TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shankster: A Solo Story / Take 38

4 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Haha.

Well anything is better than what I was doing.

Swung the clubs for about 3-4 hours total between the range and the yard. No back pain. Had I done that last week with the old swing I would be in need of a chiropractor, hot tub, and a bottle of Motrin.

I honestly believe its easier to transition to single plane as we get older.  The naproxen and a tens unit obviously help but better body mechanics just makes sense.  Keep at it, lets see some more video later on as you hone it.

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Pretty interested in that documentary they are making.

Sort of off topic, but I’d like to see a Tom Watson film. Similar to the Seve Movie, but while he is still around and can have input. I think that would be a great story, especially since he is the epitome of what golf should be.

I would really like to see that too. What a player - what a swing! I felt so bad for Stewart Cink in 2009 Open Championship - the WHOLE world hated him winning and beating Tom. He played so beautifully and got such a bad break on the 72nd hole but that's golf. I would definitely enjoy a Tom movie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

I honestly believe its easier to transition to single plane as we get older.  The naproxen and a tens unit obviously help but better body mechanics just makes sense.  Keep at it, lets see some more video later on as you hone it.

Wish I would have stumbled on this as a kid. Most of the concepts make sense to me. The only downside is potential distance loss, but the mad scientist is showing us that doesn’t have to be the case. He is a bit upright from what I want to do, and that probably has something to do with it.

Wish I would have stumbled on this as a kid. Most of the concepts make sense to me. The only downside is potential distance loss, but the mad scientist is showing us that doesn’t have to be the case. He is a bit upright from what I want to do, and that probably has something to do with it.

Just keep an eye on that early release.
  • Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

Today was one of the greatest days of my life. It would take me a while to explain to you all, but I’ll just say it all makes sense now.

Just left the range... unbelievable ball striking.

After reading about, watching videos of, trying this single plane thing. Even looking at a “normal” swing on the range looks weird.... (what are you all doing to your poor backs?)

I could hear someone down the way talking about my swing, not every little detail, but hey look at that guy, that’s all wrong sort of stuff as he taught his buddy about how a tee should come out of the ground after you hit a drive.

I stood there and hit straight ball after straight ball.

So straight I actually said out loud for the first 5 or so... “dead straight”. Not even the slightest of curve in it. I mishit some, and even shanked a wedge shot but I knew it before I even hit that I was set up wrong, I couldn’t have picked that out with my old swing. Was hitting into 10-15mph wind that would have exacerbated my fade/slice just last week. Had zero effect on my side to side. Was carrying the mini driver around 240... beautiful!!

I’ve found it. It was a very spiritual day on and off the golf course.

Hopefully put this one plane thing to work this upcoming week for a practice round before our work outing.

Today was one of the greatest days of my life. It would take me a while to explain to you all, but I’ll just say it all makes sense now.

Just left the range... unbelievable ball striking.

After reading about, watching videos of, trying this single plane thing. Even looking at a “normal” swing on the range looks weird.... (what are you all doing to your poor backs?)

I could hear someone down the way talking about my swing, not every little detail, but hey look at that guy, that’s all wrong sort of stuff as he taught his buddy about how a tee should come out of the ground after you hit a drive.

I stood there and hit straight ball after straight ball.

So straight I actually said out loud for the first 5 or so... “dead straight”. Not even the slightest of curve in it. I mishit some, and even shanked a wedge shot but I knew it before I even hit that I was set up wrong, I couldn’t have picked that out with my old swing. Was hitting into 10-15mph wind that would have exacerbated my fade/slice just last week. Had zero effect on my side to side. Was carrying the mini driver around 240... beautiful!!

I’ve found it. It was a very spiritual day on and off the golf course.

Hopefully put this one plane thing to work this upcoming week for a practice round before our work outing.

“Playing in the morning with my boss,” and, “...before our work outing.” Jeez, you suck!!! I’d LOVE to have a job that involved golfing! Sheesh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

It’s very rare. But welcomed.

When I worked for Kraft foods in Charlotte, just out of college, my boss there would take us golfing on Friday mornings here-and-there. I wasn’t a fan of him, but a HUGE fan of that “leadership” style!

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

When I worked for Kraft foods in Charlotte, just out of college, my boss there would take us golfing on Friday mornings here-and-there. I wasn’t a fan of him, but a HUGE fan of that “leadership” style!

Absolutely, having fun at work is a must now and then.

A little moe practice today.

Coming along nicely. Only thing that is taking some getting used to is the alignment.

Definitely works for me, the keeping the club on plane like Bryson is too difficult. But the way Mr. Moe Norman did it is super easy. Scoop the club back inside and let it rip... love it.

Short game strategy will take some work as I’ve said, but so far this is amazing how quickly my body adjusted to this, back pain is nearly gone!

14 hours ago, Shankster said:

Since going down this fork in the road, I have listened to a one and a half hour podcast about Moe Norman. Ordered a book, and seriously considering joining the Graves Academy stuff.

All of this makes me wonder why I hadn’t done this earlier.

I was a member for many years.  If you need/want any of the Graves equipment they sell or videos, just PM me.  Chances are I have it.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

A little moe practice today.

Coming along nicely. Only thing that is taking some getting used to is the alignment.

Definitely works for me, the keeping the club on plane like Bryson is too difficult. But the way Mr. Moe Norman did it is super easy. Scoop the club back inside and let it rip... love it.

Short game strategy will take some work as I’ve said, but so far this is amazing how quickly my body adjusted to this, back pain is nearly gone!

I love watching videos of Moe hitting balls - so repeatable, so consistent, so easy. It's interesting because Bryson is not what I would consider "easy" - he is clearly a very intelligent young man but his approach to the game seems quite complicated and very different from Moe's. Not meant as a criticism at all - just an honest observation.

Moe was almost child-like and his thoughts were guite uncluttered. Interesting how two very different approaches are quite similar. Really happy for you Alan and I'm looking forward to hearing about your continued success.

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

I love watching videos of Moe hitting balls - so repeatable, so consistent, so easy. It's interesting because Bryson is not what I would consider "easy" - he is clearly a very intelligent young man but his approach to the game seems quite complicated and very different from Moe's. Not meant as a criticism at all - just an honest observation.

Moe was almost child-like and his thoughts were guite uncluttered. Interesting how two very different approaches are quite similar. Really happy for you Alan and I'm looking forward to hearing about your continued success.

Agree. The more I’ve been thinking about this. After I got the green light from the doc after my shoulder ordeal I started working on a “Hogan” swing, was one plane, and very flat. But the more I think about it and the “feels” I am getting right now are the exact same as that.

So my “Hogan” swing was really a Moe swing. Or a rendition of it rather. I couldn’t hit the ball crooked with that set up, but I was chasing distance and went back to my old swing with negative results.

This will be a fun journey, especially if I do it correctly and follow some instructions. It really is odd to watch a “normal” swing now. Just one of those l”ah ha” moments were everything clicked. Now I just have to polish it up.

14 hours ago, Shankster said:

back pain is nearly gone!

This is the best part!  Congrats on finding a swing that gives you relief!

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Agree. The more I’ve been thinking about this. After I got the green light from the doc after my shoulder ordeal I started working on a “Hogan” swing, was one plane, and very flat. But the more I think about it and the “feels” I am getting right now are the exact same as that.

So my “Hogan” swing was really a Moe swing. Or a rendition of it rather. I couldn’t hit the ball crooked with that set up, but I was chasing distance and went back to my old swing with negative results.

This will be a fun journey, especially if I do it correctly and follow some instructions. It really is odd to watch a “normal” swing now. Just one of those l”ah ha” moments were everything clicked. Now I just have to polish it up.

Hogan was a hooker. If you hook the ball, following Hogan’s tips would be good, but not if you are a slicer.

Moe’s swing straightened out my slice, but I’m getting more distance since I went back to a 2-plane swing. However, I think I now have a hybrid swing which might/might not be a good thing. Still working on it.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

15 hours ago, Shankster said:

I really love when those types of moments happen in golf - when all just feels right with the world and you feel for just a moment like your swing is your own. That's my constant pursuit - to really own my swing - I really hope you own your "new" one.

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

I really love when those types of moments happen in golf - when all just feels right with the world and you feel for just a moment like your swing is your own. That's my constant pursuit - to really own my swing - I really hope you own your "new" one.

Planning on it, watched some highlights of the last playoff event. And I said it earlier, but a “normal” swing just looks so weird to me now.

I’ve also noticed that both of my boys that like golf swing their clubs just like Moe. Maybe they are onto something.

Well, with golf canceled today because of a tournament. I hit a half of bucket, but I was with the boss and another guy.

Not sure if I wasn’t setting up properly or what, but I was losing them right again.

Distance is there, contact feels great and solid. They were starting dead online then fading off 15-20 yards about midway through flight.

Will be working on set up over the weekend.

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Well, with golf canceled today because of a tournament. I hit a half of bucket, but I was with the boss and another guy.

Not sure if I wasn’t setting up properly or what, but I was losing them right again.

Distance is there, contact feels great and solid. They were starting dead online then fading off 15-20 yards about midway through flight.

Will be working on set up over the weekend.

Sounds like a grip issue; might be a little weak.  Or maybe the ball is an inch too far forward in stance.  I tended to do that when I was 1-plane, but I had a little cut; not 15-20y.

If you are setting up with the clubhead off the ball several inches, move from setup to impact position (no backswing) to see the clubhead/ball relationship.  Might be slightly open because you are not releasing the club down the line.

Just my 2 cents from what I remember I did; take it for what it's worth.

Sounds like a grip issue; might be a little weak.  Or maybe the ball is an inch too far forward in stance.  I tended to do that when I was 1-plane, but I had a little cut; not 15-20y.
If you are setting up with the clubhead off the ball several inches, move from setup to impact position (no backswing) to see the clubhead/ball relationship.  Might be slightly open because you are not releasing the club down the line.
Just my 2 cents from what I remember I did; take it for what it's worth.

Yeah. I haven’t gotten to moving the clubhead away from the ball yet. That just feels too awkward at the moment.

Hit a few out in the yard tonight, I think I was getting a little steep again earlier. Have to tell myself more “around me” then before. I was back to hitting them straight or a slight draw.

Grip is probably a fault too. I noticed I was out in the fingers again too much.

5 hours ago, Shankster said:

Yeah. I haven’t gotten to moving the clubhead away from the ball yet. That just feels too awkward at the moment.

Hit a few out in the yard tonight, I think I was getting a little steep again earlier. Have to tell myself more “around me” then before. I was back to hitting them straight or a slight draw.

Grip is probably a fault too. I noticed I was out in the fingers again too much.

Nothing wrong with being in the fingers.  The Moe Norman "palm grip" was exaggerated by Natural Golf to sell their clubs with the fat grips. Moe didn't use that grip in his early years.  Works well if you need to hit straight, but it also reduces the ability to create more lag angle so reduces distance.  

Nothing wrong with being in the fingers.  The Moe Norman "palm grip" was exaggerated by Natural Golf to sell their clubs with the fat grips. Moe didn't use that grip in his early years.  Works well if you need to hit straight, but it also reduces the ability to create more lag angle so reduces distance.  

The palm grip seemed to be my golden ticket. Unfortunately I had that ah ha moment then didn’t touch a club for a while. I needed to hit about 300 balls that day. Engrain whatever it was I was doing.

Hopefully going to the range today and tomorrow. Too much on the plate for a round this weekend, it’s the last weekend of the kids summer vacation. So ice cream, burgers, and whatever else they want to do takes precedence.

Got through 2 range buckets today.

Figured out how I need to set up for consistent strikes.

Right hand grip needs to be really strong and the left hand needs to be really weak.

If I set up like that I can get a good hinge and have tons of control over the clubface.

Had a right handers worst wind, off the left at around 15mph the whole session. I was able to keep the ball flight good enough that the ball stayed straight until it neared the ground and the spin started to slow up at the end of its flight.

After my last round you guys heard about in the “how’d you play” thread, I can say that this new “me” is here to stay for the long haul.

Didn’t lose any distance, actually think I gained some, and it is nice playing from the short grass.

I don’t have it down 100% and never will but the idea of swinging like this is something that I believe struggling golfers should look at.

I’m not a spokesperson for Graves Academy, you all know how much I dislike commercialized stuff...

If you are having issues with your golf swing take a serious look at the one plane idea. Not like Bryson, but like old Moe Norman. It’s stupid easy.

Glad its working for you. Not sure I understand one swing plane (I assume it's exactly as it says, I'll google).

Whatever works to get the fun back into the game - good luck

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

Glad its working for you. Not sure I understand one swing plane (I assume it's exactly as it says, I'll google).
Whatever works to get the fun back into the game - good luck

It’s as simple as returning the club to the ball on the same plane as you set up on, but there are a few things in the set up that change to allow that to happen without making room, and all that other stuff. It really happens naturally with this swing.

Without worrying about early extension, “clearing your hips”, and all the other crap that these instructors are spewing. (Again I am doing a self taught version of it, so I can yell at myself all I want.)

Try at your own risk. But it’s so easy a caveman could and probably did do it. (If they played golf of course).

I am very intrigued by this.  As a relatively new golfer, anything that adds consistency and simplicity is a plus.  I had already started setting up with my driver a few inches behind the ball and hit it solid almost every time compared to setting the clubhead directly behind the ball, I just don't usually know where it's going to go.  Did you sign up for anything or just watch youtube videos? 

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 10.5* Helium Shaft

Woods: :taylormade-small: R580 5W, 7W

Hybrids: Nicklaus Dual Point 4H

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 Speedback One Length 6i - PW

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 48*, 52*, 58*

Putter: :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact 3

Bag: :Ogio: Grom 14-way stand bag

Ball: GolfJet Jet 4

Rangefinder: NX7 Pro or ShotScope V2

I am very intrigued by this.  As a relatively new golfer, anything that adds consistency and simplicity is a plus.  I had already started setting up with my driver a few inches behind the ball and hit it solid almost every time compared to setting the clubhead directly behind the ball, I just don't usually know where it's going to go.  Did you sign up for anything or just watch youtube videos? 

Haven’t signed up yet, but I am going to I think.

Kirk Junge

And the Graves fellas have a ton of videos.

I think once you get the basics down it’s easy to get better quickly. But it all depends on what you want out of your golf game.

I actually tried this a few years back before knowing anything about Moe or Bryson or any other one plane kind of swing.

Not saying it’s the best thing since sliced bread. But it’s hard to ignore the benefits of this type of swing.