TESTERS WANTED! ×

Scottsdale AZ recommendations please

gkoch207

Hi, 10-12 of us will be heading to Scottsdale towards the end of January 2020.  We're staying about 4-5 miles east of Troon North.  Hoping to keep it within a 30-45 minute drive to all courses. 

We're considering Troon North, Grayhawk, Boulders, Talking Stick, maybe TPC.   Any other recommendations?  

Thanks!

It's been a few years but 36 at troon north needs to happen for your group. Morning round, lunch, afternoon round, beers and golf debrief afterwards. It is worth every penny and both courses are phenomenal. 

Talking Stick is very flat. It's a challenging track but I can't say I remember any specific hole. It's in great shape but it's not mountain golf like a troon north. 

TPC is good but I liked Grayhawk better. I don't know how far it would be but We-Ko-Pa is worth the trip. 

Cobra Connect 5 Competitor - Team Chad

• :cobra-small: King Radspeed 10.5* w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 60 6.5 tipped 1/2" - Peacoat/Red
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Big Tour 3 Wood w/ Hzrdus RDX Blue 70 6.5 Tipped 1/2"
  • :cobra-small: King Radspeed Tour 5 Wood w/ Motore X F1 70 X Flex 
  • :cobra-small: King Utility 4 21* w/ Tensei Pro White 100 X Flex
  • :cobra-small: King Tour MIM Copper Irons 5-G w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :cobra-small: King MIM Black Wedges 55* & 60* w/ AMT White X100 Onyx
  • :taylormade-small: Spider SR
  • :titelist-small: Pro V1x Left Dash
  • Lefty

• 2 weeks later...

Quintero is a fun course to play and is on the Top 100 Public courses list if you're into that. Other than that, your list is pretty good! Can't say enough good things about Troon North! I do feel like playing the Stadium course at TPC is required at least once solely for the Waste Management Open side of things. I always find it awesome when I watch PGA players on courses that I've played and am familiar with. The front 9 is a bit on the unremarkable side, but I did thoroughly enjoy the back 9!

In the Sun Mountain 4.5LS 14-way bag:
Driver: :taylormade-small: M2 10.5° :: Accra FX260
Fairway: :taylormade-small: M5 19° :: Fujikura ATMOS Tour Spec 7X Blue
Hybrid: :titelist-small: TS2 21° :: Mitsubishi Black 80G50
Irons:  :taylormade-small: P790 (5-AW) :: KBS Tour 110
Sand Wedge: :cleveland-small: CBX-2 54° :: KBS Tour 110
Lob Wedge: :cleveland-small: RTX-3 58° :: TT Dynamic Gold
Putter: :cameron-small: Phantom X 5.5
Ball: :titelist-small: AVX

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/14/2019 at 2:26 PM, txgolfjunkie said:

It's been a few years but 36 at troon north needs to happen for your group. Morning round, lunch, afternoon round, beers and golf debrief afterwards. It is worth every penny and both courses are phenomenal. 

Talking Stick is very flat. It's a challenging track but I can't say I remember any specific hole. It's in great shape but it's not mountain golf like a troon north. 

TPC is good but I liked Grayhawk better. I don't know how far it would be but We-Ko-Pa is worth the trip. 

Can't agree with this more.  I spent a full day at Troon North and enjoyed every minute.  

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

Did the trip last November.  Golfed Troon North, Legend Trail, TPC Champions, We-ko-pa and Marriott Palmer.  Loved Troon North and We-ko-pa, had a good time at TPC Champions and Legend Trail, thought Marriott was sort of meh and did not enjoy Eagle Mountain.  You should have a great time regardless of your choices!

Nonchalant putts count the same as chalant putts.

In my Ogio Ozone XX Cart Stand Bag:

Ping G400 10.5 Deg Driver, stock Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz 19 Deg 5 Wood, stock Matrix Osik Stiff shaft
TM Rocketballz Stage 2 21 Deg Tour 4 Hybrid, Rocketfuel 80h Stiff shaft 

Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons, 4-P, Stiff Shafts

Scor 48 and 55 degree wedges.  
Renegar 60 Deg Steel Shaft Lob Wedge

TM Ghost Spider Si 38" Counterbalanced Putter

1 hour ago, jaxbeachpackerfan said:

Did the trip last November.  Golfed Troon North, Legend Trail, TPC Champions, We-ko-pa and Marriott Palmer.  Loved Troon North and We-ko-pa, had a good time at TPC Champions and Legend Trail, thought Marriott was sort of meh and did not enjoy Eagle Mountain.  You should have a great time regardless of your choices!

The Palmer course at the JW Marriott will never be meh for me.  I shot my PB 69 there!!!!!

I actually like the Greg Norman course at the Marriott better though.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I have played Boulders,Troon North and Talking stick, I’d rate them as follows: Troon, Boulders (This is a GREAT COURSE) and then Talking Stick.

Played We-Ko-Pa as well (personally I think this is a must play) and thought it was good. Kierland golf course was also pretty good.

HAVE FUN!

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Driver:  :titelist-small: TSi3 Tester Check out the Review HERE

2-Iron- :Sub70: 699-U

5-Wood:  :Sub70: Pro (18*) 

Irons :  :ping-small: i210 4-PW

Wedges:  :cleveland-small:  RTX-4 50* and 54* RTX-3 *58

Putter::1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact No. 3

Ball:  MAXFLI TOUR 

Tracked by: :Arccos:  

Bag: BagBoy ZTF Stand Bag (REVIEW HERE)

Quintero is a fun course to play and is on the Top 100 Public courses list if you're into that. Other than that, your list is pretty good! Can't say enough good things about Troon North! I do feel like playing the Stadium course at TPC is required at least once solely for the Waste Management Open side of things. I always find it awesome when I watch PGA players on courses that I've played and am familiar with. The front 9 is a bit on the unremarkable side, but I did thoroughly enjoy the back 9!
Quintero is a MUST!!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 (8*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Fairway:   :ping-small: G400 (14.5*) with Diamana Kai'li X-stiff

Irons: :ping-small: Crossover 3 iron (19*) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shaft

:titelist-small: AP3 (4/5) and AP2 (6-PW) with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Wedges: Scor 50*, 54*, and 58* with TT Dynamic Gold 120 S400 shafts

Putter:  :cameron-small: Pro Platinum Newport 2 Midslant

Handicap: 3

Location: Illinois...until i can get my wife to move to a warmer climate

Right Handed: Although sometimes I wonder if left handed would suit me better :blink: