TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Tommy Armour Atomic Irons

Golfspy_CG2

Pretty good.  Im still struggling to get the feel for my distances with these irons but they are very long and forgiving.  Im actually thinking about trying a more high-spin ball because I feel like these clubs might benefit from something that spins a bit more.  My normal, el-cheapo, low-spin balls just seem to go and go and go with these irons, which makes it difficult to get the ball to stop on the greens.
From my personal experience, I think it might help. I have hit both the Srixon Z Star XV on the higher price side, and the Top Flite Gamer Tour urethane balls and seem to get pretty good consistency in distances with both.
That gapping will just get better as time goes by but it's looking good now
Thank you! It's really helping my game having the absolute confidence in my yardages and knowing I can hit them. I've had a few instances where the direction was off ( the perils of being a fairly high handicap), but the distances were close.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thank you! It's really helping my game having the absolute confidence in my yardages and knowing I can hit them. I've had a few instances where the direction was off ( the perils of being a fairly high handicap), but the distances were close.

I've got a Vice sampler pack I may try. It's got the Pros, Pro+ and Pro Soft. Any of those should be spinny enough. I think the Drives, Wilson Duos and Titleist Velocity Ige been use maybe just dont spin enough to check up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

1 hour ago, ZenGolfer said:

Pretty good.  Im still struggling to get the feel for my distances with these irons but they are very long and forgiving.  Im actually thinking about trying a more high-spin ball because I feel like these clubs might benefit from something that spins a bit more.  My normal, el-cheapo, low-spin balls just seem to go and go and go with these irons, which makes it difficult to get the ball to stop on the greens.

in some of my postings you will see that I gained 2 club lengths on these. Maybe move to the 8 iron on that hole and give it a go. 

Golf is cool

in some of my postings you will see that I gained 2 club lengths on these. Maybe move to the 8 iron on that hole and give it a go. 
Would that I could but I only carry the 5, 7 and 9. Minimalist. I'm going to try gripping down on it next time.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

2 minutes ago, ZenGolfer said:

Would that I could but I only carry the 5, 7 and 9. Minimalist. I'm going to try gripping down on it next time.

absolutely.  I have moved to the 5Iron off the tee on some short tight par 4's.  I can go 5I, 9I on multiple holes on certain courses.  That's another positive for these clubs

Golf is cool

absolutely.  I have moved to the 5Iron off the tee on some short tight par 4's.  I can go 5I, 9I on multiple holes on certain courses.  That's another positive for these clubs
Yeah, I think for me it was more a matter of a perfect strike, low spin balls and how hot these irons are. I think that I may be asking for precision from balls that maybe cant give me that. I'd like to believe that I can get any ball to check up with height but with the ball speed and low spin that we get from modern clubs, maybe that isn't so much the case anymore.

10 hours ago, ZenGolfer said:

I've got a Vice sampler pack I may try. It's got the Pros, Pro+ and Pro Soft. Any of those should be spinny enough. I think the Drives, Wilson Duos and Titleist Velocity Ige been use maybe just dont spin enough to check up.

IMO, i think with the stronger lofted clubs, you will find it tough to get a ball to check up no matter what brand you use. I agree with everything you said, but i think if you try the prov1x, you might get some good results.  This ball is low spinning off the driver but one of the highest spinning balls with a 7 iron thru wedge.  I used it this summer and its an amazing all around ball.

Golf is cool

35 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I'm about to do something I'll probably regret. Stay tuned and I'll post up later this evening.

giphy.gif

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

One of the things I love about this forum is how the moderators challenge us, as testers, to do things in these reviews to really put the products to the test. I was thinking back over the Cobra Connect Challenge thread and decided to do a four club challenge today. I only played nine holes since it's nearly 100 degrees and really humid. This is something I would never, ever do in a million years of I was just regularly playing, so thanks to both the moderators and CC Challenge competitors for the inspiration.

The clubs:20190913_134040-01.jpeg

I went with the 4, 7, AW, and putter for this round. I figured the 4 iron would be good off the tee, the 7 iron would take care of the mid range shots and the par threes, and the AW for everything else. I had to really think about the par threes, one is playing 130 and the other was playing 160. I figured I would have to ease up on the first one and knew I would have a chip on the second. Also, knowing the roll out with the wedges, I thought the most lofted of the Atomics was probably my best bet.

It all started out so good, I hit the fairway on the first hole. I then bladed the wedge on the second shot and ended up pin high to the right. I then hit a great chip shot to 3 feet and made the putt for par. 20190913_134702-01.jpeg

The second hole I hit the 7 iron 122 and right, chipped up to 6 feet, where I promptly two putted. Then the wheels feel off.

Blocked my drive on the third, which became a theme for the round, hit a tree and was left with a shot off a hard lie that I put into another tree. Hit a knockdown to get back into the fairway, then hit a wedge shot 45 feet past the hole. Needless to say that led to one of two three putts for the day. Screenshot_20190913-180337.jpeg

Hole four was more of the same. Block, knockdown, wedge, wedge, three putt. So much for the good start, I'm now 7 over through 4.

I bogeyed the fifth hole and made par on the sixth after hitting another AW to 4 feet.

The next two holes are the par fives, and were really what I was worried about before the round. I ended up with a double on the seventh after hitting a tree with both my drive and a wedge after pulling a 7 iron. I finished that hole with a double.

On the eighth, I bladed the 4 iron that travelled a whopping 51 yards, blocked the second into a tree (again), hit another 4 iron that went between two trees (miracle). I then hit a 7 iron that landed in the creek and got lucky that the water was down and still had a shot from the creek bed. Hit a hot chip over the green. That left me with a downhill chip that I managed to get to 8 feet and a two putt. Triple.

My drive on the final hole again went right, into a pond. I then hit a good 4 iron 163 to the left of the green, flubbed a chip and had to hit another. My second stopped 10 feet past the hole and I two putted. Triple.

I ended the round hitting 3 fairways, no greens, and had 18 putts. My final score was 52. As bad as I was hitting the ball, I'm actually surprised it was that good. The wedge was my best performer today, leaving me 10 feet or less 5 times. I didn't always convert, but the opportunity was there. There's no denying it's hot on chip shots and you have to be gentle with it. Think hitting a running chip with an 8 iron.

I did find that you can open the face a bit, at least sitting on top of high grass.

It wasn't the best of rounds, but I'm still pleased with how well I played considering how bad my swing was. Did I regret it? No, it was pretty fun.

Great idea @sirchunksalot!  I loved the challenges in CCC3 too!  Unfortunately my golf time has gotten cut in about 1/4 these past few weeks so I’ve had to be a lot more targeted on my testing for the D7s. Hoping to get 36 or 54 on this weekend. It will be the first full rounds of the past month and I can’t wait!  

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Great idea [mention=80128]sirchunksalot[/mention]!  I loved the challenges in CCC3 too!  Unfortunately my golf time has gotten cut in about 1/4 these past few weeks so I’ve had to be a lot more targeted on my testing for the D7s. Hoping to get 36 or 54 on this weekend. It will be the first full rounds of the past month and I can’t wait!  
I hope you enjoy your rounds this weekend! You all have been doing a great job over in the D7 thread and I am looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

44 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

I hope you enjoy your rounds this weekend! You all have been doing a great job over in the D7 thread and I am looking forward to hearing how it goes for you.

Really appreciate it the kind words. I’m hoping to get some great data this weekend. You guys set a pretty high standard in this thread so I’m hoping I can do you justice in the D7 review. Keep up the great work! 

35 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

@JohnSmallssorry, I forgot to ask, how's the Arccos and F9 driver working for you? I know you said you'll do a review for the driver later, but how are your initial impressions?

Just wrote a marathon but don’t want to threadjack, so I’ll post it in the CCC3 thread and tag you

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

4 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

One of the things I love about this forum is how the moderators challenge us, as testers, to do things in these reviews to really put the products to the test. I was thinking back over the Cobra Connect Challenge thread and decided to do a four club challenge today. I only played nine holes since it's nearly 100 degrees and really humid. This is something I would never, ever do in a million years of I was just regularly playing, so thanks to both the moderators and CC Challenge competitors for the inspiration.

I went with the 4, 7, AW, and putter for this round. I figured the 4 iron would be good off the tee, the 7 iron would take care of the mid range shots and the par threes, and the AW for everything else. I had to really think about the par threes, one is playing 130 and the other was playing 160. I figured I would have to ease up on the first one and knew I would have a chip on the second. Also, knowing the roll out with the wedges, I thought the most lofted of the Atomics was probably my best bet.

It all started out so good, I hit the fairway on the first hole. I then bladed the wedge on the second shot and ended up pin high to the right. I then hit a great chip shot to 3 feet and made the putt for par. 20190913_134702-01.jpeg

The second hole I hit the 7 iron 122 and right, chipped up to 6 feet, where I promptly two putted. Then the wheels feel off.

Blocked my drive on the third, which became a theme for the round, hit a tree and was left with a shot off a hard lie that I put into another tree. Hit a knockdown to get back into the fairway, then hit a wedge shot 45 feet past the hole. Needless to say that led to one of two three putts for the day. Screenshot_20190913-180337.jpeg

Hole four was more of the same. Block, knockdown, wedge, wedge, three putt. So much for the good start, I'm now 7 over through 4.

I bogeyed the fifth hole and made par on the sixth after hitting another AW to 4 feet.

The next two holes are the par fives, and were really what I was worried about before the round. I ended up with a double on the seventh after hitting a tree with both my drive and a wedge after pulling a 7 iron. I finished that hole with a double.

On the eighth, I bladed the 4 iron that travelled a whopping 51 yards, blocked the second into a tree (again), hit another 4 iron that went between two trees (miracle). I then hit a 7 iron that landed in the creek and got lucky that the water was down and still had a shot from the creek bed. Hit a hot chip over the green. That left me with a downhill chip that I managed to get to 8 feet and a two putt. Triple.

My drive on the final hole again went right, into a pond. I then hit a good 4 iron 163 to the left of the green, flubbed a chip and had to hit another. My second stopped 10 feet past the hole and I two putted. Triple.

I ended the round hitting 3 fairways, no greens, and had 18 putts. My final score was 52. As bad as I was hitting the ball, I'm actually surprised it was that good. The wedge was my best performer today, leaving me 10 feet or less 5 times. I didn't always convert, but the opportunity was there. There's no denying it's hot on chip shots and you have to be gentle with it. Think hitting a running chip with an 8 iron.

I did find that you can open the face a bit, at least sitting on top of high grass.

It wasn't the best of rounds, but I'm still pleased with how well I played considering how bad my swing was. Did I regret it? No, it was pretty fun.

Minimalist golf!!! see, who needs full sets any longer? with the advancements in technology, you only need 4 clubs now!!  the pros have been saying for years, you cant make a course too long and for us amateurs, do we really need 14 clubs and wedge sets with 4 different wedges?  great post. keep it going

Golf is cool

On 9/12/2019 at 7:28 AM, Tsecor said:

IMO, i think with the stronger lofted clubs, you will find it tough to get a ball to check up no matter what brand you use. I agree with everything you said, but i think if you try the prov1x, you might get some good results.  This ball is low spinning off the driver but one of the highest spinning balls with a 7 iron thru wedge.  I used it this summer and its an amazing all around ball.

Ive got a couple Vice Pro+, which is similar to the Pro V1x.  Im going to try those today and see how they do.

13 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

I only play with a 5, 7 and 9 and honestly dont miss the rest of the iron set.  The 5-iron hits it 180, 7-iron hits it 160 and the 9-iron hits it 130.  The only real problem I have with this setup is shots that are between 120 and 90 yards because the only wedge I carry is a 54 degree.  Im thinking about trying opening up the face on the 9-iron and aiming a little left on those shots.

Edited by ZenGolfer

Ive got a couple Vice Pro+, which is similar to the Pro V1x.  Im going to try those today and see how they do.

Just keep in mind the vice pros are typically built on old “technology”. Some say the balls are cheap because the tech is 4-5 yrs old.  Probably not enough for us to really notice but i was shocked at how good the prov1x was. Probably the ball i noticed the most.  Im not a high spin wedge player where i draw the ball back like uts on a fishing line but these do the trick for me. They check up nicely in all situations

Golf is cool

I only play with a 5, 7 and 9 and honestly dont miss the rest of the iron set.  The 5-iron hits it 180, 7-iron hits it 160 and the 9-iron hits it 130.  The only real problem I have with this setup is shots that are between 120 and 90 yards because the only wedge I carry is a 54 degree.  Im thinking about trying opening up the face on the 9-iron and aiming a little left on those shots.

Change that wedge out to a 50.  Or even a 46 to close the gap.  U can still use a 50 out of the bunker if needed

Golf is cool

Just keep in mind the vice pros are typically built on old “technology”. Some say the balls are cheap because the tech is 4-5 yrs old.  Probably not enough for us to really notice but i was shocked at how good the prov1x was. Probably the ball i noticed the most.  Im not a high spin wedge player where i draw the ball back like uts on a fishing line but these do the trick for me. They check up nicely in all situations
I'm probably not good enough to notice the difference anyways. Lol. IMO, the balls are cheaper because Vice has so much less overhead than Titleist does. Just think how much Titleist spends on marketing and tour presence.

Change that wedge out to a 50.  Or even a 46 to close the gap.  U can still use a 50 out of the bunker if needed
I may try the AW from the Atomic set today and see how that works. My only concern with that would be having the ability to hit little greenside shots. With the 54, I can open or close the face to adjust the loft. I'm not sure that I could open the face enough with the AW to hit a flop. It's worth a shot though and it's a question of which has more utility: a reliable 100 yard shot or a greenside flop/chunk shot.

I was thinking recently about how I feel about these irons overall. I do like them for the most part. They're forgiving, easy to hit and long.
I dont love them though. They lack control and a accuracy. I feel like I can get the ball out there but never know quite where its going to go. If I were hitting to an island green, I wouldn't feel confident at all.
Putting the old DCI 981s in the bag for a couple rounds really opened my eyes to think and how much I dislike left jacking.
I'm now thinking about a half set of Cobra CB/MBs. I love my DCIs but the grooves aren't legal and the Cobras have similar specs.
I'm not giving up on the TAs quite yet but if they were a woman, I'd probably be thinking of a nice way to tell her, "I'm just not that into you."

On 9/12/2019 at 7:28 AM, Tsecor said:

This!!  I using  the VX with the G700’s a low spin club according to some reviews.   But i gentslly can stop the 7 within 2 or 3 feet from the pitch mark and habe spun the 9 and wedge back. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

You're definitely right about having to aim left, the shots I videoed were all aimed at the flag and went right with the open face. I thought about trying a flop, but I was honestly scared to, at least on the practice green. I might try it one day on the range where I don't have to worry about skulling into the next county.

12 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

You're definitely right about having to aim left, the shots I videoed were all aimed at the flag and went right with the open face. I thought about trying a flop, but I was honestly scared to, at least on the practice green. I might try it one day on the range where I don't have to worry about skulling into the next county.

When you hit with an open face, you have to aim the face where you want the ball to go, aim your body to the left and make sure that you swing along your foot line instead of aiming to the target.  Its something that takes practice but eventually you will learn to trust it.

Ok, so I played 9 holes yesterday with a mixture of Vice Pros and Pro+ and it made a big difference.  I found that even on shots where I would either hit it a little thin or would just hit it a bit too hard, the spin would save me.

I found that even on short shots around the green, the ball would take 1 hop and stop dead.  This was true especially with the Pro+.  Those things spin like crazy.

It was so much more confidence inspiring to be able to just hit to a certain yardage and have the ball stop within a few feet of the pitch mark.

IMO, with these newer, hotter faced, stronger lofted irons, you almost need to use a urethane covered ball just to get the darned thing to stop.  Otherwise, you have to aim for the front of the green and hope that the ball stops but a lot of holes either dont give you that option (bunkers, water or elevated greens that prevent you from playing a running shot) or it punished you by making it almost impossible to get the ball to stop near the flag because you then have to consider slope and speed of the green.

Just playing these spinnier balls probably saved me 8 strokes off what my score normally is on this course.

I played in a scramble yesterday at a very nice country club in Bedford NY.  Greens were US OPEN fast and the fairways were perfect. The 2nd cut of rough was ankle deep as well. Even the first cut of rough was enough to see your ball set down a bit.

So, i brought two sets of clubs with me and experimented a bit.  As ive posted over and over again, the Atomics are hot and fly a country mile. BUT hitting these out of the rough is very very difficult. I had mixed results yesterday. Was great off the tee with these irons and off the middle of the fairway, but once you are in any "junk" its hard FOR ME (Maybe not for others), to get any serious results with the fat soles. My CB's were much more effective cutting through the rough.   I will say, on the long par 3's, I was able to hit the 5I 210 yards and stop the ball within 10 feet. These irons fly high and it helps stop the ball. while my partners were hitting 3 woods into the greens, I was puling a 5I and they were amazed.

I have confirmed over and over again, V2 should be a blended set to appeal to a wider range of players.  I have hit close to 1500 balls and played 10 rounds with these, so my earlier conclusions still remain.  A better ball striker may have a different take on this, but for me, i struggle out of any type of rough.  The vokey wedge I use saved me a lot of strokes over the Atomic wedges from greenside rough and any rough up to ~ 80 yards out.   From the fairway, I'm hitting the Atomic wedges 135 -145 and stopping them no problem.

These long irons can compete with the TM 790's or the Titleist U series. I think there is an opportunity to jump into this niche market and make an impact going up against the "big boys"

Golf is cool

@Tsecor If you have issues hitting them out of the rough due to the sole design, I think that's a concern about the clubs themselves. The golfers these clubs are aimed at are probably going to find themselves in the junk far more often than someone who plays AP2s. Sounds like the next version of these (if there is one) could use some sole redesign to help out on that front. 

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

24 minutes ago, russtopherb said:

@Tsecor If you have issues hitting them out of the rough due to the sole design, I think that's a concern about the clubs themselves. The golfers these clubs are aimed at are probably going to find themselves in the junk far more often than someone who plays AP2s. Sounds like the next version of these (if there is one) could use some sole redesign to help out on that front. 

I am not a designer, so I am not sure about that, but i have documented my concerns about the size of the soles in certain situations. From the fairway, not one issue. FOR ME, from the rough, i cannot get it through the thick stuff with any efficiency.  I am just a guy who has played for years and have experience as to what works for me only.....and i need a club that can cut through the rough with a thin sole.  That was my only concern with these. The rest is a no brainer for anyone looking for a hot club that bombs down the fairway or is great off the tee in place of a hybrid. The price is so great on these, i am just nitpicking at an area of my game that surely needs to be improved. I put it on me as a guy who needs improvement as a ball striker, not the club.  I'm just saying these would work better for me if they were a blended set.

Golf is cool