TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shankster: A Solo Story / Take 38

And that's why I gave up the SPS.  I loved the consistency and accuracy, but wanted to hit it further now that I am really, really old.  My problem is that I did it for so long that my short backswing is engrained, and I can't seem to rotate back far enough without screwing up my timing.  It's a work in progress, but I'm committed to lengthening my swing.

Yep, it felt really good to “let the stallions run”... see what I did there?

Still feels like a 3/4 swing, accuracy is off a touch, but I’ll get there. Overall I think the one plane swing works wonders, especially on my back. That’s the only thing I’m worried about...

15 hours ago, Shankster said:

Yep, it felt really good to “let the stallions run”... see what I did there?

Still feels like a 3/4 swing, accuracy is off a touch, but I’ll get there. Overall I think the one plane swing works wonders, especially on my back. That’s the only thing I’m worried about...

I haven't had a bit of back trouble since I switched.  In fact, it actually feels a little  better.  I'm rotating more.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

After seeing B.A.D and his swing changes... I’ve decided to open up chapter 2 of this story.

Going for that 200mph ball speed mark.  😂😂

I have better results with the driver when I swing closer to a single plane, I don’t think I’ll ever be dead on, but it’s better.

early video analysis shows that I’m getting some serious lag, hopefully not too much that I get stuck and block them off into the trees.

now I just need a driving range to do some dialing in.

• 1 month later...

Got a few full speed driver swings in today. Hitting a foam ball, but hey you gotta do what you gotta do.

Going to go full Bryson mode for sure. Trying to talk the boss into a few sets of the Super Speed system for our gym at work. There’s a handful of “golfers” and two of us that take it pretty seriously.

Returning to my workout routine and running this week, hopefully be able to get out on the course next week.

Can’t wait to put this swing back to use where it belongs.... on the golf course.

I’ve got a few horseshoe trophies, maybe I’ll have them replace the hot shoe guy with a golfer guy...

13 hours ago, Shankster said:

Got a few full speed driver swings in today. Hitting a foam ball, but hey you gotta do what you gotta do.

Going to go full Bryson mode for sure. Trying to talk the boss into a few sets of the Super Speed system for our gym at work. There’s a handful of “golfers” and two of us that take it pretty seriously.

Returning to my workout routine and running this week, hopefully be able to get out on the course next week.

Can’t wait to put this swing back to use where it belongs.... on the golf course.

I’ve got a few horseshoe trophies, maybe I’ll have them replace the hot shoe guy with a golfer guy... emoji57.png

What about a little hockey guy?

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

On 5/26/2020 at 12:03 PM, Shankster said:

Don’t care much for hockey

Ahh I was going for the Happy Gilmore reference when he won his first tournament.  

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

• 1 month later...

Chapter 3: The Set up

Since I will be getting more rounds in, probably weekly.  I will be working on set up at home.

The long game is on point with this swing, but my favorite part of the game... the wedges are suffering badly. Looking to buy the Graves academy wedge set up training aid. Believe it or not, the wedges are costing me more strokes than the driver. That is not good, I used to rely on them when the driver was not working.

check out Tom Saguto on YouTube.  I have watched a few of his videos and he is a big advocate of this swing due to his own injuries.  He is a bit off but knows his stuff. 

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

8 hours ago, Shankster said:

Chapter 3: The Set up

Since I will be getting more rounds in, probably weekly.  I will be working on set up at home.

The long game is on point with this swing, but my favorite part of the game... the wedges are suffering badly. Looking to buy the Graves academy wedge set up training aid. Believe it or not, the wedges are costing me more strokes than the driver. That is not good, I used to rely on them when the driver was not working.T

I have that and use it near every day. Love how Tim Graves teaches short game training and those are the one set of training aids I have always kept and not got rid of.

I don't even think of Graves short game as single plane or anything, rather a short game for any golfer. There is no having to setup far away from ball or keep knees straight. With the way Tim Graves teaches you can get as close as you are comfortable and can setup with knees as bent as you are comfortable. 

The love/hate relationship I have is with the single plane full swing. I know its good and it makes sense when you think about it. Executing it at least for me is another thing. But I see just enough consistency to keep at for 10 years now. 

Going off at 08 tomorrow morning.  Been doing some over speed stuff with what I have here.  Going for the Boom on number 1. If it fizzles out, I’ll revert back to the not so boom.

I will be trying to plot out my round tonight on the maps. Would be nice if they had a flagstick location chart.... oh well.

37 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Going off at 08 tomorrow morning.  Been doing some over speed stuff with what I have here.  Going for the Boom on number 1. If it fizzles out, I’ll revert back to the not so boom.

I will be trying to plot out my round tonight on the maps. Would be nice if they had a flagstick location chart.... oh well.

HIT TO THE CENTER OF THE GREEN!!!!

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

My brain won’t allow it.  I see the flagstick and take dead aim.  

You have to train yourself to establish the correct targets. You need to establish distances where you aim for center or aim for front/back, or aim for pin.

If that strategy is how the best in the world play then it should be good enough for you. Koepka won some Tournaments with this approach.

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

Played extremely well today.  Shot a 74.

Had some super tasty wedge shots, honed in with the 58° within 50 yards and it saved par a few times. 

Some 270+ drives with a 305 in there for good measure.

Putting remains my strong point.  But my distance is killer right now.  Back to where I was before my shoulder surgery with the irons.  Stuck a 6 from 198 yards to about 7’, and using a GW or PW where I was using a 9 or possible 8 iron last year.

No back pain.

• 2 months later...
Messing around with backswing lengths, I’ve found that a shorter, Rahm-ish backswing generates the same speed as a full one... now I just have to figure out how to get the extra gear from the full swing.

Have you made a video of the shorter swing to confirm it is actually shorter? Why not stick with this one? I would guess it helps with sequencing and generates better results.

1 hour ago, cnosil said:

Have you made a video of the shorter swing to confirm it is actually shorter? Why not stick with this one? I would guess it helps with sequencing and generates better results.

I made a deal with myself that I am not going to take video anymore.  It is shorter for sure, less wrist hinge. 

Also, I am just hitting a foam ball in the yard.  Going to take the idea of the short swing to the range today or tomorrow. They do start a little further right than the longer swing.  Whether they’ll draw back or be a push is going to be the deciding factor.

I made a deal with myself that I am not going to take video anymore.  It is shorter for sure, less wrist hinge. 

Also, I am just hitting a foam ball in the yard.  Going to take the idea of the short swing to the range today or tomorrow. They do start a little further right than the longer swing.  Whether they’ll draw back or be a push is going to be the deciding factor.

I hope it works out. From personal experience I can tell you that less wrist hinge does not mean shorter swing. I used to over hinge my wrists which made the club head go farther but the swing really wasn’t longer.

17 minutes ago, cnosil said:

I hope it works out. From personal experience I can tell you that less wrist hinge does not mean shorter swing. I used to over hinge my wrists which made the club head go farther but the swing really wasn’t longer.

I am terrible at explaining things.  Haha.

When doing PT for my shoulder, the therapist told me I have an extremely flexible thoracic part of my back, which lets me get a huge shoulder turn against my very un-flexible rest of my entire body.  I can get my left shoulder beyond 90 in the backswing relative to my spine.  Pointing out towards right field if I really make a turn. But I am purposely stopping that part earlier on the shorter backswing.

3 hours ago, gwd101 said:

What an interesting thread. I read all 6 pages and am glad to see that you haven't given up on the journey. Mine is just beginning as well. I've been golfing for 15 years, usually over 110. I need to try something new so I've signed up for Kirk Junge. 🙂

Awesome.  I like his approach. He gets a little far in the weeds at times comparing things thing Bryson, but the theory makes sense.  

I would say I am more a KJ swing than a Moe swing, and honestly I started doing this a long time ago before I found any of the videos, and before I knew who Bryson was. I didn’t know what I was doing, but I knew that it worked.

Favorable weather for tomorrow’s round.  I will be playing with some non-golfers, so my frustration level will likely be high.  Usually when this happens I do not play very well... but hopefully it doesn’t take too long.

With the swing feeling good and the speed up, I am going to try a different game plan for tomorrow.  If it goes sideways, I will know after hole 4, then I’ll just go back to my normal strategy.

Also, going to see if I can sneak a Cobra fitting in and snag one of the SpeedZone drivers before they are gone at $399, but get an exotic shaft if that is what I am fit into.

On 9/23/2020 at 6:13 AM, Shankster said:

I would be surprised if you actually have less wrist hinge with a shorter swing.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Moved the weights in the driver today to the forward position.  Didn’t get to hit a ball yet, but the club feels better in my hands. And the dry swings it feels less harsh, so they will probably pepper the OOB left and right stakes. Going to try to sneak out to the range on Thursday.  

Rounds on the 7th, 14, and 21st.  Probably weekly until it gets “too cold”... so never.

Great hearing about this journey. I have landed in a similar swing, not quite Bryson but not a strong two planes either. It a swing I trust so it's faster for sure and about the only way I can keep the driver consistent. Never been a long hitter bit trying super speed to help it out. If Bryson can hit bombs with a single plane swing it's possible. Time will tell if it works for me too, adding the speed with the current swing.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

On 7/21/2020 at 9:19 PM, cnosil said:

HIT TO THE CENTER OF THE GREEN!!!!

Last round out, I thought about doing this.  But there were several front flagstick locations that long was dead, or even center of green.  Downhill nasty putts.  Being short with a putt through the fringe was the play if it did in fact come up short, luckily I actually pulled it off a few times and looked like a rockstar. 

Working on my strategy still.

Hit some today with a 6-8mph tail wind out the into the deep stuff behind the range.  At least 300 carry from where I was according to my gps.  Haven’t gotten a ball out of the back of this range yet, felt damn good!  One of them went much further. Take off .5-5% for wind, I am looking at 285-298 carry with a range ball. Had to hit a bit of a fade to get enough spin to keep it up there. Draws were around 270 carry, I can’t get a really high draw with this driver, I’d say mid at most.