Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Tommy Armour Atomic Irons

Great reviews guys, they seem like some damn good irons for the money. 
Thank you! Honestly, for the price I don't think you'll find a better deal for a brand new set of irons.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 2

5 hours ago, FromRightToLeft said:

Great reviews guys, they seem like some damn good irons for the money. 

for $399, you get a great set of hot faced clubs and why would you spend another $800 on a comparable set from another manufacturer? Take that $800 and take a trip or use it to buy whatever else you may need for golf.

• Like 3

I apologize for a lack of updates this week, I've had a sick dog that got into some xylitol and between vet visits and work, I was only able to get out for nine holes last weekend. She's doing well, but the vet visit traumatized her.20190915_173358-01.jpeg

I'm currently working to finish my stage 2 review, the editing to keep it around 2000 words is a lot of work. I remember in school a 500 word paper was a chore, but when talking golf I want to just keep rambling. It reminds me of a book signing I went to for the release of a Patrick Rothfuss book where he talked about obsessing over going back into his works and finding uses of the word "that" and removing them where he could. I'm planning on having it up by tomorrow night, so stay tuned.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

• Like 3

Finally got a chance to catch up on this thread. Looks like they hold up their end of the distance bargain.

@sirchunksalot, I agree a custom shaft option could be a great move. From what I can tell, the XP 85 is a "made for" shaft. Did anyone find the specs on it? I wonder what another high launch shaft with a slightly heavier weight would do for me. 

Of all of the more affordable iron sets out there, this one is gorgeous in my opinion. I could totally see these in my bag.

• Like 3

Finally got a chance to catch up on this thread. Looks like they hold up their end of the distance bargain.
[mention=80128]sirchunksalot[/mention], I agree a custom shaft option could be a great move. From what I can tell, the XP 85 is a "made for" shaft. Did anyone find the specs on it? I wonder what another high launch shaft with a slightly heavier weight would do for me. 
Of all of the more affordable iron sets out there, this one is gorgeous in my opinion. I could totally see these in my bag.
Here's what I could find on the XP 85 shaft. Granted it's not the true spec sheet, but I couldn't find it on the True Temper website so I pulled the information from Golf Galaxy. Screenshot_20190921-174727_Firefox.jpeg
Really, it's a great shaft and works well for my swing, but I know that just one shaft option can be a problem for us here at MyGolfSpy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

Here's what I could find on the XP 85 shaft. Granted it's not the true spec sheet, but I couldn't find it on the True Temper website so I pulled the information from Golf Galaxy. Screenshot_20190921-174727_Firefox.jpeg
Really, it's a great shaft and works well for my swing, but I know that just one shaft option can be a problem for us here at MyGolfSpy.

Interesting that it's considered medium spin. I would have thought it would be more in the vein of the KBS Tour 90s, which (I'm pretty sure) are classified as high launch/high spin.

Thanks for the info. I think these clubs are definitely targeted at more beginning golfers. That's not to say better players can't play them, but, as you said, a sole shaft choice is a tough sell here on MGS . 😀

• Like 2

the XP 85 shaft is nice and light but very stable. Its a great shaft with this set

• Like 3

16 hours ago, sirchunksalot said:

My stage 2 is live!

Great Stage 2! Excellent job. I agree with you on the shaft point that you made, I did see an Atomic 7i in the fitting bag at DSG with a Recoil in it, so you'd think there would be graphite shafts in these irons someplace. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

Great Stage 2! Excellent job. I agree with you on the shaft point that you made, I did see an Atomic 7i in the fitting bag at DSG with a Recoil in it, so you'd think there would be graphite shafts in these irons someplace. 

They had graphite shafts as an option at our local Dicks so there definitely is an option available. 

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 3:00 PM, sirchunksalot said:

Tommy Armour Atomic Irons
Official Forum Member Review
By sirchunksalot
9/21/19
I would like to thank each and every one of you who have either read or participated in our review of the Tommy Armour Atomic Irons. I would also like to welcome you all back as we all talk about our experiences with these clubs.

Great job and I enjoyed following along during your testing! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, russtopherb said:

2 hours ago, ole gray said:

Great job and I enjoyed following along during your testing! 

I appreciate the kind words @ole gray and @russtopherb. Y'all have me wondering now if the graphite shaft might be an option in store only. Our local DSG only had one Atomic in the fitting boxes, but did have three of the Max heads with two steel and one graphite shaft. I didn't think to ask about whether or not the graphite was an option, I just went by what I've seen you can order online. 

• Like 2

I appreciate the kind words [mention=67397]ole gray[/mention] and [mention=78359]russtopherb[/mention]. Y'all have me wondering now if the graphite shaft might be an option in store only. Our local DSG only had one Atomic in the fitting boxes, but did have three of the Max heads with two steel and one graphite shaft. I didn't think to ask about whether or not the graphite was an option, I just went by what I've seen you can order online. 

Our store had one set of the graphite on the wall

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 3:00 PM, sirchunksalot said:

By sirchunksalot
9/21/19
I would like to thank each and every one of you who have either read or participated in our review of the Tommy Armour Atomic Irons. I would also like to welcome you all back as we all talk about our experiences with these clubs.
Since the day that the long, brown box showed up at my door, I have been able to play 14 rounds and make 5 trips to the driving range. Thank you to the guys over at the Lynx review for inspiring me to make one of those rounds an iron only experience, I’m looking at you @blackngold_blood. I appreciate you taking the risk and inspiring me to do the same.  
Tommy Armour was once a major player in the golf industry, especially with their 845 irons and are looking to make a comeback. Have they been able to accomplish this? Let’s find out.

Looks

To me, this is the most subjective part of the test to really quantify, but I will do my best to let you all know how I think the Atomics look in the bag.  
They really compare in shape nicely to the Cobra F8 irons I have been gaming for the better part of the last year. The one difference I see is that the head of the Atomics stands a little bit taller than the Cobras.  
20190726_125819-01.jpeg.4993c7f2bae4e4592981301a1e2e294d.jpeg
Looking at the long irons, you know these are unapologetically game improvement clubs. They have a thick topline and you can see the back of the club at address. I like this, I feel confident they will launch the ball as easy as a hybrid. I've taken my 3 wood out of play for the duration of this test and instead opted to use the 4 iron for my fairway shots.  
20190917_191703-01.jpeg.9c8c62f0b2e23118936e93fda6681914.jpeg
If I could change anything about the looks of the Atomics it would be to change the back of the wedges to look different from the rest of the set like Cobra did.

20190917_191556-01.jpeg.3567266ae42d8482b7bdb5cc2a9c94c5.jpeg

20190917_191514-01.jpeg.eaffb53a8b44d7a39266874b27679c49.jpeg

The back of the clubs feature black badging with the Atomic name underlined in red and the Tommy Armour signature beneath that. On both sides of that, there are raised dots on the cavity portion that give these clubs a bit of a retro feel. The numbers are featured on the tungsten that is placed in the toe and are really easy to pick out in the bag.

20190726_161243-01.jpeg.16af6fb5c1ae8b5847145989ff2a1e20.jpeg
20190913_134040-01.jpeg.0bca4982347ed030e0523b5481f3c33c.jpeg
I went back and looked at the photos of the irons that were tested in the MyGolfSpy Most Wanted Game Improvement category, and this is where the Atomics underperformed. If I were just the Average Joe looking at irons I would probably pass these up comparing them on looks alone against other similar irons. Mizuno, Cobra, Bridgestone, Ping, Titleist, and Srixon all beat them on looks.  

One of the unique things I like about the Atomics is the duller color of the titanium face. There is no sunlight reflection off these, and that’s a good thing. I can’t handle sunlight, always wear sunglasses outside, and love the lack of the sun bouncing off and hurting my eyes.  
20190726_161210.thumb.jpg.ae9454198384514b996e68c7a51c9423.jpg
I have been told that these are good looking irons by the people I have shown them to, but no one has come up on the course or the range and asked me about them. In other words, they’re a good looking set of irons but not to the point they draw a crowd.

(Looks 7/10)

Sound & Feel
The Atomics definitely have a discernable click to them, especially when you hit the sweet spot and with short shots around the green. The first few times I hit them, it was a little loud and different from the Cobras, but over time it became a reassuring sound of a pure strike. I can see where it might be a turn off for players who are affected by sound, but I have grown accustomed to it.  

The Atomics feel hot! It feels like the face is just cradling the ball momentarily before launching them into the sky.

For GI clubs, I think they do a great job transmitting the feel between a good and bad strike. They’re definitely more harsh when you blade one, but not bad enough to make your hands hate life for your bad shot.  

(Sound & Feel 9/10)

Basic Characteristics

While I don’t believe there is a club that is just point and shoot, the Atomics are the closest I’ve hit. I still miss a lot of greens, but with them my misses are closer. The long irons tend to fade a bit, while the mid irons seem to want to draw. The wedges are definitely the straightest to the point I’ve had a couple of longer shots I thought were going to go in the hole.  

The big feature that Tommy Armour Golf was able to fit into these clubs is the distance. I’ve gained pretty much 10 yards overall. My only discrepancies are with the 7 and 9 irons. If it wasn’t for trees, the 7 iron distance would be better, but it seemed to like to hit them on a couple of par threes… religiously. The 9 iron I just can’t figure out, I’ve actually seen a drop of 7 yards. It might just be that I have not used it as much as some of the others (15 shots). Also, one of my biggest concerns is the fact that they are too tightly gapped toward the top of the bag with only an 8 yard difference between the 5 and 7 irons.  

20190918_200023.thumb.jpg.73a5c3de60f9847f100d4b4ef4c763c6.jpg

Don’t let the strong lofts fool you into thinking that you can’t get them airborne, they hit the ball high. I can even launch the 4 iron into the sky, to the point where it has become more reliable off the turf than my 3 wood.  

I’m not the most consistent ball striker. Remember that click I told you about earlier on good hits? I can tell you I only hear it a few times a round. I have hit the entire face of these clubs (I call it being thorough) and I’ve still seen decent distance and accuracy. It’s not perfect, but neither is my swing. For my skill level, I’m happy with the performance I’m seeing with the Atomics.

For the most part, these clubs start out on the line I intend them to go. I struggled early in the review with a severe over the top swing that you can see in my stage 1 video. I’ll occasionally revert back to it if my concentration falters. This led to a lot of pulls and pull hooks that I probably would have deducted for, if I hadn't noticed it.  
Are these clubs workable? I can see the potential in them to be, but I just can’t do it. I just play the stock shot shape with whatever club I’m hitting and go from there. I have tried in the past to hit fades and draws, and let’s just say it wasn’t pretty.

Basic Characteristics (17/20)

On Course Performance

Now we’re getting down to what really matters, how the Tommy Armour’s did on the course. Looks, sound, feel, and all the little things are important, but performance is king.  

I play more for fun than anything, I’m just not to the point where I feel my game is good enough to compete. Most of the pressure I’ve dealt are the tee shots on a few holes that provide certain challenges.

The first is #1 at Waterville. Most of the time the middle tees are just in front of the blues and it’s a straight shot to the fairway. Lately, the tees have been moved closer and to the right. The problem? The fairway has trees down the right side that are now directly in front of a good shot. I’ve tried to go over them, but haven’t been able to pull it off. Most of my shots have been pulls that still find the fairway, but aren’t getting within range for a short pitch shot.
Screenshot_20190921-151840.thumb.jpg.34212af9b9b4ac334ac94bd99041590f.jpg

The second hole is #5 at Waterville. It’s a straight shot over a pond. I’ve actually navigated it pretty well by only skipping one into the drink during the irons only round. I’ve also hit my longest drive with the 4 iron here that travelled 207 yards.
 Screenshot_20190921-145300.thumb.jpg.8138c804969494ba00acc58150015ae1.jpg
The last one is the 10th at Chatata Valley. It has a narrow fairway with trees bordering the left side and a pond on the right. I HATE this hole, with a passion. If I play this course and have to start on the back, I know I’m in for a bad day. I’ve only played this hole once during this review and ended up in the pond.  
 20190831_111849-01.jpeg.d7e42ad83e98cb84cbf6ecde7514057d.jpeg
I did play one round with only 4 clubs (thanks CCC#3 guys for the inspiration!) and that had my heart skipping. I took only the 4, 7, and AW from the set and my putter. I shot 52 and walked away happy with the results. Looking back, I wish I would have opted for the 5, 7, and PW, but that was just not optimal planning on my part.  

When I started testing my Arccos handicap was 19.6 and have lowered it to 16.2 overall while having an 18.6 handicap with all my rounds with the Cobras excluded. Can’t figure that one out, but Arccos has it’s mysterious ways.  
20190919_213434.thumb.jpg.dfac3871e1342320cf20e7eca07119b0.jpg

20190919_213406.thumb.jpg.f52856f82d21b892aff8122081c9d090.jpg

My first couple of rounds with the Atomics were an emotional roller coaster. I shot 104, 89, 103, 63 (9 holes), and 108. It’s settled down since then and I’m playing some of the most consistent golf of my life. Three of the eight full rounds with the Atomics have been below 90, and three of the six 9 hole rounds have been 45 or better.  

Tommy Armour Golf has definitely changed my impression of them. Being a DSG/Golf Galaxy brand shouldn’t deter some golfers from giving them a try.  

On Course Performance (28/30)

Miscellaneous

The clubs arrived packaged well, each individually wrapped and surrounded by paper. They definitely take care to assure your new clubs arrive looking good.
20190726_121727-01.jpeg.9384187fe70a616fc0bea3db0e60614f.jpeg

The tech they packed into these is just mind blowing. Low CG, tungsten weight, cup face, brazing, and premium quality DAT 55 titanium in an extremely affordable price is a plus in my book.  

I would like to see more shaft selections, even if it’s just a graphite shaft like in the Atomic Max. I know the price ($399) doesn’t scream custom fitting, but the original MSRP of $799 does. Other than that, they are winners.  
 Screenshot_20190921-150848_Chrome.thumb.jpg.72ecdb49ad444d3903185c8f9b47d222.jpg
Miscellaneous (9/10)

Play Them or Trade Them

I’m definitely keeping the Atomics in the bag. After the initial “getting to know you” phase, I have been playing consistent, better golf. The extra distance, accuracy, and forgiveness has helped my scores drop.  

I am going to continue to play some rounds with the Cobras to see if I can replicate the results since I’ve been working on more consistent contact with my irons and they were custom fit. This alone keeps the Atomics from getting a perfect score in this category.  

The price is a steal, the performance is great, and I’m having fun playing the Atomics. My issue is fitting, the shaft/head combo works for me, but could it be better? This has nagged me the entire review.  

I think these irons are worth a look for golfers who are looking for more distance and forgiveness. Did I mention the price? There are irons out there that don’t offer the same benefits that cost twice as much. I would highly recommend anyone looking for a long, forgiving iron set to at least hit these before making a decision.  

Play Them or Trade Them (19/20)

Conclusion

Tommy Armour is back! The Atomic irons are long, forgiving and fun to play. They are packed with features of a premium club with an affordable price tag. They have lowered my scores and made iron play a joy. They’re not at the top of the looks scale, but good cooking beats good looking all day long. I think anyone who bypasses them as being a “house brand” might be missing out.  

Thank you again to MyGolfSpy, Tommy Armour Golf, my fellow testers, and everyone for following along for joining us for the ride. You guys are what makes this the best golf community on the planet!

Final Score (89/100)

great job @sirchunksalot!  I just got back from a weekend trip and read your report. It seems we have a lot of similar takes on what these irons are all about. one thing that stood out is what you said about consistency with the clubs. These seem to work for you in that regard. for me, it was a mixed bag because of the wedges.  But over all the GI aspect works great.   Nice job on everything. I enjoyed reading your posts

• Like 1

great job [mention=80128]sirchunksalot[/mention]!  I just got back from a weekend trip and read your report. It seems we have a lot of similar takes on what these irons are all about. one thing that stood out is what you said about consistency with the clubs. These seem to work for you in that regard. for me, it was a mixed bag because of the wedges.  But over all the GI aspect works great.   Nice job on everything. I enjoyed reading your posts
I appreciate it@Tsecor! It has been a pleasure reading your thoughts on these clubs and you've done an excellent job.

• Like 1

On 8/9/2019 at 3:10 PM, Tsecor said:

Stage Two - The Review - 8/27/19 

Official MGS Forum Review Tommy Armour Atomic Irons by Tim Secor

As stated in Stage 1, the adjustment from a 712 CB to this iron was initially a struggle. I fail to see the game improvement aspect when it comes to score and that is the main issue with over the top marketing and the golf industry as a whole. Sure, these clubs will help you get the ball in the air, but who is your target audience? With the low price point on these irons, maybe the marketing should be geared towards getting NEW golfers into the sport. One of the issues with this great sport is the price. To play and get started with new, or I should say, nice equipment, it can be well over $1000. Nobody wants to be on the course with an unmatched set of clubs from the 70’s. Maybe the industry should look for that type of demographic and change marketing forever. This Iron could lead the way. A good looking, high quality, low cost iron for the beginner to the 15 hdcp. Sounds like we may be on to something. Nobody really markets irons for a new golfer with too much success. Dicks has that far reaching ability to do so.

You guys are doing an awesome job with your reviews!  Well done!!

• Like 2

On 8/10/2019 at 7:00 AM, sirchunksalot said:

By sirchunksalot
9/21/19
Since the day that the long, brown box showed up at my door, I have been able to play 14 rounds and make 5 trips to the driving range. Thank you to the guys over at the Lynx review for inspiring me to make one of those rounds an iron only experience, I’m looking at you @blackngold_blood. I appreciate you taking the risk and inspiring me to do the same.  
Tommy Armour was once a major player in the golf industry, especially with their 845 irons and are looking to make a comeback. Have they been able to accomplish this? Let’s find out.

Looks

To me, this is the most subjective part of the test to really quantify, but I will do my best to let you all know how I think the Atomics look in the bag.  
They really compare in shape nicely to the Cobra F8 irons I have been gaming for the better part of the last year. The one difference I see is that the head of the Atomics stands a little bit taller than the Cobras.  
20190726_125819-01.jpeg.4993c7f2bae4e4592981301a1e2e294d.jpeg
Looking at the long irons, you know these are unapologetically game improvement clubs. They have a thick topline and you can see the back of the club at address. I like this, I feel confident they will launch the ball as easy as a hybrid. I've taken my 3 wood out of play for the duration of this test and instead opted to use the 4 iron for my fairway shots.  
20190917_191703-01.jpeg.9c8c62f0b2e23118936e93fda6681914.jpeg
If I could change anything about the looks of the Atomics it would be to change the back of the wedges to look different from the rest of the set like Cobra did.

20190917_191556-01.jpeg.3567266ae42d8482b7bdb5cc2a9c94c5.jpeg

20190917_191514-01.jpeg.eaffb53a8b44d7a39266874b27679c49.jpeg

The back of the clubs feature black badging with the Atomic name underlined in red and the Tommy Armour signature beneath that. On both sides of that, there are raised dots on the cavity portion that give these clubs a bit of a retro feel. The numbers are featured on the tungsten that is placed in the toe and are really easy to pick out in the bag.

20190726_161243-01.jpeg.16af6fb5c1ae8b5847145989ff2a1e20.jpeg
20190913_134040-01.jpeg.0bca4982347ed030e0523b5481f3c33c.jpeg
I went back and looked at the photos of the irons that were tested in the MyGolfSpy Most Wanted Game Improvement category, and this is where the Atomics underperformed. If I were just the Average Joe looking at irons I would probably pass these up comparing them on looks alone against other similar irons. Mizuno, Cobra, Bridgestone, Ping, Titleist, and Srixon all beat them on looks.  

One of the unique things I like about the Atomics is the duller color of the titanium face. There is no sunlight reflection off these, and that’s a good thing. I can’t handle sunlight, always wear sunglasses outside, and love the lack of the sun bouncing off and hurting my eyes.  
20190726_161210.thumb.jpg.ae9454198384514b996e68c7a51c9423.jpg
I have been told that these are good looking irons by the people I have shown them to, but no one has come up on the course or the range and asked me about them. In other words, they’re a good looking set of irons but not to the point they draw a crowd.

(Looks 7/10)

Sound & Feel
The Atomics definitely have a discernable click to them, especially when you hit the sweet spot and with short shots around the green. The first few times I hit them, it was a little loud and different from the Cobras, but over time it became a reassuring sound of a pure strike. I can see where it might be a turn off for players who are affected by sound, but I have grown accustomed to it.  

The Atomics feel hot! It feels like the face is just cradling the ball momentarily before launching them into the sky.

For GI clubs, I think they do a great job transmitting the feel between a good and bad strike. They’re definitely more harsh when you blade one, but not bad enough to make your hands hate life for your bad shot.  

(Sound & Feel 9/10)

Basic Characteristics

While I don’t believe there is a club that is just point and shoot, the Atomics are the closest I’ve hit. I still miss a lot of greens, but with them my misses are closer. The long irons tend to fade a bit, while the mid irons seem to want to draw. The wedges are definitely the straightest to the point I’ve had a couple of longer shots I thought were going to go in the hole.  

The big feature that Tommy Armour Golf was able to fit into these clubs is the distance. I’ve gained pretty much 10 yards overall. My only discrepancies are with the 7 and 9 irons. If it wasn’t for trees, the 7 iron distance would be better, but it seemed to like to hit them on a couple of par threes… religiously. The 9 iron I just can’t figure out, I’ve actually seen a drop of 7 yards. It might just be that I have not used it as much as some of the others (15 shots). Also, one of my biggest concerns is the fact that they are too tightly gapped toward the top of the bag with only an 8 yard difference between the 5 and 7 irons.  

20190918_200023.thumb.jpg.73a5c3de60f9847f100d4b4ef4c763c6.jpg

Don’t let the strong lofts fool you into thinking that you can’t get them airborne, they hit the ball high. I can even launch the 4 iron into the sky, to the point where it has become more reliable off the turf than my 3 wood.  

I’m not the most consistent ball striker. Remember that click I told you about earlier on good hits? I can tell you I only hear it a few times a round. I have hit the entire face of these clubs (I call it being thorough) and I’ve still seen decent distance and accuracy. It’s not perfect, but neither is my swing. For my skill level, I’m happy with the performance I’m seeing with the Atomics.

For the most part, these clubs start out on the line I intend them to go. I struggled early in the review with a severe over the top swing that you can see in my stage 1 video. I’ll occasionally revert back to it if my concentration falters. This led to a lot of pulls and pull hooks that I probably would have deducted for, if I hadn't noticed it.  
Are these clubs workable? I can see the potential in them to be, but I just can’t do it. I just play the stock shot shape with whatever club I’m hitting and go from there. I have tried in the past to hit fades and draws, and let’s just say it wasn’t pretty.

Basic Characteristics (17/20)

On Course Performance

Now we’re getting down to what really matters, how the Tommy Armour’s did on the course. Looks, sound, feel, and all the little things are important, but performance is king.  

I play more for fun than anything, I’m just not to the point where I feel my game is good enough to compete. Most of the pressure I’ve dealt are the tee shots on a few holes that provide certain challenges.

The first is #1 at Waterville. Most of the time the middle tees are just in front of the blues and it’s a straight shot to the fairway. Lately, the tees have been moved closer and to the right. The problem? The fairway has trees down the right side that are now directly in front of a good shot. I’ve tried to go over them, but haven’t been able to pull it off. Most of my shots have been pulls that still find the fairway, but aren’t getting within range for a short pitch shot.
Screenshot_20190921-151840.thumb.jpg.34212af9b9b4ac334ac94bd99041590f.jpg

The second hole is #5 at Waterville. It’s a straight shot over a pond. I’ve actually navigated it pretty well by only skipping one into the drink during the irons only round. I’ve also hit my longest drive with the 4 iron here that travelled 207 yards.
 Screenshot_20190921-145300.thumb.jpg.8138c804969494ba00acc58150015ae1.jpg
The last one is the 10th at Chatata Valley. It has a narrow fairway with trees bordering the left side and a pond on the right. I HATE this hole, with a passion. If I play this course and have to start on the back, I know I’m in for a bad day. I’ve only played this hole once during this review and ended up in the pond.  
 20190831_111849-01.jpeg.d7e42ad83e98cb84cbf6ecde7514057d.jpeg
I did play one round with only 4 clubs (thanks CCC#3 guys for the inspiration!) and that had my heart skipping. I took only the 4, 7, and AW from the set and my putter. I shot 52 and walked away happy with the results. Looking back, I wish I would have opted for the 5, 7, and PW, but that was just not optimal planning on my part.  

When I started testing my Arccos handicap was 19.6 and have lowered it to 16.2 overall while having an 18.6 handicap with all my rounds with the Cobras excluded. Can’t figure that one out, but Arccos has it’s mysterious ways.  
20190919_213434.thumb.jpg.dfac3871e1342320cf20e7eca07119b0.jpg

20190919_213406.thumb.jpg.f52856f82d21b892aff8122081c9d090.jpg

My first couple of rounds with the Atomics were an emotional roller coaster. I shot 104, 89, 103, 63 (9 holes), and 108. It’s settled down since then and I’m playing some of the most consistent golf of my life. Three of the eight full rounds with the Atomics have been below 90, and three of the six 9 hole rounds have been 45 or better.  

Tommy Armour Golf has definitely changed my impression of them. Being a DSG/Golf Galaxy brand shouldn’t deter some golfers from giving them a try.  

On Course Performance (28/30)

Miscellaneous

The clubs arrived packaged well, each individually wrapped and surrounded by paper. They definitely take care to assure your new clubs arrive looking good.
20190726_121727-01.jpeg.9384187fe70a616fc0bea3db0e60614f.jpeg

The tech they packed into these is just mind blowing. Low CG, tungsten weight, cup face, brazing, and premium quality DAT 55 titanium in an extremely affordable price is a plus in my book.  

I would like to see more shaft selections, even if it’s just a graphite shaft like in the Atomic Max. I know the price ($399) doesn’t scream custom fitting, but the original MSRP of $799 does. Other than that, they are winners.  
 Screenshot_20190921-150848_Chrome.thumb.jpg.72ecdb49ad444d3903185c8f9b47d222.jpg
Miscellaneous (9/10)

Play Them or Trade Them

I’m definitely keeping the Atomics in the bag. After the initial “getting to know you” phase, I have been playing consistent, better golf. The extra distance, accuracy, and forgiveness has helped my scores drop.  

I am going to continue to play some rounds with the Cobras to see if I can replicate the results since I’ve been working on more consistent contact with my irons and they were custom fit. This alone keeps the Atomics from getting a perfect score in this category.  

The price is a steal, the performance is great, and I’m having fun playing the Atomics. My issue is fitting, the shaft/head combo works for me, but could it be better? This has nagged me the entire review.  

I think these irons are worth a look for golfers who are looking for more distance and forgiveness. Did I mention the price? There are irons out there that don’t offer the same benefits that cost twice as much. I would highly recommend anyone looking for a long, forgiving iron set to at least hit these before making a decision.  

Play Them or Trade Them (19/20)

Conclusion

Tommy Armour is back! The Atomic irons are long, forgiving and fun to play. They are packed with features of a premium club with an affordable price tag. They have lowered my scores and made iron play a joy. They’re not at the top of the looks scale, but good cooking beats good looking all day long. I think anyone who bypasses them as being a “house brand” might be missing out.  

Thank you again to MyGolfSpy, Tommy Armour Golf, my fellow testers, and everyone for following along for joining us for the ride. You guys are what makes this the best golf community on the planet!

Final Score (89/100)

Brilliant @sirchunksalot, I've really enjoyed reading your adventures with the Tommy Armours 👏👏😁😎.

PS I like the way you took a little inspiration from our little CCC3 thread. The 4 club was pretty much my favourite challenge 🤩😁🏌️

• Like 1

On 9/22/2019 at 9:52 AM, sirchunksalot said:

I hadn't heard of the XP85 but I've used the XP95 in my last two sets of irons. It's a shame they don't have more shaft choices but I suspect that helps keep the price down.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nunfa0 said:

I hadn't heard of the XP85 but I've used the XP95 in my last two sets of irons. It's a shame they don't have more shaft choices but I suspect that helps keep the price down.

IMO, with these clubs having many shaft options would be counterproductive to the demographic these are meant for.  Way before club fitting became the norm, people bought iron sets out of the back of golf digest based on brand recognition and many people shot the same scores they did when club fitting became so popular.  I just think over complicating this set would be a mistake. 

• Like 3