TESTERS WANTED! ×

Trigger Point Hip and Lower Back Kit - Review

Trigger Point Performance Therapy Hip & Lower Back Kit Review

IMG_3532.JPG

IMG_3536.JPG

Introduction

Golf demands a lot from the body. Golfers are athletes. Playing and practicing golf can lead to pain. Being more flexible will make you a better golfer.

If you agree with any or all of these statements, then I believe that you will be interested in what Trigger Point Performance Therapy has to offer. Rather than trying to reinvent the wheel, I am going to borrow liberally from Trigger Point's website to explain a little bit about what they do. If you want to learn even more, check out their website: http://www.tptherapy.com/

IMG_3467 - Copy.JPG

IMG_3533.JPG

From the Manufacturer

Trigger points are tiny knots that develop in a muscle when it is injured or overworked. Commonly a cause of most joint pain, they are known to cause headaches, neck and jaw pain, low back pain, tennis elbow, and carpal tunnel syndrome.

Based on the discoveries of Drs. Janet Travell and David Simons in which they found the causal relationship between chronic pain and its source, myofascial trigger point therapy is used to relieve muscular pain and dysfunction through applied pressure to trigger points of referred pain and through stretching exercises. These points are defined as localized areas in which the muscle and connective tissue are highly sensitive to pain when compressed. Pressure on these points can send referred pain to other specific parts of the body.

Trigger Point Therapy can relieve muscular aches and pains in association with these areas. It can also assist with the redevelopment of muscles and/or restore motion to joints. Trigger Point Performance products are specifically designed to support the massage associated with Trigger Point Therapy. Trigger points are described as hyperirritable spots in skeletal muscle that are associated with palpable nodules in taut bands of muscle fibers. Trigger point researchers believe that palpable nodules are small contraction knots and a common cause of pain. Compression of a trigger point may elicit local tenderness, referred pain, or local twitch response. The local twitch response is not the same as a muscle spasm. This is because a muscle spasm refers to the entire muscle entirely contracting whereas the local twitch response also refers to the entire muscle but only involves a small twitch, no contraction.

At Trigger Point Performance, it is our mission to provide the most practical style of therapy to be understood by anyone in need of a lifestyle change, performance enhancement, or general wellness.

Trigger Point Performance is a company based in Austin, Texas that has established itself as a life enhancing brand concentrating on empowering people with its revolutionary methodology and patented products that mirror the feeling of a human hand.

It has successfully become one of the leaders in personal performance care by marketing its in-home therapy technology to consumers in the athletic, healthcare and personal wellness markets. It is a multi-channel company that provides a broad selection of information, media, products and services to customers that value personal development, wellness, positive lifestyles and enlightening media.

IMG_3534.JPG

Ease of Use/Set Up – 20 Points

I contacted Trigger Point after seeing that they were at the PGA Show. Jodi Ondrusek at Trigger Point was nice enough to spend some time talking to me about the company, and then sent out the Hip and Lower Back Kit for this review.

When I opened the box, I have to admit to being a little overwhelmed. There were brightly colored balls, rollers, books, and DVDs, and I wasn't sure what to do with any of it. I flipped through the books, glanced over the poster, and decided that I needed to watch the DVDs. This was definitely the right call. For one thing, the Body Biomechanics DVD was simply very informative and interesting. Cassidy Phillips, the company's founder, talks about a number of common problems/ailments, and I kept saying, “Yeah, I do that…I feel that…I have that.” The instructional DVD makes the six basic moves very easy to understand and perform, and it discusses different variations to make the moves more or less intense, depending on what your body needs. Additionally, there's a half hour routine on the DVD that you can follow along with, if you prefer.

Overall, there is really no set up required, but you do need to spend the time watching the DVDs so that you understand how to do the moves and the purpose of each.

Score: 18/20

IMG_3535.JPG

Effectiveness – 20 points

A little background: since I was 18, I have had jobs where I spend a lot of time on my feet. As a result, I have developed tendinitis in my right knee, I have a fair amount of tension in my calves and hips, and at the end of a day my hamstrings and calves are, if not in pain, fairly uncomfortable.

Since receiving the Trigger Point products, I have used them virtually every morning. When I forget or don't have time, there is a clear difference in the way that I feel at the end of the day. If I spend 10-15 minutes going through the stretching routine, I can stand for eight hours and still feel pretty good when I get home. If I skip my stretch, I feel like I used to: tense and stiff.

I have found these products to be equally effective at enhancing my ability to make a good golf swing. As a result of working with my GolfTEC coach, I found that the flexibility in my hips, IT band, and lower back needed to be improved so that I can make a better turn. It was very humbling the first time that I was hooked up to the motion sensors and discovered I could only turn so far without discomfort. Now, after two weeks of working with the Quadballer (the larger roller), I can make a larger turn without any discomfort.

Finally, it's worth mentioning that the product is simply enjoyable to use. At first, there will likely be a lot of sensitivity in your more problematic areas. As time goes on, the sensitivity lessens and you're left with the feeling of having had a nice massage and stretch.

The summary of this section is very simple: this product works.

Score: 20/20

IMG_3537.JPG

Longevity – 20 points

With regard to longevity, I would equate the Trigger Point products to any other type of fitness equipment. When you first start using it, you will feel a lot better, and you will make a point of using it regularly. As time goes on, you will forget ever being in pain, and you will be less fervent about using the product. Eventually, the pain will return and you will restart the cycle. I am still in the “Regular Use” stage, and I hope that I can stay there forever, but I think it's important to be realistic with expectations about this.

The one thing that makes me grade this a bit higher is that the whole package is so compact and easy to use. The entire kit could fit into a plastic grocery bag, and you don't need a lot of floor space to do the routine. If you spend any time watching TV during the day, there would be no reason why you couldn't store the kit near your couch and get a stretch in during Sports Center.

IMG_3538.JPG

Value – 20 points

The price of the Hip and Lower Back Kit is $160. To my mind, $160 is an absolute steal compared to a massage, physical therapy, or working with a trainer. $160 would pay for two to three hours of massage or training, whereas I have these products that I can use forever, at any time, in my home, for the same price. I have worked with trainers on my tendinitis in the past, and I found them to be no more effective than the Trigger Point products. The only knock against the price is that some might say that there are homemade alternatives to these products (lacrosse balls instead of the massage balls, for examples). This may be true, but it ignores the educational aspect of the DVDs, which I found to be an important part of the overall experience.

Score: 19/20

The Peanut Gallery – 20 points

This was certainly the smallest Peanut Gallery that I've used, simply because the product does not easily lend itself to being brought to work for a demo. That said, I did get some valuable feedback from a few sources. Some of the PGA Professionals at my store are TPI certified and/or otherwise knowledgeable about physical training, and they all gave the Trigger Point products high marks. They had all used products similar to the ones described here and spoke to their effectiveness for improving flexibility and relieving pain.

In discussing the product with other golfers, the only real negative comment was related to price. These comments came from people who said that they did not have any type of pain or flexibility related issues and that they could turn completely without any discomfort. Even these people said they were interested in trying the product, but were not interested when told the price. My overriding thought when I heard people say, “I have no problems,” was that I felt the same way until I watched the DVD and saw all of the common ailments and misalignments that lead to bigger problems down the road.

Final Thoughts

In conclusion, I am definitely sold on theTrigger Point Performance Therapy Hip and Lower Back Kit. I found the tools to be easy to use, highly effective, and a very good value for anyone looking to alleviate pain, improve their golf performance, or both.

Score: 93/100

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

• 2 weeks later...

Follow up:

About 11 days ago I sprained my back while lifting weights (result of being stupid and careless, forces that will overcome almost anything). I was in pretty serious pain for a couple of days and had extremely limited mobility. After the third day, the pain started creeping into my legs because I was unable to use and stretch them like I normally do. While I was unable to stretch normally, I realized that I could still use (with some help) the Trigger Point products to create circulation and relieve the tension in my muscles. After about 10 minutes, I stood up and could not believe the difference in how I felt. It was literally night and day; I went from being unable to bend at the waist to being able to move almost normally. I have continued this routine each day since then, and I am back to feeling about 95% normal.

I have now seen both sides of the Trigger Point equation: when I first used them, they were performance enhancers, and I loved them. Now I am using them to take me from being unable to move to being back to normal, and I love them even more.

If you have any kind of chronic pain that keeps you from stretching and relieving that pain, I cannot recommend these products highly enough.

Follow me on Twitter: @MattSaternus

Archived