Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

Hey guys, so I just realized that when I swing, I NEVER release the club head or aim at my target. I have developed this swing where everything is good until impact and basically after I strike the ball I hold off the club face to almost try and force a straight ball flight and it is leading to a bunch of inconsistencies in shots hit. Please inform me if you have any tips, pointers or even drills you think will help me learn how to release this club and my target.

WITB 2019

Driver: :taylormade-small:Taylormade M2 8.5 w/ Xstiff Aldila RIP Beta shaft

2 Iron: :taylormade-small:Talormade P790 UDI 17 degree w/ Hazardus Xstiff driver shaft

4-PW: :taylormade-small:Taylormade PSI iron w/ KBS C-taper stiff iron shafts

52 degree: :cleveland-small:Cleveland RTX 3

56 degree: :callaway-small:Callaway Mac Daddy 4

60 degree-::taylormade-small:Taylormade milled grind

Putter: :cameron-small:Scotty Cameron Dual Balance X5

Ball::titelist-small:ProV1x

without seeing your swing it's hard to know what the issue.  Holding the club face off is normal a reaction intended to compensate for something else.  Right now, your brain knows you have to hold the club off in order to get some sort of good shot.  The key is to figure out why your brain is telling you to do that.  Your lower body and torso can be out of sync. You can be over rotating.  It could be a number of things causing you to subconsciously hold the club off. 

13 minutes ago, jlukes said:

without seeing your swing it's hard to know what the issue.  Holding the club face off is normal a reaction intended to compensate for something else.  Right now, your brain knows you have to hold the club off in order to get some sort of good shot.  The key is to figure out why your brain is telling you to do that.  Your lower body and torso can be out of sync. You can be over rotating.  It could be a number of things causing you to subconsciously hold the club off. 

Appreciate the reply! I'll send videos later today and post them in here.

WITB 2019

2 Iron: :taylormade-small:Talormade P790 UDI 17 degree w/ Hazardus Xstiff driver shaft

Hey guys, so I just realized that when I swing, I NEVER release the club head or aim at my target. I have developed this swing where everything is good until impact and basically after I strike the ball I hold off the club face to almost try and force a straight ball flight and it is leading to a bunch of inconsistencies in shots hit. Please inform me if you have any tips, pointers or even drills you think will help me learn how to release this club and my target.

I struggled with the same issue just a few months ago.

High blocks and fades?

This doesn't necessarily mean you're doing something wrong.  For the heck of it, why not send a picture of your grip as well...Some players rely on a stronger grip and are forced to keep the club face square through impact.  Some of the best ball strikers to play the game had ridiculously strong grips; Azinger, Duval, DJ to name a few.  It's a product of their body sequence and rotation and it works.  Hopefully you can get some good advice from the folks around here.  

• Titleist TSi3 Fujikura Speeder NX Blue 60X
  • TaylorMade SIM2 3 wood Fujilkura Ventus Blue 7-X
  • Titleist U505 2 Tensei 1K Black 85 X
  • Titleist T100 4-P Nippon Modus 3 120X
  • PING S159 50-S 55-H 59-T DG X100
  • Vokey SM8 50, SM9 54 & 60  Nippon Modus 3 120s
  • L.A.B. MEZZ Max Broom Accra 47" 79.5*
  • Srixon Z-Star XV 

Currently testing the 2024 PING S159 wedges…

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/63483-testers-announced-ping-s159-wedges/

Was testing, still loving the 2023 Titleist T100 Irons 4-P

https://forum.mygolfspy.com/topic/60456-titleist-t-series-irons-2023-forum-review/

31 minutes ago, Shankster said:

I struggled with the same issue just a few months ago.

High blocks and fades?

Yes, exactly!! and the occasional hook but for the most part you nailed it

Edited by bmaru99

WITB 2019

21 minutes ago, bens197 said:

This doesn't necessarily mean you're doing something wrong.  For the heck of it, why not send a picture of your grip as well...Some players rely on a stronger grip and are forced to keep the club face square through impact.  Some of the best ball strikers to play the game had ridiculously strong grips; Azinger, Duval, DJ to name a few.  It's a product of their body sequence and rotation and it works.  Hopefully you can get some good advice from the folks around here.  

I'll send everything later on tonight. Appreciate it guys!

WITB 2019

Yes, exactly!! and the occasional hook but for the most part you nailed it

One of the main reasons I am doing the 1 plane thing. I liked to play a fade, but for whatever reason I can’t control it anymore and it goes RIGHT!

Not saying you should do the one plane thing, but so far it is like drinking a magic potion that transformed me into this mythical creature that only hits the ball straight, or slightly falls off either direction.

9 minutes ago, Shankster said:

One of the main reasons I am doing the 1 plane thing. I liked to play a fade, but for whatever reason I can’t control it anymore and it goes RIGHT!

Not saying you should do the one plane thing, but so far it is like drinking a magic potion that transformed me into this mythical creature that only hits the ball straight, or slightly falls off either direction.

I am going to go to the range soon and try out some new things. Might even tr the one plane and see how that works for me.

WITB 2019

Hit some balls with a split grip. Put your right hand  3 or 4 inches below your left hand in a 10 finger modified baseball grip. This makes you have to release the club through impact.your chicken wing swing cant happen with this drill or your right elbow will break some ribs lol

:adams-small: F11 Driver and 3 Wood 

:ping-small: I20 irons red dot -1/2 inch

:cleveland-small: Cg hybrid

:cleveland-small: Rtg wedges 54 56

:bridgestone-small:

13 hours ago, jlukes said:

Agreed.  Whatever you do in the followthrough is determined by what you do in the setup, backswing and transition. Once the downswing starts, the time through impact is shorter than the time the brain can send a signal to the body.  If the brain tells the body to do that, it's because of something before the downswing.

We don’t stop playing the game because we get old; we get old because we stop playing the game.”

15 hours ago, Shankster said:

How’d you make out?

Went to the range last night after work. I hit a bunch of iron shots and ultimately, decided on keeping everything the same for now. I figured out my club face was rarely square at impact but rather closed to the target a lot of the times. I was watching videos of DJ hitting a golf ball and he doesn't point at the target and almost seems like he does the same thing. Going to try and get out to the range more in the coming weeks and hopefully diagnose my problems and really see what is best for me. Like I said, right now my swing was performing well with a controlled baby draw and i was hitting the ball very accurately aside from a couple blocks lol.

WITB 2019

10 hours ago, ODogs Driver said:

Hit some balls with a split grip. Put your right hand  3 or 4 inches below your left hand in a 10 finger modified baseball grip. This makes you have to release the club through impact.your chicken wing swing cant happen with this drill or your right elbow will break some ribs lol

Wow I am sad I just saw this. I'll give it a try and report back to you!

WITB 2019