either while trying to get this tennis elbow to go away. The Max most definitely has a LOT of junk in the trunk, probably more so than I'd like given my love/hate (mostly hate) relationship with hybrids and hybrid-like irons.

The Atomic line, however, looked really nice at setup. The forged face & overall look reminds me of the Cleveland MT irons from a few years back, and that's a good thing. DSG doesn't list them as coming in graphite on their site, but they did have a demo 7i with a Recoil so that makes me think they're available somehow. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

Some Stage 2 data and info. will be posted in the next week at some point. Hopefully these reviews are somewhat unique and the average player can relate. I watch a ton of You tube videos and its very hard to relate to the guys like Crossfield and company because they are great golfers and not truly average. As much as id like to relate to these utubers, its just not that easy. 

I often wonder if fitting truly helps the golfer in terms of scoring......I understand it may help launch characteristics and maybe length, but scoring is where its at. who cares if you gain 10 yards if you cant score any better.  Hopefully these reviews relate to a few people along the way.

if you want to see a certain test, or scenario, let us know!!!

Golf is cool

On ‎8‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 3:57 PM, TommyArmourGolf said:

-Tommy Armour Golf Team

Thank you for allowing us to review these irons. The more I play with them the easier they are to hit. The price point is right, that's for sure.  Hopefully these are a home run line for you guys. 

Golf is cool

Day 1 of our match play tournament and these irons are surprising me.
My distances are all steady once I get comfortable. So far I'm loving the 7 thru A wedge. The control I've got with these irons is something I'm not used to on a regular basis.
The 4-6 irons are still in a courtin phase with me.
The grips I swapped with are doing well also for a not big name grip.
Side note. Last week's round. I birdied the par 4, 2nd hole from 103 yds with the A wedge
Tomorrow we'll be playing the second half of the tournament at one of my favorite courses. Hopefully the rain doesn't hurt us.
Keep ya posted on how the courtin goes 🥰🤞

Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

Thank you for allowing us to review these irons. The more I play with them the easier they are to hit. The price point is right, that's for sure.  Hopefully these are a home run line for you guys. 

Agree 100%

Tazz
         Grip n Rip it

Chicks dig the LONG ball

In my :callaway-small: staff bag

:cobra-small: King F7+ Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro White 60 - Graphite Tour X-Stiff

:755178188_TourEdge:  CBX 13.5 3 Wood

:1332069271_TommyArmour:  Atomic Irons 4-AW (reviewing)

:cleveland-small: CG16 Satin 52*

:cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 56* and 60*

Sentio Sierra 101-M Putter

Proud tester of the Tommy Armour ATOMIC Irons 

My wife joined me for today's round, and we had a blast! 20190824_142512-01.jpeg
I had her drive the cart and showed her how to use the rangefinder so she could help with yardages. She also took some time to take some pictures, as she's an artist and saw some places she could use as reference for backgrounds.20190824_135158-01.jpeg
Since the course was not too busy, I asked her to come up to the green and gave her an impromptu lesson on putting. Her aim was good, but her distance control was a bit off.20190824_151949-01.jpeg
I tied a personal best, shooting an 88. I apologize to anyone who saw on Twitter I shot an 89, going back through the round I saw a drive on 15 that said it went 42 yards and a lob wedge that traveled 192. Arccos picked up me searching for golf balls while we were waiting for a foursome to finish the hole. Screenshot_20190824-202208-01.jpeg
Today was the best ball striking round I've had with the Atomics since I've been gaming them. With the exception of a couple of draws I hit into trees on a couple of par 3's, these irons were point and shoot. I'm especially impressed with the shorter irons, as I hit a couple of shots with the AW that were dead on the flag. I hit shots on 14 and 15 that I thought had a chance to go in. The main thing that hurt my scoring today was back-to-back drives on the last two holes that went OB and cozy me some strokes, but the Atomics were dead on.

My wife joined me for today's round, and we had a blast! 20190824_142512-01.jpeg.2a1da1124e146fb10eb6fa3e516ddb0f.jpeg
I had her drive the cart and showed her how to use the rangefinder so she could help with yardages. She also took some time to take some pictures, as she's an artist and saw some places she could use as reference for backgrounds.20190824_135158-01.jpeg.c19b6f77107021d55e9bb0a90a02cedd.jpeg
Since the course was not too busy, I asked her to come up to the green and gave her an impromptu lesson on putting. Her aim was good, but her distance control was a bit off.20190824_151949-01.jpeg.2489834f0d7f3c8c0d4a6a4a35bff304.jpeg
I tied a personal best, shooting an 88. I apologize to anyone who saw on Twitter I shot an 89, going back through the round I saw a drive on 15 that said it went 42 yards and a lob wedge that traveled 192. Arccos picked up me searching for golf balls while we were waiting for a foursome to finish the hole. Screenshot_20190824-202208-01.jpeg.cce05b17f644a72b42afd38a5424ce02.jpeg
Today was the best ball striking round I've had with the Atomics since I've been gaming them. With the exception of a couple of draws I hit into trees on a couple of par 3's, these irons were point and shoot. I'm especially impressed with the shorter irons, as I hit a couple of shots with the AW that were dead on the flag. I hit shots on 14 and 15 that I thought had a chance to go in. The main thing that hurt my scoring today was back-to-back drives on the last two holes that went OB and cozy me some strokes, but the Atomics were dead on.

Glad you and ya wife had a fun day!

Man I love that “A” wedge! I can’t believe it’s me throwing darts at the pin

Cleveland

Glad you and ya wife had a fun day!

Man I love that “A” wedge! I can’t believe it’s me throwing darts at the pin

Thank you! I've taken her to the course once before, about six years ago, the one thing she told me was the last time she didn't remember me hitting approaches good into the green. Didn't have the heart to tell her it's the clubs.

23 hours ago, BigtazzGolf said:

Day 1 of our match play tournament and these irons are surprising me.
My distances are all steady once I get comfortable. So far I'm loving the 7 thru A wedge. The control I've got with these irons is something I'm not used to on a regular basis.
The 4-6 irons are still in a courtin phase with me.
The grips I swapped with are doing well also for a not big name grip.
Side note. Last week's round. I birdied the par 4, 2nd hole from 103 yds with the A wedge emoji106.png
Tomorrow we'll be playing the second half of the tournament at one of my favorite courses. Hopefully the rain doesn't hurt us.
Keep ya posted on how the courtin goes 🥰emoji106.pngemoji107.png🤞

good job. 

Golf is cool

I took the Atomics to the range today in order to get some work in with the long irons. The short irons are performing excellently for me, but there's some disconnect between my swing and the long irons. I want to be able to use the 4 and 5 off the tee, so I decided to set up a workstation to work on ball positioning. 20190825_172910-02.jpeg
A little bit front of center and I started hitting some pretty good shots.

I am a slight bit toward the toe, but with the forgiveness of these ironsi was still seeing nice flight and great forgiveness.
As an extra bonus for going to the range, I found some Bridgestone Tour B X balls on sale for $34.99 and had to buy a dozen.

I took the Atomics to the range today in order to get some work in with the long irons. The short irons are performing excellently for me, but there's some disconnect between my swing and the long irons. I want to be able to use the 4 and 5 off the tee, so I decided to set up a workstation to work on ball positioning. 20190825_172910-02.jpeg.c772a2f68d0cd8848a226bd73f0054fe.jpeg
A little bit front of center and I started hitting some pretty good shots.

[/url]
I am a slight bit toward the toe, but with the forgiveness of these ironsi was still seeing nice flight and great forgiveness.
As an extra bonus for going to the range, I found some Bridgestone Tour B X balls on sale for $34.99 and had to buy a dozen.

Sent from my SM-G955U using
MyGolfSpy mobile app

Are you trying to hit different shots with these or are they more just point and shoot? How is the turf interaction? Is there anything you aren't liking rn?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

IMO the customization will not be a problem at this price point. The type of golfer these are geared towards may not require precise fitting because as a golfer becomes better at his/her craft, the original fitting becomes somewhat null and void.  These are perfect for a SGI /GI player looking to bag a nice looking set of clubs that perform just as good as some of the higher priced irons on the market.

Golf is cool

I am 5 rounds in with these and what ive found is, I cannot hit any sort of fade. I am NOT a fade player at all but now how to do it.....draws on the other hand are easy.....my stage 2 is lengthy and hopefully not boring.....hopefully the videos i post are somewhat decent. I hate seeing myself on camera #imfat   lol

Golf is cool

I am 5 rounds in with these and what ive found is, I cannot hit any sort of fade. I am NOT a fade player at all but now how to do it.....draws on the other hand are easy.....my stage 2 is lengthy and hopefully not boring.....hopefully the videos i post are somewhat decent. I hate seeing myself on camera #imfat   lol
I can feel you on the hatred of seeing one's self on camera, #imfattoo. I really hate hearing myself, too.

5 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I can feel you on the hatred of seeing one's self on camera, #imfattoo. I really hate hearing myself, too.

The funny thing is, i never even look at that stuff with other people nor do i care, but when i see myself its the very first thing i notice.....I say to myself..."do i really look that bad?"!!..lol....its horrible

Golf is cool

Nice stage 2 so far @Tsecor

We appreciate the attention to detail for the cosmetics. On the comment regarding the polish on the toe around the face, this was in part a conscious decision to make sure the titanium cup face has some visual distinction (this is where it is brazed to the steel, and across the sole). There is always discussion on whether to make something stick out or not to show off a feature, no matter the club!

For the bump and runs, these shots also took me some time to adjust to with the ti face, but they are now a pretty reliable shot for me. Hope the same goes for you.

Also nice "driverless" par 5, and looking forward to the videos.

-Tommy Armour Golf

@Tsecor  awesome job on the stage 2!  Looking forward to seeing the photos/video.  Do you think you will blend your CBs into the long irons of this set?

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

1 hour ago, TommyArmourGolf said:

We appreciate the attention to detail for the cosmetics. On the comment regarding the polish on the toe around the face, this was in part a conscious decision to make sure the titanium cup face has some visual distinction (this is where it is brazed to the steel, and across the sole). There is always discussion on whether to make something stick out or not to show off a feature, no matter the club!

For the bump and runs, these shots also took me some time to adjust to with the ti face, but they are now a pretty reliable shot for me. Hope the same goes for you.

-Tommy Armour Golf

I hear ya. And like I said, when you are playing and focusing on the ball, you do not notice it. Only during the intense scrutiny of a review would I ever notice that distinction. Plus its pretty. Its done very well. 

for the bump and runs, its a hot club. and ill be the first to admit, my touch isn't perfect. Its almost like I cant control the hot face around the green and I need a more "muted" club to control my distances. Thanks for the response. I appreciate the knowledge and feedback

Golf is cool

1 hour ago, JohnSmalls said:

@Tsecor  awesome job on the stage 2!  Looking forward to seeing the photos/video.  Do you think you will blend your CBs into the long irons of this set?

Not a bad idea john. I did that during one round on a few holes, just to see and it was a little strange. The lofts were so far off, it was tough. 

Golf is cool

25 minutes ago, Tsecor said:

Not a bad idea john. I did that during one round on a few holes, just to see and it was a little strange. The lofts were so far off, it was tough. 

I would think that it would be really difficult to make a combo set with these clubs.  The lofts are so jacked compared to player's irons with traditional lofts that I dont know how you would get them to flow together.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

43 minutes ago, ZenGolfer said:

I would think that it would be really difficult to make a combo set with these clubs.  The lofts are so jacked compared to player's irons with traditional lofts that I dont know how you would get them to flow together.

It's very doable. I think you can close the gaps pretty easily. Obviously the industry is moving in this direction and you don't have to use traditional lofts in the 8-w. you just don't have to have all the tech built in. 

Golf is cool

3 hours ago, TommyArmourGolf said:

-Tommy Armour Golf

videos and pics uploaded. score provided and conclusion posted. Let me know if you would like anything else. Thanks again for allowing me to review these stix. It was a pleasure

Golf is cool

Tsecor - good job. Really enjoyed your Stage 2 - very straightforward and thorough - well done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

7 hours ago, golfertrb said:

Tsecor - good job. Really enjoyed your Stage 2 - very straightforward and thorough - well done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thank you. Very long read for most I'm sure, but i tried to hit all aspects of feelings it generated along the way. Appreciate the feedback

Golf is cool