perseveringgolfer

difference in Callaway Chromesoft and 'X'

Interested in anyone who has used the chromesoft and the chromesoft 'X' with regard to feel/distance/spin on mid irons and around the green, plus feel and sound off the putter?

I think I might like the X, I 'quite' like the chromesoft (only tried 2017 model) and I'm looking to settle on one ball going forward.

I liked the Z star XV but found it too firm and clicky on putts, maybe the ordinary Z star might compare well with chromesoft.

I'm having trouble getting a hold of all these types to compare myself.

Slow...?

• Like 1

The Chrome Soft X sounds and feels god awful

• Like 2

The Chrome Soft X sounds and feels god awful

True. I’ve tried a lot of different brands over the last year.

They both have an odd feeling to them. Don’t “feel” soft as advertised, but that’s all relative to the user.

To me they feel “sound” like the Taylormade TP red/black.

Best way I can describe it is it sounds like a cue stick on a firm break.
  • Like 1

Thanks all, think I need to try the 'normal' Z star especially as their rating on MGS ball testing proved so good.

A point about the chromesoft that niggles in my head is I used one in a comp 3 weeks ago, and on a par 5 my tee shot reacted like a poor range ball, it started with a slight push right then suddenly did a banana slice way out of bounds. I don't slice the ball, ever, I do get push fades and pull hooks but never anything like that. I think MGS ball testing talked about this exact issue I believe.

Trouble round here is I tried 5 different places and no-one sells Z star, just have to buy online I think.

• Like 1

What are you looking for out of the ball?

More distance, less spin?

More spin?

Feel?

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

What are you looking for out of the ball?

More distance, less spin?

More spin?

Feel?

Feel

less spin on driver

more spin around the greens

NO clicky sound on putts or wedges

Distance? well I'm not long but I'm not short either, Driver SS around 100mph and 6 iron around 88mph so I don't need distance exactly but some extra yards with the driver would be welcome. My old Titleist 910D3 had too much spin def costing me yards, some drives would spin back a foot lol

• Like 1

What’s the ball of choice at the moment?

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

What’s the ball of choice at the moment?

there isnt one- but I've been playing Prov1's and prov1x most of the year, except last 4 weeks was the Z star XV but I'm not 'comfortable' with it- hence the need to get a ball I like and will play religiously. 

Interested in anyone who has used the chromesoft and the chromesoft 'X' with regard to feel/distance/spin on mid irons and around the green, plus feel and sound off the putter?

I think I might like the X, I 'quite' like the chromesoft (only tried 2017 model) and I'm looking to settle on one ball going forward.
I liked the Z star XV but found it too firm and clicky on putts, maybe the ordinary Z star might compare well with chromesoft.

I'm having trouble getting a hold of all these types to compare myself.

Chrome Soft X from last year are the “hardest” feeling ball I’ve ever played. Sadly, I ordered 4 dozen personalized before I tried them. I still have 2 dozen left! Horrible.
I play mostly X balls, and have lately enjoyed Pro V1, but I still play XV, TP5X, and V1X. I bought a dozen Bridgestone BX and REALLY liked those for total performance!!! I may go to those next year full-time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

Soft = Slow, and I cannot bring myself to hit another Callaway ball until they fix their quality control issues.  And this is a real shame, as I used to really like the Callaway iX and the Spalding urethane balls that came before Callaway bought Spalding's golf division (like the old Strata).

• Like 2

there isnt one- but I've been playing Prov1's and prov1x most of the year, except last 4 weeks was the Z star XV but I'm not 'comfortable' with it- hence the need to get a ball I like and will play religiously. 

Wilson Staff FG Tour available over on that side of the pond?

19 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Wilson Staff FG Tour available over on that side of the pond?

quick google shows it is- cant see what compression it is though?

Z star is 90 which is what I used to play as a kid, chromesoft is softer I think

23 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

quick google shows it is- cant see what compression it is though?

Z star is 90 which is what I used to play as a kid, chromesoft is softer I think

Better off using the the compression scores from the MGS ball test.  Companies only list compression rating of the core.  However, in 3/4/5 piece golf balls, the thickness, density and makeup of the other layers play a big part into overall compression and feel.  

Found this after digging around, from the golf warehouse. I know the 2015 models were 70, I think the 2017’s were 75, and this is saying the 19’s are 70.

The 2015 model is my favorite golf ball ever. I might have to get the new ones if they are in fact 70.

IMG_6319.PNG

I don't know why you would switch away from the Pro VI or Pro VIx other than price (although they can be had for a reasonable price at times of the year when they are buy 3 get one free.)  They were in the top category in the MGS test and while we know that tour players are paid to play there must be something to the fact that 70 percent of the guys on tour use one of these balls including a ton of Callaway players who break rank.

Compression really means nothing - if you swing faster than 80 mph you swing fast enough to compress any ball out there with driver.  It's not like it was when we were kids and balls were an outer layer, a bunch of rubber bounds and liquid center.  They know have different pieces that perform different functions. 

If you must stray Srixon makes a great ball.

Good luck!

46 minutes ago, revkev said:

I don't know why you would switch away from the Pro VI or Pro VIx other than price (although they can be had for a reasonable price at times of the year when they are buy 3 get one free.)  They were in the top category in the MGS test and while we know that tour players are paid to play there must be something to the fact that 70 percent of the guys on tour use one of these balls including a ton of Callaway players who break rank.

Compression really means nothing - if you swing faster than 80 mph you swing fast enough to compress any ball out there with driver.  It's not like it was when we were kids and balls were an outer layer, a bunch of rubber bounds and liquid center.  They know have different pieces that perform different functions. 

If you must stray Srixon makes a great ball.

Good luck!

Price isn’t that big between the premium balls these days. It’s around $3-5/dozen across the brands.

18 hours ago, jlukes said:

Better off using the the compression scores from the MGS ball test.  Companies only list compression rating of the core.  However, in 3/4/5 piece golf balls, the thickness, density and makeup of the other layers play a big part into overall compression and feel.  

Now that is interesting as it states the Z Star xv average over 111! and the Z star avg 100. 

Back in the day most balls were 90 and a hard ball was 100, anything above that was a rock! Explains why I feel the xv is a tad too firm/hard for my liking.

How can Srixon (and others) claim a 90 compression when the average in the MGS test was over 100?

So Z star is 100 average but with a soft feeling cover, similar to the Prov1 2019.

@revkev I was looking to change after years of Prov1 as they look old and off white after just a few holes. Z star and Prov1 are very close on price.

4 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Now that is interesting as it states the Z Star xv average over 111! and the Z star avg 100. 

Back in the day most balls were 90 and a hard ball was 100, anything above that was a rock! Explains why I feel the xv is a tad too firm/hard for my liking.

How can Srixon (and others) claim a 90 compression when the average in the MGS test was over 100?

So Z star is 100 average but with a soft feeling cover, similar to the Prov1 2019.

@revkev I was looking to change after years of Prov1 as they look old and off white after just a few holes. Z star and Prov1 are very close on price.

As I said, OEM numbers are compression of just the core