Jump to content
golfertrb

US Amateur

Recommended Posts

I love watching the US Amateur - it's honestly the tournament I would most want to win. What a battle! Augenstein will be a name we hear for years to come I expect but Ogletree is a great champion. I have enjoyed the whole week and Pinehurst was really the star.

 

Ogletree is in good company - Bobby Jones 5 times a champion, as well as, Matt Kuchar. I honestly had my money on Augenstein all day - he actually played the best golf all week but that's match play. Anyone else watch?

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I watched it last night, decent golf (I suppose it should be at that level). Any idea how long they took for the rounds? I ask as they seemed to take ages over putts with marking, lining up the ball, stand over it, back away to check, move back in to realign, stand up to address it, back away again, move in to remove marker, address beside it for practice strokes, then putt (at last)...and I was watching the highlights 😂

One of them spat a lot on camera, what's that all about?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, golfertrb said:

 

I love watching the US Amateur - it's honestly the tournament I would most want to win. What a battle! Augenstein will be a name we hear for years to come I expect but Ogletree is a great champion. I have enjoyed the whole week and Pinehurst was really the star.

 

Ogletree is in good company - Bobby Jones 5 times a champion, as well as, Matt Kuchar. I honestly had my money on Augenstein all day - he actually played the best golf all week but that's match play. Anyone else watch?

 

 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

I always enjoy it as well, and with it being at Pinehurst this year, I was even more inclined to watch as much as I could.  I had a friend who's student missed in the qualifying by a couple strokes of making it.  If he had qualified I would have made every effort to get down there for a day or two at least. 

With your index, I would think you'd certainly hold your own in qualifying, Did you enter this year or in the past.   or do you not have amateur status?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I always enjoy it as well, and with it being at Pinehurst this year, I was even more inclined to watch as much as I could.  I had a friend who's student missed in the qualifying by a couple strokes of making it.  If he had qualified I would have made every effort to get down there for a day or two at least. 
With your index, I would think you'd certainly hold your own in qualifying, Did you enter this year or in the past.   or do you not have amateur status?


I would very much like to work my way to qualifying again. The main thing is my back - it is such a grind - I'm sure my back couldn't handle right now. I'm starting a fitness regime to try and get my core back where it should be with the hopes of better support for it.

The other concern I have is the length of the courses - I really need to get some speed back but I'm at a stage of life where I have more time to play and focus on my game if my back will hold up. I'm not complaining - two years ago I was pretty certain I'd never play again so .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I watched it last night, decent golf (I suppose it should be at that level). Any idea how long they took for the rounds? I ask as they seemed to take ages over putts with marking, lining up the ball, stand over it, back away to check, move back in to realign, stand up to address it, back away again, move in to remove marker, address beside it for practice strokes, then putt (at last)...and I was watching the highlights 
One of them spat a lot on camera, what's that all about?


I noticed that too - I'm not sure what was happening with the spitting except possibly nerves. To your point about slow play - I believe it was the quarterfinals - one of the groups were put on the clock for being out of position which I was impressed with because there were so few groups on the course at the time.

Juli Inkster made a comment while giving commentary during the Woman's Am - "It's not the best player who wins in match play, it's the best player that day." And that really played out in the men's bracket. The two players in the final were very fine players and John played well all week but the best players there? Not a chance. I was shocked to see Brandon Wu bumped in the Round of 64 but that certainly happens.

The Woman's Am? It was awesome! Such beautiful golf and actual drama. Great win for Ruffles.




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, perseveringgolfer said:

I watched it last night, decent golf (I suppose it should be at that level). Any idea how long they took for the rounds? I ask as they seemed to take ages over putts with marking, lining up the ball, stand over it, back away to check, move back in to realign, stand up to address it, back away again, move in to remove marker, address beside it for practice strokes, then putt (at last)...and I was watching the highlights 😂

One of them spat a lot on camera, what's that all about?

I will say they looked uncertain over a lot of their putts but that is because the were playing Pinehurst #2.  I have played that course and I can assure you that the greens are EVERY BIT as difficult as I'm sure you have heard.  TV does it no justice, #2 is renowned some of the hardest greens to putt on.  At one point, I heard them say they were rolling at OVER 13!  Think of a cereal bowl turned upside down and your ball is covered in oil....yeah that's about the greens there! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, ballplayer002003 said:

I will say they looked uncertain over a lot of their putts but that is because the were playing Pinehurst #2.  I have played that course and I can assure you that the greens are EVERY BIT as difficult as I'm sure you have heard.  TV does it no justice, #2 is renowned some of the hardest greens to putt on.  At one point, I heard them say they were rolling at OVER 13!  Think of a cereal bowl turned upside down and your ball is covered in oil....yeah that's about the greens there! 

Good analogy.  I tell people who haven't experienced the greens at #2, imagine you're putting on a giant turtle shell while trying to keep the ball on that giant turtle shell.  Those green complexes are the most penal I have ever played.  And they are super quick on top of that.  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/19/2019 at 2:45 PM, golfertrb said:

 


I would very much like to work my way to qualifying again. The main thing is my back - it is such a grind - I'm sure my back couldn't handle right now. I'm starting a fitness regime to try and get my core back where it should be with the hopes of better support for it.

The other concern I have is the length of the courses - I really need to get some speed back but I'm at a stage of life where I have more time to play and focus on my game if my back will hold up. I'm not complaining - two years ago I was pretty certain I'd never play again so emoji106.png.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Ah...I didn't realize you were battling such severe back issues.  Good luck with the continued recovery, sounds like you are doing pretty well so far. 

Good luck in your continued return to fitness.   Make sure and keep us posted of any qualifiers or tourney's you do enter!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ah...I didn't realize you were battling such severe back issues.  Good luck with the continued recovery, sounds like you are doing pretty well so far. 
Good luck in your continued return to fitness.   Make sure and keep us posted of any qualifiers or tourney's you do enter!


I was in a severe car accident in December '14 - I had two subsequent back surgeries in 2015 (microdiscectomy; Anterior Fusion). It is amazing to be able to be playing at all and to play at a high level recreationally is amazing. But we all know recreational golf is a completely different animal from competitive golf. I'm not sure I will ever do that again but we will see. Honestly the rounds I've had this year have been encouraging but they have been on courses 6200 to 6400 with the longest being 6789. I need a few days in between rounds for recovery and honestly I never know what my back is going to be one day to the next. I don't mean that as a complaint - I'm quite happy to be where I am; the last few years have been a dark hole. Anyway - I'm thrilled to be playing and if that develops into competition next year or so that would be great!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can certainly relate.  I was in a horrible car accident several years back.  I was broadsides by a big transport truck and flipped and rolled 3 times (according to witnesses) I walked away largely intact --the police said due to my car at the time -BMW 325 which basically had a steel cage around the  "cockpit" while the rest of the car was rolled into a small ball of steel. 

I have a severe compression of the spine Resulting in a few herniated disc which in addition to aging has led to cervical stenosis.   I don't know all the technical stuff the doctor's have told me. I just know the limitations and pain that are a result😎

But like you.  I'm grateful for any day I can still get out and play.  But unlike you I am not able to do so at such a high level, but then again.  I couldn't before the accident either.  Ha

Good luck if you dip your toes back in the water next year. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
I can certainly relate.  I was in a horrible car accident several years back.  I was broadsides by a big transport truck and flipped and rolled 3 times (according to witnesses) I walked away largely intact --the police said due to my car at the time -BMW 325 which basically had a steel cage around the  "cockpit" while the rest of the car was rolled into a small ball of steel. 
I have a severe compression of the spine Resulting in a few herniated disc which in addition to aging has led to cervical stenosis.   I don't know all the technical stuff the doctor's have told me. I just know the limitations and pain that are a result
But like you.  I'm grateful for any day I can still get out and play.  But unlike you I am not able to do so at such a high level, but then again.  I couldn't before the accident either.  Ha
Good luck if you dip your toes back in the water next year. 
 


Wow - that's wonderful that you were able to come out so well. I was driving a Ford Focus and was hit head on by a Ford F 250 who pulled directly into me. He just never saw me. I was fortunate to have a Good Samaritan to call an ambulance and get me out of the car. It has been life-changing and quite an ordeal but I never thought I would play to the level I am. I have technology that makes a huge impact, as well as, moving up a tee box. Thanks for the well wishes and I really enjoyed your TXG fitting! I only a week or so ago put together it was you. Those guys seem just so great. Ian seems to be the perfect combination of knowledgeable and yet humble.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, golfertrb said:

 


Wow - that's wonderful that you were able to come out so well. I was driving a Ford Focus and was hit head on by a Ford F 250 who pulled directly into me. He just never saw me. I was fortunate to have a Good Samaritan to call an ambulance and get me out of the car. It has been life-changing and quite an ordeal but I never thought I would play to the level I am. I have technology that makes a huge impact, as well as, moving up a tee box. Thanks for the well wishes and I really enjoyed your TXG fitting! I only a week or so ago put together it was you. Those guys seem just so great. Ian seems to be the perfect combination of knowledgeable and yet humble.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

Man! You were definitely blessed with that overnatch of vehicles. 

Thanks on the TXG video.  It was a great experience.  I did really think about do i want to put myself and my game on such a public display.   But Matt and i had several conversations leading up to it snd he made me feel like it would be vey popular with many in the  same age and level of play as me. 

I was pleasantly surprised when Ian didn’t scold me for all the club ho’ong.  

He was fantastic to work with snd so eager to help me.  Whether it was through a fitting or through the mini lesson he gave me. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Man! You were definitely blessed with that overnatch of vehicles. 
Thanks on the TXG video.  It was a great experience.  I did really think about do i want to put myself and my game on such a public display.   But Matt and i had several conversations leading up to it snd he made me feel like it would be vey popular with many in the  same age and level of play as me. 
I was pleasantly surprised when Ian didn’t scold me for all the club ho’ong.  
He was fantastic to work with snd so eager to help me.  Whether it was through a fitting or through the mini lesson he gave me. 
 


I'm so glad to hear that those guys are what they appear! I love that


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...