BirdieBoyz2

What is everyones favorite new irons?

Our Sponsors

5 minutes ago, jayjay0808 said:

I have to say I have the Cobra King CB/MB in the bag and they have stayed in the bag the longest since my college days. Surprisingly good forgiveness in the MB and the CB are near perfect for the longer irons. Plus the DBM finish really holds up well and when it does start to show some wear its a solid look.

... LOL "surprisingly forgiving"? These may be one of the smallest headed MB's on the market today. Obviously you are an amazing ball striker and they certainly are great irons but forgiving is juuuuuuust a bit outside. 🤗

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, chisag said:

... LOL "surprisingly forgiving"? These may be one of the smallest headed MB's on the market today. Obviously you are an amazing ball striker and they certainly are great irons but forgiving is juuuuuuust a bit outside. 🤗

I know... Totally sounds like an oxymoron. However I have found them forgiving, also see Mark Crossfields' comparison of these against the Apex Pro and you will see he experienced the same thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PMookie said:

10 posts earlier the Atomics were your choice... What happened???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I turned into GolfSpy_CG2 😉     ........  No seriously I like feel of the Rogue X with the short irons and they are awesome on approach shots.  

• Like 4

I turned into GolfSpy_CG2      ........  No seriously I like feel of the Rogue X with the short irons and they are awesome on approach shots.  

Rob, CG2 is my Hero
I was definitely in the wrong Profession

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

Rob, CG2 is my Hero
I was definitely in the wrong Profession

Same here!!!

• Like 2

I struggle w/ needing a blade like look, size, sole width but also need some forgiveness off the toe area a few times a round and I don't get great distance w/ traditional MB blades.  I love the feel of the new MP-20's but went another direction for distance help too.  

These have helped a lot:

Gen3.jpg

• Like 1

... Well, I put my money where my keyboard is and bought a new set of 2019 P790's and installed Steelfiber i95's so they get my vote. I really wanted to play the King Forged Tec because they are excellent irons and right there with the P790's, but I just didn't care for the look at address.  Imo there just isn't a better all around iron for the majority of players than the P790. Not too big or too small they are just about a perfect size and shape, awesome look at address as well as look "in the bag" (for those that care about that). Crazy forgiving for a players iron and l-o-n-g, especially mid and long irons. They should be at the top of the list for a wide range of players, especially those that can benefit from a few extra yards and/or a higher trajectory with plenty of forgiveness. They launch high with less spin making them outstanding wind irons too. 

... All that said, some do not need or want more distance from their irons, they want more spin and a lower trajectory so of course there are those that won't care for the P790 at all. I have stated before I struggled with mine in Phoenix on a few desert courses with very hard and fast greens and even the high flight with a steep descent could not hold those greens and I bought some P760's for those courses. I cannot think of another iron that can be played by such a wide index of players from scratch to high index so for most of us I think the P790's are a must demo if you are even thinking about new irons.  

• Like 4

I tested the P790, Forged Tec and i500 and preferred the forged tec. Just slightly more forgiving than the p790 for me and given where my swing is at I went for the Cobra. Was actually a big decision for me as I tend to go for Mizuno, Ping and Titleist. But I actually hit them really well and the stock shaft actually worked for me better than non stock during the fitting. I have to say I'm really impressed with Cobra. They are making some awesome gear and don't seem to get the credit they deserve.

• Like 6

Alright so I just got fitted last week for irons and hit a ton of shots with lots of clubs. I hit MP20 HMB, Rogue, Apex, G410, P790, i500, TW747 and AP2. After going through all of this I feel like I need to go back again to hit more. JPX919, T-series, MP20 MB, what else have I missed? Also at what point can does one finally feel informed to choose a set haha.

Sent from my SM-G950U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

I just tried the new cobra t-rails and not sure what your in the market for but if your looking for a club that is a rocket ship and almost impossible to miss hit you need to try them out. I could not believe the distance and accuracy I seen. Even bad shots were salvaged. Cobra is really stepping it up.

After playing same old, same old (Cleveland HB3) super game improvement irons since about 2008, I decided to have a good set of irons before I die. And to have them fit instead of cruising around on eBay to find them. So, naturally, I bought two sets: Mizuno JPX919 Hot Metals in September and Ben Hogan Ft. Worth Blacks in December. Haven't figured out a favorite yet, but both are a LOT better than the Clevelands. The remaining question will be whether I can play either set well enough to get my handicap headed down instead of up as has been the case for the past five years or so.

So far, so good. FWIW, both are long and I'm striking them consistently. My 7 iron carry with the HB3s had dropped off to 150 yards and was heading lower. I am hitting the Hot Metals 7 iron about 158 to 160 and the Ft. Worth 7 iron slightly more, maybe 163 carry. Can't explain why the Hogans are so long - their 7 iron is lofted at a traditional 34 degrees, while the Hot Metal 7 iron is somewhat jacked at 30 degrees. The trajectory of both is similar - must be the relative weighting of the heads or the different shafts (KBS C-taper Lite in the Mizunos and UST Mamiya Recoil F3 graphite in the Hogans, both regular flex).   

On 11/13/2019 at 6:06 PM, ole gray said:

I turned into GolfSpy_CG2 😉     ........  No seriously I like feel of the Rogue X with the short irons and they are awesome on approach shots.  

On 11/13/2019 at 10:05 PM, Rickp said:

Rob, CG2 is my Heroemoji106.png
I was definitely in the wrong Profession emoji12.png

On 11/14/2019 at 5:59 PM, PMookie said:

Same here!!!

You guys are funny.   Apparently I missed these comments earlier.  Looks like it will was while I was in the hospital.   And yes I was probably laying there thinking about what new irons would be had in 2020 🤪

• Like 2

On 11/6/2019 at 6:23 PM, ole gray said:

I love love love my Callaway Rogue X irons! 😍   The more I game em the more I love em 💓

Do yourself a favor. Don’t hit the Titleist T300’s.

I did, came back the next two days and hit them again. Long story short, ordered them today. Not only that, but I included the Rogue X irons in my trade. That shocked me, because they were a set I thought I’d never trade in.

The T300’s are really that good though, not to mention they’re going to look great in the bag. Thank goodness the big OEM’s have all their new stuff out for this year by now. Trying everything is fun, but man it gets exhausting, lol.

Edited by Grand Stranded
  • Like 2

I did, came back the next two days and hit them again. Long story short, ordered them today. Not only that, but I included the Rogue X irons in my trade. That shocked me, because they were a set I thought I’d never trade in.
The T300’s are really that good though, not to mention they’re going to look great in the bag. Thank goodness the big OEM’s have all their new stuff out for this year by now. Trying everything is fun, but man it gets exhausting, lol.

Funny, we need good consumers. I didn’t particularly care for the Rogue X but the Titleist T300’s are downright purty.

• Haha 1

On 2/9/2020 at 9:16 PM, Rickp said:

Funny, we need good consumers. I didn’t particularly care for the Rogue X but the Titleist T300’s are downright purty.

You helped me a lot when I started looking for irons a month or two ago. 

I started out looking at the Ping 410s and Mizuno hot metals. Didn’t like the Pings when I demoed them, which surprised me. The HMs were really nice, I just never could pull the trigger on them for some reason.

i liked the Apex 19s a lot, but they just didn’t play as well for me on the course as they tested. I was very lucky to have gotten them 40% off in outlet condition on CPO, and was actually able to sell them locally for a small profitafter a few rounds.

I was resigned to playing the Rogues for another year until Mizuno upgraded the HMs this fall, but stumbled upon the T300s.They seem to check all my boxes, and I think I finally got this iron search thing over and done with. Too be honest, it stopped being fun a long time ago, I really, really want to just work on my game.

It’s  funny I actually thought of you and your Ping review when I was fitted for these. I always thought I was standard lie angle, but it turns out in two different fittings with the t300#: I need 2* flat. If I remember correctly your lie angle change was even bigger? I was leery, but it corrected my misses to the right (we’re both lefty) immediately.

Oh well, now I get to exhale, play some golf and get used to the new irons. Knowing me though, if I like them as much as I hope, it wont be long before some matching Vokeys and maybe another Titleist club or two make their way in the bag....

Edited by Grand Stranded
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Grand Stranded said:

You helped me a lot when I started looking for irons a month or two ago. 

I started out looking at the Ping 410s and Mizuno hot metals. Didn’t like the Pings when I demoed them, which surprised me. The HMs were really nice, I just never could pull the trigger on them for some reason.

i liked the Apex 19s a lot, but they just didn’t play as well for me on the course as they tested. I was very lucky to have gotten them 40% off in outlet condition on CPO, and was actually able to sell them locally for a small profitafter a few rounds.

I was resigned to playing the Rogues for another year until Mizuno upgraded the HMs this fall, but stumbled upon the T300s.They seem to check all my boxes, and I think I finally got this iron search thing over and done with. Too be honest, it stopped being fun a long time ago, I really, really want to just work on my game.

It’s  funny I actually thought of you and your Ping review when I was fitted for these. I always thought I was standard lie angle, but it turns out in two different fittings with the t300#: I need 2* flat. If I remember correctly your lie angle change was even bigger? I was leery, but it corrected my misses to the left (we’re both lefty) immediately.

Oh well, now I get to exhale, play some golf and get used to the new irons. Knowing me though, if I like them as much as I hope, it wont be long before some matching Vokeys and maybe another Titleist club or two make their way in the bag....

I was fit for T300 last fall.  Didn't buy them until right early this year.   Then sent them out for some work.   I'll have them in hand ready to play for the first time this week.  I'm really looking forward to them.  No doubt the longest I've owned an iron without playing them.  🤪

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

I was fit for T300 last fall.  Didn't buy them until right early this year.   Then sent them out for some work.   I'll have them in hand ready to play for the first time this week.  I'm really looking forward to them.  No doubt the longest I've owned an iron without playing them.  🤪

Mine should arrive in about two weeks(?) at least that’s what they told me today when I ordered them.

Please tag me if you plan on posting about playing your new set. i love reading people’s thoughts on clubs, especially in a case like this, with two people the same skill level, both about to start playing the same irons.

Here’s hoping we both have found a set we enjoy using for quite a while...

(notice I’m not pinning us down on any set time period? 😜)

Edited by Grand Stranded
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Grand Stranded said:

Being a ho is tiring however it's fun to stroke a few new sticks. 😉

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, ole gray said:

Being a ho is tiring however it's fun to stroke a few new sticks. 😉

It's my only vice, OG.

To be honest, I'm usually pretty tight with a dollar, but when it comes to golf and shiny new clubs, I have very little control.

How little? I find myself justifying new irons because I don't want to spend $100 on new grips.🤔 (This is the most expensive set I've ever bought though, so I'm hoping they stay in the bag a few years. I think they will, the problem is I know the way I am. It won't be long before I'm looking for some matching Vokeys and maybe a Scotty. I'm already researching the new Titleist hybrids, LOL.

• Like 2