Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Tommy Armour Atomic Irons

Our Sponsors

On 12/13/2019 at 10:06 PM, sirchunksalot said:

I'm surprised that your Cobra's spun more than the Lynx, considering your loft difference. But, having played the F8's, they did seem to spin quite a bit. Maybe something to do with the extra milling on the face? I wish I would have gotten photos of the numbers they were putting up when I got fitted. That's the obsession I had with distance whenever I bought them taking over and being what I wanted out of them so bad.

I will say that I took a couple of photos of the Tommy Armour's and the spin on the 7 iron was around 5200 rpm.

I will admit as much as I have brought up the lack of customization in this thread the one thing I have really appreciated about the XP85 shaft is that it's the least abusive steel shaft I've ever hit. I can either play or spend lots of time at the range and not have the soreness in the elbows from hitting so much.

P.S. I think is awesome you went to UT, Go Big Orange!

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Thanks for your response!

It seems like the grooves on the F8s are much more pronounced/well machined - which is probably the culprit.

That's great about the XP85. the F8s have XP95 shafts, I think they're great!

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 6:05 PM, JimNantzsToast said:

Thank you for the response!

I was on a Trackman today, hit my Lynx 7 iron about 150 yards with around 5500 RPM back spin (averaging a few swings). I hit my Cobra 7 iron 165 with... ALMOST 12,000 RPM BACKSPIN (averaging a few swings).

12k backspin with a 7 iron going 165 yards??? With all due respect, I find that nearly impossible to believe... Perhaps something was amiss with the trackman?

im not sure it’s physically possible....🤔

• Like 1

12k backspin with a 7 iron going 165 yards??? With all due respect, I find that nearly impossible to believe... Perhaps something was amiss with the trackman?
im not sure it’s physically possible....

Might have shown total spin. Like side spin and back spin together which I’ve seen on other monitors. For reference on my SkyTrak the highest spin I’ve been able to achieve was 11,800 using a 56 degree wedge and ProV1x.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

14 hours ago, Sluggo42 said:

im not sure it’s physically possible....🤔

Yeah no disrespect taken - I honestly think something was way wrong + I chopped way down on the ball/bad swing. My local range with the trackman has 2 bays, the right bay seems to always be right/calibrated correctly, the left bay is rumored to be cursed. I think when I played that round it was on the "cursed left bay" that never seems to be quite right.