TESTERS WANTED! ×

What is everyones favorite new irons?

BirdieBoyz2

4 minutes ago, silver & black said:

chisag.... have you hit the MMC? If you have, what are your thoughts?

... I did a review of the MP59's for WRX when they were first released and I was fitted by Mizuno to make sure my review was accurate, using the right clubs for my swing. Very smart. The MMC's are really the updated version of MP59's that I loved and played for 2 years and if I were gonna play Mizuno's, the MMC's would be my choice. Not quite as soft as the SC's but still feel really good. I am of the opinion you should play the most forgiving irons you can effectively play and the MMC's check all the boxes for a great all around iron that does everything well. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

Im interested in the Tommy Armour 845s.  I love that they brought back a classic name and the clubs look legit.

"I suppose its better to be a master of 7 than to be vaguely familiar with 14." - Chick Evans

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?

Woods: Tommy Armour Atomic 10.5* 

Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 3H

Irons: Mizuno T-Zoid True 5, 7 and 9-irons

Wedge: Mizuno S18 54* and Top Flite chipper

Putter: Mizuno Bettinardi A-02

Ball: Maxfli Tour X

I liked the WilsonD-7’s so much this past year that I finally ordered them......

IMG_0715.JPG

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Wilson Staff Triton (10.5*) w/Aldila Rogue Regular; PowerBilt Air Force One 3W 15* & 5W 19* Apollo Regular; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid w/Project X Evenflo Regular shaft; Wilson Staff D-7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 graphite shafts; Ben Hogan TKt Gw(49*) SW(53*) LW(57*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts.Putter: Tommy Armour Impact No. 3; Bag: Tour Effect Univ. Of Kentucky cooler bag.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

I love my Z785 irons, and can’t wait to see what Srixon comes out with in September, but for now, there were three irons that stood out in my fitting:
Z785, of course
Honma 747 Tour V
Vega Mizar

The last two actually had better numbers than the Srixons. Those Mizars are SO fun to hit!!! $200 a club, so not in my future, and the Honmas were amazing!!! I haven’t hit the newly released Honmas, but I bet they’re awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

On 2/10/2020 at 11:42 AM, bens197 said:

Pound for pound, I would put Rochester next to any golf destination for top courses. Donald Ross and RTJ did some spectacular work up here. Aside from the golf, it has so much to offer that I’m glad I moved back after 9 years in Florida.

I’m looking forward to this golf season more and more as the snow melts quickly today...

That's why it'll Feel So Good when I meet up with you this spring or summer.

Also, I'm all the way in on the HL4 Ironwoods. Like I think I'm going for a fitting by the end of the month all the way in.

In a :ping-small: Hoofer Lite bag

:titleist-small: TSR2, 10 degrees, A1 setting, Fujikara Speeder NX Blue 50-S

:taylormade-small: Stealth, 15 degrees, VA Composites Nemesys 70-S 

:755178188_TourEdge: E722, 19 degrees, Oban Devotion 80-S

:mizuno-small: JPX 921 Hot Metal Pro 4-P, Nippon 950GH Stiff Flex

:cleveland-small: CBX Zipcore 50* (bent to *49) and RTX Zipcore Tour Rack 54* (bent to *55), DG 115 Spinner, Tour Issue

:wilson-small: Staff Model TG 60*, Dynamic Gold 120 S300

SIK Golf Flo-C

:bridgestone-small: Tour B-XS (2022 Model)

On 3/1/2020 at 5:18 PM, silver & black said:

I'm looking real hard at Mizuno JPX 919 Tour and MP18 SC. Anyone have insight on either?

I currently play the 919 tours and I absolutely love them. I will have to agree with everything Chisag said in regards to these irons. I also own a set of Cleveland 588 cb/mb combo irons and they are noticeably softer than the mizunos. I kinda jumped into getting fitted for the tours and I really wish I would’ve tested the srixon irons before purchasing. If the srixon irons feel anything like the Cleveland’s I have then you should definitely try them out.

chisag.... I hit both the mp18 sc and mmc today. I loved both of them, but I think I love the mmc more. I walked away without purchasing, but I think I might be regretting my decision based on the fact I could have purchased either at an almost $300.00 discount. I just might have to go back and hit of them again..... and come home with one of them...lol.

On another note.... I hate hitting irons off of a mat!  Not only that.... I don't trust the LM's in a golf store. I just went with how I perceived the "feel" when I hit these irons, and disregarded all the LM stuff. The LM totally went against everything I know to be true when actually playing golf.

44 minutes ago, silver & black said:

On another note.... I hate hitting irons off of a mat!  Not only that.... I don't trust the LM's in a golf store. I just went with how I perceived the "feel" when I hit these irons, and disregarded all the LM stuff. The LM totally went against everything I know to be true when actually playing golf.

... Always take your irons with you and it at least gives you a baseline. If you know you hit your 7 iron 155 and you are hitting it 165 on the LM in the store, you know the new irons you are demoing are approximately 10 yds shorter than what the LM says. Fwiw, I never pay attention to indoor LM's because I am playing golf swing, not golf. No target to hone in on so I am thinking swing not target and that changes everything. Works for some, just not me. 

... The SC's are really nice but those MMC's are tough to beat for all around performance and feel. Good luck on your next visit! 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

On 3/2/2020 at 9:18 AM, silver & black said:

I'm looking real hard at Mizuno JPX 919 Tour and MP18 SC. Anyone have insight on either?

I was in the same boat when I was looking for new irons. At my fitting I hit both ok, pro handed me the MMC. One hit and I was in love. Like @chisag said, they are forgiving, but still feel great. I couldn't be happier with mine.  

:Sub70:  849 Pro Evenflow Riptide 6.0
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:titelist-small: TS2 7 Wood Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:cleveland-small: Zipcore Wedges 50,54,58 - Project X LZ 5.5
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Now I haven't tried them only seen them and tried the older models but I really like the new forged tec irons from cobra. Really want to go give them a hit, however the likelihood of a purchase would be slim with the i210 still bring phenomenal irons. 

Also hoping to see a new 760 come it soon. 

⛳🛄 as of Nov 6, 2023 (Past WITB
Driver:  :callaway-small: Paradym TD w/ GD ADDI 6X Driver Shootout! 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ Motore F1 Shaft

Irons:   :titleist-small: T Series - T200 5 Iron
                                          T150 6-9 Iron
                                          T100 PW/GW

Wedge:  Toura Golf - A Spec 53,37,61 degree 

Putter:  Screenshot 2023-06-02 13.10.30.png Mezz Max!

Balls:     Vice Pro Plus Drip (Blue/Orange)

chisag.... or anyone else.................... I'm probably going to pull the trigger on the MP18 SC or MMC , soon. I love both irons. I think the MMC is a touch more forgiving, but not much. I really prefer the sound/feel of the SC, but I really like the  Nippon Modus shaft that comes in the MMC. I'm torn...lol.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/9/2020 at 8:30 PM, silver & black said:

chisag.... or anyone else.................... I'm probably going to pull the trigger on the MP18 SC or MMC , soon. I love both irons. I think the MMC is a touch more forgiving, but not much. I really prefer the sound/feel of the SC, but I really like the  Nippon Modus shaft that comes in the MMC. I'm torn...lol.

Buy both!!😀

Ping G430 Driver, 19° Hybrid, Ping Anser 23° Hybrid, Mizuno 923 Hot Metal 6-GW, Ping 54°&58° Glides, Scotty Cameron 5.5

Ben Hogan Icon irons

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 50°/ 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

SW:  Callaway MD5 Jaws 54°, TT DG Tour Issue S200 115g wedge shaft

Putter: Byron Morgan DH89 GSS custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips: BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Personally speaking, there's little that's new that has a lot of appeal for me.  So, new irons for me would be just "new to me."  

I've given thought to a few different sets over the offseason.  Palmer Standards.  Wilson Staff Fluid Feel blades from the late 80s.  Maxfli Australian Blades (the 99 model).  Ping Eye2 (OG, not Eye2+, already have a set of those).

Ultimately, it comes down to my having 19 sets of irons.  I own a few sets that I've never taken on the course.  Seems silly to buy another set.  I'm thinking I'll feed my new irons Jones by taking a set I've not played, my 78 Staff Tour Blades, and refitting them for use with a couple length adjustments, new grips, and lofts and lies, and taking them for a few spins.  When the courses finally open, that is.  

Driver: TM Original One 11.5* set to 11*, Aldila NV75 X, 43.5" -or- SpeedZone, HZRDUS Black 75 6.5, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, RIP Beta 90, 42" -or- Stage 2 Tour, NV105 X, 42.5"
2h or 3h:  TaylorMade Stage 2 Tour, Aldila NV105 S -or- RIP Alpha 105 S
Irons:  3-PW Mizuno MP37, Recoil Proto 125 F4 (reshaft in progress, slowly); 1i & 3-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R
GW: Dynacraft Dual Milled CNC 52*, Steelfiber 125 S; Scratch 8620 DS 53*, Steelfiber 125 S
SW:  Ram TG-898 56*, DGX ss2x; Ram Tom Watson 55*, DGX ss2x; Wilson Staff PMP 58*, DGS; PM Grind 19 58*, stock shaft
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34"; Ping Scottsdale TR Craz-E, 35"; Cleveland Huntington Beach 1, 35"
Ball:  Wilson Staff Duo Professional, Bridgestone Tour B-RXS, Callaway Chrome Soft

image.png.a8d9a969f9e937a4d8c320ce1db932cc.png

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple diamond 10.5 Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood ; Callaway Paradym triple diamond 15 degree, Ventus black TR 7x

Apex UW 19 degree, Ventus black TR 8x

Utility Iron: Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility, Ventus blue HB 90X

Irons: Callaway Apex MB 5-PW, KBS $ taper 130x

Wedges: Callaway Jaws Raw 50, 54, 58, KBS $ taper 130x

Putter: Wilson Staff TM22, hand torched, KBS cutter putter shaft, Super stroke Pistol GT 1.0

Recently saw the new Ben Hogan Icon irons and they are beautiful, especially in the black finish. Yes, they do look like the Apex 50 but Hogan has repeated designs as have others. 

:cobra-small: Fly Z+ UST Proforce V2 Black

Golfsmith Jet Stream 3W UST Proforce V2

:titelist-small: 915 H3 Diamana Red

:titelist-small: 915 H4 Diamana Red

:benhogan-small: Apex Edge Pro UST Recoil Dart

:titelist-small: Vokey SM6 50F/54S/58S Aerotech SteelFiber

:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach 11S

:titelist-small: Pro V1

:skycaddie:

Bag Boy Chiller

Bag Boy Quad XL

Sub70 is super solid. They look and feel great with an awesome price tag attached. It's worth looking into their demo program to try out. I just put the 639 CB/MB combo in the bag and am very impressed. 

:taylormade-small: M3, 9.5, TENSEI 70, X

:titelist-small: 913F, 15, DIAMANA 72, S

:titelist-small: 913H, 19, DIAMANA 82, S

SUB70 639 CB 4-6 MB 7-PW, KBS TOUR, X

:taylormade-small:ZTP 52, 56 

:vokey-small: SM7 60

:scotty-cameron-1: STUDIO SELECT NEWPORT 2, SUPERSTROKE TRAXION TOUR 2.0

:taylormade-small: TP5X

Sub70 is super solid. They look and feel great with an awesome price tag attached. It's worth looking into their demo program to try out. I just put the 639 CB/MB combo in the bag and am very impressed. 

:taylormade-small: M3, 9.5, TENSEI 70, X

:titelist-small: 913F, 15, DIAMANA 72, S

:titelist-small: 913H, 19, DIAMANA 82, S

SUB70 639 CB 4-6 MB 7-PW, KBS TOUR, X

:taylormade-small:ZTP 52, 56 

:vokey-small: SM7 60

:scotty-cameron-1: STUDIO SELECT NEWPORT 2, SUPERSTROKE TRAXION TOUR 2.0

:taylormade-small: TP5X

I am loving my Miura mc501.  Imo they look so hot.   Very playable as well.   

I am very much looking forward to seeing the tm p7 cb.  

Driver: Taylormade SIM Max d 9 with graphite design tour ad xc 6s

Fairway Wood:Taylormade Sim 15 with Graphite design Tour ad iz 6s
Hybrid:  Pxg gen2 19 with hand crafted hzrdus black 85 6.0 and Adams super ls xtd 22 with Diamana s+  stiff

Irons: 5-pw Miura Mc501 with modus 120s pured

Wedges:  Callaway md2 gold 50 Dg tour issue s400 black onyx, Taylormade MG 54 with DG tour issue s400 black onyx, and Taylormade hi toe 59 with modus 120r

I’m a big fan of what the Ben Hogan company is doing right now, and the new Icons are no exception. My other favorites are the MP-20s Mizuno makes, what a sweet looking iron. 

Stats: 5'4", Male, R-Handed, Moderate Tempo, Driver SS 115mph

Driver: Taylormade SiM Max 9*, TM Ventus Blue 6X
3w/5w: Callaway X-Hot, S-flex Fubuki shafts
3h: Tour Edge EXS Pro, Smoke Black 80g 6.0
4i-PW: Mizuno MP-4, DG S300
Wedges: Titleist SM7
56* Wedge: Callaway Jaws w/ 12* of bounce

I purchased a set of Honma TW-X irons and wedges with Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw stiff shafts...love them. They are long but I do not get the jumpers like I experienced with P790 and Ping i500. They are forged so easy to bend...much easier that P790. Good spin rates with plenty of height for good stopping power.

:taylormade-small: M5 9° Driver Hzrdus Smoke 6.0 Stiff

:taylormade-small: SIM Max 3 Wood VA Raijin 74 Four

:taylormade-small: SIM Max 5 Wood  Fuji Ventus Blue 6 Stiff

:honma: 19° 3 Hybrid Patterson Balistic Hut30

:honma: TW-X Irons Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S

:honma:TW Wedges 54°/60° Aerotech Steelfiber i110cw S

:odyssey-small: EXO Putter