TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Wilson D7 Challenge

Golfspy_CG2

On 8/31/2019 at 4:07 AM, russtopherb said:

I'll be interested in hearing everyone's experiences with using the D7 irons for touch shots around the greens, bump & runs, etc. If you get a chance to use them in a round or during practice for those purposes, post up your experiences if you can!

I have never been able to figure out a consistently successful bump & run. So I try soft lob shots that don't roll much or usually use my putter when close, even off the green. Honestly, because of the past, I haven't put in a good effort to try bump & runs with these irons. This is a nudge that I should and promise to try it. Maybe I'll surprise myself and have a new shot I can use!

PXG 0811 XF driver

:ping-small: Serene: 3 wood, 4 & 5 hybrid iron

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4, 6 - 9 irons

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

:bettinardi-1: Armlock putter or  :edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B XS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V3

On 8/23/2019 at 2:25 PM, Wedgie said:

Are you seeing consistent distances with these irons when struck well?  When I did the D7 challenge my Cleveland launchers were all within 2 yards of each other.  The D7 irons not so much so I'm curious if this translates to the course for all of you.

Funny you ask this, Wedgie, as I was just lamenting to my local range pro that the 4-5-6 irons all had very similar distances to each other when well struck (Smash factor of 1.35 or greater). To give you an idea, the D7 4i was carrying about 210, 5i was about 205, and 6i was 198. Really got me thinking about how I might restructure my bag and maybe eliminate one or two of these irons depending on how well I find I hit them. 

Even the 7i was close to the group, but not so close as to lump it with the irons above, and I hit it well enough I'd probably keep it regardless, haha!

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

Weekly update!

Took them to the range and had a solid session with the launch monitor. We'll call this my "initial" assessment of the full set of irons with data galore, for those that are interested:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VAmCTdUzoEuKVd5bcShOowHTM_MM7jq0mS7RhtsW6bw/edit?usp=sharing

Disregard the Cobra testing at the bottom...that was me just having some fun, since I need a new driver (see signature...)

Initial impressions and takeaways:

- MUCH more forgiving than my current irons (DCI/R11) with rarely a mishit or shank

- Much straighter ball flight, so much so that I've already had to adjust my address to the ball for aiming purposes as I tend to push it right with my current irons

- Power Holes seem to be adding distance over my current irons, however as I mentioned before, there's a grouping problem with my 4-5-6irons all going about the same distance. Think some more practice with them could create larger gaps in distances

- The Re*Akt can be felt, slightly, in the hands when you make solid contact. However, if you have tried the Mizuno Hot Metals, it's not nearly as powerful a feedback as those. 

- Overall, solid improvements and i'm pleased with their design, construction, and play right now. Going to play a few rounds this week and next to see what kind of Stroke Gains I can make.

6 hours ago, Tarheelvolvo said:

- Power Holes seem to be adding distance over my current irons, however as I mentioned before, there's a grouping problem with my 4-5-6irons all going about the same distance.

Interesting that so far we seem to like the accuracy but have issues with distance. I can hit the 6 iron farther than the 5 iron but I don't know when it's going to happen. As I mentioned in a prior post, the ladies set didn't come with a 4 iron but ShotScope shows that a couple of times I hit the 6 iron an even greater distance than my TaylorMade 4 iron. Except for my 6 iron I'm not experiencing a significant increase in distance on a consistent basis. I'm not wild about the distance being a surprise factor. But my 3 lowest scores are now with the D7s, so that part I like.

PXG 0811 XF driver

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

2 hours ago, Steve2100 said:

4i and 5i way too close emoji849.png

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

Feel ya, Steve...Kinda interesting that with the ever increasing lofts of irons to show YoY distance improvements, they've created a new problem of not needing as many clubs with the groupings! 😜 Although, this isn't just a Wilson problem, but probably an industry problem with all new iron sets.

On 8/23/2019 at 2:25 PM, Wedgie said:

Are you seeing consistent distances with these irons when struck well?  When I did the D7 challenge my Cleveland launchers were all within 2 yards of each other.  The D7 irons not so much so I'm curious if this translates to the course for all of you.

45A2BA02-B4B0-4E6E-9E76-86F9DCA2FFF8.thumb.jpeg.273d5955c37ff912f52a023d6f760a33.jpeg

There is a lot more to this photo than appears. 9 iron from 170 out, playing approx 150-160.  3 different brand/model golf balls.  Two of these were caught a little thin, the other two were flushed.  But this is to illustrate distance consistency and hopefully answer your question.  

I wanted to give you an accurate photo  depiction of the 7 iron distance falling but the 9 iron results photo grouped better in frame.  However the 7 iron consistency was better distance wise, I just pushed them left and just barely off the green.

I must admit I did catch a flyer with my P wedge out of the rough yesterday and wayyyyy overshot the green. That really threw me off but per today’s testing that was an anomaly. 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

On 8/29/2019 at 9:15 PM, Nunfa0 said:

I love my 4 iron for this shot 😁😎

Confirmed, the D7 four iron will hit low punchy draws, but it takes a little coercion and quick pep talk before taking the swing.

Gameday
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120

Classic Bag

Week 3 Update for Wilson D7 irons

@russtopherb I can do a bump & run! I made a few successful ones in a round this evening. And with a coaching tip at the end from @downlowkey I now have a new technique to practice for better bump & runs. @downlowkey was able to see why I love the wedges for lob shots. I had only 1 really bad hit with a wedge that didn't make it high enough to go over a tree.

I played 3 times this week. The first two were 7:30am tee times. These irons were definitely better than my Pings (irons or hybrid irons) getting out of the wet morning grass that reached out a grabbed my ball. Getting in the tall wet stuff in the first place had nothing to do with the irons but they were the rescuers.

My lowest score of 90, and my next two lowest of 92 all included these irons. Decreased my handicap one more stroke. Darkness kept me from finishing the round this evening but it was shaping up to be another low round. 

My relationship with the 5 iron is improving. @downlowkey was trying help me hit down on the ball more which I will also practice. I'm still having issues with inconsistent distance until I get to the wedges and 9 iron. I'm using the mid irons less than the other clubs. This last round I never pulled the 7 or 6 out of my bag and used the 8 only once.

This will be my last D7 update for about 3 weeks, but I will happily respond to questions or other's posts. My husband and I are leaving tomorrow on a 40th anniversary golf trip to Scotland. We are traveling light which means renting everything rather than ship/lug our clubs around. The good part is I'll try to send you photos from the Solheim Cup. Cheers.

PXG 0811 XF driver

5 hours ago, artful_golfer said:

@russtopherb I can do a bump & run! I made a few successful ones in a round this evening. And with a coaching tip at the end from @downlowkey I now have a new technique to practice for better bump & runs. @downlowkey was able to see why I love the wedges for lob shots. I had only 1 really bad hit with a wedge that didn't make it high enough to go over a tree.

I played 3 times this week. The first two were 7:30am tee times. These irons were definitely better than my Pings (irons or hybrid irons) getting out of the wet morning grass that reached out a grabbed my ball. Getting in the tall wet stuff in the first place had nothing to do with the irons but they were the rescuers.

My lowest score of 90, and my next two lowest of 92 all included these irons. Decreased my handicap one more stroke. Darkness kept me from finishing the round this evening but it was shaping up to be another low round. 

My relationship with the 5 iron is improving. @downlowkey was trying help me hit down on the ball more which I will also practice. I'm still having issues with inconsistent distance until I get to the wedges and 9 iron. I'm using the mid irons less than the other clubs. This last round I never pulled the 7 or 6 out of my bag and used the 8 only once.

This will be my last D7 update for about 3 weeks, but I will happily respond to questions or other's posts. My husband and I are leaving tomorrow on a 40th anniversary golf trip to Scotland. We are traveling light which means renting everything rather than ship/lug our clubs around. The good part is I'll try to send you photos from the Solheim Cup. Cheers.

Sounds like it's going really well. I am seriously jealous of your trip, hope you have a ball over there. Which courses are you hoping to play?

In my :titleist-small: cart Bag:

Driver:    :cobra-small: King F9 9° - LH - Atmos Blue TS 6 Stiff
Woods:   :cobra-small: King F9 - LH - 3/4 Wood - Atmos Blue 7 Reg
               :srixon-small: Z U85 2 Iron
Irons:     :titelist-small: T200 4 Iron AMT White S300
  :titelist-small: T100S - LH - 3-48* - AMT White S300
Wedges:               Indi FLX- LH - 52° 56° 60° - True Temper Spinner Wedge shafts
Putter:    :rife-putters-1: 2 Bar Hybrid
Ball:        :titelist-small: Pro V1x

Testing: Haywood CB/MB Combo Iron Set, 4-7 Cavity backs, 8-PW Muscle Backs, True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff, 2 Degrees stronger lofts.

Tracked By: :Arccos:

Follow me on Twitter @ham12_hampton and on Instagram @Nunfa0 

[mention=78359]russtopherb[/mention] I can do a bump & run! I made a few successful ones in a round this evening. And with a coaching tip at the end from [mention=68431]downlowkey[/mention] I now have a new technique to practice for better bump & runs.@downlowkey was able to see why I love the wedges for lob shots. I had only 1 really bad hit with a wedge that didn't make it high enough to go over a tree.
My relationship with the 5 iron is improving. [mention=68431]downlowkey[/mention] was trying help me hit down on the ball more which I will also practice. I'm still having issues with inconsistent distance until I get to the wedges and 9 iron. I'm using the mid irons less than the other clubs. This last round I never pulled the 7 or 6 out of my bag and used the 8 only once.
I hope you and your husband have a safe an enjoyable trip, and I can't wait to read about your experiences there. That sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate your anniversary, congratulations!

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Sounds like it's going really well. I am seriously jealous of your trip, hope you have a ball over there. Which courses are you hoping to play?

The only course I remember is St Andrews. We read the review by @golfspybarbajo and plan to follow it for good eats. Norwegian Air nonstop Austin to London is very, very reasonable when booked early.

PXG 0811 XF driver

My stage 1 is up sorry for it being late but you will read my about my excuse

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

@GeekingGolf I love your video. I thought big ships didn’t bounce.

Oops looks like I flunked in trying to post from my phone. Don’t know how it ended up on page 1. Sorry guys

PXG 0811 XF driver

Thanks wish it was mine a friend of mine took it but it was unreal been in 18 years but only the second time I have seen something like that

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

Weekly update!

Went out and played a few rounds of 9 Fri/Sat/Sun to get a comparison between current DCI clones vs. D7. Overall, I would say the D7's gained me at least 2-3 strokes per 9 compared to current irons. 

Rounds were as follows:

DCI Clones - 44

D7's - 42

D7's - 40 

It did help that my putter was hot the last round, though, so I can't completely give credit to the D7's for the 4 stroke drop...BUT, they did get me closer to the pin, which lead to the hot putter...so, take it for what it is. Also, the amount of mis-hits and pushes to the right were very few, so the forgiveness is real with these clubs! If you're like me and don't have the most consistent swing, then these clubs are a great set to try during a fitting. 

On 9/7/2019 at 1:08 PM, GeekingGolf said:

My stage 1 is up sorry for it being late but you will read my about my excuse

Great stage one and glad to see you're back on dry land!

Gameday

Classic Bag

Finally got to hit the D7s on flightscope with Srixon range balls today.  I am seeing a touch higher clubspeed now around 88-89mph  with a smash factor in the 1.3's.  Carry around 172 with the ball rolling out to 180.  It looks like peak ball flight being a little bit lower than with the Vapors. So on like for like good strikes I am about a club and a half stronger than my previous 7 iron as expected due to the lofts.  I was a little surprised to see 180 come up on the monitor though. 

I am still struggling with the long irons.  I think it is swing mechanics right now, I will work on that and see if I can get it to work out, but they are just not gelling. But on the other end of the spectrum the 9,P,G are coming alive.  They are absolutely flying and the touch around the greens with the gap wedge has been amazingly accurate as of late,  leaving a lot better looks and first putts dropping. 

What do you guys want to see tested?

Gameday

Classic Bag

3 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

Finally got to hit the D7s on flightscope with Srixon range balls today.  I am seeing a touch higher clubspeed now around 88-89mph  with a smash factor in the 1.3's.  Carry around 172 with the ball rolling out to 180.  It looks like peak ball flight being a little bit lower than with the Vapors. So on like for like good strikes I am about a club and a half stronger than my previous 7 iron as expected due to the lofts.  I was a little surprised to see 180 come up on the monitor though. 

I am still struggling with the long irons.  I think it is swing mechanics right now, I will work on that and see if I can get it to work out, but they are just not gelling. But on the other end of the spectrum the 9,P,G are coming alive.  They are absolutely flying and the touch around the greens with the gap wedge has been amazingly accurate as of late,  leaving a lot better looks and first putts dropping. 

What do you guys want to see tested?

Haha, my thoughts as well the the first time I put the clubs on the monitor. I was like "watch out Koepka!" 

Second my fellow tester's request, too. What do you guys have questions about? How can we better test these analytically as well as qualitatively? 

25 minutes ago, Tarheelvolvo said:

Haha, my thoughts as well the the first time I put the clubs on the monitor. I was like "watch out Koepka!" 

Second my fellow tester's request, too. What do you guys have questions about? How can we better test these analytically as well as qualitatively? 

Honest answer from you all!!  How much of a turnoff/distraction is the size of the irons both from an address standpoint and overall appearance vs your gamer. 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

3 minutes ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Honest answer from you all!!  How much of a turnoff/distraction is the size of the irons both from an address standpoint and overall appearance vs your gamer. 

Disclaimer: I haven't looked at my Nike's since making the switch in the bag because I wanted to focus on the Wilson's.  In fact I put the Nike's where I wouldn't see them just in case the testing started off on a sour note, I didn't want negative thoughts creeping in based solely on an equipment change and there being an easy visual comparison.

At first it was very noticeable (distraction level 10 of 10), and I kept thinking I had to really swing them hard to get the right launch characteristics because they were noticeably larger than my Nike's.  But they are very well designed from an aesthetic perspective and I have gotten used to them so the distraction is largely gone. 

With that said, there is a little reminder that you are swinging SGI clunkers when you pull them from the bag with just how thick the soles are, but weirdly I think the power holes make the soles look a little smaller almost to the effect of camouflage breaking up the straight lines .   At address, they do look a little big with how wide they are heel-toe and how much metal there is on either side of the ball, but the thinner top line does a neat Houdini imitation and makes them look smaller than what they really are so they just blend in and do a good job of looking like a smaller club despite the big footprint looming below the top line.  All in all, they look like a quality iron (distraction level 1.5-4 of 10, from short irons to long irons respectively)

I will try to remember to get a comparison photo towards the end of the test, and take some photos of the D7's at address in the meantime. 

p.s. I am going to touch on the subjective terms of feel later in this review.  It has really helped tone the distraction level down in a good way.

Gameday

Classic Bag

How is the turf interaction with the soles on the D7s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

2 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

Disclaimer: I haven't looked at my Nike's since making the switch in the bag because I wanted to focus on the Wilson's.  In fact I put the Nike's where I wouldn't see them just in case the testing started off on a sour note, I didn't want negative thoughts creeping in based solely on an equipment change and there being an easy visual comparison.

At first it was very noticeable (distraction level 10 of 10), and I kept thinking I had to really swing them hard to get the right launch characteristics because they were noticeably larger than my Nike's.  But they are very well designed from an aesthetic perspective and I have gotten used to them so the distraction is largely gone. 

With that said, there is a little reminder that you are swinging SGI clunkers when you pull them from the bag with just how thick the soles are, but weirdly I think the power holes make the soles look a little smaller almost to the effect of camouflage breaking up the straight lines .   At address, they do look a little big with how wide they are heel-toe and how much metal there is on either side of the ball, but the thinner top line does a neat Houdini imitation and makes them look smaller than what they really are so they just blend in and do a good job of looking like a smaller club despite the big footprint looming below the top line.  All in all, they look like a quality iron (distraction level 1.5-4 of 10, from short irons to long irons respectively)

I will try to remember to get a comparison photo towards the end of the test, and take some photos of the D7's at address in the meantime. 

p.s. I am going to touch on the subjective terms of feel later in this review.  It has really helped tone the distraction level down in a good way.

Very well described.   Thanks! 

:ping-small: G430 Max 10K 

:titelist-small: TSiR1 15.0 Aldlia Ascent 60g

:titelist-small: TSR2 18.0 PX Aldila Ascent 6og

:titelist-small: TSi1 20 Aldila Ascent Shafts R

:titelist-small: T350 5-GW SteelFiber I80 

:titelist-small: SM10 48F/54M and58K

:ping-small: S159 48S/52S/56W/60B

:scotty-cameron-1: Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

:titelist-small: ProV1  Play number 12

3 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Very well described.   Thanks! 

You got it. Sorry for the run on sentences and any repetition. I was typing that in a hurry today

Gameday

Classic Bag

19 hours ago, Golfspy_CG2 said:

Great question and one that initially turned me off with the D7's given how clunky they "appear" to be. I mention appearance in quotes because I believe Wilson has done a great job in "hiding" the thicker sole and ReAkt technology quite well. Compared to my DCI Clones the topline is thicker, sure, but not so much that it is a distraction when addressing the ball. 

Additionally, it's only the higher lofted irons where I start to see a small peak of the sole/weighting poking out from the topline. Combine that with what @JohnSmallssaid about the power holes actually tricking the eye into seeing a thinner sole in the bag, and it's really a non-issue for me.

Here's a comparison pic of DCI's to the D7's in a 4i and 7i . You can tell that the DCI 4i is much more like a blade compared to the D7, and at address you have a tiny bit of the sole poking out, but when you get to a 7i and on up, the differences are smaller

IMG_20190911_104822-COLLAGE.thumb.jpg.72f63cd3739d3273c432136a1876cb79.jpg

Besides, as a wise man once told me, "Function IS Fashion"  If I can hit it straighter and farther than you can, then my irons MUST be fashionable 😎

18 hours ago, russtopherb said:

Hey @russtopherb, great question! Compared to my current irons, i'm taking a little less divot with each stroke, so I would think the wider sole is helping to keep the iron "floating" up a bit more so I hit the ball in the sweet spot more often. I haven't noticed the turf grabbing my clubs as much as current irons, either. Even with the wedges around the green, i'm getting good swings, moderate to shallow divots, and solid spin to stop the balls on the greens better. I have not hit any wedge shots "thin," which has been a big plus too!

Looking back at my rounds, i'm certainly hitting the ball straighter and longer and taking less strokes, so it's a win for me!

0 distraction/turnoff. These are actually thinner than my Ping Serene clubs and look a little more elegant. I was more concerned about the glare off the high polished finish being distracting but that has been ok. I posted a photo comparison in my D7 challenge review if you want to find it, otherwise I’ll repost it here late next week when return home.

Something I haven’t mentioned yet is design on the grips. They are helping me hold the club correctly. They have curves and ovals to help me place my hands.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

PXG 0811 XF driver

So in my round yesterday I found I am taking very shallow divots but the width of them is big so I think the interaction is good they dont dig and I think that has to do with the sole being so wide

Bryson DeChambeau