Our Sponsors

... Today I have a very simple tip that can have dramatic effects, even in the middle of your round. I have said before that my wife has a tendency to try and lift her shots with an iron, or wedge in her short game.  She subconciously thinks she has to help "lift" the ball into the air. She takes a beautiful practice swing with her weight on her front foot with her rear foot balanced on her toe. Then she  takes her "real swing" and all too often she never shifts her weight to her front foot and ends up with more weight on her back foot, her heel barely getting off the ground because she is falling back and lifting. Obviously this is a mental error as she just took a near perfect practice swing but her brain gets in the way when trying to hit a ball and "lift" it in the air. 

... I am always hesitant to give her swing thoughts in the middle of a round, but yesterday she was a little frustrated because she was really killing it off the tee, leaving herself shorter shots into greens. But then she would hit a poor iron shot, either hitting it fat or thin because she was lifting. I gave her only one thought and that was "freeze your follow thru". The reason players lift is they are concentrating on their shot, not their technique. For better players, thinking about the shot and not the technique is extremely important. But for higher index players, those still learning or just those that struggle with irons shots, the exact opposite is true. Concentrate on the technique and not the shot, because concentrating on the shot is what causes you to help lift the ball in the air. For my wife, the difference was immediate. Shifting her focus to 1) trying to replicate her practice swing while 2) focusing on finishing with her weight on her front foot and her rear foot balanced on her toe. This removed her subconscious thoughts of lifting and replaced them with swinging correctly. 

... Her first few shots were a little forced, willing herself to get her weight on her front foot, but quickly she recognized her shots were going higher and farther and of course she was making better ball contact. She is determined and a hard worker so she kept her focus on her finish, not the shot and had her best ball striking day ever! If you are struggling with hitting the ball off the ground, I would recommend you do the same. Do your very best to replicate your practice swing and FREEZE your finish. The feedback is immediate and most will begin making better contact and hitting better shots. I see many high index players either leaning back thru impact or actually stepping/falling backwards attempting to lift the ball in the air. Freezing your finish will be very helpful and can be a game changer. 

Edited by chisag
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

Driver:   TaylorMade SIM2 Max ... Diamana Limited 60R
Fairway:  Cobra SZ 14.5* ... Atmos Blue TS 7S
Utility:   Callaway Super Hybrid 17*   ... Diamana Limited 65R
               TaylorMade DHy 19* ... Diamana Limited 65R
Irons:    4-Pw Cobra King Tour MIM ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 50* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
                 Mizuno T20 58* ... Nippon 950gh r-flex
Putter:  Cleveland Hunting Beach Soft 11S 33.5"
Ball:      TaylorMade TP5x (2021)

Good tip Chisag - simple and effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

• 3 weeks later...

Ha, I should heed my own advice .. I try to tell my wife to "swing through to a big finish .. and hold it!"

But another great - and understandable and doable - tip .. thanks!!!

Relative to Mrs. Chisag's iron error - which I also still have a tendency to commit - my thought/effort/"feel" is the left arm stiff and straight and extending and the club face driving down and through the ball.

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
..Tour Edge Exotics EXS 3W/HL (17*) and EXS 7W (both Tensei CK Blue)
..Callaway Super Hybrid 23 (PX Catalyst) and Big Bertha 19 5H (Recoil ZTR)
..PXG 0211 6i-GW (Mitsubishi MMT) 
..Cleveland CBX2 54 and CBX 60 (both Rotex graphite)
..Evnroll ER5 (33", 385g, P2 Reflex Tour)
..all in a Datrek bag on a Bag Boy Quad XL push an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart.

Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator