TESTERS WANTED! ×

Playing Rules

My ball landed among trees on hard pan and close to the paved cart path.  I could not stand to address the ball accept on the cart path.  My playing partner said the new rules allowed the following: place a tee in a place so you can address the ball; then you can move 2 club links no closer to the hole from the position of the tee.  Drop the ball; however the drop was in the middle of the cart path.  He said place the ball 2 club lengths which placed the ball in the middle of the cart path.  Then he said you get 2 more club lengths no closer to the hole.  Drop the ball and hit.  I moved the ball from it's original position to an addressable position, then moved it two club lengths to the center of the cart path and then two more club lengths to it's final resting position.  I then hit the shot.  Is the direction my partner gave me correct according to the 2019 USGA rules?

*I believe*** that it was not a correct drop, but your buddy being nice. It is still closest point of relief, so if it took you 4 clubs lengths to get across the path, the closest point of relief is to go 2 clubs the other direction, even if that's further into the brush or trees.

Take Dead Aim

Take Dead Aim

Driver: PXG 0211 10.5* 

Fairway: Titleist 917 F3 15*

Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro Boxer Gold 18*

Irons: MacGregor MT-86 Pro

Wedges: Vokey 50/54/58

Putter: SeeMore X2 Costa del Mar

Ball: Srixon Z-Star

Don;t know the whole scenario based on your description,  but there are lots of inconsistencies.   

If you are standing on the cartpath  using the stance in which you intend to use to hit the shot,  you are entitled to free relief.  you can't manufacturer a stance to get the relief.   If you are standing on the path  you move to the nearest point of relief; which could be in more trouble.  You find the point of relief and get 1 club length no closer to the hole from that point.

If you are in an unplayable location you can take a penalty stroke and take 2 club lengths. 

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Your playing partner is wrong.  The new rules state that you must determine the nearest point of FULL relief and drop within the designated relief area where it must come to rest.  The relief is NOT 2 club lengths.

Rule 16

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

@CarlH and @cnosil have clearly identified the correct process.

I just wanted to mention an easy way to remember if you get 1 club length relief or 2..........the way I remember is, if you are getting penalised a stroke you get 2 club lengths, if no penalty then 1.

I had a similar situation in a match, competitor was taking proper relief from a small bridge and the nearest point plus 1 clublength put him into thick rough, thems the breaks I'm afraid.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

1 hour ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I had a similar situation in a match, competitor was taking proper relief from a small bridge and the nearest point plus 1 clublength put him into thick rough, thems the breaks I'm afraid.

Yep, sometimes it's just best to play it as it lies.

Driver: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max (10.5* set at -1 and neutral) -- Mitsubishi Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Fairway: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 3 wood (16.5*) and Heaven Wood (20*)-- Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Hybrids: :callaway-small: Rogue ST Max 5H (23*)--Tensai Blue 55g R shaft

Irons:  :callaway-small: Apex CF19 6-9, PW, AW -- KBS Tour Graphite  TGI 70 shafts R +1/2 inch 3* upright

Wedges: Edison 53* and  57* KBS PGI 80 Graphite +1/2 inch 2* upright

Putter: L.A.B. DF 2.1 -- BGT Stability shaft

Ball:  Maxfli TourX...Golf Bag: :ping-small: Pioneer...Shoes: :footjoy-small: Hyperflex... Glove: Red Rooster Feather

My Photography can be seen at Smugmug

2 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

@CarlH and @cnosil have clearly identified the correct process.

I just wanted to mention an easy way to remember if you get 1 club length relief or 2..........the way I remember is, if you are getting penalised a stroke you get 2 club lengths, if no penalty then 1.

And even this isn't the entire story.  I haven't double-checked the rules, but I'm pretty sure the only time you get 2 clublengths are for a "lateral" drop from a red penalty area, or for an unplayable lie when you want to take the option of dropping near the ball's actual location.  In pretty much every other relief situation I can think of, whether free or not, you establish a reference point, and drop within 1 clublength of that point, no nearer the hole.  Other limitations might apply (i.e. in the general area, or NOT in the same penalty area, etc)

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

9 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

And even this isn't the entire story.  I haven't double-checked the rules, but I'm pretty sure the only time you get 2 clublengths are for a "lateral" drop from a red penalty area, or for an unplayable lie when you want to take the option of dropping near the ball's actual location.  In pretty much every other relief situation I can think of, whether free or not, you establish a reference point, and drop within 1 clublength of that point, no nearer the hole.  Other limitations might apply (i.e. in the general area, or NOT in the same penalty area, etc)

isnt this affirming what I said about penalties (2 club lengths) and no penalty (1 clublength). I cant think of a situation that you incur a penalty stroke and are only allowed 1 clublength?

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

3 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

isnt this affirming what I said about penalties (2 club lengths) and no penalty (1 clublength). I cant think of a situation that you incur a penalty stroke and are only allowed 1 clublength?

If you choose back-on-the-line relief for a penalty area, you establish a reference point, and drop in a relief area that is only one clublength from the reference point.  Same with back-on-the-line relief for an unplayable lie.  Both of these have changed from the previous version of the rules, which simply required that you drop essentially on the line. The same procedure applies for stroke and distance relief for a lost or OB ball, reference point at the original ball location, relief area of 1 clublength no closer to the hole..  

Edited by DaveP043
spelling

:titleist-small: Irons Titleist T200, AMT Red stiff

:callaway-small:Rogue SubZero, GD YS-Six X

:mizuno-small: T22 54 and 58 wedges

:mizuno-small: 7-wood

:Sub70: 5-wood

B60 G5i putter

Right handed

Reston, Virginia

Thanks for all of the insight.  I did not agree with my partners ruling but he is more experienced than me in the rules.  Ultimately, the action did not impact the final result of the players involved, but good to know the rules.  The diagram is the easiest way to understand the rules.  Wish all of the rules had a picture description .