TESTERS WANTED! ×

difference in Callaway Chromesoft and 'X'

Interested in anyone who has used the chromesoft and the chromesoft 'X' with regard to feel/distance/spin on mid irons and around the green, plus feel and sound off the putter?

I think I might like the X, I 'quite' like the chromesoft (only tried 2017 model) and I'm looking to settle on one ball going forward.

I liked the Z star XV but found it too firm and clicky on putts, maybe the ordinary Z star might compare well with chromesoft.

I'm having trouble getting a hold of all these types to compare myself.

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

2 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Slow...?

Slow and slower 😃

Driver: PXG 0811 X+ Proto w/UST Helium 5F4

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

Hybrid: PXG Gen2 22* w/AD hybrid

Irons: PXG Gen3 0311T w/Nippon modus 120

Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 50*, Tiger grind 56/60

Putter: Scotty Caemeron Super Rat1

Ball: Titleist Prov1

The Chrome Soft X sounds and feels god awful

True. I’ve tried a lot of different brands over the last year.

They both have an odd feeling to them. Don’t “feel” soft as advertised, but that’s all relative to the user.

To me they feel “sound” like the Taylormade TP red/black.

Best way I can describe it is it sounds like a cue stick on a firm break.

Thanks all, think I need to try the 'normal' Z star especially as their rating on MGS ball testing proved so good.

A point about the chromesoft that niggles in my head is I used one in a comp 3 weeks ago, and on a par 5 my tee shot reacted like a poor range ball, it started with a slight push right then suddenly did a banana slice way out of bounds. I don't slice the ball, ever, I do get push fades and pull hooks but never anything like that. I think MGS ball testing talked about this exact issue I believe.

Trouble round here is I tried 5 different places and no-one sells Z star, just have to buy online I think.

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

1 hour ago, Shankster said:

What are you looking for out of the ball?

More distance, less spin?

More spin?

Feel?

Feel

less spin on driver

more spin around the greens

NO clicky sound on putts or wedges

Distance? well I'm not long but I'm not short either, Driver SS around 100mph and 6 iron around 88mph so I don't need distance exactly but some extra yards with the driver would be welcome. My old Titleist 910D3 had too much spin def costing me yards, some drives would spin back a foot lol

2 hours ago, Shankster said:

What’s the ball of choice at the moment?

there isnt one- but I've been playing Prov1's and prov1x most of the year, except last 4 weeks was the Z star XV but I'm not 'comfortable' with it- hence the need to get a ball I like and will play religiously. 

Interested in anyone who has used the chromesoft and the chromesoft 'X' with regard to feel/distance/spin on mid irons and around the green, plus feel and sound off the putter?

I think I might like the X, I 'quite' like the chromesoft (only tried 2017 model) and I'm looking to settle on one ball going forward.
I liked the Z star XV but found it too firm and clicky on putts, maybe the ordinary Z star might compare well with chromesoft.

I'm having trouble getting a hold of all these types to compare myself.

Chrome Soft X from last year are the “hardest” feeling ball I’ve ever played. Sadly, I ordered 4 dozen personalized before I tried them. I still have 2 dozen left! Horrible.
I play mostly X balls, and have lately enjoyed Pro V1, but I still play XV, TP5X, and V1X. I bought a dozen Bridgestone BX and REALLY liked those for total performance!!! I may go to those next year full-time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Driver: Ping G430 Max 9*, Ping Tour 70X

Fairway: Ping G425 15*, Ping Tour 70X

Hybrid: Ping G425 22*, Ping Tour 80X

Irons:  Ping i230 4-GW, TT DG X100

Wedges: :edel-golf-1: SMS 50D/54V/58D:Nippon:Modus 130 stiff, +1”

Putter:  :edel-golf-1: EAS 1.0

Ball: Titleist 2023 AVX

Soft = Slow, and I cannot bring myself to hit another Callaway ball until they fix their quality control issues.  And this is a real shame, as I used to really like the Callaway iX and the Spalding urethane balls that came before Callaway bought Spalding's golf division (like the old Strata).

What's in the bag:
Driver - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Wood (13.5*) - :titleist-small: 980F 
4 Wood (18*) - :cobra-small: F8 - Aldila NV Blue 60 ( S )
3 Hybrid (19*) - :taylormade-small: RBZ
4i - PW - :wilson_staff_small: D7 Forged - Recoil 760 ( S )
52* - :cleveland-small: CBX
58* - :cleveland-small: CBX Full Face 2
Putter - :ping-small: Craz-e
Bag - :1590477705_SunMountain: 2.5 (Blue)
Ball -  :titleist-small: AVX
Instagram - @hardcorelooper
Twitter - @meovino
Facebook - mike.eovino

19 minutes ago, Shankster said:

Wilson Staff FG Tour available over on that side of the pond?

quick google shows it is- cant see what compression it is though?

Z star is 90 which is what I used to play as a kid, chromesoft is softer I think

23 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

quick google shows it is- cant see what compression it is though?

Z star is 90 which is what I used to play as a kid, chromesoft is softer I think

Better off using the the compression scores from the MGS ball test.  Companies only list compression rating of the core.  However, in 3/4/5 piece golf balls, the thickness, density and makeup of the other layers play a big part into overall compression and feel.  

I don't know why you would switch away from the Pro VI or Pro VIx other than price (although they can be had for a reasonable price at times of the year when they are buy 3 get one free.)  They were in the top category in the MGS test and while we know that tour players are paid to play there must be something to the fact that 70 percent of the guys on tour use one of these balls including a ton of Callaway players who break rank.

Compression really means nothing - if you swing faster than 80 mph you swing fast enough to compress any ball out there with driver.  It's not like it was when we were kids and balls were an outer layer, a bunch of rubber bounds and liquid center.  They know have different pieces that perform different functions. 

If you must stray Srixon makes a great ball.

Good luck!

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

46 minutes ago, revkev said:

I don't know why you would switch away from the Pro VI or Pro VIx other than price (although they can be had for a reasonable price at times of the year when they are buy 3 get one free.)  They were in the top category in the MGS test and while we know that tour players are paid to play there must be something to the fact that 70 percent of the guys on tour use one of these balls including a ton of Callaway players who break rank.

Compression really means nothing - if you swing faster than 80 mph you swing fast enough to compress any ball out there with driver.  It's not like it was when we were kids and balls were an outer layer, a bunch of rubber bounds and liquid center.  They know have different pieces that perform different functions. 

If you must stray Srixon makes a great ball.

Good luck!

Price isn’t that big between the premium balls these days. It’s around $3-5/dozen across the brands.

Wood: TaylorMade M5 5W w/Accra TZ5 +1/2”, TaylorMade Sim 3W w/Aldila rogue white

18 hours ago, jlukes said:

Better off using the the compression scores from the MGS ball test.  Companies only list compression rating of the core.  However, in 3/4/5 piece golf balls, the thickness, density and makeup of the other layers play a big part into overall compression and feel.  

Now that is interesting as it states the Z Star xv average over 111! and the Z star avg 100. 

Back in the day most balls were 90 and a hard ball was 100, anything above that was a rock! Explains why I feel the xv is a tad too firm/hard for my liking.

How can Srixon (and others) claim a 90 compression when the average in the MGS test was over 100?

So Z star is 100 average but with a soft feeling cover, similar to the Prov1 2019.

@revkev I was looking to change after years of Prov1 as they look old and off white after just a few holes. Z star and Prov1 are very close on price.

4 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

Now that is interesting as it states the Z Star xv average over 111! and the Z star avg 100. 

Back in the day most balls were 90 and a hard ball was 100, anything above that was a rock! Explains why I feel the xv is a tad too firm/hard for my liking.

How can Srixon (and others) claim a 90 compression when the average in the MGS test was over 100?

So Z star is 100 average but with a soft feeling cover, similar to the Prov1 2019.

@revkev I was looking to change after years of Prov1 as they look old and off white after just a few holes. Z star and Prov1 are very close on price.

As I said, OEM numbers are compression of just the core 

On 8/16/2019 at 8:59 AM, perseveringgolfer said:

... I have always loved the Z Star. The XV should be a better ball for me but like you, I found them too hard and clicky. It checks all your boxes. Thankfully I tried the 2019 XV and it is much softer feeling than previous versions. So I took advantage of the Golfdiscount Srixon XV sale of 6 balls for $9.99 so $19.98 a dozen. (Thanks to GS-CG2 for the heads up) Free shipping in the US for orders over $99 so I picked up 10 dozen for $199. Not sure what the shipping is to you but it might be worth a look:

https://www.golfdiscount.com/srixon-z-star-xv-6-performance-pack-golf-balls-6-balls

Driver:     :taylormade-small:  Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :cobra-small: Aerojet 3/5 ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:      430 Hybrid 22*... Steelfiber 780Hy 
                  :taylormade-small:  DHy #4 ... Diamana LTD 65r 
Irons:       :titleist-small:         '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :taylormade-small: Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:  Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli     Maxfli Tour

I have played the Chrome soft or X for the previous 2 seasons prior to the ball test, and I don’t have any issues using this ball. I do see a lot of bias when it comes to Callaway though. Some folks don’t like the company, and will always give a bad review of anything from Cally. I would suggest buying 1 sleeve of the Chrome soft and Chrome soft x and try it for yourself. Then you decide if it is a ball you like. Based on the ball test I switched to the Bridgestone BXS. While this is a very good ball, I am having a very hard time controlling it from the tee. It is the same issue with the titleist balls, they have to much spin off of the driver. I am in the process of switching back to the yellow and black Truvis ball that seems to work for me. I say try any ball you want and find the one that works best for you. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

I think you should try the Zstar and, if you haven´t tried the new XV...Just do it. 

14 hours ago, chisag said:

Thankfully I tried the 2019 XV and it is much softer feeling than previous versions.

I´m absolutely with you.

But the only way to get your Ball... buy various sleeves (XV, Zstar, Prov1/x, TP5/x, Bridgstones...)

About feel: I thought, i will never use a firm balll.. After the MGS Test, i give them a long test, tried  a lot of balls. And say you what: i will never go back to a softer ball. 

For me, i have better accuracy from irons to the putter... the feel is unusual, but after a few rounds i love it. 

1 hour ago, Monaco said:

I think you should try the Zstar and, if you haven´t tried the new XV...Just do it. 

But the only way to get your Ball... buy various sleeves (XV, Zstar, Prov1/x, TP5/x, Bridgstones...)

As per the OP I have, hence why I want to change.

Tried all the ones above apart from ordinary Z star as they are hard to get here so have to buy a dozen online and that could be a waste of money as the dozen Z star XV's have proved to be.

5 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

As per the OP I have, hence why I want to change.

Tried all the ones above apart from ordinary Z star as they are hard to get here so have to buy a dozen online and that could be a waste of money as the dozen Z star XV's have proved to be.

... Well if you think the 2019 Srixon XV is too hard and clicky I am afraid a soft ball is your only option. I think the Z Star is a little softer than the XV but not by a wide margin so you are probably better off with one of the super soft options. 

15 hours ago, Kor.A.Door said:

I have played the Chrome soft or X for the previous 2 seasons prior to the ball test, and I don’t have any issues using this ball. I do see a lot of bias when it comes to Callaway though. Some folks don’t like the company, and will always give a bad review of anything from Cally. I would suggest buying 1 sleeve of the Chrome soft and Chrome soft x and try it for yourself. Then you decide if it is a ball you like. Based on the ball test I switched to the Bridgestone BXS. While this is a very good ball, I am having a very hard time controlling it from the tee. It is the same issue with the titleist balls, they have to much spin off of the driver. I am in the process of switching back to the yellow and black Truvis ball that seems to work for me. I say try any ball you want and find the one that works best for you. 

The pro bias for Callaway is a lot stronger than the anti bias. Most of those against the brand are that way based on experience with their gear or the aesthetics (or lack of depending on how you look at things). Others don’t like the brand because of their over the top marketing.

Every version of the CS and CSX have underperformed for me. The cf16 apex line were inconsistent in distances. 

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... Well if you think the 2019 Srixon XV is too hard and clicky I am afraid a *soft* ball is your only option. I think the Z Star is a little softer than the XV but not by a wide margin so you are probably better off with one of the super soft options

*softer*

no, tried them and they are like marshmallows, the XV isn't hard, it's just clicky. I think the Z star should/could tick the boxes

16 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

no, tried them and they are like marshmallows, the XV isn't hard, it's just clicky. I think the Z star should/could tick the boxes

For the vast majority of golfers clicky=hard

8 minutes ago, RickyBobby_PR said:

For the vast majority of golfers clicky=hard

ok its clicky and 'feels' hard. The prov1 and Prov1x dont feel hard or clicky, but they look old and off white very quickly into the round.

1 minute ago, perseveringgolfer said:

ok its clicky and 'feels' hard. The prov1 and Prov1x dont feel hard or clicky, but they look old and off white very quickly into the round.

... I'll bet when you go purse shopping it is a multi day affair. Too shiny, too much leather, not enough patent leather, too soft, too hard, too much color, not enough color, too many beads, not enough beads ... Hopefully you find a purse big enough to hold all the balls you don't like. 😉