TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Cleveland RTX 4 Wedges

Golfspy_CG2

12 hours ago, PMookie said:

I hit these at my wedge fitting, and if they could’ve come down 20-30 feet, I’d have bought them. They were great feeling, nice dispersion, but boy, they went SO high. I liked these a HUNDRED times more than the RTX-3!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The launch angle was, and is still, my biggest complaint with these wedges.  However, they're consistent.  They may not send the ball through my preferred window, but they just seem to work.  Like I said, it was simple consistency that made me end up putting these back in the bag.  TBH, I was ready for the review to be over so I could put my Vokey's back in. 

The tinkerer in me said no, don't give up on them yet.  I played 9 yesterday evening and shot 38.  Had one birdie and 3 bogeys.  The 3 bogeys were not the fault of the wedges.  My putter was the cause of each.  I missed an 8' par sand save putt, a 4' par putt after a great chip to get that close, and a 3 putt on a par 5 to close.

• PXG 0811X Gen 4 7.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD-HD 7 TX
  • TaylorMade M6 15* - PX HZRDUS Green 80 TX
  • Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Srixon Z745 4-P - PX LZ 7.0
  • Vokey SM7 49F / 53F / 58K - DG TI S400
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

• 1 month later...

Hey everyone! I recently joined the RTX 4 family changing from my SM6 50 8 bounce F grind, 54 10 bounce S grind, and 58 12 bounce K grind. My set composition is 50 and 54 mid and 58 full. I’m torn whether or not to get my 58 in mid rather than full? They’re pretty much the same with the mid making it easier to open the face. I’m trying to get some feedback from the group whether or not it’s advisable. The courses I play at are moderately firm as well as their traps. I love the s400 shaft but if I ever were to change, what shaft option would you pick and why? Thanks everyone! I appreciate any feedback!

Edited by PingMD702
Typo

Driver: Titleist TSr3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x D1/Neutral setting (RH)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr2 16.5 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

7 Wood: Titleist TSr2 21 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

5 Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 24 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 8x B2 setting (RH)

Irons: 2023 Titleist Black T100 5-PW AMT White S300 Onyx (RH)

Wedges: 2023 Titleist Black T100 50 AMT White S300 Onyx, Titleist SM9 Premium Jet Black 54D/12 bounce, 58M/8 bounce BGT ZNE 130 wedge shafts (RH)

Putter: Bettinardi Wizard Inovai 8.0 Custom with Stability Shaft Tour Black

Ball: 2022 Titleist ProV1x (yellow)

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/4/2019 at 12:28 AM, PingMD702 said:

Hey everyone! I recently joined the RTX 4 family changing from my SM6 50 8 bounce F grind, 54 10 bounce S grind, and 58 12 bounce K grind. My set composition is 50 and 54 mid and 58 full. I’m torn whether or not to get my 58 in mid rather than full? They’re pretty much the same with the mid making it easier to open the face. I’m trying to get some feedback from the group whether or not it’s advisable. The courses I play at are moderately firm as well as their traps. I love the s400 shaft but if I ever were to change, what shaft option would you pick and why? Thanks everyone! I appreciate any feedback!

I hope you enjoy your RTX 4's!  If you're second guessing your grind in the 58*, the first thing I would do is to look at the K grind you had with Vokey.  Is there anything that you didn't like about that grind?  Did you feel that you weren't able to make the shots that you wanted to do around the green?  The grinds are all about what you want to be able to do around the greens and how you enter the turf.  If you're still second guessing after that, I'd go to a Titleist Thursday to get fit.  You can use their recommendations and just translate them into Cleveland's grinds.  

The same thing goes with the shaft.  Is your flight not what you wanted?  Do you need more spin?  I currently play the DG X100's in my irons, and will be switching to the $ Taper X 130's when I get new irons.  I like playing a softer shaft than my irons because a lot of my wedge shots are touch shots.  I'm not always doing a full out swing with them.  I wouldn't be changing out my wedge shaft unless I'm not getting the performance I need.  If that is the case, I'll go in to get fit.

Driver: Callaway Rogue ST Max
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – 5i: Taylormade P790
6i – AW: Taylormade P770
SW: Taylormade MG3 TW Grind
LW: Taylormade Hi-Toe 3 Low Bounce
Putter: PXG Battle Ready One & Done

On 12/4/2019 at 12:28 AM, PingMD702 said:

I’m a big fan of the KBS 610.  Had them in my previous wedges and really liked their performance.  Lowered the launch and cut enough spin to where my approaches usually stuck where they landed rather than backing up.  I had thought about swapping them in these RTX4s but after sticking with the S400, I’m pretty happy.  They get a little too spinny if I ever try to step on the gas, but I don’t really play that way, I’ll just take an stronger club and flight it.

• Titleist 913 Fd 18* - MCA KuroKage XMS 90 X /// OR /// Callaway XForged UT 20* - Aldila Rogue Black 105 TX
  • Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

I’m a big fan of the KBS 610.  Had them in my previous wedges and really liked their performance.  Lowered the launch and cut enough spin to where my approaches usually stuck where they landed rather than backing up.  I had thought about swapping them in these RTX4s but after sticking with the S400, I’m pretty happy.  They get a little too spinny if I ever try to step on the gas, but I don’t really play that way, I’ll just take an stronger club and flight it.

How were the KBS 610 on the shorter, touch shots? I liked the overall weight and balance of it, but I hit a lot of half wedge shots and I was wondering if the shaft responds well in those situations.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/MGS Motore X F1 7X tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

On half shots they still put enough spin to where there wasn’t a ton of rollout.  I never had any issues and the slightly larger size keeps from getting too active with your hands on those shots.

• Odyssey Black #3 34”
  • Titleist AVX

• 2 weeks later...

I am going to use my PGA store playability in order to switch out my RTX 4 54/mid and 58/mid for 56/full and 60/mid. I just wanted to get some input from everyone to see if going full and mid respectively or should I just stick mid all across the board? I plan on bending the 56 to 55 in order to keep my 5 degree gapping from PW-LW. Thanks everyone! 

Driver: Titleist TSr3 10 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue TR Velocore 6x D1/Neutral setting (RH)

4 Wood: Titleist TSr2 16.5 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

7 Wood: Titleist TSr2 21 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 7x D1 setting (RH)

5 Hybrid: Titleist TSr2 24 Degree Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 8x B2 setting (RH)

Wedges: 2023 Titleist Black T100 50 AMT White S300 Onyx, Titleist SM9 Premium Jet Black 54D/12 bounce, 58M/8 bounce BGT ZNE 130 wedge shafts (RH)

On 1/9/2020 at 2:43 AM, PingMD702 said:

I am going to use my PGA store playability in order to switch out my RTX 4 54/mid and 58/mid for 56/full and 60/mid. I just wanted to get some input from everyone to see if going full and mid respectively or should I just stick mid all across the board? I plan on bending the 56 to 55 in order to keep my 5 degree gapping from PW-LW. Thanks everyone! 

I'm actually a fan of lower bounces hence why I loved the X-Low at 3*.  I would look to see what type of conditions you play in, your divots, and how you plan to use the wedge.  If you're a digger and don't plan on opening up the face, or need a little extra help in the bunkers because they are fluffy, then I would go full grind.  If you will open it up around the green at all, definitely go mid.

10 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

I'm actually a fan of lower bounces hence why I loved the X-Low at 3*.  I would look to see what type of conditions you play in, your divots, and how you plan to use the wedge.  If you're a digger and don't plan on opening up the face, or need a little extra help in the bunkers because they are fluffy, then I would go full grind.  If you will open it up around the green at all, definitely go mid.

I live in Las Vegas and our course conditions are mainly firm for both fairways and bunkers. I use my 60 most of the time for green side bunkers and shots as well as open faced shots. I am definitely a digger and my divots show it haha. That’s why I am considering going 56 full and 60 mid. I’m coming from SM6s where I was playing 54 10 bounce S grind and 58 12 bounce K grind if that helps. Thanks for the response!!

13 hours ago, PingMD702 said:

I live in Las Vegas and our course conditions are mainly firm for both fairways and bunkers. I use my 60 most of the time for green side bunkers and shots as well as open faced shots. I am definitely a digger and my divots show it haha. That’s why I am considering going 56 full and 60 mid. I’m coming from SM6s where I was playing 54 10 bounce S grind and 58 12 bounce K grind if that helps. Thanks for the response!!

You can always look to see if there's a Titleist Thursday near you!  They can do a wedge fitting for free and then you can take their recommendations and convert them over to cleveland's specs

• 4 months later...
On 8/14/2019 at 1:26 PM, MDGolfHacker said:

Stage Two - The Review: September 22, 2019

Cleveland Golf RTX 4 Tour Satin Wedges – Official MGS Forum Review by MDGolfHacker

Intro

Continuing on from my initial stage 1 review, I have plenty to say about the RTX 4 wedges by Cleveland Golf, and all of it good!  You know the worth of a club when all you can think about is practicing with it and getting out on the course to use it!

Prior to the RTX 4 wedges, my short game wedge play could be described as defensive – hoping and praying that I would get a chip just somewhere on the green close enough to maybe save a par or bogey.  Since the RTX 4’s went into the bag, I expect not only to get the ball close to the hole, but to actually hole the chip for a bird or no worse than par!  The RTX 4 has changed my short game from being defensive in nature to an offensive tool to score with!

Looks (10 out of 10 points) looks.gif.f7e61cad75c707834285faaa6bf53f92.gif

The Cleveland RTX 4 has a classic blade wedge shape comparable to other leading wedges from Titleist, Callaway or Taylormade. The graphics are understated and tasteful.  No loud colors on the face or back of the RTX 4.  The tour satin took some of the shine off when addressing the club during sunny days.  There still is some sun reflection from the face, but a lot less than a chromed face.

The feature that visually stands out compared to other wedges is the additional rotex millings on the entire toe portion of the face.  Sadly, I did test out those millings with a few less than perfect chips and saw a little less control which resulted in longer roll outs.  While not ideal, the putt would have been on the farther side of the makeable range.

After quite a few practice 9 hole rounds and practice sessions hitting chip and full shots, the bottom surface on the 56* wedge looks brand new.  The 56* has been my go to club for every shot within 70 yards of the green so it has been heavily used.  The 52* wedge, was used quite a bit less, but under more questionable surface areas (yeah, small rocky substrate).  I hit into a rock and it dinged the surface.  Pretty sure hardened diamond would of scratched too, LOL.

Sound & Feel (9 out of 10 points)giphy-downsized.gif.96ac34e69c8f71119947c38a07188b09.gif

When I first picked the club up, I noticed that it felt heavier than the Cobra F8 one length wedges I had in the bag.  The heavier weight felt better to swing and allowed the club to travel through the grass and rough a bit easier.  The standard golf pride tour velvet grips felt great offering excellent grip on hot days. 

When chipping, the face had excellent feel and the sound was a muted crisp strike – similar to the sound of hitting a garage door opener button that came with the garage door opener.  Compared to my previous wedges, the RTX 4’s face has the right amount of firmness to not be overly harsh. I exclusively use Srixon Z*Star balls this year and the combination of the Z*Stars with the RTX 4 wedges made this a match made in heaven. On those off-center chips I hit (and I still hit a few, LOL), I didn’t notice too much of a loss in control or distance unless it was hit much further out on the toe.  The sound and impact did not take my focus away during chipping but seemed to enhance it as I am able to tell right away if it was a center strike or a bit off-center.

Basic Characteristics (19 out of 20 points) awsome.gif.9d33db0d00f996a58b08d29f7184bdd1.gif

Due to growing family commitments, the only golfing I’ve been able to squeeze in is a weekly 9 hole men’s league and my short game chipping practice time was almost non-existent, but after my initial practice session with the RTX 4 wedges, I actually have increased my practice sessions to a minimum of 3 times a week between 30 minutes to an hour – just because I really have enjoyed honing my short game with the RTX 4 wedges.

Here is the result of the first 4 balls during an impromptu chipping session I had last week with the RTX 4 56* wedge:

IMG_20190919_151207.png.2c556112e7121d326e5c4d8690f95f71.png

Swinging the RTX 4 wedges felt really good and a natural extension of my arm.  The D5 swing weight allowed me to feel where the head was in the swing.

During these practice sessions, I usually hit between 80-100 chip shots.  To simulate actual course play, I would vary the distances by tossing out 6 golf balls and playing it where it lied – which at times were in divots, buried in deep rough or hanging on a slightly up-hill/downhill dirt mound.  Each time, the RTX 4 performed very consistently with the wedge able to handle those lies and still have the expected trajectory and distance.

The RTX 4 gave me such confidence, that I started to practice not only distance control, but also trajectory control.  Using previous wedges, trajectory control wasn’t a thought.  It was one trajectory with the objective of getting the ball somewhere on the green.  With the RTX 4, if I wanted to hit low shots into a green that had some check the RTX 4 delivered. If I wanted to hit a high shot that landed soft with no rollout, the RTX 4 delivered.  If I wanted to hit a bladed shot that still managed to stay on the green, yup the RTX 4 delivered, LOL.

I was able to also hit landing areas accurately and consistently with the RTX 4 wedges.  During my practice sessions, it wasn’t uncommon for me to group balls around the hole and to hole out a few as well. You could put a beach towel across all the balls.  My previous wedges, you would of need a large tarp to cover the ball around the hole.

The RTX 4 was like being on cruise control when chipping.  Control of the ball was automatic with little though needed.  All I had to do what think of what I wanted the ball to do and the RTX 4 read my mind…should I be worried about this ?  LOL  ha haha

On-Course Performance ( 29 out of 30 points)aesome.gif.72c5ed80846a54c348235d2b7fd602e9.gif

As we all know, course performance usually differ from practice.  I can happily say that the course performance was close to how I practiced.  I’m getting the ball closer to the hole and getting better chances to hole out the ball with the RTX 4 wedges.

I don’t have to worry about thinking on how to use the built in technology of the RTX 4 wedge or how to adjust my swing to maximize the bounce of the RTX 4…it just works!  I can be much more aggressive with approaches and chips and really think of par or birdie instead of bogey or double when the RTX 4 is in my hands.  The only thing I need to think about is how far I want to hit it and the type of shot I want to execute!

I didn’t find any glaring negatives about the RTX 4 nor did I think there was anything else Cleveland could of added to improve the RTX 4.  The RTX 4 has been the best wedge I’ve used in a long time.  It has definitely dropped my score a few strokes.  I have used Cleveland irons and wedges in the past, but this has been one of the best experiences with the wedges from Cleveland.

Miscellaneous (10 out of 10 points)

There isn’t much to add that hasn’t been previously addressed.  The RTX 4’s came well wrapped and there wasn’t a flaw on the clubs when they arrived.The surface has held up well as has the bounce area.  Here's a photo of the two RTX 4 wedges I have.  I have practiced with the 56* wedge and hit at least 1500 balls.  It still looks brand new on the sole.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190829134119679_COVER.png.2f3bb9367e12e9ecf2e1ad2fbbcfa8de.png

The 52

The 52* wedge has gone through  250-300 balls, but the sole damage was actually caused by a hidden rock while I was trying to hit a punch out shot due to a wayward tee shot 😞   On a good note, hitting the rock wasn't as jarring as I thought it would be, LOL.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190829134221396_COVER.png.61ecffc20b7c4ef80c901687d66a3ef4.png

Golfspy Rob has commented on how my chipping and approach shot with these wedges has come a long way.

Play it or Trade it? (20 out of 20 points)dead.gif.6d48b2624a7f21c8e71f38c1fbdd81ef.gif

The RTX 4 wedges have earned a permanent spot in my bag.  It feels great during the swing, performs so well that it’s helping me shoot lower scores, and makes my short game practice enjoyable.  While they are not the cheapest wedges in the market, they are competitively priced with other manufacturers.

The RTX 4 wedge can be played by a golfers of all skill levels.  There is enough technology built into the club to be forgiving enough to potentially be played by a higher handicap player.  Scratch players can also benefit from RTX 4.  I’m a mid-handicap golfer and with continued use of the RTX 4, hope to get back to single digits.

Conclusion

I don’t want to sound like a late nigh infomercial, but buy this club!  Your game will be better for it!  Cleveland got it perfect when they made the RTX 4 wedge.  From the great feel to the performance to control the ball and shoot those lower scores, you can’t go wrong with this club!  There isn’t anything that stands out that I would consider a negative about this club!

Final Score: 97/100    money.gif.cf7749001101ebe6e7eeb766aaad3448.gif

I picked up a 56 degree last week and liked it so much I'm going back and grab a 50.  I enjoyed your review!

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

17 hours ago, ole gray said:

I picked up a 56 degree last week and liked it so much I'm going back and grab a 50.  I enjoyed your review!

Ole Gray -

I just played in a 54 hole tourney this past Monday.  I had very, very few highlights and too dang many lowlights, but one of the highlights were the RTX 4 wedges. It saved my butt a few times.  Here's a photo of an approach shot with the 52* wedge and a chip shot I had on hole 18.  Most of the time I'm just happy that I'm dancing, but with the RTX 4 wedges, I'm doing the Tango 😄 ha ha ha... These have earned a permanent spot in my bag for the foreseeable future!

IMG_20200608_095148.jpg.9ffda85d3d444f22d87e3052f03f8ef5.jpg

1798483793_IMG_20200608_113643_01(1).jpg.774c5a75b4bcd5b4d367d3804847778d.jpg

MDGolfHacker 

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

8 hours ago, MDGolfHacker said:

Ole Gray -

I just played in a 54 hole tourney this past Monday.  I had very, very few highlights and too dang many lowlights, but one of the highlights were the RTX 4 wedges. It saved my butt a few times.  Here's a photo of an approach shot with the 52* wedge and a chip shot I had on hole 18.  Most of the time I'm just happy that I'm dancing, but with the RTX 4 wedges, I'm doing the Tango 😄 ha ha ha... These have earned a permanent spot in my bag for the foreseeable future!

IMG_20200608_095148.jpg.9ffda85d3d444f22d87e3052f03f8ef5.jpg

1798483793_IMG_20200608_113643_01(1).jpg.774c5a75b4bcd5b4d367d3804847778d.jpg

MDGolfHacker 

Well done partner! 

Cleveland

I posted earlier about how much I have enjoyed the 56 and let me tell ya folks, the 50 is sweeter and smoother that my Aunt Gertrude's hot peach pie smothered with vanilla ice cream ...  Tell ya the truth, I use to be a big butt man but after gaming the RTX4s, I'm going with the skinny butt wedges.  

Cleveland

4 minutes ago, ole gray said:

I posted earlier about how much I have enjoyed the 56 and let me tell ya folks, the 50 is sweeter and smoother that my Aunt Gertrude's hot peach pie smothered with vanilla ice cream ...  Tell ya the truth, I use to be a big butt man but after gaming the RTX4s, I'm going with the skinny butt wedges.  

The RTX 4 wedges are really great wedges!  Underrated IMHO.  Even better now that their price has dropped to $99!

MDGolfHacker

TSssWhat's In This Lefty's Bag?

Driver: :titleist-small: TSR2 11° Project X HZRDUS Black 4G 60g 5.5 Flex

Fairway Woods: :cobra-small: F8 3W Project X Even Flow Blue 75g shaft

Fairway Woods: 

Hybrid: :titelist-small: TSR2  18° Graphite Design Tour AD DI-85 Shaft

Irons: :titelist-small: 2021 T200's 4-GW AMT RED shafts Regular Flex

Wedge: :cleveland-small: Tour Satin RTX 4 Wedges in 52° and 56° 2 Dot

Putter: :nevercompromise-small: Gray Matter TDP 2.2 32.75"

Bag: :1590477705_SunMountain: Three 5

Ball:  :titelist-small:  PRO V1 / :srixon-small: Z*Star

RangeFinder:918457628_PrecisionPro: In search of new range finder

Social Media:

Facebook:   MD Golfhacker
Twitter:        @mdgolfhacker
Instagram:   mdgolfhacker

4 minutes ago, MDGolfHacker said:

The RTX 4 wedges are really great wedges!  Underrated IMHO.  Even better now that their price has dropped to $99!

MDGolfHacker

Yea folks better not overlook these puppies as they bark like a big dog!

Cleveland