BirdieBoyz2

What is everyones favorite new irons?

Our Sponsors

4 minutes ago, silver & black said:

chisag.... have you hit the MMC? If you have, what are your thoughts?

... I did a review of the MP59's for WRX when they were first released and I was fitted by Mizuno to make sure my review was accurate, using the right clubs for my swing. Very smart. The MMC's are really the updated version of MP59's that I loved and played for 2 years and if I were gonna play Mizuno's, the MMC's would be my choice. Not quite as soft as the SC's but still feel really good. I am of the opinion you should play the most forgiving irons you can effectively play and the MMC's check all the boxes for a great all around iron that does everything well. 

• Like 3

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Pro Orange 60r
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 75s
Utility:   TaylorMade RBZ Tour Hy ... Matrix Altus 85 hy
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

Thank you! I will try a number of irons before I make a choice. I am definitely a Mizuno/Titleist fan boy.... but I will objectively give other brands a shot!

Im interested in the Tommy Armour 845s.  I love that they brought back a classic name and the clubs look legit.

Whats in my Sun Mountain 2.5+ stand bag?:

Woods: Titleist 913FD 13.5* 3-wood

Hybrid: Titleist 915HD 3H 

Irons: Titleist DCI 822 OS 6, 8 and PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 2.0 56*

Putter: Titleist Bullseye Standard

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

I liked the WilsonD-7’s so much this past year that I finally ordered them......

IMG_0715.JPG

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
Wilson Staff Triton (10.5*) w/Aldila Rogue Regular; PowerBilt Air Force One 3W 15* & 5W 19* Apollo Regular; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid w/Project X Evenflo Regular shaft; Wilson Staff D-7 5-PW w/Recoil 460 graphite shafts; Ben Hogan TKt Gw(49*) SW(53*) LW(57*) all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts.Putter: Tommy Armour Impact No. 3; Bag: Tour Effect Univ. Of Kentucky cooler bag.

• Like 3

Driver: Cobra King F8 w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Fairways:  Cobra King F8 3W(14.5*) & 5W(18.5*) w/Mitsubishi ck Blue regular shaft Hybrids: Tour Edge CBX 119 4H(22*)  with Project X Evenflo regular shaft Irons: Wilson Staff D7 5 - PW w/Recoil 460 regular shafts Wedges: Cobra King F8 GW(50*) SW(54*) LW(58*) Putter: 33" Tommy Armour Impact No. 3 mallet putter Bag: Cobra Ultralite Cart Bag(Peacoat Blue).

I love my Z785 irons, and can’t wait to see what Srixon comes out with in September, but for now, there were three irons that stood out in my fitting:
Z785, of course
Honma 747 Tour V
Vega Mizar

The last two actually had better numbers than the Srixons. Those Mizars are SO fun to hit!!! $200 a club, so not in my future, and the Honmas were amazing!!! I haven’t hit the newly released Honmas, but I bet they’re awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: :honma: TR20 460, :Fuji: Ventus Black 70X

Fwy: :titelist-small: TS3, 15*, Veylix Rome 888 X

Hybrid: :callaway-small: X2 Hot Pro, 20*, :Fuji: Rombax 8D07HB TM27 X

Irons: :srixon-small: Z585 4/5 iron, Z785 6-PW, :Nippon:Modus 120X

Wedges: Vega VW-06 50*/54*/58*, Dynamic Gold S400

Putter: :seemore-small: Platinum M5 HT Mallet, 36"

On 2/10/2020 at 11:42 AM, bens197 said:

Pound for pound, I would put Rochester next to any golf destination for top courses. Donald Ross and RTJ did some spectacular work up here. Aside from the golf, it has so much to offer that I’m glad I moved back after 9 years in Florida.

I’m looking forward to this golf season more and more as the snow melts quickly today...

That's why it'll Feel So Good when I meet up with you this spring or summer.

Also, I'm all the way in on the HL4 Ironwoods. Like I think I'm going for a fitting by the end of the month all the way in.

• Like 1

:mizuno-small: ST180, 10.5, Kuro Kage Silver TINI Dual Core 60-S 

:755178188_TourEdge:  CB4 Tour 16.5*, Aldila RIP 70-S

:cobra-small: F7 ONE 5-S, UST Recoil 680 F4 in 5 iron, KBS Tour R+ in rest

:cobra-small: KING ONE 60*, KBS Tour FLT 

:nickent-small: Pipe

:srixon-small: Q-Star Tour... For now

:CaddyTek: Caddylite 15.3 V1

Go Orange!

On 3/1/2020 at 5:18 PM, silver & black said:

I'm looking real hard at Mizuno JPX 919 Tour and MP18 SC. Anyone have insight on either?

I currently play the 919 tours and I absolutely love them. I will have to agree with everything Chisag said in regards to these irons. I also own a set of Cleveland 588 cb/mb combo irons and they are noticeably softer than the mizunos. I kinda jumped into getting fitted for the tours and I really wish I would’ve tested the srixon irons before purchasing. If the srixon irons feel anything like the Cleveland’s I have then you should definitely try them out.

• Like 1

chisag.... I hit both the mp18 sc and mmc today. I loved both of them, but I think I love the mmc more. I walked away without purchasing, but I think I might be regretting my decision based on the fact I could have purchased either at an almost $300.00 discount. I just might have to go back and hit of them again..... and come home with one of them...lol.

• Like 1

On another note.... I hate hitting irons off of a mat!  Not only that.... I don't trust the LM's in a golf store. I just went with how I perceived the "feel" when I hit these irons, and disregarded all the LM stuff. The LM totally went against everything I know to be true when actually playing golf.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, silver & black said:

On another note.... I hate hitting irons off of a mat!  Not only that.... I don't trust the LM's in a golf store. I just went with how I perceived the "feel" when I hit these irons, and disregarded all the LM stuff. The LM totally went against everything I know to be true when actually playing golf.

... Always take your irons with you and it at least gives you a baseline. If you know you hit your 7 iron 155 and you are hitting it 165 on the LM in the store, you know the new irons you are demoing are approximately 10 yds shorter than what the LM says. Fwiw, I never pay attention to indoor LM's because I am playing golf swing, not golf. No target to hone in on so I am thinking swing not target and that changes everything. Works for some, just not me. 

... The SC's are really nice but those MMC's are tough to beat for all around performance and feel. Good luck on your next visit! 

• Like 5

Driver:   Cobra Speedzone Xtreme 9* ... Tensei Pro Orange 60r
Fw wood: Cobra Speedzone 14.5* ... Atmos TS Blue 75s
Utility:   TaylorMade RBZ Tour Hy ... Matrix Altus 85 hy
Irons:    4-Gw Titleist T100-S ... Kuro Kage 105 Tini s-flex
              4-pw TaylorMade P760 ... Recoil Prototype 95 r-flex
Wedges:  SM6 52* F Grind /SM7D & SM8M 58* ... Recoil 110s
Putter:  Newport 2.5 at 33"
Ball:  TaylorMade TP5x

On 3/2/2020 at 9:18 AM, silver & black said:

I'm looking real hard at Mizuno JPX 919 Tour and MP18 SC. Anyone have insight on either?

I was in the same boat when I was looking for new irons. At my fitting I hit both ok, pro handed me the MMC. One hit and I was in love. Like @chisag said, they are forgiving, but still feel great. I couldn't be happier with mine.  

• Like 1

:ping-small:  G400 SFT with Aldila Xtorsion Copper Stiff
:cobra-small: F8 3 & 5 Woods with Project X Evenflow Blue 6.0

:mizuno-small: MP18 MMC FliHi 4 Iron - Project X LZ 5.5
:mizuno-small:  MP18 MMC - Project X LZ 5.5
:mizuno-small: S18 Wedges 50,54,58
MLA Tour Mallet 33"
:srixon-small:  Z Star
:ping-small: Pioneer bag
:Clicgear: buggy

Now I haven't tried them only seen them and tried the older models but I really like the new forged tec irons from cobra. Really want to go give them a hit, however the likelihood of a purchase would be slim with the i210 still bring phenomenal irons. 

Also hoping to see a new 760 come it soon. 

• Like 1

⛳🛄 as of May 14, 2020

SWING SPEED- 100

Driver:   :callaway-small: Epic Sub Zero - Set at 10* with Aldila Rogue Max 65 gram 

Wood:    :cobra-small: F7 3 wood 14.5* w/ weight back

:ping-small: G410 Crossover - 2 and 4 iron

Irons:     :ping-small: i210 5-U w/ Nippon Modus 105 stiff (2018 Tester)

Wedge:  :ping-small: Glide 2.0 54* 58* w/ Nippon Modus 105 Stiff

Putter:   :odyssey-small: Stroke Lab 7 35* and oversized grip (2019 Tester)

Balls:      :srixon-small: Z Star

Other:     :Arccos: 360 (Caddie)

chisag.... or anyone else.................... I'm probably going to pull the trigger on the MP18 SC or MMC , soon. I love both irons. I think the MMC is a touch more forgiving, but not much. I really prefer the sound/feel of the SC, but I really like the  Nippon Modus shaft that comes in the MMC. I'm torn...lol.

• Like 1

On 3/9/2020 at 8:30 PM, silver & black said:

chisag.... or anyone else.................... I'm probably going to pull the trigger on the MP18 SC or MMC , soon. I love both irons. I think the MMC is a touch more forgiving, but not much. I really prefer the sound/feel of the SC, but I really like the  Nippon Modus shaft that comes in the MMC. I'm torn...lol.

Buy both!!😀

• Like 1

Ping G400 , Titleist 917 3 wood , Ping Anser Hybrids 20,23,27, Wilson Staff MB's 6-PW , Ping Glide Wedges 50,54,58 , Scotty Cameron Newport 3

I love the T200 and the T100s. I need a bit of help on distance and both of these provide that option while also looking amazing at address