Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

difference in Callaway Chromesoft and 'X'

1 hour ago, perseveringgolfer said:

ok its clicky and 'feels' hard. The prov1 and Prov1x dont feel hard or clicky, but they look old and off white very quickly into the round.

The ProV feels like a marshmallow, and the V1x sounds like a rock, and both of them impart way too much spin.  It’s all in the perception of who is using it. 

Lefties are always in their Right Mind

1 hour ago, chisag said:

... I'll bet when you go purse shopping it is a multi day affair. Too shiny, too much leather, not enough patent leather, too soft, too hard, too much color, not enough color, too many beads, not enough beads ... Hopefully you find a purse big enough to hold all the balls you don't like. 😉

if I can't you could always give me one of yours, maybe your old makeup purse

Driver     Awaiting NEW Driver (after 10 yrs)  
4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

Putter        'YES' Tracy 11 C groove 34.5"

45 minutes ago, Kor.A.Door said:

The ProV feels like a marshmallow, and the V1x sounds like a rock, and both of them impart way too much spin.  It’s all in the perception of who is using it. 

agreed- never heard anyone say a Prov is like a marshmallow. What ball do you play?

4 Wood   Callaway Big Bertha Steelhead plus 4+  :callaway-small: Callaway shaft in 'Firm' flex

Hybrid     Titleist 910H 19*    :titelist-small:   Diamana ahina 'flower' shaft in 'S'

Irons         Mizuno MP18SC 4-PW   :mizuno-small:  N.S Pro Modus3 Tour 105 in 'S'

Wedges    Callaway Mack Daddy forged in black 50* and 54*  :callaway-small:   KBS Tour in 'R'

5 minutes ago, perseveringgolfer said:

if I can't you could always give me one of yours, maybe your old makeup purse

... LOL, I have a make up case, big difference. 

Driver:     :taylormade-small:    Qi10 10.5* ... Ventus Red Velocore 5R
Fairway:  :taylormade-small:    Qi10 5 wood ... Kai'li Blue 60R
Hybrids:  :ping-small:        430 Hybrid 22*... Diamana LTD 65r  
                  :taylormade-small:    DHy #4 ... Steelfiber 780Hy  
Irons:       :titleist-small:           '23 T200 5-Pw ... Steelfiber i95r
Wedges:  :titleist-small:           Vokey 50*/54*/58* ... Steelfiber i95r
Putter:     :cobra-small:    Sport-60 33" 
Ball:           Maxfli/:taylormade-small:  Maxfli Tour/TP5x

On 8/17/2019 at 12:23 PM, HardcoreLooper said:

Soft = Slow, and I cannot bring myself to hit another Callaway ball until they fix their quality control issues.  And this is a real shame, as I used to really like the Callaway iX and the Spalding urethane balls that came before Callaway bought Spalding's golf division (like the old Strata).

I agree, I played the Chromesoft X all of last year and liked it.  I thought the feel was good as well as spin.  That being said, once the ball report came out AND the quality control issues (again thanks Mygolfspy for turning the industry upside down), I will not play Chromesoft anymore.  I switched over to the Bridgestone Tour BX and have found the ball for me!  It has a firmer feel but goes a mile!

Driver:  :callaway-small: Epic Flash Sub Zero Hzdrs Smoke x flex 70g

3 Wood:  :titelist-small: 917 w/ Diamana Whiteboard stiff

5 Wood : :callaway-small: Epic Flash 18* Hzdrs Smoke stiff

4 Hybrid: image.png.cf6ab25979c6727ff31e6cc6f719636c.png TSi3 Hzdrs Smoke X flex

Irons:  :callaway-small: 5-7  Apex forged 19 w/ Modus 120 X

9-A Apex Pro 19 w/ Modus 120 X

Wedges:  :callaway-small: MD5 52&56 Jaws Dynamic Gold wedge flex

Putter: :titelist-small: Scotty Cameron Phantom 5.5 34"

*softer*
no, tried them and they are like marshmallows, the XV isn't hard, it's just clicky. I think the Z star should/could tick the boxes

I would think the Z Star should tick all the boxes as well and as for price - Z Star's can definitely be had for less money than Pro V's. As Chisag already mentioned you can get really good deals on the Srixon's. I just got 5 dozen for $100 - hard to beat $20 per dozen. Both the Z Star and XV are really great balls with the "feel" being one of the major differences. I prefer the XV and honestly find it ideal for my game but if I wanted softer - the Z Star would be my pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

Just bought a dozen 6th generation Z stars (lots of earlier ones on ebay). You can get 3 dozen for 2 dozen price just now so works out at $31 a dozen.

Looks like my Prov1's will be used for bounce games and shag bag!

On 8/18/2019 at 1:06 PM, chisag said:

... I have always loved the Z Star. The XV should be a better ball for me but like you, I found them too hard and clicky. It checks all your boxes. Thankfully I tried the 2019 XV and it is much softer feeling than previous versions. So I took advantage of the Golfdiscount Srixon XV sale of 6 balls for $9.99 so $19.98 a dozen. (Thanks to GS-CG2 for the heads up) Free shipping in the US for orders over $99 so I picked up 10 dozen for $199. Not sure what the shipping is to you but it might be worth a look:

https://www.golfdiscount.com/srixon-z-star-xv-6-performance-pack-golf-balls-6-balls

Shout you for finding this deal. Just got 12 Srixon Zstar balls and 6 Zstar xv to try. I am wondering which ones will perform better for me as I have an avg ss of about 120mph for the driver. I really want to like the zstar due to greenside spin is greater than xv but I dont want to give up 10 yards in doing so. Anyways, extremely excited to give these balls a try.

WITB 2019

Driver: :taylormade-small:Taylormade M2 8.5 w/ Xstiff Aldila RIP Beta shaft

2 Iron: :taylormade-small:Talormade P790 UDI 17 degree w/ Hazardus Xstiff driver shaft

4-PW: :taylormade-small:Taylormade PSI iron w/ KBS C-taper stiff iron shafts

52 degree: :cleveland-small:Cleveland RTX 3

56 degree: :callaway-small:Callaway Mac Daddy 4

60 degree-::taylormade-small:Taylormade milled grind

Putter: :cameron-small:Scotty Cameron Dual Balance X5

Ball::titelist-small:ProV1x

Had to use the XV today (as the Z stars havent arrived yet), greens are soft and I expected spin back, ball stopped and came back a few inches on the green, great most of the time but I was attacking pins today and it was fun, but I would of liked some 'cash back' spin to get nearer. You cant really go wrong with either ball I think.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! I am glad I found this thread. I've all searching all season for a ball I really like. I've been using the Chromesoft for the past few years, but it feels really soft this year. Titleist seems to have changed the ProV/x and now I like the regular ProV.  I have't tried Srixons very much. I like the Z Star, but the XV feels way too hard for me. I am trying the Bridgestone RX right now.  For reference, I am 59 and swing speed gets to 100 (or pretty close). I've always put a lot of spin on the ball so I'd like to go with a lower spinner.

:callaway-small: Mavrik Max, 9* 
:taylormade-small:Stealth 15* / 18*
:callaway-small: Rogue 4H, 21*
:callaway-small: Steelhead XR 5-AW 
:cleveland-small: RTX ZipCore 52* / 56*
:odyssey-small: White Hot Versa Seven S , 35"
Many other putters in the bullpen waiting for call

1 hour ago, gregh729 said:

Titleist seems to have changed the ProV/x and now I like the regular ProV.  I have't tried Srixons very much. I like the Z Star, but the XV feels way too hard for me.  so I'd like to go with a lower spinner.

agreed re 2019 Prov1- much better

agreed on Z star XV, too hard and clicky for me but the ordinary Z star last year and this year are exceptional, lower spin on Driver and higher spin round the greens, feels soft but not chromesoft soft if you get me? Plus after MGS exposing the chromesoft quality issues (I experienced it myself with 1 chromesoft that acted like a range ball) I havent tried them again.

The ordinary Z star gets MGS 'exceptional' rating alongside Prov1 and Bridgeston.