TESTERS WANTED! ×

Best club fitter in Calgary? Or Alberta for that matter?

Hey all,

Does anyone here know of a good club fitter in Calgary? I have been let down at Ted and Dave's, it takes several days to get a response from any of the others I've contacted. It's like they don't care if you use them or not. I get not getting back over the weekend but 4 or 5 days to someone looking to get fit? Or no response at all to a phone message? The customer service is terrible here for some reason. There is a huge opportunity in Calgary for a fitter that gives a s*** about their customers. 

Any suggestions are appreciated guys! I saw this video and it blew away my experience of being fit in the past. This is what I'd like to experience. Starts around 2:30 if you want to skip ahead. 4:08 it gets really good. I'm not saying that he's bang on with everything but no doubt he cares about his customers. I found some of the stuff he is talking about pretty surprising.

Thanks

:titelist-small: 917 D2 - 10.5 

:ping-small: G 5 wood

:ping-small: G 7 wood

:ping-small: G400 4 Hybrid

:ping-small: G400 5 Hybrid

:callaway-small: Apex PW-6I - Recoil shafts

:Hogan: Equalizer SW 

:callaway-small: MacDaddy C Grind 60 Degree Lob Wedge

Tommy Armour Impact #3 Mallet

How were you let down by Ted and Dave’s? Just asking because I am on the verge of booking for an iron fitting there. Doesn’t seem to be many other places in Calgary that can fit you on grass outdoors. 

:ping-small: G425 MAX Driver & 5W

:cobra-small: Baffler Rail-H 3H-4H

:Sub70: 699 Pro Utility V2 - 4i

:callaway-small: APEX CF19 6-AW

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

:edel-golf-1: EAS 2.0

16 hours ago, BMart519 said:

How were you let down by Ted and Dave’s? Just asking because I am on the verge of booking for an iron fitting there. Doesn’t seem to be many other places in Calgary that can fit you on grass outdoors. 

I booked an iron fitting with them. I am relearning the game left handed and just bought a used set earlier in the year. I wanted to see if they were spec'd correctly for me. If not I was open to buying new clubs. They used a lie board which I found out they should never use. (Its thickness changes the ball hight which can change the lie angle) The guy that fit me just had me hit maybe a dozen balls. 20 max. All with the 7i. He said I could use a stiff shaft and that I was standard/standard. That was it. Over in 15 minutes. He didn't get me to try different shafts or clubs at all.

I found out some of my irons were cut down for some reason so they added shims in to get my length back to standard length. When I picked them up they were filthy. They didn't clean off the solvent or glue. For some reason there was grease on them and it got on me. For what I paid at least wipe them down. Then out of the four clubs they added shims to my 6i shim came loose a month later and then my 7i a month after that. Just shoddy work and although they fixed them for free I am not impressed. 

Oh I also asked him if they check all the sets they order in to make sure the loft and lie is correct to the spec ordered and he said no because it would take all day to do as they get about a dozen sets in a day. That is nonsense.

Who is the guy that is doing the fitting? The guy that did mine and the repairs was Kale. Nice guy but no passion at all. I was excited to get fit and I asked him if he loved what he does for a living and he just kind of shrugged. I can guarantee if I had a fitting like the guy in the video I posted did, I would have bought a new set that day.

1 hour ago, KennethK said:

I sent them an e-mail twice in the past year and haven't even gotten a response.

Then it's not just me. Someone needs to open a proper shop here. 

2 hours ago, FromRightToLeft said:

Then it's not just me. Someone needs to open a proper shop here. 

I've had a few random jobs done there - putter loft and lie adjustment, iron head reglued, and a couple grip changes. Usually I drop my stuff off if I happen to be at the range and they call me when it is finished which is a lot better than my experiences at Golf Town.

Had a putter fitting last year in their old location inside the main building at Golf Canada which was around 30 minutes using the PING putting analyzer and visual checks with Robert. Had a one hour putting assessment on a SAM Puttlab this year at a different facility that was pretty consistent with their recommendation. 

Kael is new there and pretty young, I didn't know he did fittings.  I'll make sure I request one of the experienced staff if I go through with a fitting there. But this has definitely given me something to think about. 

I attended a Titleist Thursday event this year at Country Hills and they used a trackman launch monitor to fit during a 45 min time slot that was free. There are a few more sessions in August and September in Calgary you might want to check out. At the very least you could get lie angle and length specs. Probably a good idea about shafts as well. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

I have received good feedback for club building from the shop in the CGY golf dome. The website mentions they have both flightscope and trackman for fitting. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

On 8/12/2019 at 1:43 PM, BMart519 said:

I've had a few random jobs done there - putter loft and lie adjustment, iron head reglued, and a couple grip changes. Usually I drop my stuff off if I happen to be at the range and they call me when it is finished which is a lot better than my experiences at Golf Town.

Had a putter fitting last year in their old location inside the main building at Golf Canada which was around 30 minutes using the PING putting analyzer and visual checks with Robert. Had a one hour putting assessment on a SAM Puttlab this year at a different facility that was pretty consistent with their recommendation. 

Kael is new there and pretty young, I didn't know he did fittings.  I'll make sure I request one of the experienced staff if I go through with a fitting there. But this has definitely given me something to think about. 

I attended a Titleist Thursday event this year at Country Hills and they used a trackman launch monitor to fit during a 45 min time slot that was free. There are a few more sessions in August and September in Calgary you might want to check out. At the very least you could get lie angle and length specs. Probably a good idea about shafts as well. 

Well let us know how it goes please. Kale seemed like a good guy for sure, just not really into what he was doing in my opinion. That's a good idea about the Titleist fitting events.

On 8/12/2019 at 1:50 PM, BMart519 said:

I have received good feedback for club building from the shop in the CGY golf dome. The website mentions they have both flightscope and trackman for fitting. 

Ok, cool that's great to hear. I'll give them a call, thanks.

• 10 months later...
On 6/20/2020 at 9:14 PM, SportsYard said:

Modern Golf is now open in Calgary, Craig Dale is the lead fitter, top talent in the province. Also have a 2nd location for outdoor fitting at Country Hills. 

www.moderngolf.ca 

Really wish they were open last year when I got irons. Excited to see Calgary get a high end facility. I think there is one SAM Puttlab in the metro area for almost 1.5 million people... Definitely an opportunity. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60 

• 1 year later...
On 8/11/2019 at 5:59 PM, BMart519 said:

I know I'm late to the party. I've dealt with Ted and Dave's a couple of times now and their pompas attitudes are unwelcoming. They seem to not care about you as a person and don't seem to care if you're a customer or not. I got irons "fitted" there. The kid doing the fittings didn't take any body measurements. They did sell me the irons I hit the best which is nice but their attitude is sub-par at best. 

On 8/12/2019 at 11:13 AM, FromRightToLeft said:

I booked an iron fitting with them. I am relearning the game left handed and just bought a used set earlier in the year. I wanted to see if they were spec'd correctly for me. If not I was open to buying new clubs. They used a lie board which I found out they should never use. (Its thickness changes the ball hight which can change the lie angle) The guy that fit me just had me hit maybe a dozen balls. 20 max. All with the 7i. He said I could use a stiff shaft and that I was standard/standard. That was it. Over in 15 minutes. He didn't get me to try different shafts or clubs at all.

I found out some of my irons were cut down for some reason so they added shims in to get my length back to standard length. When I picked them up they were filthy. They didn't clean off the solvent or glue. For some reason there was grease on them and it got on me. For what I paid at least wipe them down. Then out of the four clubs they added shims to my 6i shim came loose a month later and then my 7i a month after that. Just shoddy work and although they fixed them for free I am not impressed. 

Oh I also asked him if they check all the sets they order in to make sure the loft and lie is correct to the spec ordered and he said no because it would take all day to do as they get about a dozen sets in a day. That is nonsense.

Who is the guy that is doing the fitting? The guy that did mine and the repairs was Kale. Nice guy but no passion at all. I was excited to get fit and I asked him if he loved what he does for a living and he just kind of shrugged. I can guarantee if I had a fitting like the guy in the video I posted did, I would have bought a new set that day.

I was the same way. Excited to get a fitting and was seriously disappointed in their attitude. No passion and terrible customer relations. Wouldn't recommend Ted and Dave's to anyone. 

13 hours ago, Golfergpc said:

I was the same way. Excited to get a fitting and was seriously disappointed in their attitude. No passion and terrible customer relations. Wouldn't recommend Ted and Dave's to anyone. 

I stopped in at DeBoer's in Edmonton when I was in the area. Best fitting experience I have had in Alberta. They built drivers to my specs I was provided from OEM demo days earlier in the season. Miraculously, the 20 yard gains from the demo day evaporated and the Cobra F9 I fit for myself was tied for top performer with the G425 LST. We then worked through other heads and shafts they thought would work for me. If you don't buy anything they only charge $40/hr for trackman time which is also the cheapest I know of in the province. For $40 I plan on going back this year to compare with new releases and get some launch monitor reps in to see if I can gain anything from different balls. 

They recommended I keep my gamer. When asking if an aftermarket shaft would squeeze anything else out they said "no" as I hit a number of drives within the optimal windows on the Trackman analyzer during my session. 

My buddy got a full bag fitting at Modern Golf in Calgary and thought it was good. With what I have learned about the effect of range balls on fittings, I don't see a reason to go to Ted and Dave's combined with the inexperienced fitting staff there recently. 

INDI Wedges 52, 56, 60