TESTERS WANTED! ×

Shankster: A Solo Story / Take 38

Just now, Shankster said:

Haven’t signed up yet, but I am going to I think.

Kirk Junge

And the Graves fellas have a ton of videos.

I think once you get the basics down it’s easy to get better quickly. But it all depends on what you want out of your golf game.

I actually tried this a few years back before knowing anything about Moe or Bryson or any other one plane kind of swing.

Not saying it’s the best thing since sliced bread. But it’s hard to ignore the benefits of this type of swing.

Thanks!  That's what I wanted to hear.  More interested in giving it a go without paying for anything to start.  

Distance generally seems to be king, and I don't hit it that far to begin with, but I would honestly rather hit more consistently and accurately then longer and hitting out of the trees or the neighboring fairway.  Getting better quickly also has a lot of appeal. 😀 

Driver: :cobra-small: King F9 10.5* Helium Shaft

Woods: :taylormade-small: R580 5W, 7W

Hybrids: Nicklaus Dual Point 4H

Irons: :cobra-small: F9 Speedback One Length 6i - PW

Wedges: :cleveland-small: 588 RTX 2.0 48*, 52*, 58*

Putter: :1332069271_TommyArmour: Impact 3

Bag: :Ogio: Grom 14-way stand bag

Ball: GolfJet Jet 4

Rangefinder: NX7 Pro or ShotScope V2

Thanks!  That's what I wanted to hear.  More interested in giving it a go without paying for anything to start.  
Distance generally seems to be king, and I don't hit it that far to begin with, but I would honestly rather hit more consistently and accurately then longer and hitting out of the trees or the neighboring fairway.  Getting better quickly also has a lot of appeal.  

No problem. I am guessing you’d see a distance increase, better contact and all.

Obviously I played today as you may have read in the Blueprint thread.

Took me a while to find the groove with the driver today, but that back nine charm hit again, 274, 271, 284, 288 were a few that I used GPS for to track distance.

I feel like a few more actual rounds and this will just be point and shoot.

The irons and wedges had laser guided pin seeking accuracy, it was pretty impressive. I let a few get away from me, but overall probably the best ball striking day I can remember.

Short game is taking a little beating because I’ve been working on this, but when I am actually hitting greens from 200 and in the wedges don’t get much work.... and I am perfectly fine with that.

Getting a bit more check on my chips that cost us a few strokes today.

It seems my distance is back, hitting 5 irons 207, and getting over that 270 mark with the Mini Driver is a swing in the right direction....

Moe's swing is a great method, and I'm grateful for the time I spent using it.  As a beginner, it straightened out my slice and allowed me to play fun golf.  I'm happy that it's working well for you.

I enjoyed working with Graves Golf Academy; some great guys there.  Over the last couple of years, they got very commercial, and that turned me off.  I went back to a two-plane swing, and it's working well for me.  The single plane swing experience has stuck with me to some extent... I'm still pretty straight.

Graves (as well as other teachers) tout their method as being easier on the back.  It made sense to me, but I've had a bad back for years, and Moe's swing didn't help that too much.  Now that I have moved on, my back actually feels better.  I've been able to stop taking hydrocodone when I play.  That's reason enough to change, but I also have been hitting the ball further than I did 3 years ago.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

I hear you Kenny. I messed my back up 11 years ago. Sometimes just sitting eating dinner was painful.

Glad you are working the 2 plane with better results on the back! The less back pain the more enjoyable golf, and everything else is.

Not sure why they went so infomercial like. Only reason I can think is to get funding for the “Moe Movie” they are working on, but it sure feels like one of those As Seen On TV things.

Todd just recently put up a YouTube video with Peter Kessler and it was really good.

4 large buckets and a hour of short game practice.... this is fun.

I added shaping the ball a few shots today, easy to hit them on command with this... makes me wonder if this is how I swing a few years ago when I was having a lot of success on the golf course and somehow just kept creeping towards the ball... anyways, I get a nice mid - boring flight with the driver, still hitting sky high iron shots, and high wedge shots stock. But they are stopping quickly on the green so I can’t complain.

Time for a new 54/56 wedge, I wore this one out... i am affraid the BStone 56 is now a beach club.

Oh, and I think the PV1 is going to be replacing anything that’s in my bag. Can’t beat that ball!

If you don't mind me asking @Shankster who is teaching you this new swing? youtube/instructor/friend or bits gleaned from reading and self teaching?

Just curious.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

If you don't mind me asking [mention=69396]Shankster[/mention] who is teaching you this new swing? youtube/instructor/friend or bits gleaned from reading and self teaching?
Just curious.

Me.

Trial and error.

I’ve watched a few videos, but from what I can tell from videos I’ve taken its kind of my own thing. Just the basics maybe I picked up from the videos?

Here’s a quick glimpse of how the short game is coming along with this one plane swing deal.

These were 50 yard shots with the 52°, you could carbon copy that grouping for 60 yards, 75 yards, and 90 yards with that club today.

IMG_6359.JPG

The little delicate shots around the green are challenging, but I’m getting there.

I’ve developed a little draw that sometimes turns into a big hook.... I think I am getting a little quick in the transition sometimes. This swing is much easier to diagnose.

Here’s a quick glimpse of how the short game is coming along with this one plane swing deal.

These were 50 yard shots with the 52°, you could carbon copy that grouping for 60 yards, 75 yards, and 90 yards with that club today.

IMG_6359.thumb.JPG.87cc179f1f1b3db5341698c611efb0b1.JPG

The little delicate shots around the green are challenging, but I’m getting there.

I’ve developed a little draw that sometimes turns into a big hook.... I think I am getting a little quick in the transition sometimes. This swing is much easier to diagnose.
That's some impressive dispersion. Four easy birdie putts there.

Sent from my ZTE A2017U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

10 hours ago, Shankster said:

IMG_6359.JPG

That's really solid. Good stuff 

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

https://scoregolf.com/blog/rick-young/celebrating-moe-norman/

Just ran across this article, thought you might like it @Shankster

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

https://scoregolf.com/blog/rick-young/celebrating-moe-norman/
Just ran across this article, thought you might like it [mention=69396]Shankster[/mention]

Saw that. But thanks for sharing it.

It’s funny. I won a World Horseshoe Tournament there in Kitchener, Ontario back in 1997. Pretty neat town, and I got to walk some of the same streets old Moe might have.

Interesting day at the range.

Everything went left. My draw from last session is now a hook.

Distance is there, but taking off mid flight on a hard dive left is unexpected.

Also, can’t work the fade anymore... 🥺

More trial and error coming up. Going to try a little less tilt away from the ball and a slightly weaker right hand.

Hey Shankster, just wanted to say thanks for starting this thread.  I had no idea about Moe Norman or the single plane swing before, and now for the first time since I started playing in 2017, I am starting to develop some consistency in my swing and hitting it straight.  I just had my best ball striking game yet, and I love practicing now because it actually feels like I'm accomplishing something.  😁

Hey Shankster, just wanted to say thanks for starting this thread.  I had no idea about Moe Norman or the single plane swing before, and now for the first time since I started playing in 2017, I am starting to develop some consistency in my swing and hitting it straight.  I just had my best ball striking game yet, and I love practicing now because it actually feels like I'm accomplishing something.  

Awesome! You’re welcome. Stick with the game even through the down times. Ive been playing on and off for over 20 years. I still get the same enjoyment out of the good shots.

Glad I could inspire you to try Moe’s swing. Keep at it.

• 3 weeks later...

Have a light week for course work. Got to practice a bit of short game around the yard today.

Hardest thing for me is standing so far away on the little delicate shots.

I’ll have to tune this part of the game over the next few weeks.

Odd rules for the work scramble again, and since I won, I was paired up with someone that has never played before...

2 person teams
At least 1 shot per hole per player, can’t be a putt unless it is over 20’.

Made life difficult last time, this time will be impossible perhaps.

4 hours ago, Shankster said:

Have a light week for course work. Got to practice a bit of short game around the yard today.

Hardest thing for me is standing so far away on the little delicate shots.

I’ll have to tune this part of the game over the next few weeks.

Odd rules for the work scramble again, and since I won, I was paired up with someone that has never played before...

2 person teams
At least 1 shot per hole per player, can’t be a putt unless it is over 20’.

Made life difficult last time, this time will be impossible perhaps.

In my years lessons on the Moe Norman swing, I was never taught to stand far away from the ball.  On those little delicate shots, you are not taking a full swing and the hands are closer to the body at address.  

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

Ok. You talked me into it.

How does it look?

[/url]

Looks good to this ole fart

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

• 2 weeks later...

As I said in the Blueprint Thread, played well today.

But the part of my game that I used to lean on left me in some bad spots. With this swing I think I have too much bounce on my sand wedge. Twice in the sand I skulled it, and one fat. Most of the chips were stubby that weren’t the Blueprint wedge.

Maybe more bounce?... Very confusing anyways.

4 hours ago, Shankster said:

As I said in the Blueprint Thread, played well today.

But the part of my game that I used to lean on left me in some bad spots. With this swing I think I have too much bounce on my sand wedge. Twice in the sand I skulled it, and one fat. Most of the chips were stubby that weren’t the Blueprint wedge.

Maybe more bounce?... Very confusing anyways.

It's technique.  Need more bunker practice.

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

Haha. Very true Kenny. I found myself in more bunkers than normal yesterday. One more thing to add to the practice plan.

I've been working on my ball striking lately, and really have been neglecting short game practice and bunker play.  It is showing up in my scores; not getting chips/pitches close enough and missing putts that I shouldn't.  My irons are better, so back to short game practice!!

I am going to take this to the next level for 2020. The goal is to break 70. Stand by for Shankster: Uncharted Territory

With episode 2 coming up some teasers are: a Mid/Late November driver fitting, cold iron winter golf, and much much more.

I am going to take this to the next level for 2020. The goal is to break 70. Stand by for Shankster: Uncharted Territory

I wish you the best of luck. Been my goal for quite a few years. Now I am resetting my goal to having most of my rounds be in the 70s

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   :taylormade-small:TM-180

Testing:   SPGC_logo.jpg

Backups:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

With episode 2 coming up some teasers are: a Mid/Late November driver fitting, cold iron winter golf, and much much more.

I'm sure you will do it - will be fun to watch!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

• 2 months later...
On 10/18/2019 at 1:58 AM, Shankster said:

just subscribe your youtube channel...nice goal in 2020

just subscribe your youtube channel...nice goal in 2020

Dang. No driver fitting, but there has been some cold iron golf...

Still going strong on this for full swings. The pitch shots and stuff are a little difficult to get used to. My consistency through out the bag is amazing really considering how badly I was playing earlier in the year. Once it warms up a bit and those White Boxed BStones show you there will be numerous cold rounds.

• 5 weeks later...

The Shankster: A One Plane Story has been cancelled.

Last time out I played with a very low to + handicap, he noticed that I was taking about a half backswing. Never really thought of it, but I am giving up way too much distance with this swing.

Just today I started out with some 65 yard 56° that were “maxed out”...

Switched back to my old swing with some tweaks, and voila back to 100 yarders.

I’m guessing this is why I was coming up 10 yards short with the other clubs. Felt like I had to stretch everything.

The End.

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

The Shankster: A One Plane Story has been cancelled.

Last time out I played with a very low to + handicap, he noticed that I was taking about a half backswing. Never really thought of it, but I am giving up way too much distance with this swing.

Just today I started out with some 65 yard 56° that were “maxed out”...

Switched back to my old swing with some tweaks, and voila back to 100 yarders.

I’m guessing this is why I was coming up 10 yards short with the other clubs. Felt like I had to stretch everything.

The End.

And that's why I gave up the SPS.  I loved the consistency and accuracy, but wanted to hit it further now that I am really, really old.  My problem is that I did it for so long that my short backswing is engrained, and I can't seem to rotate back far enough without screwing up my timing.  It's a work in progress, but I'm committed to lengthening my swing.