TESTERS WANTED! ×

2019 Official Forum Member Review-Wilson D7 Challenge

Golfspy_CG2

12 hours ago, revkev said:

I’m curious if that inconsistency I’d through the bag or just with certain clubs?

Sent from my iPhone using MyGolfSpy

I don't know. I remember having the most inconsistency with the longer irons. And I remember another tester also commenting on a surprise long distance.

Even though I was delighted to hit my lowest score with them, I never felt confident enough that I knew how far the longer irons were going to fly. I fully accept that being inconsistent is part of why I'm a higher handicap player but I do want to feel a little more confident.

PXG 0811 XF driver

:ping-small: Serene: 3 wood, 4 & 5 hybrid iron

:taylormade-small: r7 Draw, Flex L: 4, 6 - 9 irons

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

:bettinardi-1: Armlock putter or  :edel-golf-1: E-2 Torque custom fit putter

:bridgestone-small: Tour B XS golf ball

:ShotScope:  V3

I don't know. I remember having the most inconsistency with the longer irons. And I remember another tester also commenting on a surprise long distance.
Even though I was delighted to hit my lowest score with them, I never felt confident enough that I knew how far the longer irons were going to fly. I fully accept that being inconsistent is part of why I'm a higher handicap player but I do want to feel a little more confident.

Thanks!

Where does “longer iron” start for you? Now I’m curious because I’m wondering if you’ve ever been fit for or tried hybrids, utilities or fairways at those spots in your bag?

Maybe your swing is more like mine and requires a wider platform after 6 or 7 iron? Lots of LPGA players break there and shift to hybrid or fairway wood too.

Just a thought to consider.

Taylor Made Stealth 2 10.5 Diamana S plus 60  Aldila  R flex   - 42.25 inches 

SMT 4 wood bassara R flex, four wood head, 3 wood shaft

Ping G410 7, 9 wood  Alta 65 R flex

Srixon ZX5 MK II  5-GW - UST recoil Dart 65 R flex

India 52,56 (60 pending)  UST recoil 75's R flex  

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

On 6/13/2020 at 12:16 AM, artful_golfer said:

switched to TaylorMade R7

Nice! My first "real" irons, after my starter box set, were R9s .. gave them away to a friend's sons but from time to time I wonder if I shudda kept them and given the kids something else..!

WITB of an "aspiring"  😉 play-ah ...
Driver...Callaway Paradym (Aldila Ascent PL Blue 40/A)
5W...Callaway Great Big Bertha (MCA Kai'Li Red 50/R)
7W...Tour Edge Exotics EXS (Tensei CK Blue 50/R)

4H...Callaway Epic Super Hybrid (Recoil ZT9 F3)
5H...Callaway Big Bertha ('19) (Recoil 460 ESX F3)
6i-GW...Sub 70 699 V2 (Recoil 660 F3) 
54°, 60°...Cleveland CBX2, CBX 60 (Rotex graphite)
Putter...Ev
nRoll ER5 or MLA Tour XDream (P2 Reflex grip on both)
...all in a Datrek bag on an MGI Zip Navigator electric cart. Ball often, not always, MaxFli Tour.

Forum Member tester for the Paradym X driver (2023)
Forum Member tester for the ExPutt Putting Simulator (2020)

followthrough.jpg

Bad news........Friday after I attached my bag to the cart, I pulled away from the parking lot only to hear my bag hit the concrete....UGH!

My brand new D7 Gap and SW got scratched up. Does not hurt play but hurts my pride. I took an Emory board and lightly sanded the burrs.

Sent from my iPad using MyGolfSpy

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Hybrid: None in bag at the moment

IronsTitleist T300 5-PW w/Fubuki MV Senior graphite shafts w/Golf Pride Tour

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Bag: Vice cart bag(Black/Lime). 

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

Using Shot Scope X5 and Pinned Rangefinder

Bad news........Friday after I attached my bag to the cart, I pulled away from the parking lot only to hear my bag hit the concrete....UGH!

My brand new D7 Gap and SW got scratched up. Does not hurt play but hurts my pride. I took an Emory board and lightly sanded the burrs.

Ugh, I hate that.
I did the opposite couple years ago. Placed my bag behind our cart and SWMBO interrupted me and I forgot to strap it in. Next morning 6:30 am opened the garage and backed over most of my bag, Freakin mess. Clubs all scraped, bag semi-crushed and you can imagine the rest.

Rick

Left Hand, 

Driver; PXG 0311XF Cypher 50 gr Senior  
5 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr       
7 wood; Ping 425, Senior Shaft 55 gr      
5 hybrid; Cally Steelhead, Hazardous R2     
Irons; Mizuno JPX 923HM 7-GW Recoil 460 F2
Wedges; Titleist S9 54*, Mizuno SW 56*

Putter; Waaay too many to list

12 hours ago, revkev said:

Thanks!

Where does “longer iron” start for you? Now I’m curious because I’m wondering if you’ve ever been fit for or tried hybrids, utilities or fairways at those spots in your bag?

Maybe your swing is more like mine and requires a wider platform after 6 or 7 iron? Lots of LPGA players break there and shift to hybrid or fairway wood too.

Just a thought to consider.

Longer irons for me starts with 6 or 7.

With my starter set (Pings) my regular irons stopped at #7. #6, #5 and #4 were hybrid irons. As I was just beginning to learn to play, I went to Golfsmith with a request to be fit for a set. A Ping Serene set with hybrid irons was the winner. I was such a golf newbie I didn't know any difference and had never played more than two holes. I could hit the hybrids in the fairway but I couldn't seem to hit them out of grass that was even just a little taller. Once when visiting @downlowkeyI grabbed a 2 iron out of his bag on the way to the golf course. I didn't know I shouldn't be able to hit it but I was desperate to try a longer regular iron. I was delighted when I was able to hit it out of the grass!. So I asked @downlowkey to help me find a longer regular iron (like maybe a 3). He found the TaylorMade R7 Draw 4 iron which turned out to be a perfect fit for me and quickly became my favorite club.

I asked my fitter about why I had trouble hitting the hybrids when in taller grass and he said I have a tendency to hit them like a wood instead of down on them like an iron. Whatever the reason, it made me decide to work toward doing away with my hybrids in favor of all regular irons. It's a task that I finally completed just yesterday with the addition of a 5 iron.

I still have 3 and 5 woods from my original Pings but I am in the process of searching for replacements that better fit me.

One complaint I had with the Wilson D7 set I received is the longest ladies iron was a 5 and no Sand Wedge. I never conquered the D7 5-iron. Instead I still carried my Ping 5 hybrid.

PXG 0811 XF driver

:cleveland-small: Wedges: RTX Zipcore 46 mid bounce; RTX-3: 52/10 wedge; and Tour Action 900 60* low bounce

Look at it as a badge of courage. Sorry it happened.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

It's our offseason so auditioning candidates - looking for that right mix of low spin long, more spin around the greens - TBD   

Look at it as a badge of courage. Sorry it happened.

Thanks Rev, it doesn’t bother me much.....getting to like the GW, yesterday had 96 yards to pin and nailed the GW within 3 feet.

Cobra King F8(10.5*) w/ Mitdubishi Tense ck Blue Regular; 3W & 5W Cobra King F8 w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular shafts; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid w/Project X Evenflo Regular shaft; Wilson Staff D-7 5-PW w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts; Cobra King F8 Gw(50*)SW(54*)LW(58*)all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts.Putter: Tommy Armour Impact No. 3; Bag: Cobra Ultralight Cart bag, Peaccoat Blue.

Driver: image.png.6ba1c8a254ad57aa05e527b74c2e04ba.png0311 XF 10.5* w/Project X Cypher 40 gram Senior shaft or 0811 XF 12* w/Evenflo Riptide CB Senior shaft

Fairways:  image.png.80321f01fc46450b6f428c7daf7b3471.png0211 5W & 7W w/ Evenflo Riptide CB  regular shaft and Tour Edge E521 9W w/Fubuki HD50 regular shaft

Wedges: Edison forged 49*, 53* and 57* wedges with KB PGI Senior shafts(80 grm).

Putter: 33” Evnroll ER6R or  ER2 or Bellum Winmore Model 707,   or Nike Method Core Drone  w/Evnroll Gravity Grip

Ball: Snell MTB Prime X, Maxfli Tour/S/X CG, Titleist Pro V1x or Titleist TruFeel

On 6/15/2020 at 9:06 AM, fozcycle said:

Thanks Rev, it doesn’t bother me much.....getting to like the GW, yesterday had 96 yards to pin and nailed the GW within 3 feet.

Cobra King F8(10.5*) w/ Mitdubishi Tense ck Blue Regular; 3W & 5W Cobra King F8 w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular shafts; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid w/Project X Evenflo Regular shaft; Wilson Staff D-7 5-PW w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts; Cobra King F8 Gw(50*)SW(54*)LW(58*)all w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts.Putter: Tommy Armour Impact No. 3; Bag: Cobra Ultralight Cart bag, Peaccoat Blue.

The GW can be a huge weapon in the set.  It is surprisingly versatile and throws darts on full swings.

Gameday
Vessel Sunday 2.0/ Ogio Silencer
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
:callaway-small:  Mavrik 3w | Evenflow Riptide
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120
:titleist-small: Vokey SM7 (50, 54, 58) | DG 120
bettinardilogo2MGS.png.3b311f05930da73872d3b638ef39f51c.png Studio Stock 15
:titleist-small:-ProV1x (left dash)

Romans 10:9

Classic Bag
Jones Collegiate Clemson Stand Bag

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngEye 2 Laminate
:wilson_staff_small: 1973 Staff Dynapower 4-PW

pinglogo_clemson_MGS.png.f64aa10b6e73d4f55a61d78f590addca.pngAnser

:wilson_staff_small: DUO

6 minutes ago, JohnSmalls said:

The GW can be a huge weapon in the set.  It is surprisingly versatile and throws darts on full swings.

I also like the GW. It's the first time I had a club that I thought was versatile. I learned how to successfully hit a bump and run and a lob shot with it.

PXG 0811 XF driver

At this point it’s possible that GW is the one club that stays in from this set. So far I am refer the G30’s to the D7’s. I played with the G30’s on Friday and shot even. It’s totally the shaft

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

On 6/20/2020 at 9:20 PM, revkev said:

At this point it’s possible that GW is the one club that stays in from this set. So far I am refer the G30’s to the D7’s. I played with the G30’s on Friday and shot even. It’s totally the shaft

How's the testing going Rev?

Gameday
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Dynapwr Carbon | Hzrdus Smoke Black
Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png FG Tour F5 Hybrid(20,23) | MCA Fubuki

Wilsonlogo20Clemson.png.eee77a65568179cdcfb783c9a3e68f4b.png Staff Model CB 5-PW |  DG 120

Classic Bag

These past couple of weeks on the golf course have been a blast and part of it is to do with the D7s.  Accuracy has been effortless recently, these irons are easy to hit and they will reward a good swing as well as anything slightly less than perfect.

When I am striking the ball well I like to get out and try to move the ball left and right for good practice.  So I got out on the course yesterday and did some shot shape testing to the best of my ability (being a baseball player, I came into playing golf with a wicked out to in swing--thankfully can still be dialed up).  These irons make it easy to hit the ball straight, and the more I play them, it is clear that the ball almost wants to go dead straight.  With that, you can move the ball both ways with these irons and they will shape the ball with a little coercion. What I am seeing backs up what I have seen since the official test.  They favor a draw more so than a fade, the effort to hit a high draw seems to mesh a little bit better than a high fade.  When it comes to the extremes a nice big slice versus a big screaming hook, the big screaming hook seems to be a little easier to dial up as well. 

YMMV, but I am going to go back to hitting these guys straight down the target line.

Gameday

Classic Bag

1 hour ago, JohnSmalls said:

How's the testing going Rev?

So far I prefer my G30's - but I received a new LM for Father's Day and I'm off next week - my project will be to have numbers to match up with what my eyes are telling.  My eyes say that I launch the ball higher with the G30's than the D7's and I think that I'm longer with the G30's.  However the D7's seem to be more forgiving and the dispersion is tighter. 

For what it's worth I shot 75 with the D7's in and 72 with the G30's in my last two rounds.  Of course that's not close to enough sample size.  I may have been swinging better the day that I played the G30's.  I hit some spectacular fairway wood shots and putted really well - I actually only missed one green and even that was because I misjudged the wind and knocked it over the green into a back trap leading to double bogey. 

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

IMG_2024.JPG

All set to put the D7’s to the test next week.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

• 2 weeks later...

Okay still struggling with all the bells and whistles of the Rapsodo but I was able to register shots today. Hit 10 7 irons with my G30’s and 10 with the D7. Unfortunately I couldn’t figure out how to differentiate them other than I know which were which.

There are the following issues in making this head to head comparison. The shaft in my G30’s are an inch longer than standard and 10 grams lighter than the ones in D7’s. The D7 7 iron is 2 degrees stronger than the G30’s 7. Also my G30’s are 2 flat which is what I need.
The D7’s are standard.

So what I saw from today was a much tighter dispersion on target with the G30 7 iron. My carry distances were between 144 and 155 with one chunk that would be thrown out. My ball flight varied between straight and a nice draw and launch angles were between 17 and 19.

What I expected was longer with the Ping and tighter dispersion with the Wilson. I also expected to see a higher launch angle with the Ping 7 iron.

However today at least I was far more consistent with the Ping 7 iron. Launch angles were the same, my longest carries were with the D7 but I was all over the place from 139-160 carry and lots of pull draws (I really need these 2 flat.)

I will give it another try on Tuesday

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

• 3 weeks later...

I’m getting better with the Rapsodo monitor and I had time to hit the range before the afternoon rain - in fact that still hasn’t happened.

At any rate in today’s session I hit 10 shots with my 7 iron and 10 with with D7 which I set up under the “other” option that Rapsodo offers.

I threw out the best and worst shots

Average carry with mine was145, ball speed 103, launch 18.6 -

D7 avg carry was 144, bs 102, launch a bit lower 17.9.

Dispersion with both clubs was left of center but much closer and more tightly grouped, very tightly grouped actually with my 7 iron.

I’m going to get the lie on the D7 7 iron bent 2 flat and try a couple of more sessions.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

On 7/24/2020 at 4:01 PM, revkev said:

I’m getting better with the Rapsodo monitor and I had time to hit the range before the afternoon rain - in fact that still hasn’t happened.

At any rate in today’s session I hit 10 shots with my 7 iron and 10 with with D7 which I set up under the “other” option that Rapsodo offers.

I threw out the best and worst shots

Average carry with mine was145, ball speed 103, launch 18.6 -

D7 avg carry was 144, bs 102, launch a bit lower 17.9.

Dispersion with both clubs was left of center but much closer and more tightly grouped, very tightly grouped actually with my 7 iron.

I’m going to get the lie on the D7 7 iron bent 2 flat and try a couple of more sessions.

Thanks for the updates Rev!  It has been an interesting follow to see how this is going.  Funny that your Pings have such a great grip on your bag.  My barber who has a decade and a half or so on you is in the same boat.  He has been fully fit twice, once for P790s and again for Mizunos in the last year---but neither can knock his old Pings out of the bag. 

Gameday

Classic Bag

D7 forged just claimed top spot in MW testing!

Gameday

Classic Bag

Thanks for the updates Rev!  It has been an interesting follow to see how this is going.  Funny that your Pings have such a great grip on your bag.  My barber who has a decade and a half or so on you is in the same boat.  He has been fully fit twice, once for P790s and again for Mizunos in the last year---but neither can knock his old Pings out of the bag. 

Let’s see what happens once I get that loft flattened - I hit them very close to the same distance - you would think that my dispersion would’ve be better with the Wilsons since the shaft is shorter. This is not a done deal until I get that 7 iron lie bent. Especially now that I understand why the shaft is shorter. I thought that I had accidentally order ladies clubs for a bit there.

BTW speaking of graphite iron shafts those KBS tour graphite shafts have made my radars screen

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

In my bag: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Driver, Cobra F8 3W & 5W, Tour Edge CBX119 4 Hybrid, Wilson D7, 5-SW, Bellum Winmore 707 putter. Gamed a Srixon Q Star all day. Last week I had 10 GIR’s while shooting a 78!

My D7’s were spot on all day.

In my bag: Tour Edge Exotics EXS Driver, Cobra F8 3W & 5W, Tour Edge CBX119 4 Hybrid, Wilson D7, 5-SW, Bellum Winmore 707 putter. Gamed a Srixon Q Star all day. Last week I had 10 GIR’s while shooting a 78!

My D7’s were spot on all day.

Foz are your D7’s 2 flat or standard?

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

4 hours ago, revkev said:

Foz are your D7’s 2 flat or standard?

They are 2* Flat.

They are 2* Flat.

And thats why I hit yours straight and am grouping mine left of target - thanks

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

And thats why I hit yours straight and am grouping mine left of target - thanks

Go get them bent correctly......there’s a notch on the heel of each iron.

Tour Edge Exotics EXS(11.5*)w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular; 3W & 5W Cobra King F8 w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular shafts; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid w/Project X Evenflo Regular shaft; Wilson Staff D-7 5-PW + GW + SW w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts; Cobra King F8 LW(58*) w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts.Putter: Bellum Winmore 707; Bag: Cobra Ultralight Cart bag, Peaccoat Blue.

Go get them bent correctly......there’s a notch on the heel of each iron.

Tour Edge Exotics EXS(11.5*)w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular; 3W & 5W Cobra King F8 w/ Mitsubishi Tense ck Blue Regular shafts; Tour Edge CBX119 22* Hybrid w/Project X Evenflo Regular shaft; Wilson Staff D-7 5-PW + GW + SW w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 Regular graphite shafts; Cobra King F8 LW(58*) w/UST Mamiya Recoil 460 ES regular shafts.Putter: Bellum Winmore 707; Bag: Cobra Ultralight Cart bag, Peaccoat Blue.

I’m having the 7 iron bent tomorrow to try it out

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches

Okay had my fitter bend the 7 iron and put my customary 1 wrap under the grip. We were both so happy to see each other that he didn’t charge me! So if you’re in the St Pete area either because you live here or for a visit, Bob Van Sweden is your man.

That change made a huge difference. After a few swings I started hitting high seven irons with a slight draw out past the 150 flag (that was actually 153 when i shot it) slight tail wind left to right (not much help for my draw maybe even a hurt). I was clearly longer with the D7 than the G30 although with a more piercing trajectory.

I’ve learned that the Rapsodo doesn’t function well when the heat index is up over 110 (what does) so I didn’t capture actual data.

I will try another session early next week and if it goes just as well have the rest of the bent, too.

Just goes to show that having the proper fit matters.

This was the club that Foz gave me to swing last March.

Evon roll ER 5 32 inches