Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Naturals

fixyurdivot

I played a round today with a 27 year old who said he had only started playing the game in the last 5 years.  He was bagging Titleist MB irons and a TS 3 driver.  His backswing looked John Daly-esque though he was about 5'10 and 170 lbs. He hit a handful of drives over 300 yards, one I measured at ~335 yards (longest I've seen in a long time)!  He made the par 5 18th hole green in two shots; his second right at 200 yards using a 6i. He putted very well and made solid contact with a slight draw ball flight on most iron shots. I think he was 5 over 6 over par.  I asked about his choice on irons and he said he just tried them in a shop back east and liked them - no fitting, no LM data, no nothing.  These are his first set of clubs. He said he didn't even know anything about cavity back vs. forged vs. whatever.  

While some of us play for decades and cannot (in my case) break into single digit handicap, others seem like they could do so if you gave them a push broom... life is cruel at times 🤨.  Do you know someone for which this game comes to them naturally?  

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

Every time I watch a PGA tournament...I know those guys have worked their butts off but getting outdrove by skinny little guys has continued to blow my mind haha.

I know Brooks and DJ are known for their physical prowess, but they're certainly not the majority. Seeing some 5' 5" 160 lb dude smashing drives 300+ and then looking at by own game... needless to say I'm jealous!

Right Handed

Driver: 9° :cobra-small: Speedzone (HZRDUS Smoke Green 70g X-Stiff shaft)

2 Hybrid: 18° :tour-edge: Exotics EXS Pro (Evenflow Black 6.5) (2020 MGS Official Review here)

3/Driving Iron: 18° :Hogan: UiHi Iron (MMT Utility TX 105g shaft)

Irons: 4-GW :titelist-small: T100 irons (Nippon Modus 120 X-Stiff shafts) (2021 MGS Official Review here)

Wedges: 54° & 58° post-76102-0-38507100-1525284411_thumb.jpg TSW Forged (Dynamic Gold S300)

Putter: :EVNROLL: ER2B (2019 MGS Official Review here)

Ball: MAXFLI Tour X

Bag: :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

WITB thread here

My dad broke 80 his first week of playing. He was a teenager and was so thrilled to be able to play he walked 54 holes a day, and he says his touch around the greens got really good from playing so much. It took me 6-7 years to break 80.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Driver: TM M1 9.5*

4W: Wishon bent FLAT

Irons: Mizuno MP20MB

Wedges: 50/55/60 Mizuno

Putter: Evnroll ER2

I met and played with a young guy who was a former college athlete at an SEC school (football) He started by taking lessons from day one. His improvement was incredibly fast. He had a beautiful swing. The mental side, however, was seriously lacking.

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Miura MB 502 Irons

ping G400 Driver

Cobra F7 3 wood

Mizuno putter

Mizuno Wedges. 

I wasn't an athlete in school; I wasn't the last guy picked or anything but I certainly wasn't the first. I wrestled my Sr year of high school and made it all the way to the VA State Championship with an undefeated season before being beaten twice by the same guy (the worst). I didn't play golf till I was 20 and I was a scratch in 15 months. I just took to it. I've never had a lesson from a pro though the guy who introduced me to the game taught me about grip, etc. I played golf every day - I was like an addict - it was nuts. I was a seminary student and working at a psychiatric hospital on the adolescent unit as a tech. I would work through the night and either go to class or the golf course. I couldn't get enough and I had no idea how hard golf was - I certainly learned - but those early years were something else. I have never understood why golf and wrestling came to me so easily when baseball, basketball, football, soccer, lacrosse never did. Oh well - I'm glad golf did and my son has always taken to it too. I taught him what I knew and he carries a 3.2 handicap. Pretty cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ping G400 LST 8.5* Graphite Design DI 6 stiff 45"

Taylormade RBZ Proto 14.5* Oban Kiyoshi 85 04 42.5"

Adams 4555 19* Matrix Ozik Altus 80 S/X 42"

Ping G410 Crossover 2 Project X Even Flow Blue 85 6.0 40"

Ping i500 4-8 Modus 105 Stiff

Ping Blueprint 9-P Modus 105 Stiff

Fourteen RM-12 53* and 58* Tour Issue Black Onyx s400 

Odyssey Tour Black Series 9 35" Flatso 1.0 

Srixon Z Star XV

2018 Ping Hoofer 

Being a weight lifter and baseball- softball player has helped me in golf.From my first swings.Ive always hit the ball a long distance I was told.My first few times on a course were with a buddy that also excelled in baseball.He told me “hit it like a low inside fast ball”.And within 1 month of playing heavily.I shot an 85.Now many years later I’ve wanted to improve more on accuracy.So I started taking in person pro lessons and have been watching the scores start coming down rather fast.Its like any other sports endeavor.Once you taste some success you want more.Hate to say it.But being a natural or athletic with coordination is the only way one can get this game.Non athletics are the ones who just can’t get over the hump no matter how hard they work at it.This is truly a sport where coordination and is a must  

Keep it in the short stuff

1 hour ago, Edveed said:

But being a natural or athletic with coordination is the only way one can get this game.Non athletics are the ones who just can’t get over the hump no matter how hard they work at it.This is truly a sport where coordination and is a must  

I highly disagree. I know more than a few golfers who shoot just fine and golf was the first "real" sport they ever played. I've shot rounds with older gentlemen who could barely move well enough to get the ball out of the hole yet regularly shoot upper 70's. Coordination matters little if you're swinging correctly.

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

I highly disagree. I know more than a few golfers who shoot just fine and golf was the first "real" sport they ever played. I've shot rounds with older gentlemen who could barely move well enough to get the ball out of the hole yet regularly shoot upper 70's. Coordination matters little if you're swinging correctly.

I agree with you.Im still waiting for my big moment. When it all falls together. Been 36 years of waiting. That is what keeps me going 

Keep it in the short stuff