Jump to content
Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Cleveland RTX 4 Wedges

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

12 hours ago, PMookie said:

I hit these at my wedge fitting, and if they could’ve come down 20-30 feet, I’d have bought them. They were great feeling, nice dispersion, but boy, they went SO high. I liked these a HUNDRED times more than the RTX-3!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The launch angle was, and is still, my biggest complaint with these wedges.  However, they're consistent.  They may not send the ball through my preferred window, but they just seem to work.  Like I said, it was simple consistency that made me end up putting these back in the bag.  TBH, I was ready for the review to be over so I could put my Vokey's back in. 

The tinkerer in me said no, don't give up on them yet.  I played 9 yesterday evening and shot 38.  Had one birdie and 3 bogeys.  The 3 bogeys were not the fault of the wedges.  My putter was the cause of each.  I missed an 8' par sand save putt, a 4' par putt after a great chip to get that close, and a 3 putt on a par 5 to close.

 

  • Like 1

TaylorMade M5 9.0 - PX HZRDUS Green 60 6.5 TX
TaylorMade M6 15 - PX HZRDUS Green 80 6.5 TX
Adams Red 18* - Matrix Altus Tour X 90
Srixon Z545 3 – PX 6.5
Srixon Z965 4-P - KBS Tour X
Cleveland RTX 4 52/58 MID - S400
Odyssey Black Series #3 34”
Bridgestone B XS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey everyone! I recently joined the RTX 4 family changing from my SM6 50 8 bounce F grind, 54 10 bounce S grind, and 58 12 bounce K grind. My set composition is 50 and 54 mid and 58 full. I’m torn whether or not to get my 58 in mid rather than full? They’re pretty much the same with the mid making it easier to open the face. I’m trying to get some feedback from the group whether or not it’s advisable. The courses I play at are moderately firm as well as their traps. I love the s400 shaft but if I ever were to change, what shaft option would you pick and why? Thanks everyone! I appreciate any feedback!

Edited by PingMD702
Typo
  • Like 2

Ping G410 Plus 9 Degree HZRDUS Black 6.0

Ping G410 3 Wood 14.5 Degree HZRDUS Black 6.0 Handcrafted

Ping G410 3 Hybrid 19 Degree HZRDUS Black 6.0

Titleist Forged 620 CB 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issued S400

Titleist SM8 Tour Chrome 50F/8 bounce, 56S/10 bounce, 60S/10 bounce Dynamic Gold Tour Issued S400

2019 Bettinardi QB8 Midslant Limited Run

Srixon Z-Star XV 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2019 at 12:28 AM, PingMD702 said:

Hey everyone! I recently joined the RTX 4 family changing from my SM6 50 8 bounce F grind, 54 10 bounce S grind, and 58 12 bounce K grind. My set composition is 50 and 54 mid and 58 full. I’m torn whether or not to get my 58 in mid rather than full? They’re pretty much the same with the mid making it easier to open the face. I’m trying to get some feedback from the group whether or not it’s advisable. The courses I play at are moderately firm as well as their traps. I love the s400 shaft but if I ever were to change, what shaft option would you pick and why? Thanks everyone! I appreciate any feedback!

I hope you enjoy your RTX 4's!  If you're second guessing your grind in the 58*, the first thing I would do is to look at the K grind you had with Vokey.  Is there anything that you didn't like about that grind?  Did you feel that you weren't able to make the shots that you wanted to do around the green?  The grinds are all about what you want to be able to do around the greens and how you enter the turf.  If you're still second guessing after that, I'd go to a Titleist Thursday to get fit.  You can use their recommendations and just translate them into Cleveland's grinds.  

The same thing goes with the shaft.  Is your flight not what you wanted?  Do you need more spin?  I currently play the DG X100's in my irons, and will be switching to the $ Taper X 130's when I get new irons.  I like playing a softer shaft than my irons because a lot of my wedge shots are touch shots.  I'm not always doing a full out swing with them.  I wouldn't be changing out my wedge shaft unless I'm not getting the performance I need.  If that is the case, I'll go in to get fit.


Driver: PXG 0811 X Gen 2
3 Wood: Cobra F8
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – AW: Taylormade P760
SW: Vokey SM7 M Grind
LW: Cleveland RTX 4 X-Low
Putter: Ping Vault Oslo

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2019 at 12:28 AM, PingMD702 said:

Hey everyone! I recently joined the RTX 4 family changing from my SM6 50 8 bounce F grind, 54 10 bounce S grind, and 58 12 bounce K grind. My set composition is 50 and 54 mid and 58 full. I’m torn whether or not to get my 58 in mid rather than full? They’re pretty much the same with the mid making it easier to open the face. I’m trying to get some feedback from the group whether or not it’s advisable. The courses I play at are moderately firm as well as their traps. I love the s400 shaft but if I ever were to change, what shaft option would you pick and why? Thanks everyone! I appreciate any feedback!

I’m a big fan of the KBS 610.  Had them in my previous wedges and really liked their performance.  Lowered the launch and cut enough spin to where my approaches usually stuck where they landed rather than backing up.  I had thought about swapping them in these RTX4s but after sticking with the S400, I’m pretty happy.  They get a little too spinny if I ever try to step on the gas, but I don’t really play that way, I’ll just take an stronger club and flight it.


TaylorMade M5 9.0 - PX HZRDUS Green 60 6.5 TX
TaylorMade M6 15 - PX HZRDUS Green 80 6.5 TX
Adams Red 18* - Matrix Altus Tour X 90
Srixon Z545 3 – PX 6.5
Srixon Z965 4-P - KBS Tour X
Cleveland RTX 4 52/58 MID - S400
Odyssey Black Series #3 34”
Bridgestone B XS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I’m a big fan of the KBS 610.  Had them in my previous wedges and really liked their performance.  Lowered the launch and cut enough spin to where my approaches usually stuck where they landed rather than backing up.  I had thought about swapping them in these RTX4s but after sticking with the S400, I’m pretty happy.  They get a little too spinny if I ever try to step on the gas, but I don’t really play that way, I’ll just take an stronger club and flight it.

How were the KBS 610 on the shorter, touch shots? I liked the overall weight and balance of it, but I hit a lot of half wedge shots and I was wondering if the shaft responds well in those situations.


Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

:wilson_staff_small:  Cortex w/Aldila Rogue Silver 110 MSI 70X Tipped 1"

:wilson_staff_small: F5 17 degree hybrid w/Rogue Black 85X

:wilson_staff_small:C300 Forged 3-5 w/C-Taper 130X

:wilson_staff_small: FG Tour V6 5-6 w/C-Taper 130X

 :wilson_staff_small: Staff Model Blade 7-PW w/C-Taper 130X

:cleveland-small: RTX4 52, 56, 60 w/S400 Tour Issue

:EVNROLL: ER7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On half shots they still put enough spin to where there wasn’t a ton of rollout.  I never had any issues and the slightly larger size keeps from getting too active with your hands on those shots.


TaylorMade M5 9.0 - PX HZRDUS Green 60 6.5 TX
TaylorMade M6 15 - PX HZRDUS Green 80 6.5 TX
Adams Red 18* - Matrix Altus Tour X 90
Srixon Z545 3 – PX 6.5
Srixon Z965 4-P - KBS Tour X
Cleveland RTX 4 52/58 MID - S400
Odyssey Black Series #3 34”
Bridgestone B XS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am going to use my PGA store playability in order to switch out my RTX 4 54/mid and 58/mid for 56/full and 60/mid. I just wanted to get some input from everyone to see if going full and mid respectively or should I just stick mid all across the board? I plan on bending the 56 to 55 in order to keep my 5 degree gapping from PW-LW. Thanks everyone! 


Ping G410 Plus 9 Degree HZRDUS Black 6.0

Ping G410 3 Wood 14.5 Degree HZRDUS Black 6.0 Handcrafted

Ping G410 3 Hybrid 19 Degree HZRDUS Black 6.0

Titleist Forged 620 CB 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issued S400

Titleist SM8 Tour Chrome 50F/8 bounce, 56S/10 bounce, 60S/10 bounce Dynamic Gold Tour Issued S400

2019 Bettinardi QB8 Midslant Limited Run

Srixon Z-Star XV 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/9/2020 at 2:43 AM, PingMD702 said:

I am going to use my PGA store playability in order to switch out my RTX 4 54/mid and 58/mid for 56/full and 60/mid. I just wanted to get some input from everyone to see if going full and mid respectively or should I just stick mid all across the board? I plan on bending the 56 to 55 in order to keep my 5 degree gapping from PW-LW. Thanks everyone! 

I'm actually a fan of lower bounces hence why I loved the X-Low at 3*.  I would look to see what type of conditions you play in, your divots, and how you plan to use the wedge.  If you're a digger and don't plan on opening up the face, or need a little extra help in the bunkers because they are fluffy, then I would go full grind.  If you will open it up around the green at all, definitely go mid.


Driver: PXG 0811 X Gen 2
3 Wood: Cobra F8
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – AW: Taylormade P760
SW: Vokey SM7 M Grind
LW: Cleveland RTX 4 X-Low
Putter: Ping Vault Oslo

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, goaliewales14 said:

I'm actually a fan of lower bounces hence why I loved the X-Low at 3*.  I would look to see what type of conditions you play in, your divots, and how you plan to use the wedge.  If you're a digger and don't plan on opening up the face, or need a little extra help in the bunkers because they are fluffy, then I would go full grind.  If you will open it up around the green at all, definitely go mid.

I live in Las Vegas and our course conditions are mainly firm for both fairways and bunkers. I use my 60 most of the time for green side bunkers and shots as well as open faced shots. I am definitely a digger and my divots show it haha. That’s why I am considering going 56 full and 60 mid. I’m coming from SM6s where I was playing 54 10 bounce S grind and 58 12 bounce K grind if that helps. Thanks for the response!!


Ping G410 Plus 9 Degree HZRDUS Black 6.0

Ping G410 3 Wood 14.5 Degree HZRDUS Black 6.0 Handcrafted

Ping G410 3 Hybrid 19 Degree HZRDUS Black 6.0

Titleist Forged 620 CB 4-PW Dynamic Gold Tour Issued S400

Titleist SM8 Tour Chrome 50F/8 bounce, 56S/10 bounce, 60S/10 bounce Dynamic Gold Tour Issued S400

2019 Bettinardi QB8 Midslant Limited Run

Srixon Z-Star XV 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, PingMD702 said:

I live in Las Vegas and our course conditions are mainly firm for both fairways and bunkers. I use my 60 most of the time for green side bunkers and shots as well as open faced shots. I am definitely a digger and my divots show it haha. That’s why I am considering going 56 full and 60 mid. I’m coming from SM6s where I was playing 54 10 bounce S grind and 58 12 bounce K grind if that helps. Thanks for the response!!

You can always look to see if there's a Titleist Thursday near you!  They can do a wedge fitting for free and then you can take their recommendations and convert them over to cleveland's specs


Driver: PXG 0811 X Gen 2
3 Wood: Cobra F8
3 Utility Iron: Srixon U85
4i – AW: Taylormade P760
SW: Vokey SM7 M Grind
LW: Cleveland RTX 4 X-Low
Putter: Ping Vault Oslo

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...