Testers Wanted! Toura Golf Irons Build Test! ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Wilson D7 Challenge

Golfspy_CG2

Fun update! Wife and I took the kids to the range and she said to me, "so what's the deal with these clubs you're supposed to be testing?" (can you feel the eye-roll in this statement?) So I put a 7i in her hand and pointed her to the range. She came back after about 10-12 hits with a smile on her face and said, "wow, these are nice!" 

When I pushed her for more details, she said she likes how even a bad-hit went pretty far, her good shots felt great in her hands, and she gained some distance from her current clubs - they are some cheap women's clubs that don't even warrant a mention. 

More to come as we wrap this test up soon!

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

Fun update! Wife and I took the kids to the range and she said to me, "so what's the deal with these clubs you're supposed to be testing?" (can you feel the eye-roll in this statement?) So I put a 7i in her hand and pointed her to the range. She came back after about 10-12 hits with a smile on her face and said, "wow, these are nice!" 
When I pushed her for more details, she said she likes how even a bad-hit went pretty far, her good shots felt great in her hands, and she gained some distance from her current clubs - they are some cheap women's clubs that don't even warrant a mention. 
More to come as we wrap this test up soon!

I'm sensing new clubs in your wife's future.

Sent from my SM-N975U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

Come on with the goods ya'll ! 😉🏌️‍♂️    

Ping G430 Max Driver 10.5 Degree
Titleist TSR1 4, 5, & 6 Hybrids 
Titleist T350 Irons 7 - W48 
Cleveland
CBX ZipCore  52 56 & 60 Degree Wedges

LAB Mezz Max Broomstick Putter / TPT Shaft  (Platinum @ 45/78)

Looks great on mine very durable clubs so far

How's the paintfill & wear in the cavity for everyone so far? Any issues? 

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Stage 2:

Well it has  been a little over two months since UPS dropped off my box of Wilson D7 irons! Time sure flew by for me while I have been testing these irons. I am not sure if two months is an adequate time to review these clubs but early returns are that I think I will be using these clubs for awhile! I am not thrilled with every aspect of these clubs but I think the overall product is very good and I have no doubt the more I use them the better I will become.

During Stage 1 I mentioned that I would be testing the clubs at a driving range near me that is equipped with Top Tracer technology. Not unlike a Topgolf but much better since you are actually hitting onto a driving range and not a neon lighted field of blinking lights! Green Valley Driving Range in Hanover Park, Illinois is a great place to work on all facets of your game. They have 20 covered/heated stations each that provide a TopTracer unit that tracks all your shots.

44JVlZxqjRnSQYauZ1-7Mgwlx293B82Lpk852XbenHkJ27qRvIlTJfzRsp1qfx-8avTfOXe24nIRGSOWrFLCXZK5ZJXrmcZfD22X9HFKPGSac9wxPYWs7P5lAtx53DmOqd18AT1p

SKdXCmNuiqKotDOxZq3fODJfbHEiAkqYpeOey5ySBB2dOhdBhXbX1v16o5AcXvFD4gDJgsCyU6BszP9lBfbnVajstX5gEE2d38KWuWfFOKinAznkvuqLf2styxyYIfOLG2TQGO3d

These monitors keep track of all your shots and you can save all those stats on your phone thru there app so you always will have what distances you hit each club! Below is a list of each club and there yardage and other data.

9L_pnbjvlbTjJW3k-FA69eJIcdmaWlkd4UOM1SxnV-LswGxhT4Mq9TNoeG0aafkGq3mfIh1RI1D-k1akOCGaJKmSX-CQbBuG_SjCRkfF3VpSplJGLJCcash_GVHHkezBt3N-URel

1IsLljw2xXe5dIjuCRBIHcjJFHLunfNiS-79Vili21IwgtBEFs6vGMVGAl9ng8jbFOK5NblQqtF3hUnNyttPIQPNHDQn9jhSp4o_lnBeGduVs1q6T1Oam4k9Kh07JJvrgEvk0MmZ

62pWViU89927XgHbA6YOOPbcjTVqziKbQLWYktOiv2asmSZrns2I6_1qGe-InVsS9FiTLCWwIHIKlx2DnEtMvk_elRBVChbOx1GSkPEPa4_mhdM4NnbxVwSzQnlF-epkKfmiAU-l

RkQuXRy2hTRZjtKnT2SI4LKhf8tiAcQyhemxLtqaoYiZTi3XddyGcOACovHhds7pkHxa3i6792KCCf4RLGm0T8XfCse9g8pAQ3sFAiTr3-g78x2xvsDOS2bZIz3pVaVNjk9qTIxN

_QQaH8-EWrT-RVPGULkPwIKepJQftrOTlGt9eVp0DbXN5GsxE4fmgMjNjKAGhJQfRk2p3Mv4U1PwYxt3aVGunLEBmny76Qs3Ixd9HHZdqBKPCiWEJgw-WPIV59-yP0YyyTYpx73J

p4qFGodC39VriJ0ZP5SsfP8CWYEPJIatY1Nps4bRR_DSSAzCQyVstVhduDBzboyyZrpIDs3I3nhFOw-xM-ZkLhgTBsWdu8M4OaCR9F_0tUAnxFOl_sTkWgCbUwyRzb4DPAX6brrR

CM5BvNjTPN8NWRczUVQN9XbjcuzTKnOno-NkLZUf2sKK5XpsDydLyPQm3qBJHaGHOjHlDO7fZXxdnN1jDrduhoJXWiY26Gmn-O5A86EyQUC8VKjwdm0CxVbFH1yoaBKpU9DajZHZ

mjyMULdTn9hjKKwOHblJKYkXRxBrc9yfJGwV3yaPnPpRJpWxey53k0vgDflE2Mle5sHKa2iM5aJPvUfXJj3bL7tLGaHAcT1NYwIUMiSxnQcAx-rSsbqsTbmqLvFewOU51bs4TaFX

tj39nu9mtkQWWAYD4cLJKYEO6DwJls3JglP05yaggdAkDC6gCd3cktcLrrPInAYZdbmrV8y_kxCqHh7Zw8pmambYJHEZQwQDNcjiuF0ysfZ1dO9hqW1aoRajgG5Fc4YjzvF18Ubt

Above is a graph(please excuse the handmade graph) I made in order to view the data easier. My previous set of clubs are King Cobra 7’s. This set was a 6 iron thru Gap Wedge. Unfortunately while testing both clubs the King Cobra 6 iron broke so the chart below will only show the comparison from the 7 iron thru Gap Wedge.

As you can see the Wilson D7’s average roughly 8.6 yards more than my King Cobra 7’s. The one issue I had with the Wilsons is the yardage average on the 4 and 5 iron. There were times when I hit the 4 iron almost 200 yds. I have never in my life hit an iron 200 yds so that alone was impressive to me. Maybe if Wilson had a ¾ Hybrid for this set the gapping would be better!

LOOKS:      10 out of 10 points

I really was impressed with how the Wilson D7’s looked not only as a group in my golf bag but individually as well. I liked that they were not overly flashy but yet the design of the club was very sharp! No red in this model just a line of blue that pops off the club!

MeiBM59f3URVsvrj1iKBf4MvH-DXVlCb2YO9BgTGgo73ejjuiKQsqojSbVcTfqm7ZcYlO1R96QZ6KVR7KEI6HbeqWRAKtyOD44R_vakYq_7QjTbDc-hxxAGPbwZlII30YNNutGzX

vFP-WbnkZ9dX5l75ymneDqbwuXRjAHzevgslwN4avrGxRgJGMRKRtQURCjIveMIb2k1wLis3kHbXXzIdUrUgFJ6KNChUjvWJCXGZXFzAY_pZxQDL43qUtWk5YQmlyl4_UgWLxkmR

rFW-y3mxyTjV-ptXXC4jU0kPude2OCr0o0UILCLzHPHhHXnI96p51SJPJIeDtiVX4MDnj3eRtjINf9uO0yTKiMum3G0Ql1V6VvECa6yo4LODL-DGobp4PZ0kW2eB_RFQW9-r65cq

Sound and Feel:                      9 out of 10 points

With the thinner face and the power holes the ball really jumps off the face but not in an uncontrollable way. There is no vibration in the grip during contact whether good or bad. Despite the larger sole it does not  feel heavy or clunky and I actually have started making better contact with the ground which has always been an issue with me. The sole of the Wilson D7 is slightly larger than my King Cobra 7.

44E1w7ht-b5Y6SeB9WO_QrIgRpWjce-7xvsWAe_2XmvXGuqgGuovvPtSeiCObAP7UWzFj7mtDlwPbrxGnEw9IvjOFGx-5X_z52uPrMlvA8w_SItPmwvbAR6xnD56IBu1vbAsYVvH

Basic Characteristics                       18 out of 20 points

As stated earlier the main characteristic of these clubs is definitely the increased distance. But I dont think these clubs are a one trick pony. While there is an increase in the height of the ball flight I was also able to hit lower trajectory depending on the wind.  Punch shots around trees were easily controllable and flop shots around the green with the gap wedge are becoming my favorite shot. Now not all of my shots went where I wanted but those are more based on my inconsistent swing than on the club itself. I was able to work a fade at times even though my natural shot is more of a draw.

On Course Performance:                  28 out of 30 points

58T0ThXIzb0GiNXkeXwgn8K0kFnxg18BdBCizgF-Q5KQ_AbKj8TqkW-fJQyQ-vDBoad2VOZv6c8zGjRpje4c2warrflSPkTzKIdxxcqXcNmUqGIHLMUaZAW0n_ErH_XF6Wd83WaT

Overall I was very happy with the Wilson D7’s!  After a couple of weeks using these clubs I shot my best score ever an 82! I won closest to pin twice in our league during this time with the above picture a 7 iron from 163! There were still some ups and downs but that is to be expected from an inconsistent golfer like myself. The more I use them the more comfortable I am with them. I think the only change I would make with these clubs is to have better gapping with the 4 and 5 iron.

Play it or Trade it:             30 out of 30 points

If you are a scratch golfer or low handicap golfer these clubs may not speak to you. But if you are a mid to high handicapper like myself these clubs may be for you! They will hit it longer are very forgiving and definitely a GAME IMPROVEMENT iron. On top of that the price of these irons are very affordable compared to other game improvement irons.

Conclusion:  

I would like to thank everyone at MyGolfSpy and at Wilson for the opportunity to test the Wilson D7 irons. Ive learned alot about the technology that goes into these irons during this process. I also learned so much more about the Wilson Company and I love their story. From once being a major force in the golf world to then dropping out and being overtaken by the likes of Titelist, Ping and others to now a sort of rebirth with more players playing there clubs and a bigger media presence. Hopefully for them this will continue and they will be a major force once again in the golf world. 

Final Score:        95 out of 100

Great job Steve2100 !   I REALLY like the way these irons look and the performance is no doubt right there with it. 

Cleveland

Tournament done, and some good new data that backs up a thought that I noticed earlier in the test. Results coming soon! 

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

Hi fellow spies. I posted my Stage 2 review for these Wilson D7 irons last night. Yippee!

A couple of you had asked about bump & run and around the green shots. Find out what I discovered (and learned).

PXG 0811 XF driver

:ping-small: Serene: 3 wood, 4 & 5 hybrid iron

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4, 6 - 9 irons

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

:bettinardi-1: Armlock putter or  :edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B XS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V3

Stage 2 finally up! Thanks MGS for the opportunity to review these!

In my :ping-small: Hoofer:

:ping-small: G410 LST 10.5* - Kai'Li White 60 X-flex

:nike-small: VRS Covert 3W 15* - Kuro Kage 65 S-flex

:titelist-small:  T200 4-GW, DG X100 Tour Issue - Tester

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 Stealth 54.12 SS & 58.10 SS

:ping-small:  Zing 2 LW - 60*

:ping-small:  Anser 2

@artful_golfer,@Tarheelvolvo,@GeekingGolf, I just want to say to each of you that you have alli done an excellent job reviewing the D7 irons. It had been fun following along with you as you have put these irons through their paces and it sounds like Wilson definitely has a winner here.

1 hour ago, sirchunksalot said:

@artful_golfer,@Tarheelvolvo,@GeekingGolf, I just want to say to each of you that you have alli done an excellent job reviewing the D7 irons. It had been fun following along with you as you have put these irons through their paces and it sounds like Wilson definitely has a winner here.

Thank you, your support means a lot.

PXG 0811 XF driver

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

On ‎9‎/‎30‎/‎2019 at 2:17 PM, ole gray said:

Come on with the goods ya'll ! 😉🏌️‍♂️    

Ask and you have received!  Sorry for the wait!

Gameday
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120

Classic Bag

7 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

Ask and you have received!  Sorry for the wait!

Man you're a tough grader!! 😄

In my  :wilson_staff_small:  carry bag:
:mizuno-small: ST-X 10.5* Kai'li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 15* Kai/li Blue R Flex
:mizuno-small: ST-Z 4h Linq Blue R Flex
:cleveland-small: Launcher 5h
:cleveland-small: Launcher CBX 6i-PW
:cleveland-small: CBX 54* & 58*
:cleveland-small: Huntington Beach #10
:bridgestone-small: e12 Contact
CURRENTLY TESTING - Mizuno Long Game

1 hour ago, russtopherb said:

Man you're a tough grader!! 😄

I thought that too when I finished 🙈. The grade was the toughest part. But reflecting on the test, 3 of the 8 clubs are pretty much just taking up space in my bag, and I have a gapping issue in the bottom part of my bag where the great performing clubs sit now (20+ yard gaps from 56, GW, PW ).   So setting positive brand bias aside, I couldn’t justify a grade in the 80’s or above because 37.5% of the clubs are not helping my game, at all. So I think my grade in the 70s is fair.  

I plan to continue evaluating these over the next few months and continue to update the thread.  That will either change the score or affirm it. 

Gameday

Classic Bag

I thought that too when I finished . The grade was the toughest part. But reflecting on the test, 3 of the 8 clubs are pretty much just taking up space in my bag, and I have a gapping issue in the bottom part of my bag where the great performing clubs sit now (20+ yard gaps from 56, GW, PW ).   So setting positive brand bias aside, I couldn’t justify a grade in the 80’s or above because 37.5% of the clubs are not helping my game, at all. So I think my grade in the 70s is fair.  
I plan to continue evaluating these over the next few months and continue to update the thread.  That will either change the score or affirm it. 
I think it's definitely a fair assessment and grade considering how the D7's performed for you. Looks, feel, and sound are important and can make or break equipment for some golfers (see: MyGolfSpy ball test thread), but performance out on the course is more important than anything, imo. I could hit a club that sounded like a nails on a chalkboard if it helps me play my best. Hopefully we'll hear back from you later that you're getting better performance as you continue to get rounds in with them.

Great job on the review, you all have done an amazing job putting the Wilson's to the test!

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

@artful_golfer,[mention=87663]Tarheelvolvo[/mention],[mention=70409]GeekingGolf[/mention], I just want to say to each of you that you have alli done an excellent job reviewing the D7 irons. It had been fun following along with you as you have put these irons through their paces and it sounds like Wilson definitely has a winner here.

Thanks man these are fun clubs to hit and the distance gain is unreal but for me they just weren't the right irons to have into the bag. This was a lot of fun and I enjoyed reading everyone's reviews.

Sent from my SM-G960U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

Bryson DeChambeau

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

On 8/21/2019 at 10:26 AM, JohnSmalls said:

Stage Two - The Review 10/8/19

*Photos coming soon

Wilson D7 Irons – Official MGS Forum Review by JohnSmalls

Wilson has made a seriously good iron with the D7.  These clubs look like they belong on the course and the qualitative results are shockingly good.  But the quantitative haven’t completely sold me yet.  I am going to put that down as operator error and possibly a poor fitting shaft in the long irons, for now.  The distance with these is real, that’s on a loft for loft basis.  The versatility and the quality of this product is surprising and worth more than the asking price.  The questions I had have been met with a strong performance and I look forward in gaming these in some upcoming tournaments.  My GIR has increased, though just slightly.  I feel like these will continue to be good irons for me, but I am not sure they are the irons for me.  If you are in the market for a GI or SGI iron, these deserve special consideration during your next purchase decision. There isn't an SGI iron that will match the D7 for feel, distance, versatility all for a very reasonable price.  Wilson is every bit back in the game of producing high quality golf clubs.  They will be on the top of my list for my next irons.

The Final (midterm) Grade:  73/100

Excellent review and looking forward to your follow up with these irons!

Cleveland

On 8/21/2019 at 10:32 AM, artful_golfer said:

Stage 2 Review – October 6, 2019

Wilson D7 Irons – Official MGS Forum Review

Hello again Golf Spies!

The photo below shows my bag today with the entire set Wilson Ladies D7 irons.

D7s_inbag.jpg.140d1048b34aa5e111f3cdf9811af5c8.jpg

Thank you again to Wilson Golf and My Golf Spy for the opportunity to test and review the Ladies Wilson D7 lineup. I approached this task seriously and enjoyed every minute. Thank you also to my fellow Spies for the support and constructive replies. Hopefully I have met your expectations.

StAndrewsBridge.jpg.eba1eaece32eb4a1457fc581215cf73e.jpg

Except for the 3 week span during my trip to Scotland, I played or practiced with the Wilsons 2-3 times each week. Tracking my stats throughout the review with the ShotScope V2 system, was educational and sometimes surprising. My testing initially began with a 7-iron comparison between my prior set (Ping Serene) and the Wilson D7. The PGA SuperStore in Austin was a great help and I'll talk about some stats from that session in the basic characteristics section below. I intend to visit them again for a follow up on my progress soon and will add my findings next time I make the drive up to Austin.

The question I hoped to answer with this review has an important bearing on my particular golf game:  Does the Wilson D7 design provide more distance and better accuracy to help with the long approach shots I often face?

girl-thinking-550x370.jpg.2892f75ec3413ee90a46c7d1e7df0536.jpg

Looks: (8 of 10)

My first impressions upon un-boxing these irons was overwhelmingly positive and that is still the case.

D7_collage_Stage2_small.jpg.ddfffbeaad0ba629ad0c6ea87aa5a99a.jpg

My Pings have a matte finish and I wondered if glare from the high polish on the D7s would cause any issues, but it has not. I don’t pay much attention to WITB of my playing partners but a few ladies and men have been curious enough to give the Wilsons a closer inspection. I don't know if they were drawn in by the bag full of shiny chrome or because they were aware of my review, but that never happened with my Pings. I wasn’t wild about the purple shaft graphic at first but don’t even notice it now. And I like the graphics on the grips because they help me with consistent grip placement and club face alignment. But I'm deducting a single point because while I find absolutely nothing offensive about these clubs, the lack of ladies customization options makes them feel just a little impersonal. The extra long wait time to receive these required another point deduction.

Sound and feel: (10 of 10)

Thud_small.jpg.8fc507e3558712326927e1fb4a20e64e.jpg

I am a visual and tactile learner (not auditory), so beyond the thud of a chunked shot, sound is not typically a focus for me. But compared to my Pings, the click of a well struck D7 is more muted and very pleasing. And because no sound for me is preferable to a distracting sound, I'll say the D7s are a clear improvement. Launch Monitor stats indicate my miss tendency is thin and toward the toe. That combination causes the face to crank open and the results are dreadful shots that veer right and end up short of my target. When that happens, the feeling of the Wilson D7 irons is definitely more pleasant than my Pings. My swing is all about feel, but does better feeling translate into better results? Keep reading...

Basic Characteristics: (17 of 20)

PGASuperStore-Austin_front.jpg.113f0e42524a8d1bf0957acbb15f41e5.jpg

SuperStore5.jpg.51a72f28ca7ec6fc4b77e4c0c9bd099e.jpg

Above: PGA SuperStore screen in Launch Monitor bay

I'm still in the process of learning what all the columns of launch monitor stats mean for my game. And because I imagine the majority of golfers are similarly overwhelmed by all that information, I'm going to focus on the basics of carry distance, efficiency and lateral dispersion. Stats from my Wilson D7 Challenge session indicated a 7 yard increase in carry distance over my gamers and I was thrilled at the prospect of more yardage. But the stats from the PGA SuperStore session showed the exact opposite, with my Pings offering roughly a 7 yard advantage. Efficiency stats from that session gave the edge to my Pings again at 1.41 vs 1.38 - not enough disparity to account for the 7 yards and both are acceptable stats for my skill level. Lateral dispersion stats were not as clear cut. The D7s produced many more shots that were on line (within 3 yards of target) but my misses with them were also much bigger. The dispersion average shows the Wilsons (0.5 yards off line; std. dev 4.9 yards) as a clear winner, but facing potentially big misses on my very tight home golf course is somewhat worrisome.

On Course Performance: (27 of 30)

The preceding segments of this review certainly have merit, but how it performs on the golf course is the real test of chemistry when it comes to developing a relationship with my new equipment. And I hope you'll keep reading to learn why exactly, but I'll tell you right now that the D7s are staying in my bag.

Because my personal list of pros and cons falls neatly down the same lines, I'm going to sub-section this on course performance category into approach clubs (5-7 iron) and scoring clubs (8-GW).

Pros (8-GW): For several reasons, I absolutely love the scoring end of the Wilson D7 irons. I am experiencing some minor distance inconsistencies in this section of the bag. But my ball generally flies much straighter and I've hit more quality shots than I did with my Pings. This has translated into more confidence and better scoring from positions inside 80 yards. Although I still tend to miss right, I now know how cool it feels to watch your ball consistently fly toward the target - which technically also makes the golf course shorter for me. Like I said, lots of pros with the scoring clubs. I have experienced similar improvements around the green. I am much less likely to stub the leading edge into the ground with the D7s and have been able to develop some distinct shot options that my Pings didn't seem to offer. I use the GW a lot around the green and can comfortably hit high lobs and pitches consistently well. The GW has also recently allowed me to add a bump and run shot to my short game arsenal and I can already see how having that option is going to save me some shots in the long run.

This is the first time I’ve had a Gap Wedge. With it I have now learned to hit a bump & run, soft pitch and flop all with the same club – Love it!

Having more all around confidence from positions where the majority of my shots are played makes me want to practice even more and feel I'll continue to see improvements with the scoring clubs.

Cons (5-7 iron): Where the D7 scoring clubs offer confidence, consistency, and options - the longer approach clubs have given me fits on the course. My good shots are quite good and my bad shots are awful. ShotScope distance range stats with each of these clubs is all over the place - like 50 yards difference from good to bad. I know a lot of that disparity has to do with my skill level as a relative beginner and making some pretty bad swings. But for whatever reason, I make a lot of bad swings with the longer clubs and it has negatively impacted confidence and scoring in this area of my game.

For example: The signature hole at our home course is a Par 3 with an island green (see photo below) that plays around 100 yards from the ladies tee. With my Ping 7 iron or 8 iron, I used to carry the water pretty consistently and despite the penal setup of this hole, it's one I typically played well. I have yet to carry the water with the Wilson 7-iron and consistently hit the 6-iron over the green and sometimes into the water behind the green. Finding the water here most likely results in at least a double bogey and it's definitely costing me shots.

Colony_16Green.jpg.2f783169455e1b2b2a1859856fe5ef99.jpg

Miscellaneous (8 of 10)

I love that Wilson has begun to include pro line offerings designed specifically for ladies and greatly appreciate their outreach initiatives to better serve my market segment. Without equipment case studies like the Wilson D7 Challenge, the "chicken or egg" questions surrounding women's participation in the game of golf will remain speculative. So, while I wish the endless D7 setup (i.e. 4-iron, shaft/grip) options available on the men's side would start trickling over to women’s, I applaud Wilson for their focus on better serving the equipment market for ladies. Except for PGA SuperStore I couldn’t find a single golf or sports retail store where I could inspect the Wilson D7 in person. The lack of retail shelf space for Wilson products in general gave me a greater appreciation for the creative customer outreach Wilson Golf demonstrated by getting the network of reps involved through the Wilson D7 Challenge events.

Play It or Trade It (17 of 20)

The popularity of the Pro vs Con list is a pragmatic approach of simple accounting, to help make emotional decisions a little easier. Playing golf is definitely an emotional activity that is best pursued with a pragmatic approach and I have discovered the process of choosing your equipment is no different. So, if we break my overall iron game down by percentage of shots with the (8-GW) and the Pros they offer -vs- the (5-7 iron) Con column - it's a fairly straightforward decision that the Wilson D7 irons offer an overall improvement. Despite nursing a wrist injury throughout this review process, during this testing my handicap has dropped 2.4. strokes to 22.2. That’s my lowest ever index and my 3 lowest career rounds were with the D7 irons. And that makes me very happy! The point deductions in this section are because not only did these irons not give me the anticipated extra distance, but I lost distance consistency, especially with the long irons.

Overall (87 Points)

My main question going into this review:  Are the Wilson D7 irons longer and straighter?

It turns out, by the averages, they aren't any longer for me... so far. But they are appreciably straighter and that has improved my enjoyment, confidence and scores. And the improvements are overwhelmingly in an area of my game that wasn't necessarily my weakest. That combination gives me further confidence that if I can get the longer clubs working for me, I'll see my scores come down even more.

Please reach out in the official review thread if you have any additional questions.

Thanks again to Wilson and MyGolfSpy for this wonderful opportunity. And also to my fellow Spies for being so positive and supportive. I am eternally grateful.

Very impressive review and I'm happy to see you Ladies involved !    

Cleveland

My Stage 2 is up...

Bryson DeChambeau

On 10/3/2019 at 12:47 PM, Steve2100 said:

Above is a graph(please excuse the handmade graph) I made in order to view the data easier.

No excuses needed... love Old School!!  Great review and glad to hear you're liking them.  8+ yards more/iron will likely help you move up a club and improve dispersion. The D7's were on my shortlist to test this past spring/summer but I couldn't find any while in Yuma or here in MT. 

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver 

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:srixon-small:  ZX5 Irons 4-AW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:EVNROLL: ER5v Putter  (Evnroll ER5v Official Review)

:odyssey-small: AI-One Milled Seven T CH (Currently Under Product Test)

On 8/21/2019 at 8:29 AM, GolfDorkette said:

I didn't pick up golf until I was 43, but managed to win my first club championship 2 1/2 years later at Dallas CC.  I have since won 12 more spread over 4 different clubs.  2 in Dallas and 2 in Calif.  I am currently a 9 hdcp but have been as low as a 5. 

Congratulations... I'm jealous 🙂.  I've been playing this game since a tot and have not been able to reach single digit handicap.  It always amazes me how some just naturally take to and have a great game.  Good luck with the recovery - injuries happen.

37 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

The D7's were on my shortlist to test this past spring/summer but I couldn't find any while in Yuma or here in MT. 

On the Wilson website they list (Try before you buy) demo sets of the D7 for $9.99. The men's are currently out of stock but I suggest that you contact them to see when more will be available. The ladies sets are still in stock and ready for a trial.

PXG 0811 XF driver

3 minutes ago, artful_golfer said:

On the Wilson website they list (Try before you buy) demo sets of the D7 for $9.99. The men's are currently out of stock but I suggest that you contact them to see when more will be available. The ladies sets are still in stock and ready for a trial.

Too late. I made the BIG LEAP in July - choosing the PING G410's.  If you're having trouble sleeping, check out my "Former PE2 Players" and "Unofficial Review of the G410 Irons" threads 😄.

Hi fellow spies. I posted my Stage 2 review for these Wilson D7 irons last night. Yippee!

Well done Artful_Golfer I learned a lot from reading that review, really well done!

20yrs ago I lived in the mid-cities, don’t miss that 100+ degree heat at all! Of course we’re in the 20’s today with wind and snow , maybe I should be careful what I wish for 🤣

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

10 hours ago, toehold57 said:

Well done Artful_Golferemoji106.png I learned a lot from reading that review, really well done!

20yrs ago I lived in the mid-cities, don’t miss that 100+ degree heat at all! Of course we’re in the 20’s today with wind and snow emoji849.png, maybe I should be careful what I wish for 🤣

Thank you for the kudos. The whole idea of doing testing/reviews is so other people can learn from the participants. I've learned so much from others' posts since joining MyGolfSpy. I just love it.

I like sunny 95° beach weather but I also like bundling up for a hike in the mountains when there is light snow!

PXG 0811 XF driver

On 8/21/2019 at 9:32 AM, artful_golfer said:

Cons (5-7 iron): Where the D7 scoring clubs offer confidence, consistency, and options - the longer approach clubs have given me fits on the course. My good shots are quite good and my bad shots are awful. ShotScope distance range stats with each of these clubs is all over the place - like 50 yards difference from good to bad. I know a lot of that disparity has to do with my skill level as a relative beginner and making some pretty bad swings. But for whatever reason, I make a lot of bad swings with the longer clubs and it has negatively impacted confidence and scoring in this area of my game.

For example: The signature hole at our home course is a Par 3 with an island green (see photo below) that plays around 100 yards from the ladies tee. With my Ping 7 iron or 8 iron, I used to carry the water pretty consistently and despite the penal setup of this hole, it's one I typically played well. I have yet to carry the water with the Wilson 7-iron and consistently hit the 6-iron over the green and sometimes into the water behind the green. Finding the water here most likely results in at least a double bogey and it's definitely costing me shots.

Colony_16Green.jpg.2f783169455e1b2b2a1859856fe5ef99.jpg

Woohoo I finally did it! The course was not busy this evening so I dropped 4 balls on this tee determined to figure out how to hit the Wilson 7 iron over the water and stay on the green. #4 ball stuck. After playing we went back to that same hole so I could conquer it again. YES, and within 4ft of the hole on the 1st attempt. Gee what a relief and confidence booster.

Next act - conquer the 6 & 5 irons.

PXG 0811 XF driver

11 hours ago, artful_golfer said:

Woohoo I finally did it! The course was not busy this evening so I dropped 4 balls on this tee determined to figure out how to hit the Wilson 7 iron over the water and stay on the green. #4 ball stuck. After playing we went back to that same hole so I could conquer it again. YES, and within 4ft of the hole on the 1st attempt. Gee what a relief and confidence booster.

Next act - conquer the 6 & 5 irons.

Great work!!!  I am joining you on the conquer the longer irons quest.  The 5 iron is my current work of art. I think it may be finally coming around. I’m glad you beat me to one of the post stage 2 goals! 

Gameday

Classic Bag

10 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

Great work!!!  I am joining you on the conquer the longer irons quest.  The 5 iron is my current work of art. I think it may be finally coming around. I’m glad you beat me to one of the post stage 2 goals!

We just need a little more time for the rest of the Wilson's (or us) to work into place. I feel confident that the rest will make it.

PXG 0811 XF driver