therod

Counter balance shafts anyone?

I am just curious if anyone has played a high balance point shaft in their driver, and what difference it made if any. I am looking at options to try something different in my F7+, and since I have never played a counter balance shaft, I'm curious to try one.

There is a video on the TXG YouTube channel that talks about counter balanced shafts and what they do. Some of the stock shafts in the Ping G400 line have counterbalanced shafts. For me it provides nothing that I notice but I haven’t compared side by side on a launch monitor. If you want to try counter balancing, use some lead tape or get the the boccieri grip for your driver.

https://www.golfworks.com/boccieri-golf-secret-grip/p/bg0001/

Basically it adds weight to the butt end to lighted swingweight when using heavy driver heads. Supposed to make swing more consistent and faster.

I am just curious if anyone has played a high balance point shaft in their driver, and what difference it made if any. I am looking at options to try something different in my F7+, and since I have never played a counter balance shaft, I'm curious to try one.

I feel a MAJOR difference between drivers that have counterbalanced shafts vs ones that don’t. One without feels VERY head-heavy, and I hate that feel! The Kuro Kage I had in a Mizuno Head was not counterbalanced and I had to get rid of the driver just because I hated that really heavy feel. With today’s heads, I have to have counterbalanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2

I know what counter-balancing does, just wondered if anyone had much experience with it. I recently bought a weight kit for my F7+, and put heavy weights in it. I was debating on putting a counter-balanced shaft in it since the head is heavier with the weights in it. I actually ordered a Kuro Kage hbp shaft to try, so we'll see. One way to find out!

Counter balance shaft are great for some people. It typically is not a massive change but a tweak in the swing. IMO smoother swingers with a good transition really do good with this type of shaft. But as we all know, everyone is different and as soon as we say yup this is it for all, someone pops up and says the opposite. 👍

I would think if you added weights to make it heavier and now are looking for more weight in the butt section why not just take the weights out of the head and put back the originals?

• Like 1

I was fitted for a driver last summer and we went through 6 different shafts, 4 regular shafts and 2 CB. The Oban Kiyoshi Black and Tour Limited performed ever so slightly better (i.e. tighter dispersion and better carry consistency) for me than the Oban Kiyoshi HB (CB) shaft. More than anything it was about feel, similar to regular weighted vs counter balanced putters. I didn't like the feel of the HB shaft over the regular weighted shaft. I couldn't feel the club head at the top of the swing and thus my reason to go with the Oban Black. 

I’ve used cb shafts for several years now mostly the hzrdus yellow and ust helium.

the cb shafts make the club feel lighter. I seem to get my best performance in woods from them.

I struggle with CB shafts in my driver. I really like to feel the club head and always shoot for higher swingweights (D8, D9), but I know some people have a lot of success. As always, it's best to go to a fitter and try them out.

My thinking is if I can put a cb shaft in and get a lighter feel, I can then add weight to the sole, getting it back to more of a standard sw and feel, yet get the benefits, even if they are minor, in forgiveness, launch, and spin.

5 hours ago, therod said:

My thinking is if I can put a cb shaft in and get a lighter feel, I can then add weight to the sole, getting it back to more of a standard sw and feel, yet get the benefits, even if they are minor, in forgiveness, launch, and spin.

That’s pretty much what the design of for. It allow those who want to add weight back to do so.

• Like 1

On 8/14/2019 at 6:57 PM, McGolf said:

Counter balance shaft are great for some people. It typically is not a massive change but a tweak in the swing. IMO smoother swingers with a good transition really do good with this type of shaft. But as we all know, everyone is different and as soon as we say yup this is it for all, someone pops up and says the opposite. 👍

... Well said. As a smooth swinger, true counter balanced shafts are pretty much all I play in my drivers. I like a shorter driver 44.25" - 44.5" and a counter balanced shaft allows me to play a heavier head. I have played a Rogue Black Tour 110 for quite a few years and I am now playing the Tensei Orange. Counter balanced shafts provide an excellent combo of feel and added distance thanks to a heavier head. 

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:18 PM, PMookie said:

I feel a MAJOR difference between drivers that have counterbalanced shafts vs ones that don’t. One without feels VERY head-heavy, and I hate that feel! The Kuro Kage I had in a Mizuno Head was not counterbalanced and I had to get rid of the driver just because I hated that really heavy feel. With today’s heads, I have to have counterbalanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I agree with you PMookie. I notice a huge difference. I am playing counterbalanced Tensei CK Orange shafts in my driver 3 wood 3, 4 hybrids now, and I can tell where the club head is throughout my whole swing. This has simply killed any slice or power fade I've had in my swing. I am now hitting draws, and hitting in the center of clubface 95% of the time consistently and getting the club face closed, when coming across the ball for my draw. I have never been able to do this before. I love the feel of the heavier head as well. I'm one of those that although not proven, I can control a heavier feeling club more, but still keep my clubhead swing speed up.