Jump to content
Golfspy_CG2

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Wilson D7 Challenge

Recommended Posts

Our Sponsors

My Stage 2 is up...

 

 

  • Like 4

"Obviously my iron play is incredible, and when I get going I can get hot, but this course just fits my eye. The shaping of the holes, and just a couple of the doglegs, I'm able to shape shots."

 Bryson DeChambeau

 

In my  :ping-small: Hoofer Lite

 

:srixon-small: Z765 9.5 with Miyazaka Kaula Mizu 6 Stiff Shaft (TrueGolfFit Recommended!!!)

:cobra-small: F8 3-4 wood 16* Aldilla Blue 70 Stiff shaft

:taylormade-small: Rescue mid 2 iron 16*

:cobra-small: One Length Forged Tec 4-GW with AMT Black shafts

:cameron-small: Futura Phantom 2

:bridgestone-small:Tour B330 RX

 

Like Bass Fishing? Check out my one and only article!!!

https://www.bassresource.com/beginner/get-started-bass-fishing.html

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/3/2019 at 12:47 PM, Steve2100 said:

Above is a graph(please excuse the handmade graph) I made in order to view the data easier.

No excuses needed... love Old School!!  Great review and glad to hear you're liking them.  8+ yards more/iron will likely help you move up a club and improve dispersion. The D7's were on my shortlist to test this past spring/summer but I couldn't find any while in Yuma or here in MT. 

  • Like 3

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2019 at 8:29 AM, GolfDorkette said:

I didn't pick up golf until I was 43, but managed to win my first club championship 2 1/2 years later at Dallas CC.  I have since won 12 more spread over 4 different clubs.  2 in Dallas and 2 in Calif.  I am currently a 9 hdcp but have been as low as a 5. 

Congratulations... I'm jealous 🙂.  I've been playing this game since a tot and have not been able to reach single digit handicap.  It always amazes me how some just naturally take to and have a great game.  Good luck with the recovery - injuries happen.

  • Like 1

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, fixyurdivot said:

 The D7's were on my shortlist to test this past spring/summer but I couldn't find any while in Yuma or here in MT. 

On the Wilson website they list (Try before you buy) demo sets of the D7 for $9.99. The men's are currently out of stock but I suggest that you contact them to see when more will be available. The ladies sets are still in stock and ready for a trial.

  • Like 1

:cobra-small: King Cobra F8 driver

:ping-small: Serene: woods 3 & 5

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4 - 9 irons, PW

:cleveland-small: RTX-3: 52/10 wedge and 56/11 wedge

:edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V2 with V3 on the way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, artful_golfer said:

On the Wilson website they list (Try before you buy) demo sets of the D7 for $9.99. The men's are currently out of stock but I suggest that you contact them to see when more will be available. The ladies sets are still in stock and ready for a trial.

Too late. I made the BIG LEAP in July - choosing the PING G410's.  If you're having trouble sleeping, check out my "Former PE2 Players" and "Unofficial Review of the G410 Irons" threads 😄.

  • Like 3

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hi fellow spies. I posted my Stage 2 review for these Wilson D7 irons last night. Yippee!




Well done Artful_Golfer I learned a lot from reading that review, really well done!

20yrs ago I lived in the mid-cities, don’t miss that 100+ degree heat at all! Of course we’re in the 20’s today with wind and snow , maybe I should be careful what I wish for 🤣


Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, toehold57 said:

Well done Artful_Golferemoji106.png I learned a lot from reading that review, really well done!

20yrs ago I lived in the mid-cities, don’t miss that 100+ degree heat at all! Of course we’re in the 20’s today with wind and snow emoji849.png, maybe I should be careful what I wish for 🤣

Thank you for the kudos. The whole idea of doing testing/reviews is so other people can learn from the participants. I've learned so much from others' posts since joining MyGolfSpy. I just love it.

I like sunny 95° beach weather but I also like bundling up for a hike in the mountains when there is light snow!

  • Like 5

:cobra-small: King Cobra F8 driver

:ping-small: Serene: woods 3 & 5

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4 - 9 irons, PW

:cleveland-small: RTX-3: 52/10 wedge and 56/11 wedge

:edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V2 with V3 on the way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/21/2019 at 9:32 AM, artful_golfer said:

Cons (5-7 iron): Where the D7 scoring clubs offer confidence, consistency, and options - the longer approach clubs have given me fits on the course. My good shots are quite good and my bad shots are awful. ShotScope distance range stats with each of these clubs is all over the place - like 50 yards difference from good to bad. I know a lot of that disparity has to do with my skill level as a relative beginner and making some pretty bad swings. But for whatever reason, I make a lot of bad swings with the longer clubs and it has negatively impacted confidence and scoring in this area of my game.

For example: The signature hole at our home course is a Par 3 with an island green (see photo below) that plays around 100 yards from the ladies tee. With my Ping 7 iron or 8 iron, I used to carry the water pretty consistently and despite the penal setup of this hole, it's one I typically played well. I have yet to carry the water with the Wilson 7-iron and consistently hit the 6-iron over the green and sometimes into the water behind the green. Finding the water here most likely results in at least a double bogey and it's definitely costing me shots.

Colony_16Green.jpg.2f783169455e1b2b2a1859856fe5ef99.jpg

 

Woohoo I finally did it! The course was not busy this evening so I dropped 4 balls on this tee determined to figure out how to hit the Wilson 7 iron over the water and stay on the green. #4 ball stuck. After playing we went back to that same hole so I could conquer it again. YES, and within 4ft of the hole on the 1st attempt. Gee what a relief and confidence booster.

Next act - conquer the 6 & 5 irons.

  • Like 7

:cobra-small: King Cobra F8 driver

:ping-small: Serene: woods 3 & 5

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4 - 9 irons, PW

:cleveland-small: RTX-3: 52/10 wedge and 56/11 wedge

:edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V2 with V3 on the way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, artful_golfer said:

Woohoo I finally did it! The course was not busy this evening so I dropped 4 balls on this tee determined to figure out how to hit the Wilson 7 iron over the water and stay on the green. #4 ball stuck. After playing we went back to that same hole so I could conquer it again. YES, and within 4ft of the hole on the 1st attempt. Gee what a relief and confidence booster.

Next act - conquer the 6 & 5 irons.

Great work!!!  I am joining you on the conquer the longer irons quest.  The 5 iron is my current work of art. I think it may be finally coming around. I’m glad you beat me to one of the post stage 2 goals! 

  • Like 5

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

 

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:cobra-small: F9 TL, Atmos TS Blue
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:bridgestone-small: BXS

Romans 10:9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, JohnSmalls said:

Great work!!!  I am joining you on the conquer the longer irons quest.  The 5 iron is my current work of art. I think it may be finally coming around. I’m glad you beat me to one of the post stage 2 goals!

We just need a little more time for the rest of the Wilson's (or us) to work into place. I feel confident that the rest will make it.

  • Like 4

:cobra-small: King Cobra F8 driver

:ping-small: Serene: woods 3 & 5

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4 - 9 irons, PW

:cleveland-small: RTX-3: 52/10 wedge and 56/11 wedge

:edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V2 with V3 on the way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, artful_golfer said:

Woohoo I finally did it! The course was not busy this evening so I dropped 4 balls on this tee determined to figure out how to hit the Wilson 7 iron over the water and stay on the green. #4 ball stuck. After playing we went back to that same hole so I could conquer it again. YES, and within 4ft of the hole on the 1st attempt. Gee what a relief and confidence booster.

Next act - conquer the 6 & 5 irons.

Hey, maybe you're onto something here... conquer one stick at a time as opposed to the whole bag 😄

  • Like 5

:ping-small: G410 Plus, 9 Degree Driver | Official 2019 MGS Tester

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 16 Degree 3w

:ping-small: G400 SFT, 19 Degree 5w

:ping-small: G410 Irons 4-UW 

:ping-small: Glide 2.0 56 Degree SW   (removed from double secret probation 😍)

:ping-small: B61 Putter

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a case of the toey’s this weekend that I couldn’t fix and played the worst round of golf that I have played in years. But, the forgiveness on these irons continues to impress.  Bad strikes still continue to travel and get up in the air enough to hold a green.  

One of my concerns going into this test was about stopping power.  So far so good.  8 and 7 irons from 160-175, are holding greens better than expected.  I don’t have photos of recent results, but runout has been around the 5 yard mark from these distances. The GW is producing spin to a rate combined with the moonshots it produces to the rate that shots are hopping and stopping or even pulling back from the ball mark.  This is a surprise.

As I get back into a steady practice routine and on the course more frequently, I’m going to do some head to head testing with the Nikes. 

Did I mention how high of a ball flight these irons produce? 

  • Like 2

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

 

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:cobra-small: F9 TL, Atmos TS Blue
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:bridgestone-small: BXS

Romans 10:9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really interesting look at clubs for 'playas vs clubs designed for forgiveness.  

 

  • Like 3

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

 

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:cobra-small: F9 TL, Atmos TS Blue
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:bridgestone-small: BXS

Romans 10:9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally had a chance to peruse through these reviews in more detail. Been following along with interest as Wilson is certainly producing some great looking clubs (and they continue to rock the power holes!). Looks like some of you have had great results with these irons.

Question for you testers: Has anyone seen a propensity for an occasional flyer from the irons, i.e. a face hot spot and not a flyer from the rough? My C300s produce an abnormally long shot every so often that travels a good 15-20 yards more than a typical shot, all other things being equal as far as my golfing ability allows.

I ask because during a recent fitting the fitter asked me if my Wilsons produced this type of random increase in length occasionally, and he didn't seem at all surprised when I said that they had. I'm assuming it's something he saw a lot with this particular head and/or with the power holes (they are a Wilson fitter and stock the complete line).

  • Like 2

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 10.6 (Last Updated July 3, 2020)

2020 MGS #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE PARTICIPANT - Check out the pre-chatter thread!

#CC4 WITB (Cobra Black/Yellow Ultralight Cart Bag)

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to 7.5°), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°, set to 13.5°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
4-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff (soft-stepped), Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, edingc said:

Question for you testers: Has anyone seen a propensity for an occasional flyer from the irons, i.e. a face hot spot and not a flyer from the rough? My C300s produce an abnormally long shot every so often that travels a good 15-20 yards more than a typical shot, all other things being equal as far as my golfing ability allows.

I ask because during a recent fitting the fitter asked me if my Wilsons produced this type of random increase in length occasionally, and he didn't seem at all surprised when I said that they had. I'm assuming it's something he saw a lot with this particular head and/or with the power holes (they are a Wilson fitter and stock the complete line).

Yes sir, absolutely. It's an issue for me that I've alluded to since the beginning. At first I thought it was a reflection of me and my skill level but others have had similar distance issues. In my reviews I labeled it distance inconsistency but occasion flyers and a face hot spot are apt descriptions. The surprise happens more with the 5, 6 and 7 irons (especially my 6 iron).

  • Like 2

:cobra-small: King Cobra F8 driver

:ping-small: Serene: woods 3 & 5

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4 - 9 irons, PW

:cleveland-small: RTX-3: 52/10 wedge and 56/11 wedge

:edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V2 with V3 on the way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, edingc said:

Finally had a chance to peruse through these reviews in more detail. Been following along with interest as Wilson is certainly producing some great looking clubs (and they continue to rock the power holes!). Looks like some of you have had great results with these irons.

Question for you testers: Has anyone seen a propensity for an occasional flyer from the irons, i.e. a face hot spot and not a flyer from the rough? My C300s produce an abnormally long shot every so often that travels a good 15-20 yards more than a typical shot, all other things being equal as far as my golfing ability allows.

I ask because during a recent fitting the fitter asked me if my Wilsons produced this type of random increase in length occasionally, and he didn't seem at all surprised when I said that they had. I'm assuming it's something he saw a lot with this particular head and/or with the power holes (they are a Wilson fitter and stock the complete line).

Great question.  I haven't had any "fliers" to that extent.  If anything, I have had the opposite with the GW.   Occasional shots coming up 10 yards shorter than expected.  With that said, the 4-6 irons seem to be coming around at last so I should start getting some good data from them. Have you noticed fliers are more susceptible to one golf ball over another?

  • Like 3

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

 

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:cobra-small: F9 TL, Atmos TS Blue
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:bridgestone-small: BXS

Romans 10:9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JohnSmalls said:

 Have you noticed fliers are more susceptible to one golf ball over another?

No. I've played with the same ball - Bridgestone Tour B XS. And I put all them through the salt water balance test before using them. (I have a few that I kept for "practice" only because they have rough surface areas.)

  • Like 1

:cobra-small: King Cobra F8 driver

:ping-small: Serene: woods 3 & 5

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4 - 9 irons, PW

:cleveland-small: RTX-3: 52/10 wedge and 56/11 wedge

:edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V2 with V3 on the way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, artful_golfer said:

Yes sir, absolutely. It's an issue for me that I've alluded to since the beginning. At first I thought it was a reflection of me and my skill level but others have had similar distance issues. In my reviews I labeled it distance inconsistency but occasion flyers and a face hot spot are apt descriptions. The surprise happens more with the 5, 6 and 7 irons (especially my 6 iron).

Thanks! Glad it's not just my imagination.

26 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

Great question.  I haven't had any "fliers" to that extent.  If anything, I have had the opposite with the GW.   Occasional shots coming up 10 yards shorter than expected.  With that said, the 4-6 irons seem to be coming around at last so I should start getting some good data from them. Have you noticed fliers are more susceptible to one golf ball over another?

Funny you should mention your gap wedge. I personally think it was the design (it looks absolutely huge on my C300s and didn't really instill confidence), but I really struggled with that club going less than expected as well. 

Played almost exclusively Snell MTB Black and MTB-X this season, didn't seem to affect one ball or another. But I can think of a few shots that really stick out. A 9 iron that carried almost 160 uphill, when my carry is more typically 135-145, a pitching wedge that carried 140 when 125-130 was expected and a 7 iron that carried 180 yards when 165 was expected. Again, maybe it was my ball striking, but there were definitely a few time where I went, "Huh?" this season.

  • Like 2

Unofficial WHS Handicap: 10.6 (Last Updated July 3, 2020)

2020 MGS #COBRACONNECT CHALLENGE PARTICIPANT - Check out the pre-chatter thread!

#CC4 WITB (Cobra Black/Yellow Ultralight Cart Bag)

Driver: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone Xtreme (9°, set to 7.5°), 44.5", Aldila Rogue Silver 60 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
3W: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone (15°, set to 13.5°), -3/4" SHORT, Aldila Rogue Silver 70 (110 MSI) Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
17° Hybrid: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, -1/2" SHORT, UST Recoil 480 ESX F4, Lamkin Sonar Connect
4-GW: :cobra-small: Cobra SpeedZone, 2° Flat, -1/2" SHORT, KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff, Lamkin Sonar Connect
54°, 58°: :cobra-small: Cobra KING Black, 3° Flat, -1/2" SHORT (54°), -1/4" SHORT (58°), KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff (soft-stepped), Lamkin Sonar Connect
Putter: :taylormade-small: TaylorMade Spider X, 33", Golf Pride Tour Only Red Star
Ball: :Snell:Snell MTB-X Optic Yellow
Tracked By: :Arccos: Cobra Connect powered by Arccos

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, artful_golfer said:

No. I've played with the same ball - Bridgestone Tour B XS. And I put all them through the salt water balance test before using them. (I have a few that I kept for "practice" only because they have rough surface areas.)

 

13 hours ago, edingc said:

Thanks! Glad it's not just my imagination.

Funny you should mention your gap wedge. I personally think it was the design (it looks absolutely huge on my C300s and didn't really instill confidence), but I really struggled with that club going less than expected as well. 

Played almost exclusively Snell MTB Black and MTB-X this season, didn't seem to affect one ball or another. But I can think of a few shots that really stick out. A 9 iron that carried almost 160 uphill, when my carry is more typically 135-145, a pitching wedge that carried 140 when 125-130 was expected and a 7 iron that carried 180 yards when 165 was expected. Again, maybe it was my ball striking, but there were definitely a few time where I went, "Huh?" this season.

That's interesting that you both are catching fliers with a ball that is generally more of a high spin design.  I figured that a low compression/lower spin design might be more susceptible.  Count me intrigued.

@edingc I definitely haven't had any of those instances outside of the first couple of times out on the course.  The only on comes to mind either the first or second time I had them out for testing.  I hit a PW 155-160 uphill but it was with a marshmellow ball out of the rough.  I haven't had that problem since. 

I shared a similar sentiment to the GW when I first got it.  Strangely it has been my best performing club, even with the random loss in distance.

  • Like 2

2020 MGS Hard Rock Challenge

 

SkyCaddie SX400
OGIO Silencer:  Followed by Arccos
:cobra-small: F9 TL, Atmos TS Blue
:nike-small: Vapor Fly 3, Diamana Blue, Covert 2.0 3H, Kuro Kage Black
:wilson-small:
Wilson D7 Irons 4-GW,  Dynamic Gold AMT
:ping-small: Glide  52, 56 ES
:EVNROLL: ER2
:bridgestone-small: BXS

Romans 10:9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Today, I loaned my Wilson testing irons to another lady golfer to try out . So far after one round, she likes them and how they feel. Like me, she especially likes the graphics on the soft grips that help her line up the club face. She's going to keep them for a couple of weeks then I'll post her comments.

  • Like 4

:cobra-small: King Cobra F8 driver

:ping-small: Serene: woods 3 & 5

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4 - 9 irons, PW

:cleveland-small: RTX-3: 52/10 wedge and 56/11 wedge

:edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B RXS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V2 with V3 on the way

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...