TESTERS WANTED! ×

Swing for larger muscular frames

Hiya.

Worked with an Instructor last year who focused more on a body swing.It was effective but really hard to maintain with my love of gym heavy lifting work outs.Just hard turning when my body is tight and stiff. 

So I went and found another instructor who has more of a physical body background.According to him.People with my build need to utilize their assets.Which for me is a very strong upper body.He proposed we work on more of a right sided swing.One that uses more hand hit and shallowing.Versus the body shallowing the club.Its a little forced with the hands dominating this motion.But my irons have never been better.The driver produces an excess amount of snap hooks for my liking.For some reason the excess strong grip really throws off my driver swing.Would you recommend using a weaker grip for the driver?And maybe get a stiffer shaft for the driver?This swing really produces a nice shallow divot that always points slightly right of the target.Ball flight is lower draws with a hook bias.He is booked up solid now for months.Wont be able to see him until mid October 

Edited by Big money

Keep it in the short stuff

Forgive me if I’m wrong. But I read somewhere a grip with hands turned weaker is actually a grip the causes a flip or hook. Where a strong grip (hands turned to the right) actually produces a hold off fade. This may be bad info. So take it for what it is. 

22 hours ago, Big money said:

Forgive me if I’m wrong. But I read somewhere a grip with hands turned weaker is actually a grip the causes a flip or hook. Where a strong grip (hands turned to the right) actually produces a hold off fade. This may be bad info. So take it for what it is. 

It is the opposite. I am assuming he is talking about the top hand on the club. For righties it would be the right hand, and lefties it would be the left hand. By weakening that hand it is very difficult to turn the club over which causes more of a fade type of shot, and by making that hand stronger it allows you to really turn the club face over at impact which would produce more of a draw type of shot. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

Quick follow up.I contacted my pro and discussed my driver woes over the phone.According to him, having two grips would be a disaster.But he did say that some clubs need a different release pattern than others.So he proposed I try a open palm release style with my driver.And bingo, low cutting fades nicely in play on the golf course.Maybe not my longest drives.But having the ball 270-290  in the short stuff is good for me.The release feels more like a side medicine ball throw with the hands never turning the club over into well in the follow thru.With my irons I can release freely.But the driver using his method requires a different release style