Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Titleist T-200s vs New P790s Discussion Thread

heribertomaya

Hi all,

Just making this thread so we can discuss the highly coveted T-200s vs New P790s,  as I know many people are struggling to see which one to buy (like myself)  and hoping everyone that gets to try them both can chime-in on this thread with their feedback and comparison between these 2 sets.

:taylormade-small: SIM Driver 9* | Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g

:callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub-Zero 3 Wood | Project X Hzrdus Smoke Black 70g

:mizuno-small: MP-20s SEL | Project X LZ 6.0

:callaway-small: Jaws MD5 - 50 Degrees | Dynamic Gold S200

:cleveland-small: RTX 4  56.10 | 60.9 | Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

:cameron-small:    Special Select 2020 - Newport 2

:bridgestone-small: Tour Bx 2020

I’ll hit both at some point after playing the p790s last year and curious to see what titleist did to improve on the ap3 (I know not a comparison because of new design and such from titleist but same category).

From a like standpoint p790 wins out. The sound/feel in the new version from what I’ve seen is even better which I thought the originals were actually pretty good and if titleist improves the ap3 that will be a tough choice.

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

44 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

I’ll hit both at some point after playing the p790s last year and curious to see what titleist did to improve on the ap3 (I know not a comparison because of new design and such from titleist but same category).

From a like standpoint p790 wins out. The sound/feel in the new version from what I’ve seen is even better which I thought the originals were actually pretty good and if titleist improves the ap3 that will be a tough choice.

thanks for the reply!  On side note, are you from PR?  I just moved to San Antonio from San Juan due to work,  Boricua here.

26 minutes ago, heribertomaya said:

thanks for the reply!  On side note, are you from PR?  I just moved to San Antonio from San Juan due to work,  Boricua here.

Not from there but my dad and his family were all born and most raised there

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

2 hours ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Not from there but my dad and his family were all born and most raised there

Great!

1 hour ago, Jfoz89 said:

I'm going to be trying both at some point. Think visually for me the p790 appear to suit my eye better. What are you currently playing with?

I just got back to golf after a 5 year lay off due to wrist injury (I was a 5 handicap then and playing nike Forged Pro Combo Tours).  3 Months ago I bought the titleist 718 AP1 thinking I would get used to the big size but I havent, so Im coming back to smaller irons,  thus leaving me with T-200 vs P790.  Since I also need forgiveness now.

I got to test the T-200s in the weekend and loved them.  I ended up pre-ordering them.   And since it was at Edwin Watts,  if I fall out of love for them during the 90 day period,  I can just exchange them for the P790s,  in any case.

2 hours ago, heribertomaya said:

I just got back to golf after a 5 year lay off due to wrist injury (I was a 5 handicap then and playing nike Forged Pro Combo Tours).  3 Months ago I bought the titleist 718 AP1 thinking I would get used to the big size but I havent, so Im coming back to smaller irons,  thus leaving me with T-200 vs P790.  Since I also need forgiveness now.

I got to test the T-200s in the weekend and loved them.  I ended up pre-ordering them.   And since it was at Edwin Watts,  if I fall out of love for them during the 90 day period,  I can just exchange them for the P790s,  in any case.

Ah awesome. Sounds like it's a no brained for the time being. I'm currently playing Callaway steelhead XR but I find them far too bulky and chunky similar reasons to you after a lay off from golf for a few years got myself them to get started so definitely feel like I need to try something else. 

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve hit both, and to me the p790s are just buttery. Easy distance, they look amazing, and are somehow quite forgiving. I’ve got it bad for these irons, I think about them in my dreams. Why must this game be so expensive?!

Taylormade M5 Driver

Cobra F9 3 Wood

Srixon ZX5 4-6 Iron

Srixon ZX7 7-PW

Taylormade MG2 Wedges 50/55/60

Taylormade Spider X Putter

I have hit both pretty extensively.   The challenge with the player's distance iron category for me has been spin.  I am not a particularly high spin player so often by the 7 iron, they simply did not hold greens the way I prefer.  The T-200s spun an acceptable amount for me; the new 790s did not.  If I were in the market for irons in this class, the T-200s would be at the top of the list.

43 minutes ago, bellairemi said:

I have hit both pretty extensively.   The challenge with the player's distance iron category for me has been spin.  I am not a particularly high spin player so often by the 7 iron, they simply did not hold greens the way I prefer.  The T-200s spun an acceptable amount for me; the new 790s did not.  If I were in the market for irons in this class, the T-200s would be at the top of the list.

Spin is only part of the equation. Launch and land angle play a role as well. Someone that launches low and has low spin won’t hold agree. With these types of clubs compared to someone with a high launch and similar spin

as for the comparison I give the p790s the edge in looks. 

19 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

Spin is only part of the equation. Launch and land angle play a role as well. Someone that launches low and has low spin won’t hold agree. With these types of clubs compared to someone with a high launch and similar spin

as for the comparison I give the p790s the edge in looks. 

Agreed but I look at spin first.  The t-200s had, on average, 800-850 more rpms of spin.  The landing angle between the two was 2* steeper with the Titleists (47* versus 45* if I remember correctly); of course more spin does increase the landing angle.