Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Shankster: A Solo Story / Take 38

Off tomorrow around 9:20. 

Name of the game will be focusing on the 150 and in shots.  I put a lot of practice in this week from the 100 and in portion of it, but usually means the long game will suffer.

Possible range session today, working on set up and start line on full swings.

• Shankster changed the title to Shankster: A One Plane Story

Well... I don’t know what it is, but I cannot get the wedges dialed in.  Heeling 90% of them.  Changed setup, ball position, shaft orientation... I haven’t struggled this much with these shots as I am now.

I know this sounds weird, but I am on the hunt for every B.A.D. Video with a wedge in his hands to see what he is doing.  There has to be a simplified way to play with the one plane for wedges.

3 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Well... I don’t know what it is, but I cannot get the wedges dialed in.  Heeling 90% of them.  Changed setup, ball position, shaft orientation... I haven’t struggled this much with these shots as I am now.

I know this sounds weird, but I am on the hunt for every B.A.D. Video with a wedge in his hands to see what he is doing.  There has to be a simplified way to play with the one plane for wedges.

Do you have graphite shafts in your wedges?  

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

29 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Nope.  A X in the 52 and a S in the 58

Need graphite to be like Bryson!

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

I think I am ready to try out the single length clubs.... but how am I to get the T100•S set up like they without depleting the worlds lead tape supply?

Planning on going to the Knighthawk Golf Center for a Driver fitting as recommended by @GolfSpy STUDque, and maybe I’ll try them out if they have them.  But it looks like Cobra only has the two options right now, curious bit they will add a one length option for the new irons we saw Duff testing earlier this year.

1 minute ago, Shankster said:

I think I am ready to try out the single length clubs.... but how am I to get the T100•S set up like they without depleting the worlds lead tape supply?

Planning on going to the Knighthawk Golf Center for a Driver fitting as recommended by @GolfSpy STUDque, and maybe I’ll try them out if they have them.  But it looks like Cobra only has the two options right now, curious bit they will add a one length option for the new irons we saw Duff testing earlier this year.

Do NOT butcher your irons to try to making them one length! 

Also you’ll be making your 8-PW longer so you’d need to remove weight from the head, not add to it

47 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Do NOT butcher your irons to try to making them one length! 

Also you’ll be making your 8-PW longer so you’d need to remove weight from the head, not add to it

No worries there.  They are safe from any sort of Frankenstein-ing.  But I like them a lot, and wouldn’t want to play anything else.  Tough spot.

It was more of a hypothetical question about the lead tape.

On 10/6/2020 at 5:49 PM, Shankster said:

One thing I found using the SPS was I had a bigger tendency to heel shots... wedges to driver.  Since I went back to a 2-plane swing, I am rotating more and heel shots are rare now.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

27 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

One thing I found using the SPS was I had a bigger tendency to heel shots... wedges to driver.  Since I went back to a 2-plane swing, I am rotating more and heel shots are rare now.

Just the opposite for me.  I was S wording the heck out of everything before switching.  And really short, like PW going 100 yards short.

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

Just the opposite for me.  I was S wording the heck out of everything before switching.  And really short, like PW going 100 yards short.

LOL.  I was the S wording shots using the SPS.  I rotate more and they're basically gone until I get tired.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

No worries there.  They are safe from any sort of Frankenstein-ing.  But I like them a lot, and wouldn’t want to play anything else.  Tough spot.

It was more of a hypothetical question about the lead tape.

Like a mentioned, only clubs you shorten (4,5,6) would need weight added to balance swing weight. All of your scoring irons and wedges would need less weight because you’d be lengthening the shafts on them. 

6 minutes ago, jlukes said:

Like a mentioned, only clubs you shorten (4,5,6) would need weight added to balance swing weight. All of your scoring irons and wedges would need less weight because you’d be lengthening the shafts on them. 

When I replace the wedges, 50/52, 54/56 58/60 whatever they may be, I will at least make them all the same as the PW. 

Should be easier to match the SW then I’d imagine?  They’d be 3/4” - 1” long, this seems to be a standard option from the OEM’s.

3 hours ago, Kenny B said:

LOL.  I was the S wording shots using the SPS.  I rotate more and they're basically gone until I get tired.

I am not following the Graves stuff anymore.  I can’t  stay planted like they want. The Kirk Junge dude and His “set up for impact” is more or less what I do... except with the woods, that is more of a Moe setup, but I get off the back foot like a normal swing.  I imagine I look like a goon, but... scores are dropping and that’s all that matters.

Out in the yard practicing some pitch shots.

I am terrible at this part of the game now.  All sorts of different launches when I am trying to do the same thing each time. 

Back to the drawing board.  Need to find something that compliments the full swing and doesn’t feel to alien compared to it. It’s no wonder the 150 and in part of my game is showing that it sucks... because it does.  It used to save my butt more often than not, but now that I am not in the crap most of the round I don’t know what to do with a good lie and angle to the green. 😂

I have found a 80 yard shot that is deadly accurate, a knock down 52° that has been my favorite shot with the PW at 100 yards. In theory it should work from 60 with the 58° as well.

Off tomorrow at 9:50, I’ll report back.  And I just have to remember to use these shots, along with the Lower PW shot... it WILL save me strokes, I might even play for the 100 yard shot off the tee and see what happens on a few holes.

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

I have found a 80 yard shot that is deadly accurate, a knock down 52° that has been my favorite shot with the PW at 100 yards. In theory it should work from 60 with the 58° as well.

Off tomorrow at 9:50, I’ll report back.  And I just have to remember to use these shots, along with the Lower PW shot... it WILL save me strokes, I might even play for the 100 yard shot off the tee and see what happens on a few holes.

Playing in our usual windy conditions, that's my normal shot anytime I'm close to the green.  I'm not sure I can hit anything else with any accuracy.

8 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

Playing in our usual windy conditions, that's my normal shot anytime I'm close to the green.  I'm not sure I can hit anything else with any accuracy.

I am a count on the ball stopping quickly player.  Hopefully this shot will check up nicely, if not I’ll have to change my strategy a bit.

5 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I am a count on the ball stopping quickly player.  Hopefully this shot will check up nicely, if not I’ll have to change my strategy a bit.

It should if ball contact is good.

High noon showdown today.

It could get interesting, hopefully I worked out the steep transition.  

Golf is such a fickle game, 3 weeks ago I was playing lights out, last week I wanted to give up the game again. This always brings my confidence level down a little, which leads me to play bad again. 

Trying something new today with the warm up, going to add in a reminder aid on the range to cure the steep shots (if they are still there) 

It feels like my left knee is moving further off the ball than usual. Something I struggled with using the normal golf swing. 

70 or 100 it will be a good day.

I think I figured out my waywardness...

If my left hand grip isn’t ridiculously weak I suck at golf.  I mean almost underneath the club, then a moderately strong right hand.  Was just hitting some amazing stinger 52° shots.  A lot of bite in that shot....

Now the all important part.  REMEMBER TO DO THAT ON THE COURSE!

38 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I think I figured out my waywardness...

If my left hand grip isn’t ridiculously weak I suck at golf.  I mean almost underneath the club, then a moderately strong right hand.  Was just hitting some amazing stinger 52° shots.  A lot of bite in that shot....

Now the all important part.  REMEMBER TO DO THAT ON THE COURSE!

Do whatever works, but IMO changing your grip for a specific shot can lead to problems.  One grip for full shots, another for wedges; eventually it will lead to some combination grip that doesn't work for anything.

I say this because Been there; Done that.  I think it's better to find out why it works, or better yet why it doesn't work with a normal grip.  Then you can work on the real issue.

1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

Do whatever works, but IMO changing your grip for a specific shot can lead to problems.  One grip for full shots, another for wedges; eventually it will lead to some combination grip that doesn't work for anything.

I say this because Been there; Done that.  I think it's better to find out why it works, or better yet why it doesn't work with a normal grip.  Then you can work on the real issue.

I should have specified.  This is for all shots.  I can’t seem to get the club head back to square with any club without doing this.  It also gives me the ability to do the hold off finish that I am used to, very shut clubface and just swing the daylights out of it.

22 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I should have specified.  This is for all shots.  I can’t seem to get the club head back to square with any club without doing this.  It also gives me the ability to do the hold off finish that I am used to, very shut clubface and just swing the daylights out of it.

Well then...   Groove it!!!

giphy.gif

Finally!  Got the short game area to myself for about 45 minutes.

Worked on Wedge full swings.

PW: is dead on 143 yards (I’m pretty satisfied with that grouping from 143, room for improvement though.  That distance control 💪🏻)
7E87D46C-8ECB-42AF-902D-3D6EB682CCD0.jpeg.524807de86ee238405e3bd9faf24c4a5.jpeg

52°: is dead on 117 yards... (Not trying to hammer it)

58° is dead on 91 yards... (just too high)

20 ish yard gap between my Wedges... don’t think I like that.

Nothing like getting all dressed up with nowhere to go.

I finally came up with a swing that works (yes I realize it won’t now) from the 100 and in zone today.  Just in time for the work tournament tomorrow... oh what is this?  It is canceled?  😢

Kenny, I got the low burner with the PW down, even added a little curve feature... right and left.  But after today’s practice, I definitely need a 48/49 wedge to fit between the Rocket PW (44) and the Gap (52)...

4 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Nothing like getting all dressed up with nowhere to go.

I finally came up with a swing that works (yes I realize it won’t now) from the 100 and in zone today.  Just in time for the work tournament tomorrow... oh what is this?  It is canceled?  😢

Kenny, I got the low burner with the PW down, even added a little curve feature... right and left.  But after today’s practice, I definitely need a 48/49 wedge to fit between the Rocket PW (44) and the Gap (52)...

Hate it when that happens and I agree need something between that gap. I have also found that moving from an i500 gap at 50° even to a 52° blade wedge is enough of a gap, 110 to about 95 of I am not hammering the 52.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3