Our Sponsors

5 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I am a count on the ball stopping quickly player.  Hopefully this shot will check up nicely, if not I’ll have to change my strategy a bit.

It should if ball contact is good.

• Like 1

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today was one of the greatest days of my life. It would take me a while to explain to you all, but I’ll just say it all makes sense now. Just left the range... unbelievable ball striking. After re

Ok. You talked me into it. How does it look?

The Shankster: A One Plane Story has been cancelled. Last time out I played with a very low to + handicap, he noticed that I was taking about a half backswing. Never really thought of it, but I am g

Posted Images

High noon showdown today.

It could get interesting, hopefully I worked out the steep transition.  

Golf is such a fickle game, 3 weeks ago I was playing lights out, last week I wanted to give up the game again. This always brings my confidence level down a little, which leads me to play bad again. 

Trying something new today with the warm up, going to add in a reminder aid on the range to cure the steep shots (if they are still there) 

It feels like my left knee is moving further off the ball than usual. Something I struggled with using the normal golf swing. 

70 or 100 it will be a good day.

• Like 5

I think I figured out my waywardness...

If my left hand grip isn’t ridiculously weak I suck at golf.  I mean almost underneath the club, then a moderately strong right hand.  Was just hitting some amazing stinger 52° shots.  A lot of bite in that shot....

Now the all important part.  REMEMBER TO DO THAT ON THE COURSE!

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I think I figured out my waywardness...

If my left hand grip isn’t ridiculously weak I suck at golf.  I mean almost underneath the club, then a moderately strong right hand.  Was just hitting some amazing stinger 52° shots.  A lot of bite in that shot....

Now the all important part.  REMEMBER TO DO THAT ON THE COURSE!

Do whatever works, but IMO changing your grip for a specific shot can lead to problems.  One grip for full shots, another for wedges; eventually it will lead to some combination grip that doesn't work for anything.

I say this because Been there; Done that.  I think it's better to find out why it works, or better yet why it doesn't work with a normal grip.  Then you can work on the real issue.

• Like 3

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

Do whatever works, but IMO changing your grip for a specific shot can lead to problems.  One grip for full shots, another for wedges; eventually it will lead to some combination grip that doesn't work for anything.

I say this because Been there; Done that.  I think it's better to find out why it works, or better yet why it doesn't work with a normal grip.  Then you can work on the real issue.

I should have specified.  This is for all shots.  I can’t seem to get the club head back to square with any club without doing this.  It also gives me the ability to do the hold off finish that I am used to, very shut clubface and just swing the daylights out of it.

• Like 3
22 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I should have specified.  This is for all shots.  I can’t seem to get the club head back to square with any club without doing this.  It also gives me the ability to do the hold off finish that I am used to, very shut clubface and just swing the daylights out of it.

Well then...   Groove it!!!

giphy.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Finally!  Got the short game area to myself for about 45 minutes.

Worked on Wedge full swings.

PW: is dead on 143 yards (I’m pretty satisfied with that grouping from 143, room for improvement though.  That distance control 💪🏻)
7E87D46C-8ECB-42AF-902D-3D6EB682CCD0.jpeg.524807de86ee238405e3bd9faf24c4a5.jpeg

52°: is dead on 117 yards... (Not trying to hammer it)

58° is dead on 91 yards... (just too high)

20 ish yard gap between my Wedges... don’t think I like that.

• Like 3

Nothing like getting all dressed up with nowhere to go.

I finally came up with a swing that works (yes I realize it won’t now) from the 100 and in zone today.  Just in time for the work tournament tomorrow... oh what is this?  It is canceled?  😢

Kenny, I got the low burner with the PW down, even added a little curve feature... right and left.  But after today’s practice, I definitely need a 48/49 wedge to fit between the Rocket PW (44) and the Gap (52)...

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Nothing like getting all dressed up with nowhere to go.

I finally came up with a swing that works (yes I realize it won’t now) from the 100 and in zone today.  Just in time for the work tournament tomorrow... oh what is this?  It is canceled?  😢

Kenny, I got the low burner with the PW down, even added a little curve feature... right and left.  But after today’s practice, I definitely need a 48/49 wedge to fit between the Rocket PW (44) and the Gap (52)...

Hate it when that happens and I agree need something between that gap. I have also found that moving from an i500 gap at 50° even to a 52° blade wedge is enough of a gap, 110 to about 95 of I am not hammering the 52.

• Like 1

Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

Cobra Golf Vector Logo - (.SVG   .PNG) - FindVectorLogo.Com Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:cleveland-small: CG16 56°/12 Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 60° 2 Dot Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:ping-small:  Karsten Series Anser Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

Right Handed

I was looking at some of my past rounds...

Can a ball make that much of a difference?

I was playing the New AVX and playing lights out, moved back into the Pro V1 and started playing a lot worse?

Coincidence? or is that AVX “my ball”?

I was looking at some of my past rounds...
Can a ball make that much of a difference?
I was playing the New AVX and playing lights out, moved back into the Pro V1 and started playing a lot worse?
Coincidence? or is that AVX “my ball”?

Could be. I typically play V1 and V1x. For a change I grabbed an AVX out of my bag and have hit my irons much more consistently. I only have 2 and was sad when I lost one this past weekend.
  • Like 2

Driver:  :ping-small: G400 Max 9* w/ KBS Tour Driven
Fairway: :titelist-small: TS3 15* set  to 16.5* w/Project X Hzardous Smoke
Hybrids:  :titelist-small: 816H1 19* set at 18* w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
                :titelist-small: 915H  21*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
               :titelist-small: 915H 24*  w/KBS Tour Graphite Hybrid Prototype
Irons:      :honma:TR20V 6-11 w/Vizard TR20-85 Graphite
Wedge:  :cleveland-small: 588 54-14, 58-12
Putter:  :odyssey-small: Ten S      Backups:  :bobby-grace-1: 6330,   :EVNROLL: ER2.2,  

Member:  MGS Hitsquad since 2017697979773_DSCN2368(Custom).JPG.a1a25f5e430d9eebae93c5d652cbd4b9.JPG

2 minutes ago, cnosil said:

Could be. I typically play V1 and V1x. For a change I grabbed an AVX out of my bag and have hit my irons much more consistently. I only have 2 and was sad when I lost one this past weekend.

I was seeing better all around.  Then switched like a dummy.... ok, talked me into it.  Getting some more AVX’s

• Like 2
I was seeing better all around.  Then switched like a dummy.... ok, talked me into it.  Getting some more AVX’s

My only HIO was AVX .

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 1

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; Ping G410 Plus

5 Wood; Cally Steelhead 

5 Hybrid; Cally Steelhead

Irons; Ping G410 5-SW & Mizno 919 Hot Metal 5-SW

Putter; Waaay too many to list

Snuck out to the range.  Not sure what to make of the driver and 3 wood set up.  I have to put the irons a few degrees open to start them right or they’d hook like crazy.  Driver and 3 wood the clubface looks super closed, but the start online and fade just a smidge... what is going on there now?  

edit: the irons is how I normally set up.

Did a wedge chart today.  @cnosil inspired me to make one.  I hit 10 of each of these took the average and came up with this.  Added the chip distances because I ways mess this one up.

Planning I’m adding the PW and 9 iron as well.  Also, leaning more towards a 48, 52, 56, 60 wedge set after doing this. 

30960EE0-8813-4D19-874D-7C5C4200335E.jpeg

• Like 2

Completely torn... today I decided to put some old swings on the ball...

Setting up “normally” felt really awkward... but man if the distance wasn’t much, much more.... but the miss was much, much bigger....

Common sense says stick with what I’m doing, but the flip side says... put the work in with a traditional swing that I did with this one... what a dilemma.

I did figure out how to get a longer backswing with the single plane... and 143 PW, 179 7 iron, 205 yard 5 iron is awesome... but it’s the 248 yard drives that suck.  When I miss a little it is punished severely.  

Do I take the the short and crooked driver as of late with the deadly accurate irons, or start over again with a longer and semi crooked driver.  This will take a significant amount of time... or I could bite the bullet and finally take a lesson... but who will understand what I am trying to do with the 1 plane deal?

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Setting up “normally” felt really awkward... but man if the distance wasn’t much, much more.... but the miss was much, much bigger....

Common sense says stick with what I’m doing, but the flip side says... put the work in with a traditional swing that I did with this one... what a dilemma.

I did figure out how to get a longer backswing with the single plane... and 143 PW, 179 7 iron, 205 yard 5 iron is awesome... but it’s the 248 yard drives that suck.  When I miss a little it is punished severely.  

Do I take the the short and crooked driver as of late with the deadly accurate irons, or start over again with a longer and semi crooked driver.  This will take a significant amount of time... or I could bite the bullet and finally take a lesson... but who will understand what I am trying to do with the 1 plane deal?

That does seem like a dilemma, and I have a bit of the reverse. My irons are a bit cleaner when I go more pronounced two planes, but I can keep the driver on the planet. For me I hit it about the same distance either way, though I am not a true one or single plane player, so I take the straight driver to avoid the penalties and just keep working on the irons.

I also get that about the lessons, its something I have contemplated, but I have some things I don't want to change, such as how extended my arm are from my body in the swing. It would be great if you could chat with some teaching pros before hand and see how comfortable you are with their style and if they could work with you given what you are not trying to change. Though I do suspect many would not feel comfortable teaching such a different swing from what they try and work with.

• Like 1

Follow My Super Speed Progress Here 

Cobra Golf Vector Logo - (.SVG   .PNG) - FindVectorLogo.Com Cobra Speedzone Extreme 9° Mitshubishi Tensei AV Blue 65 Stiff Flex

:taylormade-small: '07 Burner 15° Reax 50 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 18° Fujikura Speeder HB 8.8 Stiff Flex

:titelist-small: 816 H1 21° Mitsubishi Diamana S+ Blue 70 Stiff Flex

:ping-small:  I500 5 - UW Red Dot Dynamic Gold S300

:cleveland-small: CG16 56°/12 Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:cleveland-small: Tour Action 60° 2 Dot Stock Traction Steel Wedge Flex

:ping-small:  Karsten Series Anser Super Stroke Mid-Slim 2.0

Right Handed

48 minutes ago, Shankster said:

You need help.  Take several lessons.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kenny B said:

You need help.  Take several lessons.

I need help.  That’s for sure. 😂😂

I am close to a break through....

• Haha 1
Just now, Shankster said:

I need help.  That’s for sure. 😂😂

I am close to a break through.... down

FIFY  🤣

• Like 1

• Shankster changed the title to Shankster: An On-Plane Story