Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Shankster: A Solo Story / Take 38

I was looking at some of my past rounds...
Can a ball make that much of a difference?
I was playing the New AVX and playing lights out, moved back into the Pro V1 and started playing a lot worse?
Coincidence? or is that AVX “my ball”?

Could be. I typically play V1 and V1x. For a change I grabbed an AVX out of my bag and have hit my irons much more consistently. I only have 2 and was sad when I lost one this past weekend.

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15*  w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 915H 21* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype        
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :titleist-small: 54/12D, 60/8M w/:Accra iWedge 90 Graphite
Putter:   Sacks Parente MC 3 Stripe

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Could be. I typically play V1 and V1x. For a change I grabbed an AVX out of my bag and have hit my irons much more consistently. I only have 2 and was sad when I lost one this past weekend.

I was seeing better all around.  Then switched like a dummy.... ok, talked me into it.  Getting some more AVX’s

I was seeing better all around.  Then switched like a dummy.... ok, talked me into it.  Getting some more AVX’s

My only HIO was AVX .

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Snuck out to the range.  Not sure what to make of the driver and 3 wood set up.  I have to put the irons a few degrees open to start them right or they’d hook like crazy.  Driver and 3 wood the clubface looks super closed, but the start online and fade just a smidge... what is going on there now?  

edit: the irons is how I normally set up.

Did a wedge chart today.  @cnosil inspired me to make one.  I hit 10 of each of these took the average and came up with this.  Added the chip distances because I ways mess this one up.

Planning I’m adding the PW and 9 iron as well.  Also, leaning more towards a 48, 52, 56, 60 wedge set after doing this. 

30960EE0-8813-4D19-874D-7C5C4200335E.jpeg

Completely torn... today I decided to put some old swings on the ball...

Setting up “normally” felt really awkward... but man if the distance wasn’t much, much more.... but the miss was much, much bigger....

Common sense says stick with what I’m doing, but the flip side says... put the work in with a traditional swing that I did with this one... what a dilemma.

I did figure out how to get a longer backswing with the single plane... and 143 PW, 179 7 iron, 205 yard 5 iron is awesome... but it’s the 248 yard drives that suck.  When I miss a little it is punished severely.  

Do I take the the short and crooked driver as of late with the deadly accurate irons, or start over again with a longer and semi crooked driver.  This will take a significant amount of time... or I could bite the bullet and finally take a lesson... but who will understand what I am trying to do with the 1 plane deal?

40 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Setting up “normally” felt really awkward... but man if the distance wasn’t much, much more.... but the miss was much, much bigger....

Common sense says stick with what I’m doing, but the flip side says... put the work in with a traditional swing that I did with this one... what a dilemma.

I did figure out how to get a longer backswing with the single plane... and 143 PW, 179 7 iron, 205 yard 5 iron is awesome... but it’s the 248 yard drives that suck.  When I miss a little it is punished severely.  

Do I take the the short and crooked driver as of late with the deadly accurate irons, or start over again with a longer and semi crooked driver.  This will take a significant amount of time... or I could bite the bullet and finally take a lesson... but who will understand what I am trying to do with the 1 plane deal?

That does seem like a dilemma, and I have a bit of the reverse. My irons are a bit cleaner when I go more pronounced two planes, but I can keep the driver on the planet. For me I hit it about the same distance either way, though I am not a true one or single plane player, so I take the straight driver to avoid the penalties and just keep working on the irons.

I also get that about the lessons, its something I have contemplated, but I have some things I don't want to change, such as how extended my arm are from my body in the swing. It would be great if you could chat with some teaching pros before hand and see how comfortable you are with their style and if they could work with you given what you are not trying to change. Though I do suspect many would not feel comfortable teaching such a different swing from what they try and work with.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

48 minutes ago, Shankster said:

You need help.  Take several lessons.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

7 minutes ago, ejgaudette said:

That does seem like a dilemma, and I have a bit of the reverse. My irons are a bit cleaner when I go more pronounced two planes, but I can keep the driver on the planet. For me I hit it about the same distance either way, though I am not a true one or single plane player, so I take the straight driver to avoid the penalties and just keep working on the irons.

I also get that about the lessons, its something I have contemplated, but I have some things I don't want to change, such as how extended my arm are from my body in the swing. It would be great if you could chat with some teaching pros before hand and see how comfortable you are with their style and if they could work with you given what you are not trying to change. Though I do suspect many would not feel comfortable teaching such a different swing from what they try and work with.

Yeah.  That’s the problem.  I know this thing I’m doing works.  I play great gold when the driver behaves.  The irons are really like throwing darts.  Just stuck with anything over the 2 hybrid.

some days it’s bombs away and some it’s “oh *^>£”  ... golf anyways.

1 minute ago, Shankster said:

Yeah.  That’s the problem.  I know this thing I’m doing works.  I play great gold when the driver behaves.  The irons are really like throwing darts.  Just stuck with anything over the 2 hybrid.

some days it’s bombs away and some it’s “oh *^>£”  ... golf anyways.

Yes such is the game huh. I tend to get a bit hooky with the irons with my current swing, but not too bad, so I'll keep it. I can get up and down for par occasionally, but a lost ball or punch out is much harder to make up for.

:callaway-small: Epic Max LS 9° :Fuji: Ventus Blue 6X  (2021 Official Review) | :callaway-small:Epic Speed 18° Evenflow Riptide 70g 6.0
:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Motors Mitsubishi Chemical Holdings Chemical industry Mitsubishi  Rayon Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, mitsubishi, blue, company png |  PNGEgg Diamana S+ Blue 70 S | 
image.png.08bbf5bb553da418019f0db13c6f4f9a.png SMS 4-5/SMS Pro 6-PW  image.png.267751aa721ee9cf3944fa2ff070b98c.png  Steelfiber i95 S (2023 Official Review)
:ping-small: Glide 4.0 50°.12°S/54°.14°W/58°.6°T PING Z-Z115 Wedge Flex | :cleveland-small:  SOFT 11S Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0
:ping-small: Hoofer Bag | :titelist-small: Pro V1 | Right Handed | Tracked by :ShotScope: V3

• 2 weeks later...

The plot thickens.  I’m ditching this set up for anything other than partial swings.  I toyed around with a “normal” set up a few weeks ago.  Did an entire range session with it today.  I just don’t see any reason to continue down this road. 99.99% of golfers use a normal set up.  Time to join the crowd again.

Ive given it two shots, and I think it had helped my ball striking, but it’s time.  A new journey awaits.  Stay tuned for episode 2...

Shankster: A Questionable Choice

11 minutes ago, Shankster said:

The plot thickens.  I’m ditching this set up for anything other than partial swings.  I toyed around with a “normal” set up a few weeks ago.  Did an entire range session with it today.  I just don’t see any reason to continue down this road. 99.99% of golfers use a normal set up.  Time to join the crowd again.

Ive given it two shots, and I think it had helped my ball striking, but it’s time.  A new journey awaits.  Stay tuned for episode 2...

And 99.99% of golfers equates to a handicap average of 15 for men.  Just sayin'

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

16 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Golf is all about Questionable Choices. Tinkering is what makes the game fun (and frustrating). At least it did help an aspect of your game, which in the end is a net positive!

Follow my journey to enjoying golf and going low

Driver: :callaway-small:   Epic Max LS :Fuji:Ventus Black 6x 44.5" 

3wHL: :callaway-small: Rogue ST LS 75x  Tensei AV Blue w/ xlink

7w: :callaway-small:Apex UW 21* MMT 80S

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH Stiff plus 95g

4-AW: th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long, Soft stepped, MOI matched

Wedges     :cleveland-small: Zipcore 

Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1 69*/35" in blue 

Ball:  TBD

Shot Tracking: :ShotScope:

Bag: Vessel VLX 2.0

Grip: Lamkin Sonar +  Midsize 

My Reviews:

Caley 01X Driving Iron Review 2023

Max Swing Speed Training and Speed Progress: Current Speed 120 in the MGS Speed Challenge (updated 3/15/23)

:1332069271_TommyArmour:TAIII #2  Review here: TAIII Impact #2 Putter )

:cleveland-small: Zipcore Tour Rack 54/full and 58/mid (review here)

th.jpg.d6e2abdaeb04f007fd259c979f389de6.jpg  0211  2019 Unofficial Review

• Shankster changed the title to Shankster: An On-Plane Story

As Chapter 9 3/4 begins...

A bunch of positive things happened today during the round. I had to adjust my set-up several times away from the single plane set up, albeit not very much.  Most of the set up is the same, but I was noticing a lot of left misses with the irons, and right misses with the longer clubs.

Having no skill like bubba, I cannot make this work.... so, going back to a swing where it is mostly straight or slight fade seems to be a good idea... looking ahead, I foresee some issues in the short game.  I’ve messed with my swing so much that I can’t remember what I am doing sometimes.

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

... that I can’t remember what I am doing sometimes.

And you are not even in your 70's yet!!  Just wait.  When I figure something out on the range, I've forgotten it the next morning.  🙄

Good luck!!

44 minutes ago, Kenny B said:

And you are not even in your 70's yet!!  Just wait.  When I figure something out on the range, I've forgotten it the next morning.  🙄

Good luck!!

Haha.  Reminds me of a story.  I used to travel with my grandfather quite a bit to horseshoe tournaments through out the states.  We were headed out west one time, driving into the sun.  So he had his sunglasses on, we took a turn and a mountain blocked the sun.  He said “Nipper, (my nick name)... I’m going blind, I can’t see a damn thing!” Me as a 12 year old kid, initially freaked, then said, hey grandpa, take off your sunglasses.  😂😂

• Shankster changed the title to Shankster: A Solo Story / Take 37

Had enough school work for one day.  It was 70° here today and I was stuck inside working on a paper... ☹️ 

Here is a set up vs impact set of pictures.  Small tee to determine ball position... I would have sent this one through my neighbors window if there was a ball...

What do you think? Be brutal... I would be.

C8B8A053-3B8B-4B7C-B6F2-4D5013969723.png

5ED00442-96DB-4BA5-9B1E-567151C91B79.png

I think it looks pretty good;  but I don't know nuthin about analyzing a swing. 

Backup Putters:  :odyssey-small: Milled Collection RSX 2, :seemore-small: mFGP2, :cameron-small: Futura 5W, :taylormade-small:TM-180

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Video shows a steep transition.  Not an OTT but noticeably steeper... similar to Rickie and Jimenez.... need to hit some golf balls.  Haven’t been able to in nearly 3 weeks.

That is why looking at 2 positions doesn't tell you a lot.  seems like you are in good position,  but don't know how you got there.  

On 10/28/2020 at 12:00 PM, Shankster said:

I think I got it sorted out @Kenny B, had my shoulders top level at address, which led to the right Arm being on top.  A little more tilt and a little more relaxed right arm and Bam! A 5 yard fade, that I can work with.  I’ll get this game figured out one of these days.

Uh huh...lol.

Edited by silver & black

3 hours ago, Shankster said:

Had enough school work for one day.  It was 70° here today and I was stuck inside working on a paper... ☹️ 

Here is a set up vs impact set of pictures.  Small tee to determine ball position... I would have sent this one through my neighbors window if there was a ball...

What do you think? Be brutal... I would be.

C8B8A053-3B8B-4B7C-B6F2-4D5013969723.png

5ED00442-96DB-4BA5-9B1E-567151C91B79.png

Looks pretty classic Moe Norman from DTL except the back foot is lifting (not a bad thing though IMO); can't really tell without a face-on view.  

I don't think of Rickie or MAJ as having a steep transition.  They have very flat backswings, and they have to get a little steeper so they can hit the ball but I would call it steep at all.

7 hours ago, Kenny B said:

Looks pretty classic Moe Norman from DTL except the back foot is lifting (not a bad thing though IMO); can't really tell without a face-on view.  

I don't think of Rickie or MAJ as having a steep transition.  They have very flat backswings, and they have to get a little steeper so they can hit the ball but I would call it steep at all.

Yeah, that’s what I meant.  My backswing is flat too, working on that.

• 3 months later...

This was a great read! What a journey. I started mine about 9 months ago. Started with the Graves/Moe method (Kenny helped my with some training aids) the first 6 months, but I couldn't get comfortable with distance from the ball to swing like Moe. Also being shorter, Graves ball position/stance width was too wide for me and I was just too inconsistent. Almost wanted to give it up. Then I started following a lot more Kirk Junge over the last 3-4 months (also tempted since he is only about 45 min from me now in South Florida) and find his hybrid setup for impact method must more comfortable for me (narrower stance but still use the Graves ball position, and don't have to worry about keeping back foot down). Both Graves and Junge say its all about the setup and find my misses are all setup dependent. Originally, my SPS miss was a straight hook ending up 35 yards left of target. When getting re-fitted for iron shafts (I'll tell you about that in a moment) I found out my face to path was about 3.5 degrees closed. Fitting seeing that it's said it's about 10yds offline for every degree face is closed/open. I had too much forward shaft lean delofting/closing the face. Fixed my "rod" lead arm and got the face more to square which seems to straighten things out. 

Going back to fitting, when going from the 2 plane to SPS, did you get refit? Or sounds like you will as you explore single length or graphite shafts? I was fitted in my clubs (PXG 0211 with TT Elevevate 95 Stiff, 2 deg flat, 84 mph swing speed) Jan 2020 with a conventional swing. Sortly after switching to SPS, I gained some good club head speed (about 7mph with irons and 13mph with driver) but was hooking consistantly. I just couldn't control my club face. Also, I noticed a brig drop in smash factor. I really had to be deliberate and slow my swing (6i to about 75-77mph - even slower than when originally fit) to keep ball flight straight and get smash factor back up. So I went to get re-fit for shafts this Jan, and moved up to KBS C-Taper 120g Stiff. Talk about going boardy in shafts!! Also moved up grips to midsize from standard (just couldn't bring myself to dive into the JumboMax). Now no swing thoughts about technical address or what I need to do and I can just swing away. 6i is about 91mph now and hitting straight and baby draws. Makes me wonder how many people get frustrated with SPS without proper fitting or realizing thier gains. Like me, maybe their 2 plane sticks might not be the right setup for SPS?

Recently, also switched to the Bryson ball, Bridgestone Tour B X (Previously played Snell MTB-X) and it's been a world of difference! That ball is awesome (only complaint is a little firm/clicky on the putter). With new shafts and gamer ball I got my 6i up to a 182 avg carry. Drives are about 275 average total with the occassional 300+ dropped in. I highly recommend the Tour B X. 

Like you at one time, I'm at a point now where my short game is costing me a lot of strokes. I just cant get comfortable. More often thin misses and with some occassional fatties thrown in. Constantly trying to adjust something so I'm in my own head. I'm losing at least 10 stokes with wedges 75yds in. Just hard to get the practice time in with a 7 month old baby!

Following as I'd love to hear more on your progress!

Edited by RDel90

Bag: Sub 70 Cart Series bag

Driver: Ping G425 LST 9 deg (set to 7.5 deg/"big minus") Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 55g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

3W: Ping G410 14.5 deg (Set to 13.5 deg) Mitsubishi C6 Blue Stiff 65g Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Hybrid: 19 deg (Set to 18) deg Ping G410 hybrid Mitsubishi C6 Black Stiff 80g Grip JumboMax Ultralite (=std grip Jumbo size)

Irons: 5-GW Irons Cobra Forged Tec X KBS Tour Lite Regular -0.25" Grip JumboMax (=std grip Jumbo size)

Wedges: 50-07 S-grind, 54-08 D-grind and 58-12 deg D-grind Mizuno T22 Denim Copper Grip Golf Pride Z-Grip

Putter:  Cobra King 3D Printed Agera Armlock Putter 41"

Game Ball: Maxfli TourX CG 

11 hours ago, RDel90 said:

This was a great read! What a journey. I started mine about 9 months ago. Started with the Graves/Moe method (Kenny helped my with some training aids) the first 6 months, but I couldn't get comfortable with distance from the ball to swing like Moe. Also being shorter, Graves ball position/stance width was too wide for me and I was just too inconsistent. Almost wanted to give it up. Then I started following a lot more Kirk Junge over the last 3-4 months (also tempted since he is only about 45 min from me now in South Florida) and find his hybrid setup for impact method must more comfortable for me (narrower stance but still use the Graves ball position, and don't have to worry about keeping back foot down). Both Graves and Junge say its all about the setup and find my misses are all setup dependent. Originally, my SPS miss was a straight hook ending up 35 yards left of target. When getting re-fitted for iron shafts (I'll tell you about that in a moment) I found out my face to path was about 3.5 degrees closed. Fitting seeing that it's said it's about 10yds offline for every degree face is closed/open. I had too much forward shaft lean delofting/closing the face. Fixed my "rod" lead arm and got the face more to square which seems to straighten things out. 

Going back to fitting, when going from the 2 plane to SPS, did you get refit? Or sounds like you will as you explore single length or graphite shafts? I was fitted in my clubs (PXG 0211 with TT Elevevate 95 Stiff, 2 deg flat, 84 mph swing speed) Jan 2020 with a conventional swing. Sortly after switching to SPS, I gained some good club head speed (about 7mph with irons and 13mph with driver) but was hooking consistantly. I just couldn't control my club face. Also, I noticed a brig drop in smash factor. I really had to be deliberate and slow my swing (6i to about 75-77mph - even slower than when originally fit) to keep ball flight straight and get smash factor back up. So I went to get re-fit for shafts this Jan, and moved up to KBS C-Taper 120g Stiff. Talk about going boardy in shafts!! Also moved up grips to midsize from standard (just couldn't bring myself to dive into the JumboMax). Now no swing thoughts about technical address or what I need to do and I can just swing away. 6i is about 91mph now and hitting straight and baby draws. Makes me wonder how many people get frustrated with SPS without proper fitting or realizing thier gains. Like me, maybe their 2 plane sticks might not be the right setup for SPS?

Recently, also switched to the Bryson ball, Bridgestone Tour B X (Previously played Snell MTB-X) and it's been a world of difference! That ball is awesome (only complaint is a little firm/clicky on the putter). With new shafts and gamer ball I got my 6i up to a 182 avg carry. Drives are about 275 average total with the occassional 300+ dropped in. I highly recommend the Tour B X. 

Like you at one time, I'm at a point now where my short game is costing me a lot of strokes. I just cant get comfortable. More often thin misses and with some occassional fatties thrown in. Constantly trying to adjust something so I'm in my own head. I'm losing at least 10 stokes with wedges 75yds in. Just hard to get the practice time in with a 7 month old baby!

Following as I'd love to hear more on your progress!

I was going to ask how the training was going, so thanks for the update.  Moe's method works for some, but not for others.  It really helped me, but at a cost of shorter distance off the tee.  Yes, it eliminated my slice, but at a cost of distance.  That's why I gave it up.  I couldn't make the Graves short game method they taught work for me either.  I was better off picking what setup worked best for me, and then spending a lot of time hitting lots of balls.  I still practice the short stuff a lot or I lose my feels.