Testers Wanted! Callaway Ai Smoke Drivers & AutoFlex Dream 7 Driver Shafts ×

Fake Ping G15 vs Real Ping G15

fairwaygolfusa

We got a customer come into re-glue his driver he bought in China, a Ping G15 (10.5 loft). Right away we noticed that this Ping was not the real deal. We took some pics and we thought you guys would like to know what the differences are.

1) Text/paint was different - thicker paint o the fake as well as other differences

2) Shaft was completely different

3) Alignment Aid is different as well

4) Sound the fake didnt have a hot face and had a clunk/deep sound to the strike of the ball.

see for yourself, let us know what you think.

IMG_2519.JPG

IMG_2520.JPG

IMG_2521.JPG

IMG_2522.JPG

IMG_2523.JPG

IMG_2525.JPG

IMG_2526.JPG

IMG_2527.JPG

logo.jpg

Email: CS@fairwaygolfusa.com

www.FairwayGolfUSA.com

Locations in San Diego and Mountain View, California

Thanks for that- just shows how easy it is for people not in the know to be duped. I can easily uderstand how just seeing a picture, or having something be the only one in stock, lead to a purchase like this. But do a side-by-side, and things become MUCH different!

Indeed. You see obvious differences between the two of them SIDE by SIDE, but if I was handed one of them I wouldn't know which one is which (except for the shaft. that PING shaft really looks ridiculous).

And I thought the fake was the real, and the real was the fake :lol:

One thing I know for sure, never ever buy anything from China

Now in my bag:

TM SLDR 10.5 Deg with Matrix Ozik 6Q3 S flex

TM VSteel 15 deg 3 wood

Cleveland Launcher Hybrid 18 deg Diamana Red Board Stiff

Titleist ZB Forged Iron 3-PW DG S200 Steel Shaft

Cleveland CG15 46, 52, 56, 60 Wedges

Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Its crazy how close the fake actually is in regards to looks. Makes a guy stop and think twice about his own stuff.

Driver--Taylormade RBZ Tour 9* Aldila RIP Phenom 65s

Fairway Metal--Taylormade R11s 14* Aldila RIP Phenom 70s

Hybrid--Taylormade RBZ Tour 18.5* RE-AX 85 gram S

Irons--Nike Vr Pro-Combo 4-PW True Temper Dynamic Gold S300

Wedges--Nike SV Tour Forged 50*, 56*, 60* True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter--Scotty Cameron California Del Mar

Ball--Taylormade Lethal

Grips--Lamkin R.E.L 3Gen (Woods-green, Irons-red, Wedges-white)

It might be smarter to just stop buying new stuff until the counterfeits are no longer there to fool and confuse, though how the consumer will determine when that happens remains a mystery to me. You can't even rely on second hand stuff as the fakes have already infiltrated those. Personally, I already have doubts about stuff I already own.

I think I'll just stop buying new toys and work on my swing.

Shambles

Just as a FYI, if you are ever in doubt you can always take the serial number from the club you purchased and call the manufacture to verify if it is real. EBAY is a big problem, so be careful out there!

logo.jpg

Email: CS@fairwaygolfusa.com

www.FairwayGolfUSA.com

Locations in San Diego and Mountain View, California

Just as a FYI, if you are ever in doubt you can always take the serial number from the club you purchased and call the manufacture to verify if it is real. EBAY is a big problem, so be careful out there!

I've read in some posts here that the counterfeiters are using the legitimate serial numbers on counterfeits. So much so that OEM's are less inclined to entertain questions about the authenticity of serial numbers.

Last line of defense appears to be to buy only from authorized dealers in your territory, though that too has weaknesses. How would you verify the authorization of that specific dealer ?

I'm wondering why the OEM's don't file cases of complaints against dealers of counterfeits ?

Shambles

• 7 months later...

I am reading about this as I have also been bitten. Have bought a Ping G15 Driver and 3 wood from Golfstoreorder.com in the states. When arrived they came from China. Both clubs have the same serial number and this same serial number I have found in a similar article about Ping G15 counterfeits dated May 2010 some 18 months ago on a website called Big bud golf. The driver is almost un hittable and the 3 wood is reasonable but dont know how it would compare to the real thing, pretty poorly I would imagine having read reviews. Just goes to show, you do not always know you are buying chinese junk. Mike sun

I think in some way it is "our fault". While trying to save a couple of bucks by buying in ebay, or trying to get a small discount on buying from the weirdest club website ever, we have encouraged the counterfeit market to build up.

The best way to avoid being robbed? Simple: Buy from a trusted website, maybe one of the MGS supporters like Fairway Golf USA who will surely give you a better customer service and you know the product in your hands its going to be "the real deal". Yes, you might have to pay $50 more than on ebay or www.chineseknockoffsforcheap.com, but will have the tranquillity to know you are paying for a product worth the price...

I think in some way it is "our fault". While trying to save a couple of bucks by buying in ebay, or trying to get a small discount on buying from the weirdest club website ever, we have encouraged the counterfeit market to build up.

The best way to avoid being robbed? Simple: Buy from a trusted website, maybe one of the MGS supporters like Fairway Golf USA who will surely give you a better customer service and you know the product in your hands its going to be "the real deal". Yes, you might have to pay $50 more than on ebay or www.chineseknockoffsforcheap.com, but will have the tranquillity to know you are paying for a product worth the price...

What happens in the second hand market ?

Shambles

What happens in the second hand market ?

Shambles

Most respectable golf sites or shops have a second market as well, like Golfsmith or Global Golf just to give two examples. As well, there is the "forum trading", and some people have built up a reputation on selling legit golf clubs.

Anyway, second hand market items where once "new clubs". Buying legal from the new market guarantees a "legal" second hand product in the future...

Whereas it's easy to find sellers of experienced goods on websites and discussion groups, it's a fairly sure thing that regardless of efforts by the operators, there will be infiltration by counterfeiters either directly or indirectly via people who have been fooled but prefer to pass the mistake on to others, or both. It's no big deal to create a new identity.

I think a well published data base that delineates the differences between counterfeits and the real thing would help consumers much. More helpful would be the active prosecution by OEM's of any and all distributors of counterfeit products. It's really the OEM's job to protect his own product and the failure to do so adequately will change consumer habits considerably.

Shambles

omg the fake looks so fake how cld he not have known sth was wrong? if he took 5 mins to look at the ping website he wldnt have bought tt crap

Taylormade RBZ2 TP 9.5 Fuel 60

Ping i20 3 wood Aldila Nv

Adams Dhy 18*

Mizuno Mp59 4-p KBS Tour S

Vokey 50* 55* 60*

Scotty Cameron Select Newport 1.5

Ball - Z star XV

Oakley Stand Bag

Archived