Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Cleveland RTX 4 Wedges

39 minutes ago, Apes44 said:

Played one of the worst rounds, I've ever had. That being said the wedges were the only thing working. On 9th hole I had a putt roll about 6 feet off the green, chipped in!

Gotta love those chip in's!  RTX4 Magic!

MDGolfHacker

I got out over the weekend and here's what I can say after some further testing...

1 - These things spin!  Really taking some time getting use to the RTX4 when chipping around the green because they spin a considerable amount more than my SM7s.  The ball checks much harder than before and I find myself leaving these shots short of the hole.  This isn't always a bad thing, but gauging chip and run shots are taking some adjustments.

2 - I never could duplicate the gash in the ball from a sand shot that I mentioned in my initial impressions.

3 - Chips off the toe offer no difference in spin vs my SM7s.  Some had asked about the milling pattern on the toe and if it would affect spin.  My answer to this is, as expected, that it's not noticeable.

4 - The RTX4 52 mid is not quite as easy to flight the ball vs  my SM7 51F (it's a 50 bent 1* weak).

• Like 3

Played an impromptu 18 this morning.  Couldn't hit an approach shot to save my life and the putter  had AHD (anti-hole disease🤦‍♂️).  Even with less then good strikes with the RTX4's, they managed to minimize my mistakes).  For example, I bladed a 90 yard approach, which still managed to check up before running into the fringe.  With any other wedge, I would of been a few yards further into the rough.  Impressive considering some of the ugliest wedge approaches I hit today.

MDGolfHacker

• Like 5

I may or may not have just ordered some RTX 4's 🙂

• Like 7

I may or may not have just ordered some RTX 4's

that's incredible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, yungkory said:

You WILL NOT be disappointed!

MDGolfHacker

• Like 1

I have a set of 50, 54 and 60 in this set as well.   These replaced my Vokeys earlier this summer and I couldn’t be happier with them.  

The 54 has become my most dependable weapon in my bag.   From about 115 and in this wedge is Awesome.  

I have the Mid Bounce on my 50 & 54 and Full Grind on my 60 to replace my old Vokey K grind.     I am going to try and follow along and answer any and all questions in addition to the reviewers in this thread.  

Best!!

• Like 3

10 hours ago, yungkory said:

Which grinds and finish?!

1 hour ago, goaliewales14 said:

Which grinds and finish?!

All mid grinds, black

2 minutes ago, yungkory said:

All mid grinds, black

Curious on how the finish holds up. I have the raw finish, and I really like them but there are times that the face blinds me with reflection. 

Just now, THEZIPR23 said:

Curious on how the finish holds up. I have the raw finish, and I really like them but there are times that the face blinds me with reflection. 

Yikes, hope that's not the case with these. I struggled with the same thing on my ER2. Literally couldn't look at it without sunglasses on during certain times of the day, and I don't like putting with my sunglasses on.

18 hours ago, THEZIPR23 said:

So far so good, my 52* was used in the sand a good bit this weekend and there is a little wear on the bottom of the sole, but nothing major. 

• Like 1

I'll snap some pics later this evening of the wear.  It's starting to show but compared to the jet black SM7s, it's holding up much better.  Completely different finishes, but it does seem a bit more durable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Apes44 said:

So far so good, my 52* was used in the sand a good bit this weekend and there is a little wear on the bottom of the sole, but nothing major. 

3 hours ago, Smellis745 said:

I'll snap some pics later this evening of the wear.  It's starting to show but compared to the jet black SM7s, it's holding up much better.  Completely different finishes, but it does seem a bit more durable.

Cool, Thanks Guys. Love the wedges but the reflection is brutal at times. Are you both testing the black?

8 minutes ago, THEZIPR23 said:

Cool, Thanks Guys. Love the wedges but the reflection is brutal at times. Are you both testing the black?

I am 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Apes44 said:

I am 

@Thezipr23, I went with the tour satin since the choices for loft and bounce for lefties were much more limited with the black and rust finishes.  I will say that I played this past Monday which was pretty sunny and the tour satin, while no where near had the glare that a chrome finish would have, still has some reflection coming back on you.  Enough to make me squint a little bit.

MDGolfHacker

• Like 2

I have the Raw Version.   If I get a chance to I will grab a picture of them tomorrow. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, MDGolfHacker said:

I will say that I played this past Monday which was pretty sunny and the tour satin, while no where near had the glare that a chrome finish would have, still has some reflection coming back on you.  Enough to make me squint a little bit.

I definitely agree with this!  I am testing the tour satin as well and there's a little bit, but nothing major at all.

Also, all of us have been talking about how much these wedges spin.  I'm going to run to a launch monitor tonight, so check back in for some numbers!!!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

I definitely agree with this!  I am testing the tour satin as well and there's a little bit, but nothing major at all.

Also, all of us have been talking about how much these wedges spin.  I'm going to run to a launch monitor tonight, so check back in for some numbers!!!

Im going for a half hour thanks to my local golftec on satuday. So I'm interested in comparing #'s

• Like 1

Played in my last round of league before the playoffs begin next week.  You can read all about it here: 

What I wanted to point out specifically, is two shots that I hit with the Cleveland RTX 4 56*.  One was a bunker shot about 30 feet to a downhill pin on the far side of the green with trouble behind and water to the right.  The confidence that the wedge instills is priceless.  The ball came out exactly as I envisioned it and landed it a foot behind the pin and dead stopped on the slight downslope!  Missed the dang putt though 😞  The other shot was a chip 5 feet or so off the green.  Almost holed out for a par save but I'll take the 3" tap in bogey.  The control on the chip was fantastic with just enough check to slow the ball down and roll out like I pictured it.  I've never had this type of control with previous wedges before.

Also, just as a side note, I play Srixon Z*Star balls to maximize spin from the wedges.  The Urethane Speed Skin does help as well for these controlled shots.

MDGolfHacker

• Like 4