Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Cleveland RTX 4 Wedges

10 hours ago, PMookie said:

A couple years back, I was fortunate enough to get chosen by MGS to review the new RTX. Two things I couldn’t get over were the REALLY long hosel, and what looked like a LOT of offset. From one of your pics, it looks like the hosel is still long. I sure hope the offset has been decreased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hosel length is the same as my SM7 and offset is visibly similar as well.  What tricks the eye with the hosel length is the ferrule.  Not gonna lie, but if these do stay in my bag I’ll pull the heads and put a shorter, all black ferrule on.

• Like 3

Me too. Just last year.

Me too and it was my fault

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

When I test wedges around the greens, I want to put the ball in the worst position possible.  Any wedge out there can get a ball out of a perfect lie.  The thing I feel like makes or breaks a wedge is does it give you confidence in the worst of situations.  Here's an example of what I'm talking about.  FYI this green is sloped away from me. 

1413332679_BuriedBall.jpg.e5df5fbe21158ad7c7dd41bb75e4cda3.jpg

20190803_135420_LI.jpg.195bfb66add85b51eb0e41c98bf381de.jpg

Edited by goaliewales14
  • Like 3

When I test wedges around the greens, I want to put the ball in the worst position possible.  Any wedge out there can get a ball out of a perfect lie.  The thing I feel like makes or breaks a wedge is does it give you confidence in the worst of situations.  Here's an example of what I'm talking about.  FYI this green is sloped away from me. 
1413332679_BuriedBall.jpg.e5df5fbe21158ad7c7dd41bb75e4cda3.jpg
20190803_135420_LI.jpg.195bfb66add85b51eb0e41c98bf381de.jpg

Good luck with that one with any wedge as well. :)

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, revkev said:

Good luck with that one with any wedge as well. 🙂

Believe it or not, I was able to dig that one out and keep it on the green.  

• Like 3

Whew, I had a rough weekend.  VBS at church all last week so Saturday was spent getting my yard back in shape.  If this week holds up, I should have multiple opportunities to get some more work in with these RTX4s.  Any thing in particular you'd like to see tested?

• Like 4

Whew, I had a rough weekend.  VBS at church all last week so Saturday was spent getting my yard back in shape.  If this week holds up, I should have multiple opportunities to get some more work in with these RTX4s.  Any thing in particular you'd like to see tested?

Yeah what VBS did you use? :)

• Like 1

Yeah what VBS did you use? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

30 minutes ago, revkev said:

Yeah what VBS did you use? 🙂

We used this one...it was pretty good.  Seems every church in the area goes with Lifeway and we wanted to give the kids a different experience since a good many attend multiple VBS programs.

Had a little fun tonight.  Thought it'd be good to show the turf interaction of the 54* and how well the XLow can flop off a tight lie

Of course, @PMookie as promised

886586968_20190821_173143(2).jpg.59d883817cc65ea7485eb29ba5eff6f6.jpg

• Like 3

We used this one...it was pretty good.  Seems every church in the area goes with Lifeway and we wanted to give the kids a different experience since a good many attend multiple VBS programs.

They’d make me dress up like the donkey for certain - type casting. :)

Thanks - back to golf.

@Goaliewhales you and I practice similarly around the green - I like random shots that simulate real play. I think I could have gotten that lie which you pictured earlier on the green -I thought you meant up and down. That would be pretty tough.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, revkev said:

I thought you meant up and down. That would be pretty tough.

Yeah up and down....only if my putter continues to stay on 🔥 like it has for the past few rounds.  The front 9 I played a week ago, I had 13 putts.  Granted a lot of those were due to how close these wedges were getting me, but there were a few that I drained from long range.

• Like 3

Going to be doing more testing this weekend, is there anything anyone would like to get feedback on these wedges on?

A quick update on my testing of the Cleveland RTX 4 wedges.  Went out after work yesterday and practiced a few chip shots from just off the green in medium deep rough (with a few bare/crab grass lies thrown in too, LOL). I was above and left of the hole leaving a downhill right to left breaker (sure, I made it a little harder than normal because I'm usually lucky enough to get these types of chips out on the course...🙂😂).  Hit 50 balls, holed out 4 (man the RTX 4 made me look like I knew what I was doing to the other golfer out there practicing 😂🤣) - hit 24 within two feet or closer, 18 were within 10 feet and the other 4 were skulled🤦‍♂️.  Practiced with only the 56*, 2 dot wedge exclusively this go around.  Control was phenomenal with enough check to slow the ball down and have it roll down and left to the hole.  Hit my landing spot almost everytime.  Great, great wedge!  Towards the end of my quick practice session, I started working on trajectory control to see what I could do with the wedges.  I was able to hit SOME high flops, low spinners, and medium trajectory shots that hopped and had a little roll out ( with a few shanks in there to keep me humble... I am not a wedge wizard, but with the RTX 4's in the bag, I'm getting much closer to being one 😀).

Feel free to ask me questions about these Cleveland RTX 4 wedges!

MDGolfHacker

• Like 6

On 8/21/2019 at 3:43 PM, goaliewales14 said:

Had a little fun tonight.  Thought it'd be good to show the turf interaction of the 54* and how well the XLow can flop off a tight lie

Of course, @PMookie as promised

886586968_20190821_173143(2).jpg.59d883817cc65ea7485eb29ba5eff6f6.jpg

What are you using to record? Very sharp!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, yungkory said:

What are you using to record? Very sharp!

It's actually my Samsung Note 9!

13 hours ago, MDGolfHacker said:

A quick update on my testing of the Cleveland RTX 4 wedges.  Went out after work yesterday and practiced a few chip shots from just off the green in medium deep rough (with a few bare/crab grass lies thrown in too, LOL). I was above and left of the hole leaving a downhill right to left breaker (sure, I made it a little harder than normal because I'm usually lucky enough to get these types of chips out on the course...🙂😂).  Hit 50 balls, holed out 4 (man the RTX 4 made me look like I knew what I was doing to the other golfer out there practicing 😂🤣) - hit 24 within two feet or closer, 18 were within 10 feet and the other 4 were skulled🤦‍♂️.  Practiced with only the 56*, 2 dot wedge exclusively this go around.  Control was phenomenal with enough check to slow the ball down and have it roll down and left to the hole.  Hit my landing spot almost everytime.  Great, great wedge!  Towards the end of my quick practice session, I started working on trajectory control to see what I could do with the wedges.  I was able to hit SOME high flops, low spinners, and medium trajectory shots that hopped and had a little roll out ( with a few shanks in there to keep me humble... I am not a wedge wizard, but with the RTX 4's in the bag, I'm getting much closer to being one 😀).

Feel free to ask me questions about these Cleveland RTX 4 wedges!

MDGolfHacker

To give this wedge a bit of validity, I'm going to chime in here as an observer.

I've played golf with MDGolfHcker for probably close to 15 years now.   Wedge play has always been the weakest part of his game--I don't think he'll mind me saying that---there's plenty of shortfalls in my game---that he can pick on.    

During his time with the RTX his swing/style of play has not altered.  But I've seen him hit some wedge shots that just he's has never hit on a consistent basis.  Sure we all get those great shots now and then, that make us think we know what we're doing.   But as a mid handicapper,---He drives the ball very well and has a very solid iron game-- but the results of his green-side wedge play has improved dramatically.  He has a legitimate chance of getting most any green-side shot within 5 feet now.   

He hasn't hit many bunkers in the past month--and that's another area he has struggled with, but I only recall one hole in the last 4 rounds of so since he's had these wedges where he hit less than an acceptable bunker shot. 

They really are helping his game, and doing everything that Cleveland advertisers them to do. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

To give this wedge a bit of validity, I'm going to chime in here as an observer.

I've played golf with MDGolfHcker for probably close to 15 years now.   Wedge play has always been the weakest part of his game--I don't think he'll mind me saying that---there's plenty of shortfalls in my game---that he can pick on.    

During his time with the RTX his swing/style of play has not altered.  But I've seen him hit some wedge shots that just he's has never hit on a consistent basis.  Sure we all get those great shots now and then, that make us think we know what we're doing.   But as a mid handicapper,---He drives the ball very well and has a very solid iron game-- but the results of his green-side wedge play has improved dramatically.  He has a legitimate chance of getting most any green-side shot within 5 feet now.   

He hasn't hit many bunkers in the past month--and that's another area he has struggled with, but I only recall one hole in the last 4 rounds of so since he's had these wedges where he hit less than an acceptable bunker shot. 

They really are helping his game, and doing everything that Cleveland advertisers them to do. 

Thanks for the compliments!  The Cleveland RTX 4 wedges inspire a level of confidence I've never really had with the other wedges I've owned throughout the years. From my first chip, I knew these wedges were going to do what Cleveland said they would do! I no longer fear those greenside chips or the wedge approach shots; in fact, those shots are now offensive scoring weapons for me 😁.

MDGolfHacker

• Like 5

Just wanted to give a quick update.  I played in a 2-man best ball 9-hole tournament the end of last week.  The 8th hole was a par 5 that I needed to lay out after my tee shot hit a fairway bunker.  Laid up to 107 yards which I thought would be perfect for my 54*.  I stuck it to 4 feet underneath the hole!!  Absolutely 0 roll out.  Drained the birdie putt to put us +1 through 8!  

• Like 4

Played one of the worst rounds, I've ever had. That being said the wedges were the only thing working. On 9th hole I had a putt roll about 6 feet off the green, chipped in!

• Like 5