Jump to content
Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Wilson D7 Challenge

Recommended Posts

39 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

Hey John.  Was that video done in front of a mirror?  Something looks odd (backwards) and I cannot put my finger on it 🤣.  I wanted to add these into my recent, rather long winded iron testing, but could not find any.  I really like the look of them and that Wilson is back in the game.  Golf just isn't golf without them being part of the tapestry.  Have fun and throw a few HR's in the evaluation - certainly that has to be a consideration going into the 2020 HRC and unseating Mr. @sirchunksalot 🤗

No mirrors involved.  I promise I am taking my hacks from the right side of the ball 😁.  I'll see what kind of rocks I can find to throw in strictly for science.  @sirchunksalot we are barely 2 months removed and the forum is gearing up to steal your crown!

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, downlowkey said:

Great start @JohnSmalls!!!

I combed through it a few times.

The two potential “abnormalities” I found:

1 - Your HCP is actually trending downward after switching to the Nike Vapor Pro Combos - decidedly not a “game improvement” setup.

2 - The lengths don’t match your fitting specs and the lofts are anywhere from 3 to 5 degrees weaker than standard.

How’d I do?

Thanks!  You nailed the first one. My HCP has been on a pretty strong downward trend since the switch to a less forgiving iron.  I am not sure if it is due to a better fitting shaft or a combination of less offset/thinner sole profile, or if I am finally grooving a swing and improving and it has nothing to do with the irons? 

I thought the lengths were spot on, since the -.25" made them match the Pro Combos.  But now that you mention it, maybe the proper fitting is -.25" shorter, still.  I am interested to hear your thoughts on that.  But the lengths and lofts weren't it.

The second abnormality (for lack of a better term) is still on the loose, it has to do with the photos.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Steve2100 thank you for your service.  I don't know if I missed it or it hasn't been brought up before but I didn't know that you were a police officer. I think we found the right irons for you with the little blue line running on the badging!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

Thanks!  You nailed the first one. My HCP has been on a pretty strong downward trend since the switch to a less forgiving iron.  I am not sure if it is due to a better fitting shaft or a combination of less offset/thinner sole profile, or if I am finally grooving a swing and improving and it has nothing to do with the irons? 

I thought the lengths were spot on, since the -.25" made them match the Pro Combos.  But now that you mention it, maybe the proper fitting is -.25" shorter, still.  I am interested to hear your thoughts on that.  But the lengths and lofts weren't it.

The second abnormality (for lack of a better term) is still on the loose, it has to do with the photos.

 

Oops - I was reviewing on my tiny phone and thought the two spec charts were Wilson D7 standard specs -vs- your custom fitting specs... which also makes my comment on club length irrelevant.

Edit: What shafts are you playing in the Nikes?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
No mirrors involved.  I promise I am taking my hacks from the right side of the ball .  I'll see what kind of rocks I can find to throw in strictly for science.  [mention=80128]sirchunksalot[/mention] we are barely 2 months removed and the forum is gearing up to steal your crown!
Looks like I'm going to have to get ready to defend my title. giphy(8).gif



Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app

  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, downlowkey said:

Oops - I was reviewing on my tiny phone and thought the two spec charts were Wilson D7 standard specs -vs- your custom fitting specs... which also makes my comment on club length irrelevant.

Edit: What shafts are you playing in the Nikes?

No worries.  For the sake of clarity, I had to crop and zoom in on the Nike spec sheet to fit the 500px suggestion.  I didn't realize how confusing that was looking at a spec sheet that didn't have a picture nor the actual brand of the clubs on it. 

I am playing the stock Dynamic Gold Pro R300s in the Nikes.  Though, I am not quite sure yet on how well the DG Pros stack up to the Dynamic Gold AMTs in the Wilsons. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, sirchunksalot said:

Great Stage 1's@JohnSmalls and@Steve2100. I think this is going to a fun thread to follow as each one of you that were chosen did a great job on the D7 challenge thread.

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app
 

Thanks Jason!  We’re gonna try to make this fun.  Going to be a busy couple of months on the forum with all of the reviews going on

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Great review artful! 5 years golfing and your swing looks like  that! I’m jealous! Well done!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Steve2100 said:

Great review artful! 5 years golfing and your swing looks like  that! I’m jealous! Well done!

Thanks for the encouragement!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2019 at 9:31 AM, artful_golfer said:

I started playing golf 5 years ago at 60 years old. I’m not particularly coordinated in sporting endeavors. I have worked hard to improve and my handicap has gradually come down to 24. Putting is the only aspect that ever felt easy and natural to me. I have a theory that putting is easier for visual learners like me.

I’m a happy, patient but determined golfer and enjoy playing with other good vibes golfers. I’m happiest when doing things with my husband (almost 45 years a golfer) and my son - @downlowkey, so I guess golf was eventually in my future. I love to practice, but refer to it as "research" time. I typically play/practice 2-3 times a week but rarely play 18 holes two days in a row.

My Swing. Thank you to Aaron Speaker, the head pro at The Club at Colony Creek, for making these for me today! The thermometer showed 101 degrees for us out there!

 

 

Put me down as jealous of that swing too.  I only hope mine can look that good after 5 years.  By the way, great stage 1 and very cool looking collage. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, MomoMan83 said:

Put me down as jealous of that swing too.  I only hope mine can look that good after 5 years.  By the way, great stage 1 and very cool looking collage. 

Thank you. To use that frame I actually took it off the wall and removed my artwork. I wanted to show a combo of two of the several things I'm passionate about - golf and art.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, artful_golfer said:

Thank you. To use that frame I actually took it off the wall and removed my artwork. I wanted to show a combo of two of the several things I'm passionate about - golf and art.

That was really, really clever!  I have to echo what the others have said.  I hope my swing looks that smooth in 2 more years!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, time for my first review update.

I know I just completed my Stage 1 review last night, but I've already been playing with these new irons. So it's time for my first weekly post. I've played 3 rounds and 2 practice sessions in the last week and half.

Wilson_1stUpdate_Inbag.jpg.e8e575583ef385512da4b11a6345b88c.jpg

First round was not a not a great success. Except for working with the SuperStore fitter to adjust these irons to fit me, I had not been able to hit them. I smacked 7 trees and two went in the water for a 103! My reason (but not an excuse) - it was also my first time to get ShotScope to work so I kept fiddling with it, first time playing a new type of ball, not playing my home course and very nervous playing with 2 very good golfers I had not played with before. I guess I need some bum rounds to know what a good one is.

Second round was a a big sigh of relief. I improved by 10 strokes and finished one more than my personal best. This time I was playing by myself so I could concentrate on what I needed to do in working with new clubs and ShotScope. Too bad I couldn't turn in the score.

Either ShotScope is confused on which club I've been using or my new 6 iron has been sprinkled with magic dust. In both rounds it shows I hit it farther than my 4 iron and once farther than my 5 wood (178 yards). I checked my ShotScope setup and it is correct. I'm not seeing a significant distance improvement yet with the other irons but I'm liking the accuracy.

Practicing on the range was interesting. I don't have equipment to show how far I'm hitting on the range but I found that I love hitting these rather than my hybrid irons. Wasn't sure if I would like the glare off the shine on these but pleased it doesn't seem to bother me.

3rd round almost doesn't count. It was a 2-person scramble and we could each use only 5 clubs. The D7s I opted for were 5 iron, 7 iron and gap wedge. My team didn't win but I learned how far I can it the 5 iron which was about as far as my partner's 5 wood. I also learned how to choke down on a club to turn it into a shorter iron with varied success. I want to practice this.

The perfectly polished finish is already showing wear. I'm proud to say that all of these scratches and smudges belong to me.

Wilson_1stUpdate_SoleScratches.jpg.10983c06f8275c38814878ca57af7b8c.jpg

Wilson_1stUpdate_FaceScratches.jpg.ec8d4af84519a59b76f549199f31f4fd.jpg

I haven't played this week yet because I've been spending time on writing my review. I plan to play this weekend and then travel to a tournament in San Antonio on Monday. I'll let you know how it goes with my post next week. Cheers.

 

  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@artful_golfer first off I want to say great job on your stage 1! You can add me to the list of people who are jealous of how smooth you're swing is, I've been playing on and off for around 25 years and haven't achieved that nice of a tempo. Great job on your scoring improvement from your first round, it can be rough the first time out with new equipment. Keep up the good work!

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app
 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, sirchunksalot said:

@artful_golfer first off I want to say great job on your stage 1! You can add me to the list of people who are jealous of how smooth you're swing is, I've been playing on and off for around 25 years and haven't achieved that nice of a tempo. Great job on your scoring improvement from your first round, it can be rough the first time out with new equipment. Keep up the good work!

Sent from my SM-G955U using MyGolfSpy mobile app
 

I've added her to my list of women that swing faster than me.  Excellent job artful_golfer!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Way too early first impressions:

Accuracy and forgiveness on these irons is impressive.  I have hit a number of balls thin and the ball still got up and carried.  Proof in the pudding, from 200 out, I caught a 4 iron thin with a touch of fade and had my first GIR with the D7s and a GREAT look at birdie that I missed by about two inches.  I blocked a 9 iron and 7 iron, but they stayed the course and still gave me a great look at the green.  Another surprise popped up in how well these clubs communicate back to you when you miss the center of the face.  That is something I started to learn more about with my Pro Combos because previous game improvement irons really muted the feedback.  But like any good iron, these clubs feel great when you smash the center of the clubface.  They are surprisingly  soft. 

Some things to keep an eye on:  I am not getting anything like distance increase expected from the loft decreases per iron.  These DG AMTs feel heavy as they can be roughly 10g heavier than my previous shafts.  I think that might have something to do with it. But the clubhead also feels heavier through the swing, causing what feels like more shaft flex through the downswing, especially when I try to step on it a little bit. 

I was concerned about a lack of spin, and that showcased itself on the par 5, 13th hole.  I played a ProV1x with a 6 iron into the middle of the green.  Our greens really work well with high spin players and with my old 5 and 6 iron from the same distance I will see 6-7 yards rollout max (generally a touch less) on this particular green.  I hit the best iron shot all day here just a touch of fade and the ball landed middle of the green but ran out somewhere between 10-12 yards to the very back of the green.

More to come.

  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnSmalls said:

Way too early first impressions:

Accuracy and forgiveness on these irons is impressive.  I have hit a number of balls thin and the ball still got up and carried.  Proof in the pudding, from 200 out, I caught a 4 iron thin with a touch of fade and had my first GIR with the D7s and a GREAT look at birdie that I missed by about two inches.  I blocked a 9 iron and 7 iron, but they stayed the course and still gave me a great look at the green.  Another surprise popped up in how well these clubs communicate back to you when you miss the center of the face.  That is something I started to learn more about with my Pro Combos because previous game improvement irons really muted the feedback.  But like any good iron, these clubs feel great when you smash the center of the clubface.  They are surprisingly  soft. 

Some things to keep an eye on:  I am not getting anything like distance increase expected from the loft decreases per iron.  These DG AMTs feel heavy as they can be roughly 10g heavier than my previous shafts.  I think that might have something to do with it. But the clubhead also feels heavier through the swing, causing what feels like more shaft flex through the downswing, especially when I try to step on it a little bit. 

I was concerned about a lack of spin, and that showcased itself on the par 5, 13th hole.  I played a ProV1x with a 6 iron into the middle of the green.  Our greens really work well with high spin players and with my old 5 and 6 iron from the same distance I will see 6-7 yards rollout max (generally a touch less) on this particular green.  I hit the best iron shot all day here just a touch of fade and the ball landed middle of the green but ran out somewhere between 10-12 yards to the very back of the green.

More to come.

Are you seeing consistent distances with these irons when struck well?  When I did the D7 challenge my Cleveland launchers were all within 2 yards of each other.  The D7 irons not so much so I'm curious if this translates to the course for all of you.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wedgie said:

I've added her to my list of women that swing faster than me.  Excellent job artful_golfer!

Thanks for the compliment but don't include me on that list so quickly. Things are not always how they seem. That swing speed was when I was fresh and rested. Have no idea if I can do it again. You can't tell it in the video but my right wrist is heavily taped. I'm playing with a sprained wrist and being very cautious, so right now my swing speed is about 25 mph less. Wait until @GolfDorkette posts her review - her handicap is only 8 so I imagine her swing blows many of us out of the water.

TapedWrist.jpg.3bed429d7c80d51fdb82b17ce14f4c02.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...